Bill Withers has recorded a song for the Little Jimmy Dickens tribute album The Rhinestone Hillbilly. The track marks the first solo recording by the legendary retired singer-songwriter since 1985.
Withers performed an arrangement of fellow West Virginian Dickens’ “(You‘ve Been Quite A Doll) Raggedy Ann.” The song is one of 16 featured on the tribute album that includes contributions from the likes of Kathy Mattea, Charlie McCoy, Tim O’Brien, Connie Smith and several others.
Withers made his debut with the release of his 1971 album Just As I Am and retired following his 1985 LP Watching You Watching Me. His career produced hits including “Use Me,” “Lean On Me,” “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lovely Day,” among many more. Since retiring Withers has largely remained out of the public eye.
Stream The Rhinestone Cowboy featuring Withers covering “(You’ve Been Quite A Doll) Raggedy Ann” below:
The Rhinestone Cowboy Tracklist
- Fireball Mail – Charlie McCoy
- Poor Little Darlin’- Tim O’Brien w/ Kathy Mattea
- When Your House Is Not A Home – James Price
- I’m Little but I’m Loud – Mollie O’Brien & Julie Adams
- I’ve Got a Hole in My Pocket – Larry Groce
- Hillbilly Fever – Mayf Nutter w/ Kim McAbee
- How to Catch an African Skeeter Alive – The Carpenter Ants
- (You’ve Been Quite a Doll) Raggedy Ann – Bill Withers
- A-Sleepin’ at the Foot of the Bed – Kathy Mattea
- They’ve Stole My Steel Guitar – Russ Hicks
- We Could – Connie Smith
- Raisin’ the Dickens – Russ Hicks, Robert Shafer, Charlie McCoy, James Price
- Shopping for Dresses – Todd Burge
- Out of Business – John Lilly
- May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose – Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.
- Slow Suicide – Ann Magnuson
This fall, legendary rockers Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band will resume a tour that was put on hold while Seger underwent emergency spinal surgery.
Allman Brothers Band co-founding guitarist Dickey Betts made his official return to the stage on Thursday, where photographer Lisa Keel captured the action.
Legendary rockers The Rolling Stones had a few surprises in store as they began the latest leg of their No Filter Tour in Ireland on Thursday night.
Stream ‘it’s you,’ the surprise new album available now from Umphrey’s McGee.
A former member of Crystal Garden has alleged sexual misconduct against Boyd Tinsley.
The latest episode of ‘The JamBase Podcast’ includes “The Rundown,” the debut of “Our First Show” featuring members of TAUK and “Reelin’ In The Years” with George Porter Jr.