Thievery Corp: New Album

Thievery Corporation to Release New Album
Radio Retaliation out September 23 / Select live U.S. and European dates in the fall

Thievery Corporation
Internationally acclaimed artists Thievery Corporation are set to release their fifth studio album entitled Radio Retaliation on September 23 on ESL Music. Consisting of Rob Garza and Eric Hilton who are also highly regarded for their production and DJ skills, Thievery Corporation are best known for fusing a vast array of cultural influences in their music and this record takes that to the next level with inspiration from sounds from Jamaica, Latin America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East. The album was recorded in the band's hometown of Washington DC and the vibe is decidedly political which is no surprise given the high profile presidential campaign happening this year. A pre-release will be available on Itunes on September 9 which will feature an exclusive non album track entitled "Philosopher's Stone" available for the two weeks leading up to the CD hitting retail outlets.

"Radio Retaliation is definitely a more overt political statement," says Garza. "There's no excuse for not speaking out at this point, with the suspension of habeas corpus, outsourced torture, illegal wars of aggression, fuel, food, and economic crises. It's hard to close your eyes and sleep while the world is burning around you. If you are an artist, this is the most essential time to speak up."

"Apart from a few independent bastions, there is no musical or informational freedom on the U.S. airwaves anymore. They've been bought up, consolidated and homogenized. Radio Retaliation is about an exodus of conscious people who are willing to acknowledge something is wrong with the 'official version' in news and culture," explains Hilton.

Thievery Corporation always have an impressive cast of characters involved in their recording and this record is no different with guests including: Nigeria's Afrobeat heir Femi Kuti, Brazilian star vocalist and guitarist Seu Jorge, Indian sitar virtuoso Anushka Shankar, Slovakian chanteuse and violinist Jana Andevska, and Washington DC's own go-go originator Chuck Brown. Also returning are long time collaborators Sleepy Wonder, LouLou, Notch, Zee, and Verny Varela.

The band plan to take their show on the road with an impressive 15 member live ensemble for select dates in the U.S. and Europe this fall and will also hit the festival circuit in the spring and summer of '09. Announced dates include: 10/10 & 10/11 in Greece, 10/16 in Romania, 10/24 in Houston, 10/25 at the Voodoo Festival in New Orleans, and 10/26 in Dallas.

Check out our exclusive Thievery Corporation interview on JamBaseTV here.

[Published on: 8/19/08]

Comments

breadloaf Tue 8/19/2008 10:38AM

I really enjoy their sensibilities. Bought their first recording entirely on a whim and still dig their work immensely. Their mixes of other artists are outstanding, too.

jordonimo Tue 8/19/2008 10:52AM

jordonimo

can't wait to hear this, i've been a fan of theirs for quite awhile now

kindro starstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 10:57AM

Can't wait for this one!

George W. Bush II starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 11:39AM

George W. Bush II

I've been a fan of Thievery for many years, but my first time seeing them was this year at rothbury. Let me just tell you, these guys rocked it harder than anyone I have ever seen, had me dancin like never before. Also their message comes across so incredibly strong, I feel like it set my life into motion.

sitdancer starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 12:06PM

sitdancer

I have never been lucky enough to catch a live show, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for some NC love or a suitable festi next summer! All their work is fantastic, and I am sure I will enjoy this new album as well, but to see them with their full band has been a dream for long.

AintNoFreedom starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 12:15PM

AintNoFreedom

Great news to come home to after a long day at work. Now for the announcement of a Boston show...

Gille starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 12:22PM

Gille

These guys threw down THE best show at Summerfest this year. I love all the live vocals and instrumentation they are incorporating into their shows. I cannot wait for this tour to be announced! So original...so good.

drdank551 starstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 12:23PM

drdank551

I caught them last Oct. in Vegas for Vegoose, missed their late night, which i hard was ridiculous, but redeemed myself by catchin their festi set, the Sitar player Seu Jorge, has the reincarted soul of Ravi Shankar, and then all the vocalist came out, holy shit each song was a diff. featured artist, I was expecting just DJ set, not entire performance, blew my mind away, a def. don't miss, gotta see em again, super excited for the new material

louie1827 starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 12:48PM

oh hell yeah, i hope this is better than versions though that album was good but a let down compared to where they already set the bar

sleewell Tue 8/19/2008 01:13PM

sleewell

these guys are great, cant wait to hear this album!

