Power to the Peaceful

FRANTI SPEARHEADS 2007'S POWER TO THE PEACEFUL FESTIVAL
9TH Annual Free Music and Arts Fest Set For
September 8 in Golden Gate Park

Michael Franti at Power to the Peaceful
On Saturday September 8, renowned and outspoken musician and filmmaker Michael Franti and his group Spearhead – along with Guerrilla Management – present the 9th Annual "911 Power to the Peaceful Festival" at Speedway Meadows in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. The free music and arts festival is dedicated to social justice, non violence, coexistence and environmental sustainability and aimed to educate, enrage, enlighten and inspire. It drew over 60,000 attendees in 2006.

Artists confirmed to appear alongside Anti- recording artists and headliners Michael Franti and Spearhead at the event include Indigo Girls, K'naan, and Hot Buttered Rum, Bassnectar and DJ Spooky. Special guests and speakers will count journalist, author and Democracy Now! host Amy Goodman and more to come!

In addition to the mains stage of International Musical Artists and award-winning speakers, the PTTP Festival will also feature morning yoga, an open-air art gallery, a healing arts tent, vendors and food booths, eco village, bicycle coalition and social, environmental & political organizations tabling and forums. This years DJ Tent will be headlined by DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid and Bassnectar. Complete information can be found at www.powertothepeaceful.org.

In a year that is shaping up to be his most active year yet in support of the peace movement, Michael Franti visited and performed for injured soldiers at Washington's Walter Reed Army Medical Center this past April, before participating in a fundraiser for Iraq Veterans Against the War. In May 2007, he performed an extremely rare San Quentin Prison concert, extolling the virtues of peace in a performance before some 2,000 inmates.

Franti and Spearhead will celebrate the success of their breakthrough 2006 Anti- debut Yell Fire! by releasing a live, digital-only version of the acclaimed disc this October. In advance of its extensive U.S. autumn tour, the group is currently at work with producer Matt Wallace (The Replacements, Faith No More, John Hiatt) on its next album, due via Anti- in 2008.

[Published on: 8/14/07]

Comments

lvcheese Tue 8/14/2007 10:23AM
RothburyWithCheese star Tue 8/14/2007 10:27AM
1048 starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/14/2007 10:27AM
Dnumde Tue 8/14/2007 10:31AM

Dnumde

I want to see ya'll JUMPIN'

gratefulkyd Tue 8/14/2007 10:32AM

gratefulkyd

lvecheese..... I don't know what is worse your blatant contradictions or your attack on a man who is trying to "preach" a message of love and tolerance. You end your post with peace and love but you send a message of intolerance. Sorry that you don't enjoy Franti's work but why don't you try and curb your negativity here. I hope your day gets better.
blessings
kevin

soulink starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/14/2007 10:34AM

soulink

Franti was great at Bonnaroo... this is a solid free lil festie for SF. Many thanks to Franti and crew.

Andy starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/14/2007 10:38AM

Andy

I'm a huge fan of Michael Franti and the yearly Power to the Peaceful Festival.

He brings together the San Francisco community and conveys a message of peace, compassion, consciousness and activism. It's something our world (and often these comment boards) need as much of as it can get.

Your life is your message.

berneto Tue 8/14/2007 10:41AM

I don't understand the hate on Franti...people were cutting on him on the allgood review as well, but during his show everyone around me was having a great time and every single one of my friends were seeing him for the first time and thought it was a blast. Sometimes it's nice to see some variety at festivals, especially an added element of conscious thought, peace, and awareness. People, it's okay to dance to cheese, jump up and down for franti, and party down to sts9. Why not try to enjoy it all?

NickBoeka Tue 8/14/2007 10:45AM

NickBoeka

how you feelin'....

this line up looks like a great little day at the park. god i love living in this city, and being a few blocks away from GGSP.

DelrayChris Tue 8/14/2007 10:50AM

DelrayChris

While I understand that hearing "How you feeling" may get old and repetitive, there is NO DENYING that Franti is one of the MOST political, YET POSITIVE artists out there. 'Nuff said...

ThePaste Tue 8/14/2007 11:04AM
gmoo Tue 8/14/2007 11:27AM

gmoo

His music has nothing to do with wonderful things he's doing in our world. If you don't like his music, don't go.

lvcheese Tue 8/14/2007 11:30AM
Dave 415 Tue 8/14/2007 11:36AM

Dave 415

It is great to live in San Francisco and enjoy beautiful FREE music in a beautiful park with beautiful weather. Michael Franti is great and so is the rest of the lineup. For those people who feel the need to stain the comment board, please remain in your air-conditioned cages and let us enjoy the peaceful celebration

Iloveitall starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/14/2007 11:56AM

Iloveitall

I don't see how you can knock on someone who is trying so hard to make a difference in the world.

Maybe some of you should stop sitting on the internet all day, posting your thoughts so you can see your name on the screen and get out there and make a difference...

Most of the posts on here amount to this:

"I DONT LIKE THIS BAND"

What does that matter at all? Expand your minds...

Just sayin...

Dnumde Tue 8/14/2007 12:19PM

Dnumde

Wow, I agree. My post got taken the wrong way. I enjoy Franti very much so! I had never heard him until Mountain Jam when I was blown away by his performance. I understand those who say, he isn't that talented of a musician, for he's not. Yet his livelihood lies in his heart and soul. He is one that really cares for everyone, really loves life and really wants peace. Power to the peaceful!

