Bill Withers has recorded a song for the Little Jimmy Dickens tribute album The Rhinestone Hillbilly. The track marks the first solo recording by the legendary retired singer-songwriter since 1985.
Withers performed an arrangement of fellow West Virginian Dickens’ “(You‘ve Been Quite A Doll) Raggedy Ann.” The song is one of 16 featured on the tribute album that includes contributions from the likes of Kathy Mattea, Charlie McCoy, Tim O’Brien, Connie Smith and several others.
Withers made his debut with the release of his 1971 album Just As I Am and retired following his 1985 LP Watching You Watching Me. His career produced hits including “Use Me,” “Lean On Me,” “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lovely Day,” among many more. Since retiring Withers has largely remained out of the public eye.
Stream The Rhinestone Cowboy featuring Withers covering “(You’ve Been Quite A Doll) Raggedy Ann” below:
The Rhinestone Cowboy Tracklist
- Fireball Mail – Charlie McCoy
- Poor Little Darlin’- Tim O’Brien w/ Kathy Mattea
- When Your House Is Not A Home – James Price
- I’m Little but I’m Loud – Mollie O’Brien & Julie Adams
- I’ve Got a Hole in My Pocket – Larry Groce
- Hillbilly Fever – Mayf Nutter w/ Kim McAbee
- How to Catch an African Skeeter Alive – The Carpenter Ants
- (You’ve Been Quite a Doll) Raggedy Ann – Bill Withers
- A-Sleepin’ at the Foot of the Bed – Kathy Mattea
- They’ve Stole My Steel Guitar – Russ Hicks
- We Could – Connie Smith
- Raisin’ the Dickens – Russ Hicks, Robert Shafer, Charlie McCoy, James Price
- Shopping for Dresses – Todd Burge
- Out of Business – John Lilly
- May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose – Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr.
- Slow Suicide – Ann Magnuson
A series of six co-headlining shows featuring Gov’t Mule and The Avett Brothers along with opener The Magpie Salute have been confirmed.
Listen to Widespread Panic dust off a Beatles cover for the first time in over 12 years as part of their first of three shows at The Theater At MGM National Harbor.
Eric Krasno, Bill Nershi, Nicki Bluhm and more will perform at this year’s Music & Art Immersion in Barcelona, Spain.
Grateful Dead tribute act Dark Star Orchestra has a busy summer touring season in store.
The lineup for this July’s Northwest String Summit has been expanded with additional acts and special collaborations.
Music legend David Byrne has added 10 dates to the tail end of his American Utopia Tour, visited the ‘Daily Show’ and shared a video of his single made by students in Detroit.