Stanton Moore Trio Announces All-Star Allen Toussaint Tribute Album
The Stanton Moore Trio has detailed an all-star Allen Toussaint tribute album entitled With You in Mind: The Songs of Allen Toussaint. The collaborative release will be issued on July 21 via Mascot Label Group/Cool Green Recordings and features drummer Stanton Moore, keyboardist David “Tork” Torkanowsky and bassist James Singleton alongside an impressive roster of New Orleans musicians.
Prior to the death of Toussaint in November 2015 at the age of 77, the Stanton Moore Trio was prepared to record a new studio album. Following the unexpected passing of the NOLA icon, Moore decided to forgo previous recording plans and instead recruit fellow local musicians to make a tribute to Toussaint. Renowned performers such as Cyril Neville, Maceo Parker, Trombone Shorty, Nicholas Payton, Skerik, Wendell Pierce and others joined the trio on original Toussaint compositions.
“I didn’t get to work with Allen as often as I’d have liked to, but I did get to.” Moore said. “Allen Toussaint wrote the soundtrack to New Orleans. He came out of an environment that no longer exists. The level of talent and ability and artistry that he embodied — we won’t see this again.”
Neville can be heard on several tracks, including “The Beat” a song which previously had not been recorded that was culled from a book of Toussaint’s poetry. Parker is featured on two tracks, including “Night People” which can be streamed below:
With You in Mind: The Songs of Allen Toussaint Tracklist
- Here Come The Girls (feat. Cyril Neville & Trombone Shorty)
- Life (feat. Cyril Neville, Nicholas Payton & Skerik)
- Java (feat. Nicholas Payton, Donald Harrison Jr. & Trombone Shorty)
- All These Things (feat. Jolynda Kiki Chapman)
- Night People (feat. Maceo Parker)
- The Beat (feat. Cyril Neville)
- Riverboat (feat. Nicholas Payton & Donald Harrison Jr.)
- Everything I Do Gone Be Funky (feat. Maceo Parker)
- With You In Mind
- Southern Nights (feat. Nicholas Payton & Wendell Pierce)