Neil Young Preps Film On New Crazy Horse Album ‘Colorado’ With No Tours Scheduled Until 2020
Neil Young revealed he is working on a film documenting the making of the new Neil Young & Crazy Horse album, Colorado. Young and co-producer John Hanlon recently “turned in” the LP to Reprise and a picture on Neil Young Archives shows Side 1 of Colorado, which features “Think Of Me” and a 13+ minute rendition of “She Showed Me Love.” Additionally, a note on Neil Young Archives confirmed there are no tours scheduled before 2020 as Young and the NYA team turn their attention to film projects.
The Crazy Horse lineup that recorded Colorado in Telluride with Neil Young in April features multi-instrumentalist Nils Lofgren, bassist Billy Talbot and drummer Ralph Molina. “We believe we have a great Crazy Horse album, one to stand alongside Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Rust Never Sleeps, Sleeps With Angels, Psychedelic Pill and all the others,” Young wrote at the end of the sessions. Neil debuted “Think Of Me” and “She Showed Me Love” live during a May tour that included solo dates and performances with Promise Of The Real.
As per the documentary on Colorado, Neil explained that the film will tell “the back story of the latest recording from Crazy Horse, a band that really is on its own turf. How the band works together to make music, how the emotions of trying to get a sound go with the emotions of the songs, what the songs are about.” Young noted, “From the engineers, to the musical instrument techs, these guys are in it non stop for as long as it takes to get the songs captured. Like wild horses, the songs, each one an individual, a unique force at play with the emotional landscape, are in control of the dynamic of capture.”
While Neil had previously mentioned he would support the album with a Crazy Horse tour this fall, he has changed gears. “We will be in the editing suites for the duration of 2019, putting some parts of this together for you,” Young disclosed after listing projects in the works. “Thanks for coming to our shows! We plan to be back in 2020!” Rolling Stone shared the list Neil posted on NYA with a few additional details:
- A Rusted out Garage. [Crazy Horse’s 1987 tour]
- Greendale Live [Crazy Horse’s 2002/03 tour]
- Alchemy [Crazy Horse’s 2012/13/14 tour]
- Catalyst [This is a club in Santa Cruz, California Young has played many times between 1975 and 1997. It’s unclear which shows are a part of this film.]
- Tokyo Budokan 76 [A 1976 show in Japan with Crazy Horse]
- London Odeon Hammersmith 76 [A 1976 show in London with Crazy Horse]
- Solo Trans [Young’s one-man show supporting Trans in 1983]
- Stray Gators Harvest Sessions [The 1971 recording sessions for Harvest]
- Greendale Live at Vicar Street [A March 2003 stop of the solo Greendale tour]
- The Boarding House [A 1977 solo acoustic stand at the Boarding House club in San Francisco]
- Silver and Gold [A 1999 solo acoustic tour]
- Stratford Shakespearean Theater 1971 [A January 1971 solo acoustic show in Connecticut]
- Solo BBC 1971 [A BBC solo acoustic show taped February 23rd, 1971]
- Trans 2020 [An animated film by Micah Nelson using the music of Young’s 1982 LP Trans]
A release date for Colorado has not been revealed. Neil Young does have a pair of dates on the books. First up, he will take part in the Harvest Moon Gathering benefit on September 14 and then plays his traditional set at Farm Aid on September 21.