Mike Gordon Solo Album

MIKE GORDON SET TO RELEASE DEBUT SOLO ALBUM
THE GREEN SPARROW OUT ON ROUNDER RECORDS AUGUST 5

Mike Gordon
Rounder Records is proud to announce the release of Mike Gordon's solo album, The Green Sparrow. Set for an August 5 release, The Green Sparrow finds the accomplished Phish bassist showcasing his wide range of influences in a confident ten-track album that reminds us that Gordon is one of the most imaginative and mold-breaking musicians in music today. Recorded at Gordon's home studio in Vermont and mixed at The Barn, his former band's studio and art space, The Green Sparrow features special guests Chuck Leavell, Phish's Trey Anastasio and Page McConnell, Bill Kreutzmann, Ivan Neville and horn players from Antibalas.

Since the break up of Phish in 2004, Gordon has participated in many projects, none of which have been purely solo. An artist known for his endless creativity and touring stamina, Gordon took 2007 off from touring and dedicated his time to writing this record. The end result is an eclectic album boasting Gordon's skillful assimilation of free-form rock & roll, calypso, pop and funk that showcases a unexpected side to Gordon¹s songwriting.

From the deeply rooted funk of "Radar Blip" to the rousing intricacies of "Andelman's Yard," from the spirited rock of "Traveled Too Far" to the punch of "Another Door," The Green Sparrow is a playful album from an artist who continually reveals new layers of far-reaching invention.

Gordon will play select festivals this July and will embark on a nationwide club tour in August and September. Tour dates to be announced shortly.

Upcoming Festival Dates:
07.04 Rothbury Festival Rothbury, MI
07.06 High Sierra Music Festival Quincy, CA
07.12 All Good Music Festival Masontown, WV
07.19 Mile High Music Festival Denver, CO
08.02 Gathering of The Vibes Bridgeport, CT

[Published on: 5/19/08]

Comments

Robusto Mon 5/19/2008 02:17PM

Robusto

Cactus.

MarkBC Mon 5/19/2008 02:28PM

MarkBC

GORDOOOO

jtcincy Mon 5/19/2008 02:39PM

jtcincy

The secret is out!!! We love Gordon!!! Se ya at High Sierra!!!

johnnygoff starstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 02:40PM

johnnygoff

cactus in buffalo "in the square" = woohoos! later this summer.

He looked in great health at the Jammys! Gordo must be workin out.

this should make for an interesting album. but wheres LEO?

Scarphace Mon 5/19/2008 02:49PM

Scarphace

I hate it when people post messages that show off their complete and total ignorance. Mike holds a BA in Arts from The University of Vermont. He wrote 17 Phish originals and coauthored 22 more. He was just given the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Jammy's. He was part of the House Band that recently performed in honor of our current US Speaker of the House of Respresentatives. He plays banjo, bass, piano, harmonica, and percussion. He is also an accomplished film maker as well as musician. Not to mention all the other amazing musicians he has performed with, Mike is, was, and forever will be a founding member and contributor of the phenomenon that is Phish. To say he "SUCKS" is just letting every person who reads these threads know that you are a completely and totally ignorant fan of the music you are bashing. I am happy to see Mike doing his thing (seeing his huge smile next to Leo Kotke at High Sierra made me cry) and look forward to a time when I will again see him walk on stage with the rest of the Phabulous Phoursome. Much love and respect to an amazing man!!!!!!!!!

PunkJazz starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 02:51PM

PunkJazz

Get em Mike!

minutes Mon 5/19/2008 02:56PM

the questions is......who is in his band? I have heard rumors for months from New England area musicians who auditioned, etc, etc, but no word on anything or anyone. Who is in his touring band?

rollamcnut starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 03:15PM

rollamcnut

Long Live The Cactus!!!!

theivywall starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 03:22PM

theivywall

Cactus? I'm sorry, I have to admit lack of familiarity...

Mike Gordon's great, his bass is key to Phish's sound.

