GALACTIC HIP-HOP ALBUM

GALACTIC IN STUDIO RECORDING HIP-HOP CENTRIC RECORD

ALBUM TO FEATURE COLLABORATIONS WITH MR. LIF, CHALI 2NA
LYRICS BORN BOOTS RILEY, LATEEF THE TRUTHSPEAKER
GIFT OF GAB, LADYBUG MECCA AND OTHERS

Galactic
New Orleans funk band Galactic is working on the follow-up to their 2003 release, Ruckus. The band has been co-writing tracks with a variety of vocalists and MCs including Jurassic 5's Chali 2na, Gift of Gab from Blackalicious, Mr. Lif, Lyrics Born, The Coup's Boots Riley, Lateef the Truth Speaker, Ladybug of Digable Planets, and others. In addition, the record will include various New Orleans icons including Mardi Gras Indian Big Chief Monk Boudreaux and Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews.

The hip-hop themed record will meld Galactic's own New Orleans street funk with some of today's most progressive MCs, something the band has experimented with in their live performances. Over the last several years, the group has appeared with the likes of Lyrics Born, Talib Kweli, The Roots, Jurassic 5, and Z-Trip. They also recently backed Juvenile on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

"Everyone in the band listens to a lot of hip-hop" says saxophonist Ben Ellman. "We have always felt there is a natural connection between the New Orleans funk and brass band music that has inspired our sound and the rhythmic aspects of hip-hop. We wanted to push ourselves on this record to do something really different. We felt it would be fun to make an album with some of our favorite MCs with us as a foundation since its always felt great when we've had the opportunity to do it live."

The band is currently considering whether to put the record out on their own imprint or through a label. They are targeting a late summer 2007 release.

About Galactic:
Galactic was formed in the mid-'90s after two Washington, DC, punks relocated to New Orleans and found themselves intoxicated by the scene that nurtured classic funk pioneers such as the Meters, the Neville Brothers and Dr. John. Armed with the rhythmic tradition of their adopted hometown, guitarist Jeff Raines, bassist Robert Mercurio, saxophonist Ben Ellman, keyboardist Rich Vogel, and drummer Stanton Moore have spent over a decade tearing through venues across the world, leaving hordes of die-hard Galactic junkies in their wake. Galactic has created a far-reaching canon—including six albums and countless live performances on their way to establishing themselves as one of the most popular live acts in the U.S.

At home and abroad, the band has appeared with an astonishing range of concert blockbusters including the Dave Matthews Band, The Roots, Jurassic 5, Jack Johnson, Talib Kweli, the Allman Brothers Band, Live, Widespread Panic, B.B. King, Counting Crows and James Brown. Galactic has appeared at many of the world's premier music festivals, including Fuji Rock, Bonnaroo, Austin City Limits, Coachella and eight consecutive performances at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. On the road and in the studio, Galactic continue to reinvent themselves, inspiring their ever-growing fan base with ongoing artistic evolution, synthesizing the most thrilling elements of vintage and contemporary styles to keep the party rolling.

[Published on: 1/29/07]

Comments

dudeski3 Mon 1/29/2007 10:36AM

dudeski3

Galactic is so badass.

EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 10:37AM

EVILFUNK

hmm...verry interesting.id like to hear thisone...

mc Levi starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 10:56AM

mc Levi

Galactic + Botts Riley = Really Funky Shit

BubbbleHouse Mon 1/29/2007 11:15AM

beautiful.....beautiful

-Galactic is balls...

PlanetVibes starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 11:41AM

I am sure this will stir up a debate; however, I admire this effort and I believe everyone else should, too. Although the bands music may have tighter connections to the hip-hop scene as the comments by Ellman suggest,Galactic really is "stepping out of the box" and genertaing some new ground.

