Wilco Tour: 5 Nights in Chicago

WILCO'S SKY BLUE SKY EARNS GRAMMY NOMINATION FOR BEST ROCK ALBUM
BAND ANNOUNCES WINTER U.S. TOUR DATES INCLUDING
FIVE–SHOW RESIDENCY AT CHICAGO'S RIVIERA THEATRE

Wilco
Sky Blue Sky, the latest Nonesuch Records release by Chicago rock band Wilco, has been nominated for a Grammy Award in the category of Best Rock Album. This marks the band's fourth nomination and also the fourth category in which the band has received a nomination. 2004's A Ghost is Born won Grammy Awards for Best Alternative Rock Album and Best Recording Package and Mermaid Avenue (1998) was nominated for Best Contemporary Folk Recording. The 50th Annual Grammy Awards will be held in Los Angeles on February 10, 2008.

Also upcoming in February, Wilco will return to the road with a string of U.S. concert performances. The on-the-road portion of the tour will begin on February 22 in Cleveland, OH and culminate on March 9 in Des Moines, IA. Other concert dates include a two-night stand at the famed New Orleans nightclub Tipitina's. But before boarding the bus, Wilco will warm up in their hometown of Chicago with a five-show residency at the Rivera Theatre on February 15, 16, 18, 19, and 20.

The Chicago concerts, billed as "five shows exploring the band's complete recorded works," promise a distinct, one-of-a-kind set list each night.

"Over the five nights," says Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, "we will attempt the 'complete Wilco' and try to clear out the dusty corners of the catalog that we haven't attended to in a while."

When it was released earlier this year, Sky Blue Sky earned the band their highest debuting U.S. chart position at #4 on the Billboard album chart and held the #1 spot on college radio for six straight weeks. Spin magazine called it "...the most beguiling guitar rock record of the 21st century... a near perfect album."

Tour Dates
03.03 Mobile Civic Center Mobile, AL
03.04 Tipitina's New Orleans, LA
03.05 Tipitina's New Orleans, LA
03.07 Verizon Theater Houston, TX
03.08 Cain's Ballroom Tulsa, OK
03.09 Val Air Ballroom Des Moines, IA

Check out JamBase's exclusive interview with Jeff Tweedy here...

[Published on: 12/10/07]

Comments

dudeski3 Mon 12/10/2007 09:19AM

dudeski3

5 nights in the greatest city in the world! This run should be one for the ages.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 09:46AM
1048 starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 10:20AM

1048

Never listened to Wilco, but I live in Chicago. I feel like I need to hit up at least one of these shows

gmoo Mon 12/10/2007 11:05AM

gmoo

Wilco is niiiiice.

theivywall starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 11:33AM

theivywall

I friggin love me some Wilco, they've really never made a bad album and they've made some absolute beauts too. I've seen em about 5 times I think and have never been disappointed. caught two of the kicking television shows at the vic and the saturday night show Tweedy's amp was shcoking him and they're was somethign wrong with the outlet so they took acoustic requests for about an hour or so before they fixed the electric situation. theyre that type of band, theyre not technically a jamband per say but theyre guitarist nels cline can definately rip and their drummer Glenn Kotche is probably one of the most unique, impressive drummers I've ever seen. definately worth your time and money and definately deserving of the hype. searching for a home via chicago...

Cleofus starstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 11:53AM

Cleofus

milesgone, quit your whining. What makes you the authority on rock?

D.B.Higdon starstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 12:30PM

D.B.Higdon

Wilco most definitely falls into the rock category; it is the category for those with a discerning taste for rock. The listener engages and is rewarded by a band that puts out mesmerizing studio albums full of intricate touches and live shows that rock. It's music for people who don't want their music spoon fed to them.

I one time saw Wilco open for the Stones, and about 3/4ths of the way into their set, Tweedy stepped up to the mic and said, "Thanks for coming out tonight. Everyone stick around, the Rolling Stones are next." He then started laughing, and said, "I can't believe I just said that."

I would like to be in Chicago for the Being There portion of there catalog.

vollostcom Mon 12/10/2007 01:34PM

vollostcom

god i only wish to be there on one if the nights and get a magical album played like a.m. or ghost is born or any, WILCO is def. in my top 5, i saw them twice this past year, very similar shows, but it was so worth it, i wonder when tweedy will do another solo tour, i miss those...

iko30 Mon 12/10/2007 03:40PM

Will the "complete Wilco" include Dash 7? From my limited knowledge, Jeff won't play it.