Jenny Jen Mon 5/19/2008 03:37PM

Jenny Jen

Kudos on the Dap Kings... Take me ouuut!... Good to hear some new juicy spaced out cow-funk is on the way! Inside Out was great (and why is this story referring to this album as his solo DEBUT? I know Inside Out was a sort of "re-invented soundtrack" to his film, but... Yeah. Can't wait to hear this stuff...

derreck starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 03:39PM

derreck

YEAH Mike!!!!

Grateful Red Mon 5/19/2008 04:30PM

Grateful Red

"Mike Gordon doesn't play the most notes on the bass, but he plays the most right notes."

-Leo Kottke (guitar svengali)

meinside (total d-bag)

DelrayChris Mon 5/19/2008 04:38PM

DelrayChris

Mike, bless you and your schnoz.

acomma Mon 5/19/2008 04:42PM
HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 05:22PM

HoodooVoodoo

A few years back the Sam Goody Music store at my local mall was shutting its doors for good. The store was almost empty and all of the remaining CDs were being sold for $1 each. I found a copy of Inside In by Mike Gordon and found it to be an amazing record. I enjoyed it more than any of the last couple Phish releases. I'm looking forward to the new release. I just hope that Mike has stopped taking "art photos." ;)

CaptColorado starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 05:53PM
kirkbrew starstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 07:56PM

kirkbrew

Creepy? Just because you don't get he guy doesn't make him creepy. It may be easy to confuse "creepy" with other personality traits and it is you projecting your own disfunction. Sad but true.

Furthermore, you must not know many artist. Great artist are usually not the type of people that you warm up to right away. Those folks become politicians.

acomma Mon 5/19/2008 08:13PM

acomma

You obviously didn't have the experience I did kirkbrew. Backstage at the Stranahan Hall in Toledo, OH during setbreak of a Rhythm Devils show was when his creepiness was in full effect. I have witnesses and they will tell you the same thing. Gives me the damn willies just thinking about it!

Bylimb Mon 5/19/2008 08:26PM
CaptColorado starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 09:44PM

Thanks for the head shrink Kirk, but my personal dysfunctions do not affect my judge of character. Not only have I legitimately met dozens of musicians, but I have been roommates with some as well. Believe you me I know that it take a "special" person to be a musician. Ego-centric, spaced out creative talent, etc. They all possess some strange qualities, but Gordo??? He's in another league. Now I'm not gonna say that I hang out with the guy regularly, but I have bumped into him at least 6-7 times between 94-98. Fer Christ's sake I almost ran him over when he cut me off in Trey's golf cart as I was driving into the parking lot of Sandstone Amp outside KC in Summer of 98. He had (honest to GOD) 2 little girls in the front and 2 more standing in the back (straped in where the golf bags should go.) If they were over 18, I'd have been AMAZED! Have YOU EVER EVEN met the dude???

Again, I DID see Phish over 100+ times and I gotta say that his musical contribution to Phish is unquestionable, despite having written the catchy lyric, "I'd like to cut your head off so I can weigh it WHATDOYASAY?!?!"

C00lmike Mon 5/19/2008 10:00PM

C00lmike

Gordon's album 'Inside In' is a classic! I highly recommend it to anyone.

mfgoof Tue 5/20/2008 05:18AM

I thought Inside In was his debut solo album? Am I wrong? Why is this billed as his debut solo album?

O1Roggae Tue 5/20/2008 06:13AM

O1Roggae

Gordo is the biggest creep but that's why I love him.

breadloaf Tue 5/20/2008 07:02AM

This thread degenerated from a celebration of a great musician to some questionably founded but rather damning allegations. I can only speak from my experience- I do not know him well at all, but run into him rather regularly and we have some mutual musician friends. He has always been very pleasant- quiet, different, of course, but I think he has a good heart. Mike and Leo are both eccentric dudes- I think that is why they work so well together, very quirky.

hippyjessica Tue 5/20/2008 08:00AM

hippyjessica

I miss Mike's Corner

breckenridgejam Tue 5/20/2008 08:23AM

breckenridgejam

I'm sure anyone who has met the man will agree that he is creepy... I met him backstage after a Hampton show and all he did was squawk a rubber chicken at me, all I was trying to do his give him props on a stellar show! The guy definitely has a couple screws loose, but maybe that is way he is such a sick bass player.

