March Madness Live Covers Tournament Round 1
JamBase presents the March Madness Live Covers Tournament, a fan-voted competition that will start with 32 competitors (and in some cases special guests) and will end with one live cover being named this year’s champion. Each cover song is by a different artist and each competitor could only appear once, though not counting those guest spots.
The March Madness Live Covers Tournament is powered by the JamBase Live Video Archive (JBLVA), which features over 100,000 live music videos that are easy-to-find, filter and watch all in one convenient place.
Round 1 will be a choice between two renditions of the same song, with the winning cover moving on to next week’s round. Subsequent rounds will be different covers competing against each other. Voting for this round is open between now and 11:59 p.m. PT Sunday night.
To keep the playing field level, we present the entries without comment or commentary, letting the cover performances speak for themselves. Clicking the videos below with multiple songs will start the footage at the indicated cover.
Some of the opening round matchups include Goose vs. Pigeons Playing Ping Pong, JHa vs. BB, Dave Matthews Band with Warren Haynes vs. Widespread Panic with Jerry Joseph, GSBG vs. JRAD, Bisco vs. Ween and Phish vs. SCI, among other exciting Round 1 pairings.
Now Go Vote On Live Music!
1. Little Wing By Jimi Hendrix
Who covered Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing" better?
- Tedeschi Trucks Band with Trey Anastasio 84%
- Phil Lesh & Friends 16%
2. The Weight By The Band
Who covered The Band's "The Weight" better?
- moe. with Zac Brown 54%
- Dead & Company 46%
3. Tomorrow Never Knows By The Beatles
Who covered The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" better?
- Goose 73%
- Pigeons Playing Ping Pong 27%
4. Kashmir By Led Zeppelin
Dopapod with The Blend Horns & Turkuaz Horns | June 11, 2016
Who covered Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" better?
- Umphrey's McGee with Kanika Moore 77%
- Dopapod with The Blend Horns & Turkuaz Horns 23%
5. Cortez the Killer By Neil Young
Who covered Neil Young's "Cortez The Killer" better?
- Widespread Panic with Jerry Joseph 55%
- Dave Matthews Band with Warren Haynes 45%
6. Whipping Post By The Allman Brothers Band
Who covered The Allman's Brothers Band's "Whipping Post" better?
- Frank Zappa 69%
- Spafford 31%
7. Wish You Were Here By Pink Floyd
Who covered Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" better?
- Gov't Mule 68%
- Yonder Mountain String Band 32%
8. Take Me Home, Country Roads By John Denver
Who Cover John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" better?
- Brandi Carlile 73%
- Mountain Man 27%
9. Wharf Rat By Grateful Dead
Who covered the Grateful Dead's "Wharf Rat" better?
- Billy Strings 86%
- Yo La Tengo with William Tyler, Steve Gunn & Fred Armisen 14%
10. Let’s Dance By David Bowie
Who covered David Bowie's "Let's Dance" better?
- Ween 55%
- the Disco Biscuits 45%
11. American Girl By Tom Petty
Who covered Tom Petty's "American Girl" better?
- Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit 59%
- Fruition 41%
12. Purple Rain By Prince
Who covered Prince's "Purple Rain" better?
- My Morning Jacket 69%
- TAUK 31%
13. Angel From Montgomery By John Prine
Who covered John Prine's "Angel From Montgomery" better?
- Jennifer Hartswick, Strangefolk & Friends 77%
- Brendan Bayliss 23%
14. Atlantic City By Bruce Springsteen
Who covered Bruce Springsteen's "Atlantic City" better?
- Greensky Bluegrass 56%
- Joe Russo's Almost Dead 44%
15. This Land Is Your Land By Woody Guthrie
Who covered Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" better?
- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings 66%
- The Avett Brothers 34%
16. Boogie On Reggae Woman By Stevie Wonder
Who covered Stevie Wonder's "Boogie On Reggae Woman" better?
- Phish 80%
- The String Cheese Incident 20%
Be sure to explore the JamBase Live Video Archive (JBLVA) for even more live covers that might make next year’s tournament. Stay tuned for next week’s Round 2 to see who wins this week’s head-to-head covers competition. Remember, voting is open until 11:59 p.m. PT on Sunday night (March 7).