Elton John Announces New Album ‘The Lockdown Sessions’ Featuring Brandi Carlile, Eddie Vedder & More
Stevie Nicks, Miley Cyrus, Gorillaz, Charlie Puth, Lil Nas X, SG Lewis, Surfaces, Young Thug and Nicki Minaj are among other contributors.
Legendary musician Elton John put together a new album featuring collaborations mainly recorded remotely over the past 18 months as The Lockdown Sessions. The 16-track collection, set for release through Interscope Records on October 22, features songs Elton performed with an impressive roster of artists, including Brandi Carlile, Eddie Vedder, Stevie Nicks, Stevie Wonder, Miley Cyrus and many others.
The Lockdown Sessions was spawned by Elton’s efforts participating in various projects and hosting the Apple Music show Rocket Hour, as he enjoyed getting to know new musicians and returning to his roots as a session musician while self-quarantining due to the pandemic. Ten of the album’s 16 tracks are previously unreleased and five songs on The Lockdown Sessions were produced by Andrew Watt. Gorillaz, Charlie Puth, Lil Nas X, SG Lewis, Surfaces, Young Thug and Nicki Minaj are more collaborators featured on the LP.
Elton shared the following about his 32nd studio album:
“The last thing I expected to do during lockdown was make an album. But, as the pandemic went on, one‐off projects kept cropping up. Some of the recording sessions had to be done remotely, via Zoom, which I’d obviously never done before. Some of the sessions were recorded under very stringent safety regulations: working with another artist, but separated by glass screens. But all the tracks I worked on were really interesting and diverse, stuff that was completely different to anything I’m known for, stuff that took me out of my comfort zone into completely new territory. And I realised there was something weirdly familiar about working like this. At the start of my career, in the late 60s, I worked as a session musician. Working with different artists during lockdown reminded me of that. I’d come full circle: I was a session musician again. And it was still a blast.”
John recently unveiled “Cold Heart (PNAU Remix)” on which he worked with Dua Lipa. Today comes word the track opens The Lockdown Sessions. Listen to the duet featuring portions of Elton hits “Sacrifice” and “Rocket Man” below:
The Lockdown Sessions Tracklist
- Elton John & Dua Lipa – Cold Heart (PNAU Remix)
- Elton John, Young Thug & Nicki Minaj – Always Love You
- Surfaces feat. Elton John – Learn To Fly
- Elton John & Charlie Puth – After All
- Rina Sawayama & Elton John – Chosen Family
- Gorillaz feat. Elton John & 6LACK – The Pink Phantom
- Elton John & Years & Years – It’s a sin (global reach mix)
- Miley Cyrus feat. WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo & Chad Smith – Nothing Else Matters
- Elton John & SG Lewis – Orbit
- Elton John & Brandi Carlile – Simple Things
- Jimmie Allen & Elton John – Beauty In The Bones
- Lil Nas X feat. Elton John – One Of Me
- Elton John & Eddie Vedder – E-Ticket
- Elton John & Stevie Wonder – Finish Line
- Elton John & Stevie Nicks – Stolen Car
- Glen Campbell & Elton John – I’m Not Gonna Miss You