Wakarusa To Resume Today

Wakarusa Suspends Music Due To Weather, Festival Will Resume Today

With winds blowing at over 70 miles per hour and lightening striking the area, Lawrence, Kansas' Wakarusa Music Festival was forced to suspend music Thursday night. With the weather threatening safety the promoters cleared the grounds around 7 p.m. Some of the artists who were slated to appear played shows in the area. With sunny, dry skies in the forecast for today (Friday, June 6) the festival is expected to resume with its schedule.

For those who may have skipped Thursday night and are on their way to Wakarusa, you can check out the Daily Stage Schedule at www.jambase.com/festivals/wakarusa.

[Published on: 6/6/08]

Comments

KCReb Fri 6/6/2008 10:19AM

KCReb

Bummer. I can just see the shade tents rollin along the Kansas plains. Here's to hopin it clears up for the rest of the weekend...

justinc55 Fri 6/6/2008 10:36AM
mr2bits Fri 6/6/2008 10:44AM

With as many things as there are to complain about Wakarusa, they have done an excellent job with scheduling. Quite a few of the bands that people missed on Thursday will play again this weekend.

raygilly Fri 6/6/2008 10:50AM

raygilly

wow, 70 mph, just another festi experience to write home about. i am sure the people down there are making do and i am sure the rest of the weekend will go smoothly. rage on!

wilson021 Fri 6/6/2008 11:04AM

wilson021

Langerado 08 there was a bad storm friday late night. Half of the campsites got blown away. But it was still a great weekend.

Death Cube K Fri 6/6/2008 11:05AM

Death Cube K

I love battling the elements. However, getting cleared off the land must have been difficult to deal with. I am sure people will prevail and the festival will no doubt, RAGE.

briank67 Fri 6/6/2008 11:08AM

briank67

tough break but i'm sure it's still gonna be a fun time. hopefully they'll figure out a way to get those thursday-night bands another chance to play over the weekend. but i concur with raygilly: rage on!!

KimMPLS Fri 6/6/2008 11:28AM

KimMPLS

that's nothing compared to what Summercamp got... entire fest had to evacuate. Cops drove around the grounds ordering people to evacuate and abandon ship...

kalajam Fri 6/6/2008 11:34AM

kalajam

sorry numb not everyone got evacuated, bunch of us said "f^ck it" and we toughed it out!. a captain never abandons his ship

garriswh Fri 6/6/2008 11:59AM

damn, that blows. Glad I decided to pass on the waka this summer i guess.

joolzen1 Fri 6/6/2008 12:26PM

joolzen1

Kalajam I like you style, captain can never abandon his ship

androckguitar Fri 6/6/2008 12:42PM

androckguitar

It's because New Monsoon is playing at this festival

Scarlett5446 Fri 6/6/2008 01:00PM

Scarlett5446

This reminds me of the Bisco tornado last year....

ScIFreak Fri 6/6/2008 01:15PM

ScIFreak

Yea summerCamp was nuts on the last night, Cops were driving around asking us to leave, and I was Like mmmk I'm going back in my tent to hide from the police.

insignia starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/6/2008 01:28PM

i toughed it out at scamp to. it wasn't so bad it only downppoured for 45 mins. I took a 5 minute walk and was completly soaked. But none of the cops even talked to me

Heady Fri 6/6/2008 02:05PM

Heady

none of these stories compare to a fest a friend of mine was at a few years back, i cant think of the name....anyway, point is tho, there was some serious flooding, i mean cars in water up to the windows and shit. and the flooding started real happening real quick and lots of people didnt have time to move their shit or cars. somebody on here will chime in and know what fest i am talkin bout

theterriblebob Fri 6/6/2008 02:36PM

theterriblebob

.....um coventry?

BGsteveBG Fri 6/6/2008 02:57PM

BGsteveBG

Bonnaroo 04, anyone?

PunkJazz Fri 6/6/2008 04:52PM

PunkJazz

pissing contest anyone?

