Sammy Hagar Goes Country

RED ROCKER GETS
A LIL' BIT COUNTRY WITH KENNY CHESNEY

A Hungry Hagar
The "I Can't Drive 55" moptop, Sammy Hagar, will join contemporary country mega-star Kenny Chesney for his late spring/early summer "Poets & Pirates" tour. Nashville's answer to Jimmy Buffet will also be joined by Keith Urban, Brooks & Dunn, Leann Rimes, Big & Rich and others on various dates.

"I haven't had the opportunity to play in front of stadium crowds — like I will be on this tour — since my days of headlining the Texas Jams and playing with Van Halen the last time we toured as a group," says Hagar. "Live sold-out stadium shows like this is what I built my career on and I am looking at this as a challenging opportunity to rock them just like I used to. With millions of potential new young fans, I couldn't be more excited to bring my show to town!"

Hagar/Chesney Tour Dates
May 10 - M&T Bank Stadium - Baltimore, MD
May 24 - Browns Stadium - Cleveland, OH
May 31 - U of Phoenix Stadium - Phoenix, AZ
Jul. 05 - LP Field - Nashville, TN
Jul. 13 - Turner Field - Atlanta, GA
Jul. 19 - Lincoln Financial - Philadelphia, PA
Jul. 26 - Gillette Field - Foxboro, MA

[Published on: 1/28/08]

Comments

acomma Mon 1/28/2008 06:12AM

acomma

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I can't handle their supposed style of 'country'.

hnkscrpio star Mon 1/28/2008 07:01AM

hnkscrpio

Wow I wonder how much money Jambase got paid for putting this up. Absolutely horrid. Hey guys I just threw up in my mouth a little.

RothburyWithCheese starstarstar Mon 1/28/2008 07:12AM
snappy Mon 1/28/2008 07:15AM

snappy

Hey, outside of the Rolling Stones and U2, mainstream country acts are the ones filling stadiums these days. Yes, it might be a bit different than past coverage but as a site dedicated to live music this doesn't seem out of place.

GeorgieP Mon 1/28/2008 07:33AM

GeorgieP

That sounds about as appealing as getting kicked in the stomach.

Ladoo star Mon 1/28/2008 07:37AM
jazzfester Mon 1/28/2008 07:44AM

I see that Blake Lewis is advertised on the Jambase homepage.

G$Love Mon 1/28/2008 08:03AM

G$Love

Sammy Hagar is so cool that he can't drive 55!

matthewhayden star Mon 1/28/2008 08:24AM

Why am I reading about Sammy Hagar on Jambase? ...and Kenny Chesney?? Is it April 1st already?

gratefuled Mon 1/28/2008 08:34AM

gratefuled

Good grief! Thank gawd for my ol' Waylon, Willie and Jerry Jeff Walker albums. Kinda funny, but most of those *country* bands in the last couple decades were all glam-bands in the 80's - $$$$ all the way. Hank Williams has been rollin' in his grave for quite a while now.

moejoerisin Mon 1/28/2008 08:35AM

moejoerisin

"Wow I wonder how much money Jambase got paid for putting this up."

probably nothing.

snappy Mon 1/28/2008 09:09AM

snappy

And in Sammy's defense, Montrose were classic hesher rock and his self-titled 1977 album (the one with "Red" and "Fillmore Shuffle") is still Guitar Hero style sweetness. He's a cartoon but a lot of rock (and country) musicians are.

Shmo-Kaine Mon 1/28/2008 10:40AM
ScIFreak Mon 1/28/2008 11:07AM
gmoo Mon 1/28/2008 11:27AM

gmoo

I agree with you most of the time, Snappy. Here I cannot. I go to this site site because they DON'T follow the money most of the time. Even if U2 and country groups are the only acts 'filling stadiums', does that make them more worthy of review? I'd much rather see a Cornmeal or Groovatron review, but that will never, ever happen, will it Dennis?

gmoo Mon 1/28/2008 11:31AM

gmoo

Well I guess this wasn't a review. Nevermind the previous comment.

petemora star Mon 1/28/2008 11:59AM

He wrecked Van Halen, now he will tour with the people who wrecked country music. Great.

delaneyira star Mon 1/28/2008 12:14PM
ProfFrink Mon 1/28/2008 12:25PM

I can't believe you guys sold ad space without checking with delaneyira again! When will you learn?!?

gmoo Mon 1/28/2008 12:52PM

gmoo

I'm not a sheep, delaneyira...far from it actually. Maybe you should figure out WHO you are talking to before you try to tell the entire jambase population how ignorant and slave-like we all are. Could it be that the individual who uses all-encompassing slurs and hateful epithets might be the one who is the sheep? Could be.

