Merge Records Announces ‘Going To Georgia’ Covers Compilation
William Tyler, Hiss Golden Messenger and Arcade Fire‘s Will Butler are among the artists who covered Georgia-centric music for Merge Records’ Going To Georgia compilation. Proceeds from the newly-released 16-track set, which is available exclusively via Bandcamp, benefit a pair of organizations fighting for voter rights in The Peach State and beyond: Fair Fight and Mijente.
Tyler offers a take on The Allman Brothers Band instrumental “Little Martha,” Hiss Golden Messenger reworks Cat Power’s “The Greatest” and Butler adds his own spin to R.E.M.’s “Electrolite.” Other covers featured on Going To Georgia include Titus Andronicus‘ rendition of Indigo Girls’ “Closer To Fine,” Torres‘ version of “Topaz” by The B-52s, Wye Oak‘s take on Pylon’s “Crazy,” Fruit Bats‘ “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long” tribute to Otis Redding and H.C. McEntire‘s recording of Trisha Yearwood’s “Georgia Rain” featuring Amy Ray and Angel Olsen.
We live in North Carolina, where a racist Republican legislature has worked for a generation to undermine democracy through unprecedented voter suppression. Our neighbors in Georgia have successfully fought back, through the efforts of Fair Fight and other organizations. The voters who turned Georgia blue in November can now elect Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff, take back power in the Senate, and make true progress possible in this country.
The Merge artists on this comp came together quickly, recording in various quarantine situations, to pay tribute to their favorite artists from Georgia, or maybe just record their favorite songs with “Georgia” in the title, and to support those working hard in Georgia to make sure everyone’s voice is heard.
Voter registration in Georgia ends Dec. 7!
Early voting period starts December 14!
Election day is January 5!
Stream Titus Andronicus’ cover of “Closer To Fine” by Indigo Girls and purchase the compliation, with Bandcamp waiving its revenue share today for the final Bandcamp Friday of 2020, below:
Going To Georgia Tracklist
- Will Butler – Electrolite [R.E.M.]
- Fruit Bats – I’ve Been Loving You Too Long [Otis Redding]
- Superchunk (feat. William Tyler) – When I Laugh [The Glands]
- Eric Bachmann – The Truth [Precious Bryant]
- H.C. McEntire (feat. Amy Ray & Angel Olsen) – Georgia Rain [Trisha Yearwood]
- Ayes of Love – You’re Just About to Lose Your Clown [Ray Charles]
- The Rock*A*Teens – The End of the World [Brenda Lee]
- William Tyler – Little Martha [The Allman Brothers Band]
- Wye Oak – Crazy [Pylon]
- Ibibio Sound Machine – Save Their Souls [Bohannon]
- Hiss Golden Messenger – The Greatest [Cat Power]
- TORRES – Topaz [The B-52’s]
- Ross Flournoy (of Apex Manor) – Rainy Night in Georgia [Brook Benton]
- Titus Andronicus – Closer to Fine [Indigo Girls]
- The Orbiting Human Circus – The Flowers of Jeremy Ayers’ Garden [R.E.M.]
- Gauche – Song for a Future Generation [The B-52’s]
- Lambchop (feat. David Kilgour) – Georgia Considers the Two Blue Ones (Thursday) [Yo La Tengo]