Phishgirl25 starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 02:19PM

Phishgirl25

These dudes blew me away back when i just saw them as dj's. The live band and array of vocalists takes the thievery experience to the next level, i love that they are sticking with it. I'll see them in 09 asmuch as i can.

Ointment starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 02:36PM

Ointment

Theses guys are my favorite live show touring the scene today. Can't wait to hear the new stuff.

Deucesturf Tue 8/19/2008 02:38PM

Deucesturf

This is awesome, saw them live once, as one of my friends put it 'its the sexiest music you'll ever hear' he was absolutely right.

jesposito starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 03:57PM

jesposito

Love these guys! Their live show is incredible when they have their full band. Saw them at langerado this year for the first time and I cannot wait to see them again! They totally rocked!

sman Tue 8/19/2008 05:01PM

sman

cant wait for the new record... and hopefully a full tour, please come to Asheville!!!

briank67 Tue 8/19/2008 05:13PM

briank67

never seen this 'band' because i didn't make it to summerfest and i'm still waiting on a chicago show. i love their music though, i played a few albums at a beach volleyball tournament and everyone loved it...

but i'm not sure about comparing anyone to ravi shankar!

Death Cube K Tue 8/19/2008 05:33PM

Death Cube K

shibby

weenhead420 starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 06:17PM

weenhead420

Sounds great, can't get enough of these guys.

George W. Bush II starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 08:00PM

George W. Bush II

Words cannot express how sweet their live show is and if their new cd is anything like their live show then its gonna shred Versions.

boxofrain starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 08:29PM

RIP Leroe Moore(DMB)....Oh yeah Thievery is the shiiiiiit!!!!!

Chiber starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/19/2008 09:49PM

Chiber

Yup!! They set the place to blazin' at Rothbury and new material is stellar news. I have been a long time Primus devotee and left Thievery mid set to catch some PRIMUS. Within ten minutes I found myself, brother and fiance' high tailin' it back to the Thievery set on a mission!! I hope they spread their tour around nicely for all us fine folks spread around so nicely! Superb and one for the books.

allthink Tue 8/19/2008 11:54PM

allthink

booxfrain....RIP LEROI...But Thievery at Rothbury was absolutely ridiclous incredible, dirty dirty dance party...

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 04:12AM

they were one of the best bands at langerado this year.

cajunmike420 Wed 8/20/2008 06:48AM

cajunmike420

right on. thievery is the grand daddy purp of beats to me.

MutilatedLips starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 06:48AM

MutilatedLips

I love these guys! Havent seen them live yet, but I can only imagine...

Jazzzzz starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 08:57AM

Jazzzzz

oh god here come the goosebumps. can you say having sex by dancing? ohhhh i can feel it. bring it too me baby!!! can't wait to see you guys..... yummiiiiiieee!!!!!!

snausages Wed 8/20/2008 09:30AM

snausages

ah yes thievery corporation...you gotta love these guys!

i'm looking forward to the album and touring with them next year also.

if you haven't seen them live..it's a treat...you have to check it out.

rainydaywomen420 starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 10:19AM

rainydaywomen420

i deeply regret not seeing them at rothbury, my crew had a few loyal primus devotees, as for me i love les but i just wasnt feeling primus at the time being, had lost my schedule and didnt know they were playing. Heard from many it was their fav show of the festi., as for their belly dancer....simnply put, WOW.

Ointment starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/20/2008 02:43PM

Ointment

my favorite show at langerado and rothbury

Jeff Kash Fri 8/22/2008 03:05PM

Jeff Kash

Hell yeah! These guys bring the heat! Good shit!