Phish Releases ‘Live Bait Vol. 16’
Phish unveiled the latest installment of their Live Bait series of compilations featuring live tracks from the vault picked by archivist Kevin Shapiro. Live Bait Vol. 16 contains over two-and-a-half hours of previously unreleased tracks from past shows that took place near or in cities where the band will play this summer. The compilation is available as a free MP3 download and for streaming via the LivePhish app.
Up first is a memorable “Colonel’s Forbin’s Ascent” into “Fly Famous Mockingbird” sequence from December 4, 1992 at the intimate Mississippi Nights in St. Louis. Guitarist Trey Anastasio tells a tale during the narration between songs that includes a trip to Gamehendge via the Mississippi River. Next comes a “Scent Of A Mule” with a rare full-band jam section from November 15, 1998 at the MTSU Murphy Center in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
The compilation continues with a jaw-dropping “Ghost” from the band’s first visit to Toronto in over five years on July 20, 1999. Bassist Mike Gordon propels the group to a huge peak at which point Anastasio’s guitar starts screaming. A particularly swampy “Meat” from November 13, 1998 in Cleveland follows as well as an inspired and funk-laden “Tweezer” from November 19, 1995 in Charlotte. Also included is the first East Coast “The Curtain With” in 12 years, a “You Enjoy Myself” featuring jams on “Yield Not To Temptation” and “Mission Impossible” that took place in Bangor on May 7, 1993 and a “Sand” from July 3, 2000 in Camden containing a deep groove with impressive contributions from all four members.
Shapiro reached back to July 10, 1994 for an unusually extended “My Friend, My Friend” that includes horrific screams from Trey before the band makes the move towards “Julius” at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs, New York. Finally, the compilation ends with the stellar pairing of “Wilson” and “Foam” that started Phish’s second set at Alpine Valley on August 9, 1997. Both versions feature outstanding interplay during the composed sections, which made its inclusion a wise choice. All told, the 10 tracks span 1992 – 2000 and have never previously circulated.
Live Bait Vol. 16 Tracklist
- Colonel Forbin’s Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird (12/4/92 Mississippi Nights – St. Louis, MO)
- Scent Of A Mule (11/15/98 MTSU Murphy Center – Murfreesboro, TN)
- Ghost (7/20/99 Molson Amphitheatre – Toronto, Ontario, CANADA)
- Meat (11/13/98 CSU Convocation Center – Cleveland, OH)
- Tweezer (11/19/95 Charlotte Coliseum – Charlotte, NC)
- The Curtain With (9/17/00 Merriweather Post Pavilion – Columbia, MD)
- You Enjoy Myself (5/7/93 Bangor Auditorium, Bangor, ME)
- Sand (7/3/00 E Centre – Camden, NJ)
- My Friend My Friend > Julius (7/10/94 Saratoga Performing Arts Center – Saratoga Springs, NY)
- Wilson > Foam (8/9/97 Alpine Valley Music Theatre – East Troy, WI)