Megadeth: Play For Blood

-Dave Mustaine

I Don't Play To Win, I Play For Blood

In just the opening minutes of any Megadeth show, one picks up on the feeling that there's nowhere Mustaine is happier than onstage causing a roiling crowd of fist-pumpers to lose their minds.

Dave Mustaine
"I'd say that's probably pretty true. There is one place I'm happier and that's being with my family, and family is tough. There's ups and downs but that's the beauty of relationships and the beauty of going out on the road. You get to come home and bring your belt of shrunken heads you've gotten to present to your tribal queen [laughs]. Being a daddy has made me appreciate how complicated their little lives and their little minds are. People thought that when I got married and had kids I was going to get weak. Well, my wife used to kickbox and my son takes martial arts, so I think the family that beats people's asses together stays together," chuckles Mustaine.

Even a casual look at Megadeth's artwork on their albums, t-shirts, website, etc. reveals an intricate, well thought out landscape. This type of big conceptual scale is a major but often unspoken factor in metal's tribe building. There's an iconography and imagery that creates distinctive worlds that help build a community around these bands.

"It's a facet that's overlooked by most bands because they don't work closely with their merchandise line. I don't think they realize what they can create internally for fans. It's another layer to the music, and with the industry imploding – and I try not to gloat about many of these record companies getting what they have coming to them – ultimately, we don't have a lot of places to generate revenue anymore outside of the live arena," Mustaine says. "With people just ripping and ripping and ripping stuff, we live in a generation that looks at getting songs over the Internet for free. There are people who respect bands and pay but there's a whole generation that doesn't pay. Once you embrace that and you're okay with the idea of records being calling cards then you make a great record, you go out and tour and you give people what they want. We have a great new guitar player right now [Chris Broderick] and we're doing fantastic. It was almost like falling upward when [guitarist] Glen Drover quit. It's almost like more than new blood, we were on a dialysis machine and just had a bunch of veins replaced, too [laughs]."

The intimacy Megadeth has with their listeners may surprise some people. Like many metal acts, there's a closeness with fans that those outside the genre are almost entirely unaware of.

"It's almost an inside joke. No, that's not right. Maybe it's more like a secret handshake. My dad was a Mason, and it's a very secret club and a lot of these fans are incredulous when you say, 'If you leave a message for Dave on his Live Line number he'll hear it.' And that's true of the whole band. In April when we launch the new Live Line we'll also start responding to these messages. The thing with this band, in particular, is we've always been very interactive with our fans. We were one of the first bands to have a website," says Mustaine. "At the end of the day, if I didn't take care of myself there's not a lot of people that would do it for me. You have a working relationship with people you trust like the Eagle's Nest, my management company, but there's other people who will say they're working for you but really they're just highly skilled liars. They could give a shit about you. In the end, if you have a great band and you make great records and play great live, that's all you need to do. The fans will respond. If you honor God, take care of your family, get out on the road and don't be a dick then people will know about you and want to come and see you."

JamBase | Ground Zero
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 4/3/08]

Comments

shonuff Thu 4/3/2008 05:04PM

I love Megadeth. Countdown to Extinction is an awesome album.

vida421 Thu 4/3/2008 05:17PM

vida421

born again fool...i love megadeth when i was a kid...but know he's done so much H he found jesus..i guess that's why i don't believe in jesus...haven't tapped the vain...

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/3/2008 05:32PM

HoodooVoodoo

The guy doesn't seem like much of an environmentalist. He seems very Ted Nugent-ish. Why was he kicked out of Metallica again?

keenan41 star Thu 4/3/2008 07:08PM
You Fail star Thu 4/3/2008 07:50PM

You Fail

lmfao^ so they can suck together

n-1 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/3/2008 08:39PM

I gotta say Jambase covering these different genres is a GENIUS survival technique to survive in the eye of the storm that is the music biz. Look at Alexa.com any site specifically having to do with "jam bands" has declined since Phishes decline post Big Cypress, why are fests like Roo and Langerado just getting bigger, because the are "selling out" i.e being smart, and opening up to lots of different genres and musical tastes. at the same time these festivals still honor their jamband roots and so does jambase, in fact i would like to see more diversity on jambase, it can only help it grow, and keep our culture alive, thriving and kept from being pushed to the wayside

n-1 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/3/2008 08:40PM

oh and theres lots of good kinds of music out there besides hour long spacejams, being a head i can say that intelligently.