Oh yea. TAXI RADIO!

happydestiny starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/14/2007 12:32PM

happydestiny

I jump nearly everytime franti asks the crowd to do so. I brings out more energy in the audience and creates a fun atmosphere

props franti, keep pushin the good vibe

Marcsmall Tue 8/14/2007 01:51PM
laxma13951 Tue 8/14/2007 02:14PM

"Summer breeze I'm feelin' kinda fine and rollin' with my shorty all the time." Spearhead puts on one of the most entertaining, powerful, energetic shows I have ever seen. I'll never get tired or bored with jumpin' and he can ask "how you feelin'" as much as he wants cause I'm always gonna give him the same energetic response in return. If you don't like someone's music, then don't go. It's unnecessary to post a hate message about something/someone that you obviously don't give a damn about.

Cleofus Tue 8/14/2007 02:28PM

Cleofus

i don't understand people bashing Franti. His shows are one of the most energetic and positive of any individual or band currently touring. I think they are just afraid of introducing a little reggae or hip hop influences into the stagnant "jamband" scene.

playitleo Tue 8/14/2007 06:01PM

playitleo

This looks really friggin tasty. Bassnectar and DJSpooky?? Hope I get there early for Hot Buttered Rum!

Marcsmall Tue 8/14/2007 06:23PM
wenzit420 starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/14/2007 10:32PM

wenzit420

Not a huge fan of his shows but I think his message is great. Maybe he needs to come out with some newer material soon... Keep it going Spearhead!

Jays420 Wed 8/15/2007 05:59AM

I understand where all of you come from. Especially when Frantis show is sponsored by big corp.'s and he is tellin every f' the corp.'s. But he is not just tryin to make a buck off the war, if he was, he wouldnt be flyin to iraq and playing for the soldiers and the people and in prisons, he is just tryin to give the world music. Cant fault him for that, he is a good man!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/15/2007 06:37AM

I saw him at allgood 2004. I really loved it, nothing about it was annoying to me at all. I appreciate music with a positive message, regardless.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/15/2007 06:40AM

you know, its amazing, some people put as much energy into dis-liking an artist as they do liking them. How odd that is to me. I will balance out my hate for one, with lots of love for another. does that sound cool or what?

VAteonanacatl starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/15/2007 07:47AM

VAteonanacatl

ive seen him before and wasnt all that impressed but POWER TO PEACE

mcarroll Wed 8/15/2007 03:26PM

mcarroll

So, on one hand you have Michael Franti. He writes music about love, understanding, revolution, and peace, and completely lives those words. He went to Iraq and Palestine, risked his life to walk around amongst the people of each country without any protection, playing music for Palestinian children in their neighborhoods, playing his music for the troops in Iraq, and playing for the Iraqi people in their own neighborhoods, and generally spending time with and talking to the different people in that region. He often just jumps off the front of the stage after a festival gig to help pick up trash or meet the fans. And then you have marcsmall1, who calls him a hypocrite and says his music has no substance or core to it.

Here are some lyrics from "Speaking of Tongues":

'A strange strange litany of verses and reverses
adlibs and rehearses
clouds burst and words cursed
an argument breaks out
it's one we've all heard before, it's boring
had us all snoring from the first line
one after another chimed in perfect time
tired rehashes of petty cashes and mismatches
you shoulda coulda's
and "why didn't 'tcha do's"
crippling snippets aimed at the heart
to inflame and impart blame
framed like Mumia
verbal diarrhea
creating chasms between the souls of two
or two billion
nations torn apart
station to station damnation
with much deliberation and very little consideration
to the return on the damage from the altercation
collateral condemnation
then denyin' like colorization of an old black and white
create a revision of the recent last night
the fight that started with two words, "I'm right"'

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/16/2007 04:21AM

Right On mcarroll.

phishr82 Thu 8/16/2007 02:56PM

phishr82

i gotta say, everytime i'm on here i see marcsmall1 and lvcheese hating on everything from franti to ratdog and everything in between. i know i'm not alone, but i happen to like franti and cheese and ratdog and sts9 and sci, etc. it's all good, its just different. and the last cheese show at red rocks was epic, where's the review for that?

lvcheese Thu 8/16/2007 05:57PM

lvcheese

Yeah your not the only one who likes Franti, obviously. I just want to know who is to say who I can and cannot hate on. Noone!! If I don't like Franti, then deal with it and quit whinning over the internet. And about me hateing on ratdog.......Yeah the ALL Good show sucked, ask anyone who went. Besides that I love Ratdog.

I"ll do what I want and I'll get paid.

justin5 starstarstarstar Fri 8/17/2007 11:25PM

BLUE TURTLE SEDUCTION @ the Independent for their 1st Headlining spot!!! Its going to be a great day and night of Music. This will be my 1st POWER TO THE PEACEFUL!

Andria Mon 8/20/2007 09:34PM

Andria

Im very excited for the PTTP party in the park. Franti does have some repeats in his shows, but ive seen him a few times and he always makes people happy and isnt that what music is all about? Yell Fire speaks for itself anyway.

funkypeace Tue 9/4/2007 03:42PM

funkypeace

AYE, HOW YOU ALL FEELIN OUT DERE?!?