Joe Russo’s Almost Dead Returns To The Fillmore In Philadelphia – Photos, Video & Setlist
Images by: Meredith Kleiber
Joe Russo’s Almost Dead :: 11.26.16 :: The Fillmore :: Philadelphia, PA
Grateful Dead tribute act Joe Russo’s Almost Dead returned to The Fillmore in Philadelphia for a two set performance Saturday night. Drummer Joe Russo, keyboardist Marco Benevento and guitarists Tom Hamilton and Scott Metzger were joined by Jon Shaw, who was filling-in for regular JRAD bassist Dave Dreiwitz who was playing a show with Ween at The Capitol Theatre. The first set featured Dead classics such as “Cumberland Blues,” “Casey Jones,” “Mr. Charlie” and “The Wheel.” The second half featured an interweaving of “Slipknot!” between “Feel Like A Stranger,” “Franklin’s Tower” and “Crazy Fingers” as well as an instrumental rendering of Radiohead’s “Myxomatosis.” The second set drew to end with a sequence made up of “Estimated Prophet” -> “Eyes Of The World” -> “Playing In The Band.” Photographer Meredith Kleiber was at The Fillmore, view her gallery from Philly below.
Setlist (via JRAD Facebook)
Set One: Jam -> Cumberland Blues @ (All) > Here Comes Sunshine # (TH) -> Casey Jones > Mr. Charlie (SM), Marco Solo $ -> The Wheel (All) -> Morning Dew (TH)
Set Two: Feel Like A Stranger (SM) -> Slipknot! (End) -> Franklin’s Tower (TH) -> Slipknot! -> Myxomatosis Jam % -> Slipknot! -> Crazy Fingers (TH) > Estimated Prophet (SM) -> Eyes Of The World & (TH) -> Playing In The Band (SM)
Encore: Going Down The Road Feelin’ Bad -> (All) We Bid You Goodnight (ending) *
- @ – With a “Hoedown” (Aaron Copeland) Tease (MB)
- # – With a “Material Girl” (Madonna) Tease (MB), a Duo Jam & a China Cat Sunflower Tease (TH)
- $ – Bunch of Teases & / or familiar themes in here, including probably a “Dear Prudence” (The Beatles) Tease. See what you can find.
- There was a “Playin’ In the Band” Tease somewhere in the first set as well, tho neither I nor Joe could remember when after the show. Bonus points if someone can connect the dots on that one. Maybe in The Wheel?
- % – Radiohead cover, 3rd time played, not sung
- & – With a JS Bass Solo & Playin In The Band Tease (TH)
- * – “Standard” Instrumental ending for GDTRFB, with a “Cold Rain & Snow” tease (TH)
Tour Dates for
Joe Russo’s Almost Dead
- Live Oak, FL
- 4 days • Oct 24 - 27, 2019
Joe Russo’s Almost Dead at Suwannee HulaweenThe String Cheese IncidentBassnectarAnderson .Paak
Exact performance date not yet confirmed.