n-1 Thu 4/3/2008 08:44PM

the relation to the fans seems like good old fashion Grateful Dead/ Jamband communal ethic

tomspeed starstarstarstar Thu 4/3/2008 11:17PM

tomspeed

Fuckin' A.

moemoe6434 Fri 4/4/2008 05:02AM

I would love to hear him play an album with Metallica again... Maybe he would make Metallica not suck again.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstar Fri 4/4/2008 06:37AM

I seen them once.. I liked it.

peace sells, but whos buying?? sickness........

and yes diversity on jambase.. get used to it.. its more than jam.. ok?

look in a relix mag now. look at bonnaroo. look look. all inclusive is the new deal now.. peace sells..

Buddy BadVibes star Fri 4/4/2008 08:03AM
Shmo-Kaine starstarstar Fri 4/4/2008 08:17AM

Shmo-Kaine

Old Megadeath rocks and so does old Metallica, they're still musical geniuses. I think it's nice Dave found God, I'd rather see somebody happy with life, than running around trying to be dark and evil.

ThePaste Fri 4/4/2008 09:10AM
groovinkangaroo star Fri 4/4/2008 09:16AM

That first page is full of the most ignorant crap I ever heard come out of a person's mouth, besides the crap that my redneck white trash extended family says. Hmmm, maybe there is a correlation.

petemora starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/4/2008 09:27AM

MEGA meaning Many!, Deth meaning Death!, What a riot! I love old metal dudes, they rule. I also abhor close minded bong hitters who complain about non-jambands being on this website. Why even look at the article, then? Go read about the Shit Cheese Incident or something, or some one chord for 20 minutes band.

richromeo star Fri 4/4/2008 09:34AM
gmoo Fri 4/4/2008 09:34AM

gmoo

Mustaine rules! I do wonder about the 24 and O'Reilly Factor though...

cam0083 starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/4/2008 09:43AM

cam0083

Ha, "Well, you know what I say? Shake 'n' bake. Caribou tastes like pork."

God he does sound like a huge redneck but that doesn't mean he can't wail on the guitar. If you guys need another laugh you should check out the Hanger 18 video, it's awful to the point that the insane guitar solo doesn't even make up for it.

Ston starstarstarstar Fri 4/4/2008 09:45AM

Does anybody remember the Megadeath show at Woodstock 99? The galloping dancer and the fires breaking out???

HELLO ME, MEET THE REAL ME!!! SWEATING BULLETS!!!

cloudhidden Fri 4/4/2008 09:56AM

Dave is such an idiot. He makes fun of American fests, then lauds on European fests for their DIVERSITY, then mentions how his Gigantor tour is akin to a European fest only to list metal bands that anyone not a fan would say all sound the same.

I still smile when I think about him crying to the Metallica guys in "Some Kind of Monster."

Loser metal head with the political views of a 14 year old.

Shmo-Kaine starstar Fri 4/4/2008 10:31AM

Shmo-Kaine

richromeo you seem like a pretty one dimensional person and kind of a douche. I found another viable alternative for you it's called www.closemindedOLDhippies.com. Go somewhere else!

Tiny Dancer starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/4/2008 10:33AM

Tiny Dancer

There is more to the musical universe than 20-minute extended crunchy grooves. What's wrong with expanded horizons? I'm not a metal fan, but I think it's fantastic that the scope is expanding, and I think Dennis adeptly illustrates all the reasons why an open mind is more effective. Why get your panties in a twist just because some people like different things than you do? Nice job, Snappy.

tsunami42 Fri 4/4/2008 11:52AM

tsunami42

Mustaine is the biggest most arrogant prick in music. The best thing he's done was cry like a baby to Lars Ulrich in Metallica's documentary "Some Kind of Monster".

jazzfester Fri 4/4/2008 12:53PM

"I play for blood." What a douchebag.