Is this a huge risk? Yes, but isn't that what this music thing is about?!

dr.cube Mon 1/29/2007 11:49AM

dr.cube

gon' be ill

Road To Shambala Mon 1/29/2007 11:51AM

Road To Shambala

Wow, a Jambase post without any bickering (yet). There is no "box" for Galactic to be in. They have not been grouped into 1 genre by this community that started out of not wanting big biz record company's categorizations. That being said, anyone going to Wednesday's show in the Burg hit me up. Can't f'ng wait!!!

jahrome17 starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 11:56AM

this is going to be amazing

iamkickinit starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 12:00PM

iamkickinit

Saw Galactic perform at Vegoose with Gift of Gab and Ladybug... awesome collaborations. Cant wait to hear the rest of this album... Here's to hoping for some special guests down at Langerado this March, peace and love

Andrew starstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 12:00PM

Andrew

Cool project, although, I will be pleasantly surprised if it results in anything more than watered-down collaborations. I hope for the best. Some real talent on this roster.

cliftonhanger starstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 12:08PM

Galactic rocks! They need to come to Buffalo some time. Peace.

saba Mon 1/29/2007 12:35PM

saba

nice! just saw them this weekend, and it was just as good as ever.

spaceface7 starstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 12:35PM

Hell yeah they do, cliftonhanger, or ROC city. Kinda sucks I'm finding out about this album now, when it dosent even come out till the end of summer... Looking forward to k-dubs new "dream" though.

omdlap Mon 1/29/2007 12:36PM

This will be the only Galactic cd I will not own. It just doesn't jive with me.

JammIn, hip-hop Out.

cuttyfives Mon 1/29/2007 01:00PM

nerd rap is so 5 years ago, galactic rocks none the less

Gille starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 01:27PM

Gille

This album will be amazing, to anyone put off by this check out the show they did at Jazzfest 2004 with Jurasic 5 at The State Palace Theatre. They laid down some amazing beats for J5 to spit sick rhymes over and did it on the fly. I can only imagine time in the studio to tighten this up will make for some amazing new music. I lost it in 04 at that show and I cannot wait until they bring that new shit to Chicago!

Shoney starstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 02:33PM

I cant imagine anything other than great grooves and bad ass ryhmes comin from this. All the above mentioned rappers are all very lyrically talented. I saw J5 with Kellar opening for them and every wook in the place was gettin down!

AzNate starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 03:06PM

AzNate

I second that emotion re: the Vegoose set from 06. Good stuff!

FrogBrigade22 starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 04:13PM

FrogBrigade22

Wow, i can see this album being incredible, there is some real talent going into this, I'm looking foward to it.

ganjjjj starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 04:13PM

ganjjjj

they could have found some muuuuch better rappers I think...

koach starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 04:53PM

Lateef the truth speaker is real legit...same with gift of gab who is the main emcee from BLackalicious, Lyrics born is talented, mr. lif is political, 2NA IS CLASSIC... Overall i think this will be pretty good...galactic will come through!!

SeeBliss Mon 1/29/2007 05:22PM

SeeBliss

This should not labeled as hip hop, instead it should be called rythm and beats. I've seen Galactic with someone rapping to it and it is awesome! Hip Hop to me is someone rapping to a dj or some pre-recoreded stuff. Galactic and these other artists are doing what I would love to see most rappers do: perform with a live band. With a live band the bass and rythm are so much more impressing than just a dj. I have never been disapointed w/ anything from Galactic and look forward to this album and hopefully seeing a preview of it at Langerado.
Uh, yeah, say what say what!

lovelivedos Mon 1/29/2007 07:01PM

lovelivedos

looking forward to this one. galactic is sick and i can't wait to see them at langerado

The1AndOnlyDJCT starstarstarstarstar Mon 1/29/2007 08:50PM

Damn, I can't wait for this! That's a great line-up already. I hope they'll add J-Live and Talib Kweli to that list!

play4on2mr0music Mon 1/29/2007 08:59PM

play4on2mr0music

This is true hip hop... I love the funk! makes my feet move

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 04:22AM

1-26-07 at the Roxy in atlanta was freakin sickkk!!!!!

papa mali was the opener and guest.. and he is kick ass too.

