Happy Birthday Bob Weir | Ten Bob Weir Guest Spots
Bobby is a master of the rhythm guitar with a style all his own that was the perfect foil for Jerry Garcia’s leads in the Grateful Dead. He’s also responsible for co-writing some of the best songs in the band’s catalog and has a distinctive vocal presence. Weir showed off these skills, and in many cases those songs, as a guest with some of our favorite bands over the years. To celebrate Bobby’s birthday, we’ve compiled ten outstanding guest appearances from Weir.
1. Bob Weir with moe. -09/04/2011 -“Other One” > “Smokestack Lightning” > “Other One”
Bobby adds guitar and vocals to a version of “The Other One” that moved into “Smokestack Lightning” territory with moe. at the 2011 installment of moe.down.
2. Bob Weir with Wilco -08/04/2013 -“St. Stephen”
Weir’s handful of appearances on last summer’s AmericanaramA tour were memorable, especially when he sat in with Wilco on a screaming version of “St. Stephen” that showcased guitarist Nels Cline at Shoreline Amphitheatre.
3. Bob Weir with Phish -10/06/2000 -“West L.A. Fadeaway”
Bobby sat in with Phish at the penultimate show before the band took their first hiatus in 2000. Weir sang one of Jerry’s tunes as he led the Vermonters through “West L.A. Fadeaway” at Shoreline Amphitheatre.
4. Bob Weir with The Avett Brothers -06/07/2014 -“The Race Is On”
The guitarist’s first-ever guest appearance with The Avett Brothers took place back in June at Mountain Jam. He later sat in with The Avetts at Red Rocks.
5. Bob Weir with My Morning Jacket & Ryan Bingham -08/04/2013 -“Glory Days”
One of the more surprising Weir guest appearances also took place at the AmericanaramA tour stop in Shoreline, when he lent his talents to a cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days” during My Morning Jacket’s set.
6. Bob Weir with The Mother Hips -10/14/2010 -“Maggie’s Farm”
Bobby guested with Bay Area favorites The Mother Hips on a Dylan cover at the R.A.N. (Rainforest Action Network) Benefit at The Metreon in San Francisco on October 14, 2010.
7. Bob Weir with Primus -05/25/2012 -“The Other One”
Bobby’s longstanding relationship with RatDog drummer Jay Lane paid dividends for Summer Camp attendees in 2012, where Lane was performing with Primus. Weir came out to lead the group through “The Other One” on May 25.
8. Bob Weir with Levon Helm Band & Joe Russo -07/22/2011 -“Deep Elem Blues”
The Grateful Dead and The Band shared bills many times, but Bobby’s last performance with The Band drummer Levon Helm came at the 2011 installment of Gathering Of The Vibes.
9. Bob Weir with Widespread Panic -06/12/2005 -“I Ain’t Superstitious,” “Wang Dang Doodle” and “Little Red Rooster”
One of the best moments of Bonnaroo 2005 came when Weir emerged during Widespread Panic’s set on June 12 for a string of three bluesy classics.
10. Bob Weir with Umphrey’s McGee -09/06/2011 -“Not Fade Away” > “Glory”
Umphrey’s McGee collaborated with Weir for the first time on September 6, 2011 at Brooklyn Bowl, where Bobby came out for “Not Fade Away” as well as the UM original “Glory.”