Buddy BadVibes Fri 4/4/2008 01:35PM

Buddy BadVibes

Hey Shmo-Kin, those are some great comments from someone who enjoys having their ears pissed in by hookah.

mudbuddy11 star Fri 4/4/2008 06:23PM

this is jambase.... who gives a shit about this guy again?

shroom013 star Sat 4/5/2008 08:02AM

megadeath was cool in sixth grade, anyone with a brain knows they suck, anyone with a brain also doesnt watch o'reilly factor. ive had the"displeasure" of seeing them live and it was fuckin awful. i thought you guys were here to cover good fuckin bands

whodoyoudo Sat 4/5/2008 09:39AM

whodoyoudo

dave muff-stain

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

richromeo star Sat 4/5/2008 12:26PM

hey shmo-kinn! Isn't it kinda ironic that you bust me for being OLD (your caps) to support your love of an "old" band and right after leaving comments about how "old" Metallica and "old" Megadeath are geniuses? Who's the douche again? Good guess I am kinda old, but not as old as Dave Mustaine....FYI, I bought Peace Sells back when it first hit the record stores, still think Wake Up Dead is an awesome tune, was seeing Metallica before Cliff Burton died and they started making music videos, and cut my teeth on metal, which I still listen to. Point is there's plenty of websites out there already that try to cover the entire music scene, but what's wrong with having one dedicated to just the jam scene, like jambase used to be and the name still kinda infers? A little niche marketing? When I want to know what's up in jam I want a site that'll tell me just that. If I want to know a little bit about all kinds of different popular music I'll go to Rolling Stone or pollstar or myspace or MTV or Billboard or VH1 or Topix or Starpulse or even E! entertainment fer god's sake.

Dumbass.

sven2388 Sat 4/5/2008 01:45PM

"What do you like to do to relax while touring: Study, focus on my health, lurk on the forums"

focus on health? HAHAHAHA more like shoot up mad H. and he loves those speedballs too. its true, everyone knows

NICU971 starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 08:03AM

You can all rip on Mustaine all you want, but at least he did something with his life. Sure he did a ton of drugs, but he got to be a touring musician in a band that made good money and we're all here talking about here. He must have done something right. So everyone just shut the F*CK UP! LIKE HIM OR NOT HE'S MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN YOU!

Jack Straw Berry starstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 09:59AM

Jack Straw Berry

Please...stick to speaking about music and "fat chicks and hummers"..."shake and bake"...now there's a thoughtful energy policy. Glad to know you're not a W supporter, even if you are dumb, Dave.

surlybuf starstarstarstarstar Sun 4/6/2008 10:48AM

Clash of the Titans Tour via 1990 or 91

Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and Alice in Chains

This tour freaking killed. I was 17 and loved every minute of it.

rhythmic_randomness Mon 4/7/2008 04:38AM

One thing: If there is anything that sucks about Jambase, it is REGISTERED MEMBERS who log in to read stories that don't pertain to their musical tastes, only to debase the music, the writers of the stories, the comments of the subject matter and the website itself. There are an awful lot of people who have something to say about what is negative about the music scene today. It is true. The scene is riddled with negativity. You want something to think of, though? What war has been ended by flying overhead and dropping more bombs?

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Mon 4/7/2008 06:26AM

babypaste. shut the hell up :)

mudbuddy11 Mon 4/7/2008 01:07PM

listen motherfuckers. I am a registered member who wishes I could see more stuff to read about jam bands. I read the article to see if there was anything entertaining at all. Oh, its a little entertaining, but I feel all the dumber for reading it. I hated dave mustain in the day. I was a metallica fan.. ride the lightning, jump in the fire, master of puppets,,, they all kicked ass. I thought Dave mustain was a self indulgent douche then. I was hoping this article would change my mind. It didnt. At all. I grew out of metallica, and I thought the rest of the country did too. I was in friggin junior high. I was kinda hoping this guy had died, but here he is... on my beloved jam base. I used to be able to come here and see intelligent commentary on my favorite bands. Now some metalhead is making decisions about what jam base is? You might as well include all bands in all genres if this isnt for JAM BANDS. I like blues bands better than 80's metal. Why dont you cover the blues bands?

my advice? lose a little advertising money and go back to the old format. This isnt a democracy, we dont need to include everyone.

