Full Shows Audio: Twiddle Teams With Kitchen Dwellers & Pigeons Playing Ping Pong In Boulder
Vermont jam act Twiddle made lemonade out of their two-night stand at The Boulder Theater on Friday and Saturday, when co-headliners moe. pulled out due to bassist Rob Derhak’s health issues. Twiddle recruited The Kitchen Dwellers to fill-in on Friday and Pigeons Playing Ping Pong to fill-in on Saturday. Both bands wound up joining Twiddle on stage for a pair of collaborative sets.
On Friday, Twiddle and The Kitchen Dwellers came together for the second set and encore. Friday’s second set featured Kitchen Dwellers originals “Visions Of Mohr,” “Mountain” and “Buckle Down” as well as Twiddle originals “Subconscious Prelude,” “Cabbage Face” and “Hattibagen McRat.” The evening’s encore began with Twiddle guitarist/vocalist Mihali Savoulidis taking the stage by himself for “Hatti’s Jam.” Mihali’s band mates as well as The Kitchen Dwellers eventually joined in for “When It Rains, It Pours.”
Saturday’s show saw Twiddle and Pigeons Playing Ping Pong team up for a lengthy second set. The bands opened with Twiddle’s “Mamunes The Faun” followed by Pigeons’ “F.U.” and a cover of the Ghostbusters theme song. PPPP and Twiddle ended the night with an “Apples” theat featured teases of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and “Girlfriend Is Better” by Talking Heads.
Here’s audio from Friday night taped by Space Tapes along with the setlist:
Set One: Nicodemus Portulay, Syncopated Healing, Doinkinbonk!!!, Orlando’s, Second Wind, Beethoven and Greene
Set Two: Visions Of Mohr, Subconscious Prelude, Mountain, Cabbage Face, Buckle Down, Hattibagen McRat
Encore: Hatti’s Jam -> When It Rains, It Pours
Show Notes: This was the first of a two-night run at The Boulder Theater. Originally Moe. was scheduled to co-headline both nights with Twiddle including a third night at Red Rocks but had to cancel due to health concerns with Rob. As a result, The Kitchen Dwellers filled-in and opened the show.
-  Prior to “Doinkinbonk!!!” the band invited their friend Coyle (who’s birthday was the day before) on stage. He was then knighted by Mihali. Zdenek changed the lyrics of “Doinkinbonk!!!” to “Everybody snarf!”.
-  The entire second set and encore featured the Kitchen Dwellers. “Visions Of Mohr”, “Mountain” and “Buckle Down” were all Twiddle debuts of Kitchen Dwellers originals. Ryan walked off stage before “Buckle Down” so there were no keys on that song or the following “Hatibagen McRat”. He rejoined for the encore.
-  “Hatti’s Jam” started as Mihali solo and then he was joined by the rest of Twiddle and then eventually all of Kitchen Dwellers right before the segue into “When It Rains, It Pours”.
Check out audio from Saturday taped Space Tapes along with the setlist:
Set One: Drifter, Jamflowman, The Fantastic Tale Of Ricky Snickle, Lost In The Cold, Carter Candlestick -> The Great Bodhini -> Carter Candlestick, The Box -> Mortal Kombat -> Juggernaut
Set Two: Mamunes The Faun, F.U., Ghostbusters, Apples
Show Notes: This was the second of a two-night run at The Boulder Theater. This show was sold out. Originally Moe. was scheduled to co-headline both nights with Twiddle including a third night at Red Rocks but had to cancel due to health concerns with Rob. As a result, Pigeons Playing Ping Pong filled-in and opened the show. “Mortal Kombat” was last performed 2016-08-25 (98 shows). “Ghostbusters” was last performed on 2017-03-04 (53 shows).
-  During “Jamflowman” Mihali snapped a string and had to switch guitars during the dark break down.
-  “The Great Bodhini” was a debut.
-  Prior to the transition into “Juggernaut” the band teased the first two chords of “Frankenfoote”.
-  The entire second set featured Pigeons Playing Ping Pong. “F.U.” was a debut Twiddle performance of a Pigeons Playing Ping Pong original.
-  “Apples” contained “Billie Jean” (Micheal Jackson) and “Girlfriend Is Better” (Talking Heads) teases. Near the end, Ryan threw a cabbage into the crowd. There were “Fuck Trump” quotes at the end.
[Setlists via uTwiddle]
Tour Dates for