peace ya'll

shackca star Tue 1/30/2007 08:24AM

shackca

I LOVE Galactic, but HATE Rap. I mean whats next? Snoop Dog collaboration? Stay to your roots funk bro's!!!! The Vegoose shows were totally lame. The Jam Cruise shows were off the hook. I mean would you rather here Galactic play with Denson, etc. or playing with Gift of Gab, homey bomey mofo a tomey? haha

phishdrum Tue 1/30/2007 09:41AM

"Hip Hop to me is someone rapping to a dj or some pre-recoreded stuff." Clbiss1, you don't call The Roots hip-hop?

Mdpickles starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 09:52AM

Oh yeah..can't wait to the funkiest band around in Phillytown on thurs. Galactic goes from Dan "The Automater" to a hip-hop themed album? That's terrific. Now that James Brown is down, Stanton Moore is now "the hardest working man in show business."

BooneRes starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 10:31AM

BooneRes

Lyrics Born, The Digable Planets thats some sick shit right there and man I would like to have my way with Ladybug!!!!!! This album sounds sick and im not the biggest Galactic fan but I will be giving this one listen!

galacticfunk23 starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 11:30AM

Just saw Galactic in Asheville and damn are these guys hott right now. I mean on fire. The show in Asheville was a bitter cold 10 degrees with snow filled streets and the fans didn't seem to mind, while they slid down Biltmore St. with no traffic. This was really a blizzard; thank goodness Galactic heated things up in the Orange Peel. These guys lit it up in all meanings of the word. Led Zeppelin covers of Kashmir and Lemon Song were uncanny in resemblance to the original Led hits. Also they brought back an old favorite "Mr. Saturday Night Special" this was awesome with the Tshimago singer doing his best Van Zandt. Along with Guilded Splinters, Shibuya, Tiger Roll, and some new stuff. Galactic is the TRUTH. Good to see them again.

m00ns starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 11:59AM

m00ns

i miss the house man but this is an interesting direction

letshavesomefun Tue 1/30/2007 01:44PM

Anybody miss House Man. The Man was their Soul. House Man where you at?

Darkstar16 starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 02:01PM

This album is going to be amazing. Haters prepare to be owned.

mccordo starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 02:07PM

mccordo

Let me be the first (at least on this page) to say that I would love to see a co-headline tour with Galactic and The Roots...live hip-hop at it's finest! As a huge Galactic fan, I'm both excited and curious to see how this disc will sound. I've seen and/or heard some of their collaborations with J5, Triple Threat DJs and Juvenile, and while I'll be the first to admit that it isn't at the top of my list of favorite Galactic performances, I dig the direction they're going in. They always keeping the fans on our toes, whether it be by adding a female vocalist, going all-instrumental, and now adding the hip-hop element. My only real complaint is with Lyrics Born...I saw him open the show and then sit-in for a song or 2 in Columbus during Fall Tour '05 and was unimpressed. His rhyme style just did not mesh with me, so I hope that things were a little different in the studio.

As far as Houseman goes, last I heard he was staying with family in Chicago and had some health problems he was getting through; diabetes-related I think. As much as I love the new/harder/edgier sound and am looking forward to some hip-hop related guests, I still miss the days when House would come struttin' on stage in his bright zoot suit with matching shoes to lay down the funk. "This next one goes out to all the ladies...all the ladies in the house say 'yeah'!"

Sj42286 starstarstarstarstar Tue 1/30/2007 07:05PM

Sj42286

this should be galactactic...mr. lif is fuckin awesome repin boston. fuck a right doggy!

SeeBliss Tue 1/30/2007 08:21PM

SeeBliss

phishdrum- I meant to say typical hip hop is someone rapping over pre-recorded music, i.e. 50 cent. Roots are badass! I've seen them live as well. I wish more would follow their lead.