Astronaut Jones starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 09:16AM

Astronaut Jones

i WISH he'd squawk at me with a rubber chicken! ever think about how many people the guy is forced to endure backstage in his career and now many times he's heard "oh dude you're the greatest"? maybe he's just trying to keep it fresh. and since when does a guy staring at breasts qualify as "creepy" anyway? i'll own this CD like the Cactus owns the lower register.

roberto767 starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 09:27AM

roberto767

I plan to illegally download Mike's new record while I stare at some tits in the August issue of Hustler.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 09:39AM

I hope he reads this.. I myself do not know what to say.. I like bass guitar?? :P

tlatham420 Tue 5/20/2008 10:31AM

tlatham420

I was a big fan of Inside In. I'll bet this new stuff will compare nicely. Gordo never disapoints. If you can get your hands on Les Claypool's new movie out on DVD "Electric Apricot - Quest for Festeroo".. you should check it out. There's a few cameos by Cactus and it's a really funny movie actaully.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 11:59AM

Lord-K.

Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo....Blast~see ya at the Roth

hawkleberry Tue 5/20/2008 12:01PM

hawkleberry

Who's in his touring band?

gardog Tue 5/20/2008 03:54PM

Mike is a creep. Awhile back at the old higher ground I ran into mike at a moe. show. He was totally macking on 2 young chicks CREEPY. Almost got my asked kicked by stupid security when we started yelling "8 Year olds Dude"

acomma Tue 5/20/2008 04:39PM

acomma

So according to kirkbrew, Jerry Garcia is not an artist.

Grateful Red Tue 5/20/2008 06:46PM

Grateful Red

unfounded rumors, some pics, no charges and an ass kicking that none of you witnessed. a rock star staring at a woman's breasts instead of talking to some stereotypical, male, hippie sycophants after a show. sounds totally normal to me... I was backstage after the PHX 2000 show and talked to Mike with a group of phans for about 10 mins. He was weird, not creepy. Had on zip up italian boots with black dress sox pulled up to his knees and his pants rolled up over his knees. He also just got done playing Guy Forget!

acomma Tue 5/20/2008 07:11PM

acomma

I wish my experience was normal...

carphishhead starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 10:49PM

carphishhead

Saweeeet. Always look forward to new tunes from a truly amazing and dedicated musician.

I know it's only festival slots, but his schedule looks TOUGH!! Across the country, back again, repeat! Thanks for makin the whole country happy Mike

roberto767 starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 11:39PM

roberto767

I agree...Jenny Jen is smoking hot. I would mack her veggie burritos any day.

keithrichardsforpres Wed 5/21/2008 06:39AM

keithrichardsforpres

Mike Gordon has had the best post Phish career of any of them. His albums with Leo Kottke are EXCELLENT.

breadloaf Wed 5/21/2008 08:56AM

^^ I totally agree with you. Long time huge Leo fan. They really fit together well. The covers of Sweet Emotion and Ya Mar are classic, as well as many great originals. Mike's bass sounds particularly excellent on these recordings.

cliftonhanger420 starstarstarstarstar Thu 5/22/2008 07:13PM

the cactus rocks and i think everyone dogging him should back off. i've seen him live on stage 34 times and i have never once thought he was creepy. so what if he's a little strange. i know plenty of pretty weird spunions that attend shows. so what if he likes looking at big tits. so do i. i also think that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time when it comes to jones beach. oh, one last thing. the man puffs some serious nugs. leave him alone. i'd love to see you in Buffalo at the Square Gordo.

DaveT Fri 5/23/2008 10:52AM

DaveT

Why is it that every pictire of Gordo looks like he is about to swallow his own face?

wagsinnorthernva Fri 5/23/2008 01:26PM

wagsinnorthernva

Who knows a rock star that is normal? And what is normal anyway? Come on as someone who lived in central Vermont for like 6 years, and went to Goddard College, Mike is a nice guy and supports the local musical scene in Burlington, VT. He also lays down the serious goodness...

fluffhead1124 starstarstarstarstar Fri 5/23/2008 09:31PM

Mike! Thanks for coming to Bridgeport, cant fuckin wait!