Smittea star Mon 1/28/2008 12:57PM

Smittea

The dude is 61. I can't see him "rocking" forever. I really don't care, I don't Sammy ever did anything well.

juanstar star Mon 1/28/2008 01:19PM

For those who don't like country music, this isn't for you. Jam base gets worse everytime I look at it. Like Rolling stone. It's about the money, not the fans. This used to be jamband based. Now it's all over the map. Even sammy hagar gets page here. Asleep at the wheel should make a country music fan out of anyone. Jason Roberts kicks butt. All this new plastic country is like Jambase. Sold out for the money. Hager, I'm sure he'll take a real job where ever they'll hire him, because he does suck.

RothburyWithCheese star Mon 1/28/2008 02:24PM
toeknee420 Mon 1/28/2008 03:10PM

toeknee420

Riot on the message boards!!!! The Revolution has begun!!!!!

delaneyira star Mon 1/28/2008 03:15PM

gmoo, look buddy, if your not one of the retards then brush it off. Im refering to the assholes who give you shit when you post a comment that is negative. Especially mine. I think them out and then i rip. Sorry for generalizing i just figured whose who knew what i was talking about would immediately understand that i never meant you. If you think its ok for a site like jambase to advertise for a tool like blake lewis then you are a mindless moron. Think of why i say mindless instead of other words. Someone mentioned that he was on american idol. Immediately if you know he was on that show from watching it you can be disregarded. If you would actually sit down and watch that show for entertainment, you can be disregarded. Disregarded as a mindless brain slave to the new world order. Ask yourself why all these people are being called talented by the mainstream media when none of them play instruments, none of them went to school for music, none of them can read music, none of them know anything about american musical heritage(blues, bluegrass, jazz) or world musical heritage. Call me a nut but its obvious that they want to set the bar so incredibly low so that no one trys hard to be good at anything. Same thing with school expectations, same thing with how articulate your expected to be(all primetime shows consist of stupid men who do stupid things and then get made fun of by thier wives for comedic relief. Name me one single show that exibits meterial that would be beyond a 3rd grade reading level. Understand that when i criticize jambase its not just about the music, its mostly about the music. I mean i just want an organized place where i can find all the good stuff i catch at the festies and none of the bullshit that you find in the mainstream. Its not just about the music though. Its about culture and how people are allowing the slave drivers to destroy creativity. When jambase devotes a writer to a whole article about jay-z they are wasting a resource that couldve beeter served the fan base. I have no problem if you like jayz, you can like whatever you want. But i do have a problem when the site who built its fan base on covering the festival community turns its back on its base to coax some outside people into thier advertising bank. Face it morons, thats what its all about. Now its devolved even further. Not only did they start writing articles about ppl that have no business being on the site, and no i didnt decide that they have no business being on jambase the community actually decides that as a whole, not only did they start writing useless articles now they feel that we are so culturally devolved that we would actually respond to advertisement for someone who came up on american idol. Start getting offended you slaves, they are making fun of you. Look at how they used your open mindedness to slip in the bullshit. If you think im full of crap, then your are either blind or you are a dumb sheep who has dug thier head into the sand up to thier ass... Sorry to flip out and say mean things...

toeknee420 Mon 1/28/2008 03:20PM

toeknee420

In all honesty, this shit isn't news. You guys need to sell crack or something if you're hurtin that bad for cash. It beats sucking corporate cock ;)

ProfFrink Mon 1/28/2008 03:43PM

I think Hagar going country is hilarious and I just know I'll be pulling out that factoid at the bar this weekend and my friends will ask how I always know all this weird stuff and I will smile knowingly. This is some Onion-level shit, only it's real.

oldfartatplay star Mon 1/28/2008 05:43PM

oldfartatplay

delaneyira, you're a nut. anything else i can do for ya' buddy?

