THE MUSIC OF R.E.M.
Finest Worksongs: Athens Bands Play The Music Of R.E.M.
Recording of charity tribute concert due on May 29, 2007!
Download: Patterson Hood—”Burning Hell”
On the night of September 12, 2006, eight Athens, GA artists – Liz Durrett, Claire Campbell (Hope For Agoldensummer), Tin Cup Prophette, Modern Skirts, Bain Mattox, The Observatory (featuring 14 members of the Elephant Six collective), Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers), and Five Eight – were slated to play the 40 Watt Club for an event that would make a lasting impression on a town known for its musical highlights. The bands were scheduled to cover their favorite R.E.M. songs as part of Finest Worksongs: Athens Bands Play the Music of R.E.M. The event continued a tradition started in 1992 of holding listening parties in Athens for R.E.M.’s new releases to benefit local organizations, this time for the “best of” collection And I Feel Fine from the band’s early years that was released that day.
Net proceeds from the Finest Worksongs release will benefit Community Connection of Northeast Georgia and Family Connection/Communities in Schools, the two organizations who were beneficiaries of the nearly $13,000 raised on September 12, 2006.
1. Liz Durrett – The One I Love*
2. Claire Campbell – Wendell Gee
3. Tin Cup Prophette – Leave
4. Modern Skirts – Perfect Circle
5. Bain Mattox – Finest Worksong
6. Bain Mattox – (Don’t Go Back To) Rockville
7. Bain Mattox – Fall on Me
8. The Observatory – Underneath The Bunker
9. The Observatory – Pilgrimage
10. The Observatory – Feeling Gravitys Pull
11. Patterson Hood – So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)
12. Patterson Hood – Burning Hell
13. Patterson Hood – Second Guessing Intro
14. Patterson Hood – Second Guessing
15. Patterson Hood – Belong
16. Five Eight – Fiver 8
17. Five Eight – Leaving New York
18. Five Eight – Radio Free Europe
19. Five Eight & Everyone – It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Patterson Hood – (Don’t Go Back To) Rockville [digital only]