BRETT DENNEN JOINS MAYER

Brett Dennen Joins Forces with John Mayer
To Offer So Much More On The Road This Summer

Brett Dennen
Singer-songwriter Brett Dennen joins forces with John Mayer this summer to offer fans So Much More on their nationwide tour. The duo will crisscross North America making stops in every major city imaginable and in between dates supporting John Mayer, Dennen and his band will make headlining appearances at clubs throughout the country.

This summer's tour finds Brett Dennen riding high on the success of his latest release, the celebrated So Much More (Dualtone Music Group). The album showcases Dennen's deft abilities as a singer, songwriter, and guitar player on songs like "She's Mine," "Ain't No Reason," and "Darlin Do Not Fear." The ten original pieces that comprise So Much More feature Dennen's troubadour aesthetic and establish him as a worthy descendant of the great American singer-songwriter tradition. He's garnered accolades from fellow musicians and journalists alike. Here's what we're reading: Brett Dennen tour dates available HERE.

[Published on: 6/27/07]

Comments

Jam2Me star Wed 6/27/2007 01:10PM
45THDUB Wed 6/27/2007 01:17PM

I was able to catch a glimpse of Brett Dennen a couple of times when I went to see ALO open for him. Let me just say BRETT DENNEN IS TERRIBLE!!! I could not believe a great band like ALO was being subject to opening for a Ricky like Brett Dennen. I def understand why they are pairing him with the likes of John Mayer. His crowd was full of college HOTTIES. Might have been the reason I stuck around to check him out. I gave him two chances to impress and he failed to even remotely spark any sort of interest. Two different shows ended the same way - The group I was with leaving 15 min into his set asking ourselves, " Why in the HELL is ALO opening for this dude?"

rpmills starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/27/2007 02:07PM

>>>>I never heard of him and I'm positive he was not better than ALO, I was so mad I left before he came out.

First of all, way to make assumptions about something you admittedly know nothing about...that comes off as very intelligent.

Second, half of Brett's band is ALO. Lebowitz on acoustic guitar and Adams on bass. These bands play together because they are friends. They both also come from California college beach towns (ALO from Santa Barbara, Brett is from Santa Cruz). Not to mention, ALO pretty much got their break from Jack Johnson...a singer songwriter with beach themes similar in style to, that's right you guessed it... Brett Dennen.

That said, this pairing bothers me cuz all it does it serve ill-informed folks, like above, who think Brett is poppy lame ass "I love you ballads". It's true Brett does have some slower songs but his lyrics are politicaly and philosophically pretty deep to these ears. On the flipside this is most fortunate for him because he will be raking in some serious dough on this tour. Shit, Mayer named the whole damn tour after his album that's some serious royalties right there alone. Well done Brett.

To the haters: Just don't come to the show, leaves more room and more ladies for me.

"Alongside my innocence I laid in bed awake
Conflicted in these chains with the impetus of age."
--Darlin' Do Not Fear, Brett Dennen

nanatod Wed 6/27/2007 02:08PM

I have never heard his music, nor care to, but the answer to the question as to why ALO opened for him apparently comes from his wikipedia entry:

"Dennen's music has been featured in several television shows, including Grey's Anatomy,...House...and...Scrubs... In addition to television series, Dennen's music has also been used in national advertising campaigns for companies such as Hilton Hotels"

peaton Wed 6/27/2007 02:57PM

peaton

The Slip was on Greys Anatomy aswell and they still rock. I think its fine if you guys dont like them but theres an old saying...."One man's trash is another man's treasure." Let the listner judge.

sunnbear Wed 6/27/2007 04:23PM

sunnbear

Hey peaton...nanatod has a bunch of "treasure" for you.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/28/2007 03:46AM

Brett Dennens first album Brett Dennen has some good songs on it. However, he sold, his tune Blessed to Mazda for a commerical!!! this is sad, I really liked the tune, until I saw it used on a commercial. I played blessed and just like the moon, off his first album on the radio. The second album is not as good. I liked Bretts first cd because he has an interesting voice and he is good on the guitar, plays fingerstyle. All I know Is the first album has a few good songs on it. I have never seen him before live. I did hear him on mtn stage and it was ok. peace..

aquariumdrunk starstarstar Thu 6/28/2007 07:25AM

aquariumdrunk

Getting down on artists for trying to cash in on advertisements is kind of ridiculous. Things aren't the same anymore and, in many cases, these are the breaks that allow them to focus on music for a living. It's not like record sales are keeping smaller artists afloat. Go ahead and bark at me about "integrity," or whatever, but I'm sure if the tables were turned and you had the opportunity to continue on doing what you love, in part due to a large check from a big faceless corporation, you'd be doing the same thing.