This was jambase.

DaveT star Mon 4/7/2008 02:18PM

DaveT

"Special thanks to Metallica for proving the true blood of metal runs through (their) veins"

daveapaug Mon 4/7/2008 07:21PM

daveapaug

If you are not interested in the band, dont read. How are you going to decide which bands get coverage and which ones do not? Get over yourselves. I, for one, would like to see some sort of tagging system for the bands on the live show search page. I used to be able to pick a random band that I'd never heard of and go check them out. But a couple of times I wasted money on a band that I thought definitely wasn't "Jam". One turned out to be damn near speed metal. We have all different sorts of sub cultures in this scene: bluegrass, southern rock, electronica, jazz, blues, etc. etc. Some sort of tagging system on the Live Show page would help. Clicking on the bands info link has been a little help, but not much.

Jake. Tue 4/8/2008 04:51PM

MUFF-STAIN hahaahaha

SCIRGR84EVS Wed 4/9/2008 08:44AM

From now on, whenever i want to learn about the United Nations and American oil reserves in Alaska, I will turn to Dave Mustaine. I mean, that guy really seems to be a sensible fella with his head on straight. Not like those other rockers who drift through life in a opiate fog without ever stopping to do something useful like go to Alaska to map oil fields or do in-depth character studies of the Russian diplomatic envoy. Hey, I'm sure Mustaine never drove drunk or incited riots and rape, so he certainly is someone to listen to, not just in matters of music but in all of life.

cliftonhanger420 starstar Fri 4/11/2008 06:41PM

i'm not a big megadeath fan, but after the reading the article he seems like an o.k. guy. i'm also glad he found jesus and isn't dark and evil like a lot of heavy metal. i'm also with him about not buying saudi oil, i mean why support a country that promotes a religion that teaches to hate and kill us. i'd rather drill in alaska then make those guys richer.

mgizmo starstarstar Sat 4/12/2008 01:53PM

Its been said before and I must repeat, if you don't like the band, don't read the article and then further waste your time crying about it.

I love music. All different kinds of it, I am glad that Jambase does an article on Megadeth once in a blue moon. Theres tons of shit to sift through, so why not let it go so some of us can enjoy our rare glimpse into the (non)genius of Dave Mustaine.

abriggs1 starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/16/2008 04:49PM

abriggs1

"If you honor God, take care of your family, get out on the road and don't be a dick then people will know about you and want to come and see you."

Don't be a dick? What do you call Dave supporting Bush in 2004. But it seems as though he's come to realize his mistake and maybe even grown up a bit from the early days of Megadeth when he was a giant dick. It's no wonder why he's the only original member of Megadeth, The O'Reilly Factor? I guess he's still got a lot of growing up to do. But when you put your views out there there's always the risk of pissing off elitists pricks like myself who actually understand politics and how bad we're being fucked by the religious extremists who have overtaken our government. What would Jesus have done after 9/11 Dave? Ever heard of "love your enemies?" If you're a true Christian you have to be against all wars, or you're just a giant hypocrite. After all, in most wars you try to kill your enemies. Where I come from love and kill are not too similar. I'm a lifelong Megadeth fan and when it comes down to it, I respect anyone overall who has the balls to say when they really think, even if it is stupid.

p1d1s1 star Sat 4/19/2008 09:43AM

Mustaine a patriot? Aren't patriots the ones who hold the despot's to their original promises, the ones who defend the tenets of democracy and liberty against the wages of tyranny? Dave is just another willing subject. How did the meaning of a word so closely related to fighting for freedom come to mean not disagreeing with the dominant fascist government under threat of incarceration, torture or death?