MoeString Mon 1/28/2008 11:03PM

MoeString

POETS AND BUTT PIRATES

kaiserbun Tue 1/29/2008 05:29AM

watch out for those slave drivers delaneyira, they're dangerous! the rest of us "dumb sheep" will be hiding. honestly, you sound really cool. I do like how they call Kenny Chesney a mega-star, that cracks me up.

breadloaf Tue 1/29/2008 06:49AM

I remain confident that you, my fellow readers/posters here, are entirely capable of winnowing out the stuff presented on JamBase that does not interest you. As far as the "JamBase has gone evil corporate" thread, I would invite you to consider someone who worked at Enron and lost their retirement due to coporate greed, or Big Oil, or Blackwater. When viewed in context, I would submit to you that JamBase is pretty benign. I also feel that using the "slave" moniker in this discussion diminishes the sheer moral and historical weight of such a shameful act. I have no idea who this Blake Lewis that has many of you in a twist, but I do know that I have been turned on to quite a bit of new music through coming to this site- including the insightful comments that many of you make. It is my job as a reader to sift through the whole, find some nuggets, and leave the rest behind. I find it hard to believe that JamBase is rolling in some giant tub of money. Thanks.

kirkbrew Tue 1/29/2008 08:44AM

kirkbrew

Wow - I wish people would get this shook up about the state of public schools or have been as vocal in the run up to the Iraq invasion.

moejoerisin Tue 1/29/2008 08:46AM

moejoerisin

shmo-kinn - do you ever actually read my posts?

delaneyira star Wed 1/30/2008 11:07AM

breadloaf, really miss the point... Why should i have to wade through the crap. The whole reason I come to this site, and i would assume most of you would agree, is because i dont want to have to dig and wade and cypher through crap. So when i start having to here, im going to say something. Im going to comment. I mean, isnt that what the !!!COMMENT!!! section is for? And the reason why you should always comment on this kind of bs is because jambase need to make money. Everyone knows that, and that is fine. The shouldnt be taken to the cleaners just to have a website. So you have to realize in that context that they will be pressured from all sides to promote stuff, because alot of people come to this site. Mostly people who reject the mainstream. So from the "mainstreamers" point of view, and by that i mean the people promoting mainstreamers, look at jambase as a huge pool of untapped people. They dont give a flying fuck if the site is supposed to be the antithisis of mainstream. That is in fact thier challange. So what they are going to do, and even though i have no documentation for this it can be assumed because of the nature of business, what the are going to do is try every way possible to "infiltrate" this site. So first it starts with certain promoters funding shows or festivals, then after a couple, they will start putting thier bands in the fests. And this will happen so gradually as to render itself almost invisible to those who dont understand how this thing works. Its a tip toe kind of thing. And trust me this isnt just about the music world, music and culture is just a finger on the hidden hand that controls things. Take for example the USA. Started by the most independant and progressive thinkers the world may ever know. Thier philosophies were centuries ahead of thier time. And slowly the sick facist, royal ring kissing sobs started to infiltrate american society. One huge win for the scumbags was the poisoning of american freemasonry(the society that generated many revolutionary thinkers) by albert pike. and what were living in is a direct and continuous result of that poisoning of our culture. What i started ranting about in the beginning of this is just another example. I know the 2 scenarios seem really distant from one another but understand they certainly are not. The same exact methods were used for both scenarios. Both tiptoed one foot in the door and over time, very sneakly slid in. So the moral of this story is dont give people shit for criticizing. its extremely important. Criticism is a firewall against those who would corrupt. Doesnt matter if its politics or music. The fundamental philosophy can be applied in either case...

acomma Wed 1/30/2008 12:15PM

acomma

You speak of an economic theory about the invisible hand guiding market decisions. But from what you are saying, Jambase will turn into a mainstream website promoting bands for large sums of money. If that is the case, then we will see another site similar to the current Jambase arise in the future. Cycles are wonderful things.

elaufer Mon 2/4/2008 05:18PM

just for the record, In the new season of American Idol the contestants do play instruments. And also for the record, the voice aka singing is an instrument also. One more thing, going to music school as a prerequisite for being a good musician. That's the single most ignorant thing I've read on Jambase. My argument starts and ends with Hendrix.