Scarphace Fri 6/6/2008 06:53PM

Scarphace

That sucks Waka is getting more bad publicity. I was there the year it was on lock down and refused to go back. Had I made the decision to give Waka another chance just to be forced to leave on Thursday I would never put my energy towards this fest again. I hope everyone still has a great time and that everyone makes it in, around, and home safely!!!!!

idigmusic Fri 6/6/2008 07:51PM

remember terrapin hill '06

festigirl Sat 6/7/2008 05:59AM

i do remember terrapin,it was my honeymoon. horribly great

Muffinman1 Sat 6/7/2008 07:18AM

Muffinman1

Bonnaroo 04 weather ws crazy. The Dead were delayed because of lightning but they came out and rocked it.

overall Sun 6/8/2008 07:27PM

overall

Haymaker '04 was a real Wizard of Oz experience, too. I'm sort of surprised we haven't heard from some Bible thumper claiming all these festival storms are "by design."

stoney2183 Sun 6/8/2008 08:14PM

Security this year was virtually non-existent for the second straight year. And the 'lock down' year, the only people who got busted (inside the campgrounds) were the ones acting like idiots, doing drug sales in very public places. I had hundreds of friends at that Waka, and NONE were arrested.

This year was somewhat of a bummer- but I lucked out and only got fri and sat. single day tickets, and those two days were great. Ozric Tentacles was awesome, Cake's drummer being late was the shit because that allowed me to see Galactic also instead of choosing between galactic and ozric, and of course, STS9 was the bomb. Flaming Lips were typical, the EXACT same show as Summer Camp. They are a joke, and I wish people would stop booking them. See them once, you've seen them a thousand times. The best part of the lips show was before they started playing and the crew was still setting up.

stoney2183 Sun 6/8/2008 08:15PM

not sure what is going on at Waka right now, as Zappa plays Zappa should be on, but there are/were more thunderstorms tonight. hopefully they didnt have to cancel anything else

Heady Mon 6/9/2008 08:13AM

Heady

terrrapin hill 06 was the fest i was tryin to remember earlier my boy was at where it flooded like crazy. check these pics if yall havent seen any pics from that fest.

PhilnWeird Mon 6/9/2008 10:34AM

PhilnWeird

All Good 2005

Anybody remember that storm/hurricane.

south12 starstar Mon 6/9/2008 11:08AM

We decided to say f*ck it and we were surprised that it wasnt too bad, just an hour spent boxin our friends van haha. What shocked me more is that they cancelled the rest of the nights music after it let up, and Lotus, DVJ Mike Relm never got to play (I had been looking forward to both). I am no meteorologist but I dont think the weather was that bad during their time slots in the Revival TENT, no 70 mph winds either. A lot of people stayed from out-of-state and the least they could have done is TRY to set back up for the late night sets. They also cancelled the music for a small thunderstorm last night which I thought was BS. No Zappa, Mickey Hart Band or anything. Shame on the weather and Waka for saying it was a rain or shine event right under NO REFUNDS on their website. STS9 on Saturday about made up for the missed shows optimistically speaking.

Heady Mon 6/9/2008 02:33PM

Heady

Mon 6/9/2008 08:13AM Show 0 Votes

PhilnWeird Mon 6/9/2008 10:34AM

All Good 2005

Anybody remember that storm/hurricane.

yea i do, definatly some flooding goin on at the bottom of the hill kinda near the rope a dope stage

Heady Mon 6/9/2008 02:34PM

Heady

^^^oops, didnt realize i had copied what i had said, i only ment to copy what PhilnWeird said,

Wombat850 Mon 6/9/2008 02:58PM

Wombat850

Ya but the last show at scamp was awesome. Corn meal in the half trailer with the storm in the background. simply amazing

bubbalu69 Tue 6/10/2008 10:47AM

another reason besdes kids in cuffs to skip his festival-

Jellypunk Tue 6/10/2008 10:28PM

Did anyone catch Head for the Hills, bluegrass/newgrass from Fort Collins--I heard they killed it!! Wish I could have been there for the weekends festivities-

threef starstarstarstar Wed 6/11/2008 12:18PM

Anyone that went to Zambialand at Neverland farms in 04'had to deal with one hell of a good georgia rain. But with only 300 there was plenty of room in the shed to the sickest Zambiland jam.