Also, if hearing a song on a commercial makes you do a 180, I doubt you really liked the song to begin with.

45THDUB Thu 6/28/2007 08:52AM

Tell yourselves whatever yins have to, but the fact of the matter is that Brett Dennen is a fat redheaded rickey. I am glad he is selling out, (I would too if given the chance) so he wont ruin what otherwise would be a very great night of music. His crowds are full of hot ladies and that is good, but he still sucks.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/28/2007 09:26AM

ah well. I do like the songs I said I liked ok? sell out or not, even Mazda saw the catchyness of his tune. its catchy, hate him or love him. whatever. :)

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 6/28/2007 09:28AM

when a song is sold for a commercial, it tends to kind of ruin the special feeling a person had the first time they laid ears on the tune. again, whatever. :)

k23orchestra starstarstar Thu 6/28/2007 11:17AM

k23orchestra

I apologize in advance that this comment isn't directly about the article, but please read on. Now that many folks have their pictures next to their post and once you get 7 or 8 comments down the line it generally results in some form of verbal sparring where weighty opinions shove each other around like Old School WWF in the WWW. Does this mean that sworn mortal enemies in the eternal comment battle will recognize each other in festival parking lots and throw down Highlander style upon recognition.

-There can only be one-

jrp4202 Thu 6/28/2007 12:39PM

this is for all those people who constantly talk trash about artists on this site....Where are your bands at, i dont see them on jambase, mtv, at festivals... so before you down play an artists ability and musical talent, you should look at your own, if you even have one...

..some people are just jealous of people like brett dennen and john mayer, they get all the ladies and still rockout

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/29/2007 05:38AM

haha pistols at dawn K23 :P hehe.
some take this too serious you are right. toooo serious. jeez

z man starstarstar Fri 6/29/2007 05:40AM

The song on the relix CD I thought is kick ass. I was going to buy the album but havent done so yet. Not a huge fan a John Mayor but gaining respect... I guess.

z man starstarstar Fri 6/29/2007 05:43AM

Also I heard Widespread on Fox baseball last weekend and Modest Mouse on golf. What the hell. Allman bros., more modest mouse on Jetta. I wont let that shit get to me. Even thogh I dont like the fact.

laxma13951 Fri 6/29/2007 09:32AM

Brett Dennen is great, the more I listen to him the more I like him. Great style of playing and a unique voice to go along with it. I like both Brett and ALO, they're 2 different styles of music. But to be honest, Brett holds my attention more. Brett's music is honest and thought provoking.

rpmills starstarstarstarstar Fri 6/29/2007 12:13PM

I hear ya on the bickering K23. And I'm all about folks having a forum to share their opinion whether I agree with it or not. But when I feel someone posts with some ignorance to the subject I want to shed a little information. The folks above asked why would ALO be opening for Brett, I stated some reasons why I thought so. Not trying to shit stir in the least but give some info on Brett and ALO's history is all.

Like I said before, folks that don't like it just leave more room and ladies for me. So move along folks...nothing to see here, Brett Dennen sucks indeed.

Btw K23, your band rocks it brother.

roberto767 Fri 6/29/2007 05:37PM

roberto767

Al,

I believe we should start a contest and call it the "Jambase Showdown." Since Bob Barker is no longer hosting The Price is Right, he should have plenty of free time to act as a referree for such an event. We can make it like a traveling carnival and gather angry, bitter, vengeful hippies together for a battle to the death (or at least until one of them gets a dreadlock pulled out...whichever happens first). Spectators can bid on who they think will get the living sh*t (or patchouli) beat of him/her first. I propose that we have the innaugural Jambase Showdown right here in beautiful Ocean Beach in the alley behind Winstons. The winner of showdown will then travel to all sorts of super heady places where people eat organic vegan felafel pitas. The winner of each of the Jambase showdowns will get free lifetime passes to see Brett Dennan. Who's down for the Showdown? ;)

roberto767 Fri 6/29/2007 06:45PM

roberto767

I believe Wilco sold a few tunes to Volkswagon...saw a couple new commercials with their songs. But that's ok with me because everyone knows that hippies drive VWs...and this is a hippie website that provides information for hippies. Dammit!!! My organic veggie burrito is burning! Gotta run...