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 03:47PM

BGsteveBG

Lame. Now i HAVE to go to 5 shows in a row!!!! theres nothing worse than missing a Wilco show...

Every time i've seen them, its been just that much better than the last show. And their last ACL show was electric!!

And i was at that same show, theivywall!!

briank67 Mon 12/10/2007 03:52PM

briank67

hmmm i dunno this band but a quick myspace listen tells me they sound decent and have some pretty cool jams. i might check out one of those chicago shows but $45ish after ticketbastard fees is pretty steep...are these guys gonna sell out?

airball starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 05:27PM

I really hope that they're using the five-night stay in Chicago to do some filming for a DVD. I believe that the Vic shows during the Kicking TV tour were filmed for a DVD but they didn't like the video quality. Perhaps that's why they chose a different venue. Love that they're planning to break out the older stuff and hope it carries over to the Des Moines show.

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/10/2007 07:41PM

BGsteveBG

briank67 its worth every penny.. they always sell out their chicago shows but i dont think they've done 5 in a row. I bet they still sell out.

The Riv is pretty small

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Tue 12/11/2007 03:34AM
airball Tue 12/11/2007 07:03AM

The title track from SBS and What Light could be considered folk rock, but Hate it Here, Walken, You Are My Face (to name a few) are very much rock. In general, I don't think you can put Wilco in one genre because their songs are so different even within one album.

mcarroll starstarstarstarstar Tue 12/11/2007 09:59AM

mcarroll

Exactly. Wilco have changed on every album, from the alt country beginnings, to almost Beatles-like pop, to experimental folk, experimental rock, psychedelic rock. You mentioned Impossible Germany - that extended dueling electric guitar coda isn't exactly folky, it's more Allman Brothers-ish. So yeah, in general, I would say the best description to encompass all of Wilco's sound would just be rock in general. I don't see how there is even an argument about this.

Flat5 Tue 12/11/2007 06:30PM

Flat5

hey...milesgone...what is it then? huh? just wondering, you never told us what it is

stcornia starstarstarstarstar Tue 12/11/2007 07:31PM

Call it what you will, Wilco is the best thing to happen to music in a long time.

kirkbrew starstarstarstarstar Wed 12/12/2007 03:44PM

kirkbrew

If you lock “rock” up in a nice little box for the ages, God only knows what you would call The Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan, Phish or anyone after Buddy Holly.

Even by a conservative evaluation, there is lots of rock on SBS. Hate it Here, Walkin’, Shake it Off, Side With The Seeds. Other songs may dabble in other genres, but more rock than anything else.

Who else is nominated in the Rock Album category??? Springsteen (for the same old, same old), John Fogerty, Daughtry (you got to be shitting me) and Foo Fighters??? Wilco don’t stand a chance. When brilliance floats in a sea of shit, the Grammies reach for the turd.

This will be a lot different from the Vic run. I get the impression that they will play different songs each night without repeating over the 5 night run? To do so would run their catalog.

Also worth nothing from the Wilco site: “Wilco's September 12 show at Millennium Park in downtown Chicago raised over $75,000 for the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless.” Add that to the thousands they have raised for local charities with poster sales, Tweedy’s solo shows and his other philanthropic efforts. Very cool.

abreathofcologne starstarstarstarstar Wed 12/12/2007 09:37PM

I saw them last time they played in Philly. Front row center. My Morning Jacket opened up for them and there was a dance club next door which Tweedy said sounded like "a shoe in a dryer."

I'll definitely be there in Philly. Can't wait!

dbailin Thu 12/13/2007 07:25AM

Anyone know how to get the pre-sale password for the New Haven show at the Schubert

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 12/14/2007 04:17AM

flat5 I will call it indie folk rock. cos its light usually, not very aggressive. and I only say this from a couple of albums I have listened to.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 12/14/2007 04:25AM

I guess I mean light rock. Ohh forget it.. I give up.

impossible germany is a really nice number though.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 12/14/2007 04:40AM

flat5 give me your description plz.

bobertjohnson Mon 12/17/2007 11:04PM

miles why do I consistently see you on threads bitching, never have you not been bitching.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Wed 12/19/2007 05:38AM

apparently I gripe only on threads that interest you bobert.

if u saw the other posts I have made on bands I love, u would not see all gripes... its true!! peace out.