Last night Joe Russo’s Almost Dead performed at Brooklyn Bowl, holding the penultimate show of their their six-night residency at the New York venue. The Grateful Dead tribute act incorporated covers of songs by David Bowie and The Doors during the second of two sets played Friday evening.
Like Thursday’s concert, bassist Oteil Burbridge was filling-in on Friday for regular JRAD bass player Dave Dreiwitz who was on duty with Ween in Chicago. Guitarist Tom Hamilton took the ensemble through an opening rendition of “Sitting On Top Of The World” that settled into guitarist Scott Metzger engineering a “flipped” arrangement of “Easy Wind” with an out-of-sequence offering of the song’s lyrics. Burbridge took a solo during “Eyes Of The World” and drummer Joe Russo was also afforded an extended solo as they progressed from “Eyes” into “Samson & Delilah.” JRAD then busted out “Mission In The Rain,” eventually bringing it into “Loser.” They then worked up an instrumental cover jam on The Doors’ “L.A. Woman” that led to the set closing “Going Down The Road Feeling Bad.”
Marco Benevento crowd surfed at the start of set two before finding his place behind the keyboards as JRAD jammed into “Alligator.” The Almost Dead debut of David Bowie’s “Fame,” complete with lyrics, followed next before giving way to a rendition of “Brown Eyed Women” featuring “They Love Each Other” played within. Oteil led the “Turn On Your Lovelight” that came out of a tease-filled performance of “Not Fade Away” and the set filled out with “Cream Puff War” and “My Brother Esau.” Set two drew to a close with the classic pairing of “Scarlet Begonias” and “Fire On The Mountain.” Burbridge and the members of JRAD took a round-robin approach to the lyrics of “The Weight” encore.
Tonight the group and their special guest bassist return to Brooklyn Bowl for the final show of their residency. A webcast is available from nugs.tv, watch the opening song of each set from last evening’s livestream below:
Setlist (Compiled by Pete Costello)
Set One (9:43PM – 10:51PM) Sitting On Top Of The World (TH) -> Easy Wind @ (SM), Eyes Of The World # (TH) -> Drums -> Samson & Delilah (SM), Mission In The Rain ** (TH) -> Loser $ (TH) -> LA Woman Jam % -> Going Down The Road Feeling Bad ^ (All)
Set Two (11:31PM – 12:56AM) Jam & -> Alligator & * (SM) -> Fame + (MB & TH) -> Brown Eyed Women (TH) -> They Love Each Other @@ (TH) -> Brown Eyed Women Reprise ## (TH), Not Fade Away $$ (All) -> Turn On Your Love Light (OB), Cream Puff War (TH) > My Brother Esau %% (SM), Scarlet Begonias (TH) > Fire On the Mountain ^^(TH)
Encore: The Weight && (All)
- Dave Dreiwitz is on tour with Ween.
- Entire show with Oteil Burbridge on Bass & Vocals.
- OB is Oteil Burbridge Lead Vox. Oteil played 4 string bass for the majority of the night, but played 6 string bass on Eyes. (& I think that’s it.)
- @ – “Flipped” Version – Opened with the last verse sung first. With a Black Throated Wind Tease (SM). Proceeded by blues jam connecting Sitting on Top with Easy Wind that probably included a “Vampire Blues” (Neil Young) Tease (Band)
- # – With a “What’s Going On” (Marvin Gaye) Tease (SM), a “Jessica” (Allman Brothers Band) Tease (TH) & an Oteil Bass Solo
- ** – Not played since 2016-03-24, Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY 2016-03-24 a gap of 35 shows.
- $ – With a Tennessee Jed Tease (MB)
- % – Doors cover, first time played by Almost Dead (Has been teased before). No lyrics sung.
- ^ – With a “Duo Jam” & without the usual instrumental “We Bid You Good Night” ending
- & – With Marco Crowd Surfing
- * – With a Truckin’ tease (SM)
- + – David Bowie Cover, First Time Played By Almost Dead, Partial Version. (Has been teased before.)
- @@ – Partial Version, 2 verses(?) sung
- ## – Not Played since 2015-10-29 at Suwannee Hulaween, Live Oak, FL, a gap of 53 shows
- $$ – With a “Fat Mama” (Herbie Hancock) Tease (MB), China>Rider Transition Tease (TH), a “Fat Mama” (Herbie Hancock) Jam (MB), a “Hoedown” (Aaron Copeland) Tease (MB), an “I Want Candy” (Bow Wow Wow) Tease (MB) & probably more, including for sure an ‘80s tune by a female vocalist that I can’t quite place that’s driving me nuts. 🙂
- %% – With a “Flash’s Theme aka Flash” (Queen/Brian May) Jam (MB)
- ^^ – With a “Borderline” (Madonna) Tease (MB)
- && – TH – Verse One (pulled into Nazareth), SM – Verse Two (picked up my bags), OB – Verse Three (Go down, Miss Moses), JR – Verse Four (Crazy Chester) & All – verse five (Catch the Cannonball)
Saturday’s Trey Anastasio concert in Charlotte featured three songs he hadn’t performed solo acoustic in over a decade.
The initial lineup for the inaugural Camp Greensky has been revealed by Greensky Bluegrass.
Watch a wild end to space featuring three members of Dead & Company on keys followed by a gorgeous “Looks Like Rain” in tribute to John Perry Barlow.
Three-fourths of the Smashing Pumpkins’ classic lineup is reuniting for an extensive summer tour.
Introducing a new festival featuring a bevy of New Orleans acts called Trombone Shorty’s Voodoo Threauxdown.
Pink Talking Fish worked all of Pink Floyd’s ‘The Wall’ double album into a marathon set at The Capitol Theatre that also featured Phish and Talking Heads covers. JamBase contributor Sarah Bourque captured the action.