George Harrison’s ‘All Things Must Pass’ 50th Anniversary Spotify Covers Playlist
The Beatles guitarist George Harrison released his outstanding solo album, All Things Must Pass, 50 years ago today. The triple album was a hallmark of Harrison’s solo career, and introduced the world to such classic songs as “My Sweet Lord,” “Wah-Wah,” “Isn’t It a Pity,” “What Is Life” and the title track.
Harrison co-produced All Things Must Pass with Phil Spector who employed his signature Wall Of Sound approach to recording. An all-star cast of musicians appeared across the triple LP, the original liner notes reading:
The Following Musicians Contributed To This Album:
- Drums and Percussion: Ringo Starr, Jim Gordon, Alan White
- Bass Guitar: Klaus Voormann, Carl Radle
- Keyboard: Gary Wright, Bobby Whitlock, Billy Preston, Gary Brooker
- Pedal Steel Guitar: Pete Drake
- Guitar: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Dave Mason
- Tenor Saxophone: Bobby Keys
- Trumpet: Jim Price
- Rhythm Guitars & Percussion: Badfinger
- Mal Evans:Tea; Sympathy; and Tambourine and introducing the George O’Hara-Smith Singers
- Orchestral arrangements by John Barham
- Recording Engineers: Ken Scott and Philip McDonald
- Package design & Photography: Tom Wilkes and Barry Feinstein
The contributing members of Badfinger were percussionist Mike Gibbins and guitarists Tom Evans, Pete Ham and Joey Molland. Guitarist Peter Frampton also appeared uncredited. The first four sides of the album featured 18-tracks, two versions of “Isn’t It A Pity” among them. Sides five and six consisted of the improvised and largely instrumental Apple Jam tracks.
The playlist below features covers of each of the songs that made up LP1 and LP2, followed by All Things Must Pass in its original form. The covers are performed by George’s son Dhani Harrison, The Beatles Paul McCartney, All Things Must Pass contributor Eric Clapton (who appears twice, solo and with Sheryl Crow and Brandi Carlile), Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Nina Simone, Norah Jones, Deer Tick, Galaxie 500, Hurray For The Riff Raff and even Weird “Al” Yankovic, among others.
Since “If Not For You” was a cover Bob Dylan’s song from his album New Morning that came out a few months before All Things Must Pass, the playlist has an alternate take from the recording sessions for Dylan’s record, which Harrison played guitar on.
Stream the All Things Must Pass 50th anniversary covers playlist below: