As we reported, Umphrey’s McGee revealed on Sunday night that this year’s New Year’s run will take place in their hometown of Chicago. We told you to expect full details later this week and now is that time.
Umphrey’s McGee played their first-ever New Year’s Eve show on December 31, 2000 at the Cubby Bear in their hometown of Chicago. From that night through December 31, 2010 UM rang in the New Year at various Chicago venues. In 2011, the band moved the festivities to St. Louis and then alternated between Atlanta and Denver for the next four New Year’s runs. This year, Umphrey’s McGee will finally bring New Year’s back to The Windy City.
The 2016 – 2017 New Year’s run will consist of three shows. On December 29, the sextet will play the more cozy confines of The Riv, where they rang in 2004 and 2010. Then, on December 30 and 31, Umphrey’s McGee will end the year with a pair of performances at the larger Aragon Ballroom, a venue that has hosted four previous New Year’s Eve shows. Chicago fans have patiently awaited the return of UM to their long-time home city and it comes after the band played Chicago’s North Coast Music Festival on Sunday and the more intimate Concord Music Hall on Saturday night.
Colorado funk act The Motet have been tapped to open on the 30th. Umphrey’s Pre-Sale will offer a limited amount of discounted three-show tickets for $149.00. These passes will be made available exclusively through Umphrey’s Ticketing; single show tickets be available starting with the public on-sale. Pre-sale and umVIP on-sale begins Saturday September, 10 at 10:00 a.m. CT. Public on-sale begins Saturday, September 17 at 10:00 a.m. CT.
Past Umphrey’s McGee New Year’s Eve Shows
- 2015 – Fillmore Auditorium – Denver, CO
- 2014 – The Tabernacle – Atlanta, GA
- 2013 – Fillmore Auditorium – Denver, CO
- 2012 – The Tabernacle – Atlanta, GA
- 2011 – The Pageant – St. Louis, MO
- 2010 – The Riviera Theatre – Chicago, IL
- 2009 – Aragon Ballroom – Chicago, IL
- 2008 – The Auditorium Theatre – Chicago, IL
- 2005 – 2007 – Aragon Ballroom – Chicago, IL
- 2004 – The Riviera Theatre – Chicago, IL
- 2001 – 2003 – The Vic Theatre – Chicago, IL
- 2000 – The Cubby Bear – Chicago, IL