Zapzapa Wed 1/31/2007 08:18AM

Zapzapa

This album will be great i saw galactic Halloween'04 at stubbs in austin one of the first tours without houseman. scratch "king of the beat box" in my opinion formly of the roots opend and sat in with them on the encore they covered Herbie Hancocks Rockit it was so funky. If you have any doubts about live bands on stage with mc's STS9 has been doing it for awhile and it sounds GREAT this album will will bring the funk out in whole a new way cant wait to buy it or copy it if you have any doubts about hip hop and improv bands check out STS9's Arigato sick beats

cuttyfives Wed 1/31/2007 10:49AM

sts9 w/ emcees= wackness
if i go to a show where mcs rap over sts9 i would walk out and demand a refund....i love hip hop just as much as hippie scum music but not when they are combined

Zapzapa Wed 1/31/2007 11:01AM

Zapzapa

then you would have walked out of bonnaroo'05 late night becasue thats happend there. sucks they wouldn't refund your money and you would be walking for a long time being that your in the middle of nowhere tennesse and for the last two NYE shows they brought out Collective Efforts and Richard Devine he is Atlanta Hip-Hop Dj who did entire improv set with them

shackca star Wed 1/31/2007 11:48AM

shackca

Question - say you pay $20-$30 and buy a ticket to see Galactic come to town. But you don't get Galactic Funk, you get Galactic Hip Hop. Would you be pissed and ask for $$ back? What if you paid the same to see Kellar, Yonder others and they completely didn't play their original music and played completely different music, how would you feel? Sorry guys, I really thought Galactic Vegoose sucked big time. All the other times I have seen them they were AWESOME cause they played FUNK .One of the reasons why I traveled to Vegoose (and paid alot) was I was expecting to see Galactic FUNK FUNK FUNK - not something completely different. If I knew it was going to be a rap hip hop concert I sure as hell would have stayed home!!!

Zapzapa Wed 1/31/2007 11:52AM

Zapzapa

no i wouldn't because they wouldn't refund it and as far as galactic doing hip hop its fine by me

Zapzapa Wed 1/31/2007 12:23PM

Zapzapa

J Dilla aka Jay Dee the miles davis of hip-hop may he R.I.P.

bigchris starstarstarstar Wed 1/31/2007 02:34PM

I don't miss the houseman at all, change was needed. I hope he is healtly, though. I think this will be a great change for the band hooking up with the Quannam crew and J5. They know the jazzy beats, so this should be pretty cool.

boxofrain Wed 1/31/2007 06:53PM

Looks good, the Mr. lif possibilities remix on the STS9 Artifact:Perspectives is nice.

Icculus049 starstarstarstar Wed 1/31/2007 06:56PM

This Cd Will Be One Of The Best This Year. Galactic Has Managed To Get Some Of The Most Talented Mc's Out There I Can Not wait To Hear It.

breadloaf starstarstarstar Thu 2/1/2007 08:25AM

Stanton has got to be one of the tastiest, most musical drummers who ever beat the skins.

crazypeanutman starstarstarstar Thu 2/1/2007 07:30PM

i think ill save my money and go see stanton moore's band. i saw galactic right after they dropped their singer and they kicked ass, all just jammin on funk.

collaborations really change the entire feeling of the music. christian mcbride band did the same thing a few years ago with DJ logic, and they turned it into a hip-hop electronica show. going from playing a weather report or classic jazz song into a beat-boxed turntable based song just doesnt work, even though it really sounds good.

jenofeve Fri 2/2/2007 09:17AM

jenofeve

Post-Galactic Show tonight at Lion's Den with Eric Lindell.

He's rumored to have special guests from Irving Plaza....
Eric's playing 2 sets.
come!

galacticfunk23 starstarstarstarstar Sun 2/4/2007 01:01PM

You can catch the Therryl "Houseman" DeCloute at the end of The Dukes of Hazzard movie, he is the judge at the end. Big ups to the Houseman, good luck in Hollywood.

jhrt3349 starstarstarstarstar Mon 2/5/2007 12:21PM

jhrt3349

Was at Irving the other night...

all i can say is WHEW, what a fuckin show!