Bill Withers has recorded a song for the Little Jimmy Dickens tribute album The Rhinestone Hillbilly. The track marks the first solo recording by the legendary retired singer-songwriter since 1985.
Withers performed an arrangement of fellow West Virginian Dickens’ “(You‘ve Been Quite A Doll) Raggedy Ann.” The song is one of 16 featured on the tribute album that includes contributions from the likes of Kathy Mattea, Charlie McCoy, Tim O’Brien, Connie Smith and several others.
Withers made his debut with the release of his 1971 album Just As I Am and retired following his 1985 LP Watching You Watching Me. His career produced hits including “Use Me,” “Lean On Me,” “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lovely Day,” among many more. Since retiring Withers has largely remained out of the public eye.
Stream The Rhinestone Cowboy featuring Withers covering “(You’ve Been Quite A Doll) Raggedy Ann” below:
The Rhinestone Cowboy Tracklist
- Fireball Mail – Charlie McCoy
- Poor Little Darlin’- Tim O’Brien w/ Kathy Mattea
- When Your House Is Not A Home – James Price
- I’m Little but I’m Loud – Mollie O’Brien & Julie Adams
- I’ve Got a Hole in My Pocket – Larry Groce
- Hillbilly Fever – Mayf Nutter w/ Kim McAbee
- How to Catch an African Skeeter Alive – The Carpenter Ants
- (You’ve Been Quite a Doll) Raggedy Ann – Bill Withers
- A-Sleepin’ at the Foot of the Bed – Kathy Mattea
- They’ve Stole My Steel Guitar – Russ Hicks
- We Could – Connie Smith
- Raisin’ the Dickens – Russ Hicks, Robert Shafer, Charlie McCoy, James Price
- Shopping for Dresses – Todd Burge
- Out of Business – John Lilly
- May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose – Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.
- Slow Suicide – Ann Magnuson
Organizers of the annual Mountain Jam music festival have announced the lineup for the 2018 installment.
Dead & Company, featuring members of the Grateful Dead, has confirmed an extensive 2018 Summer Tour.
Neil Young, Members Of The Heartbreakers & More To Play Stephen Stills Light Up The Blues Charity Concert
Stephen Stills will present the 5th Annual Light Up The Blues Concert — An Evening of Music to Benefit Autism Speaks featuring an all-star roster of performers.
Dave Matthews Band will return to the road this summer in support of an upcoming new studio album.
Former Talking Heads frontman David Byrne has announced the American Utopia Tour in support of his upcoming new solo album.
Check out photos and listen to every set played on Sunday in Boca Raton at the Sunshine Music Festival.