Following Phil Lesh & Friends’ sold-out New Year’s Eve shows in Hawaii, a special version of The Terrapin All-Stars set off to Kaua’i and partnered with Innovative Giving Enhancement to raise funds for Kaua’i Hospice with their own event called A Grateful Aloha.
A Grateful Aloha, IGE’s first annual benefit concert for Kaua’i Hospice featured the all-star lineup of Scott Law, Grahame Lesh, Ross James, Jason Crosby and Alex Koford, with special guests Billy Nershi and Keith Moseley of The String Cheese Incident, legendary guitarist and songwriter Danny “Kootch” Kortchmar, Tim Bluhm of The Mother Hips and a stellar sit-in by Eric Krasno of Soulive and Lettuce fame.
The packed Kaua’i Community College Performing Arts Center crowd was treated to a range of Grateful Dead standards, as well as artist originals including two extended versions of Danny Kortchmar’s seminal compositions, “Dirty Laundry,” written for Don Henley and “Machine Gun Kelly,” for James Taylor. From the first notes of the “Jack Straw” opening to an endearing “Brokedown Palace” and bluegrass-inspired “Ripple” encore, the diverse island crowd was largely on its feet for the three plus hours of the show.
The sold out concert raised funds for Kaua’i Hospice’s Transitional Music Program, a project that places live musicians in end of life rooms and facilities.
Audio (Taped by MAKU)
Set: IGE intro, Jack Straw > The Music Never Stopped, Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues, The Wheel, GDTRFB, U.S. Blues, Bird Song > New Speedway Boogie, Uncle John’s Band > Shakedown Street > Uncle John’s Band, Squeaky Wheel, Dirty Laundry, Machine Gun Kelly, The Weight > I Know You Rider, Brokedown Palace
Terrapin Family Band:
- Grahame Lesh – Guitar & Lead Vocals
- Ross James – Guitar & Lead Vocals Track 2
- Scott Law – Guitar & Vocals, Mandolin Tracks 3, 4, 5, 13
- Alex Koford – Drums & Vocals
- Jason Crosby – Keyboards & Vocals, Fiddle Track 5
- Billy Nershi – Acoustic Guitar & Lead Vocals Track 3, 4, 5, 14
- Keith Moseley – Bass & Vocals
- Tim Bluhm – Acoustic Guitar & Lead Vocals Tracks 6, 9, 13
- Danny Kortchmar – Electric Fender & Lead Vocals Tracks 10, 11
- Eric Krasno – Electric Guitar Tracks 10, 11, 14
- Lewi Longmire – Electric Guitar Track 14