Noise Pop: Malkmus, Ritter, Riot

NOISE POP 2009 FESTIVAL NEW ARTIST CONFIRMATIONS & BADGES ON SALE NOW
Stephen Malkmus, St. Vincent, Josh Ritter, Ra Ra Riot, French Kicks
Martha Wainwright, Morning Benders, Submarines

Stephen Malkmus
Noise Pop has announced additional headliners for Noise Pop 2009, the West Coast's premiere independent celebration of music, film and art. The 17th annual Noise Pop Festival will take place February 24 through March 1, 2009 at venues throughout San Francisco, CA.

Noise Pop 2009 is proud to welcome Stephen Malkmus, making his San Francisco Bay Area live solo debut as part of the festival. St. Vincent, Josh Ritter, French Kicks, Ra Ra Riot, Martha Wainwright, Broken West, The Morning Benders, and The Submarines also join previously announced headliners, Antony & The Johnsons, No Age, A.C. Newman, and Clues, for Noise Pop 2009.

Also announced, Noise Pop Festival Badges are on sale now from the newly launched Noise Pop 2009 Festival website. Noise Pop Badges grant the owner entry to all general admission Noise Pop Festival events and are priced at $150 each with a 10% discount being offered until January 12, 2009.

In addition to dozens of live music events, Noise Pop 2009 will include a film festival, gallery art openings, and "Industry Noise" (co-produced with Bandwidth Conference) a single day music industry conference featuring educational panels. Also returning for the fourth year is "Pop 'n' Shop" – Noise Pop's take on the local indie designer trunk sale and rock poster show.

[Published on: 12/12/08]

Comments

crazyleggedelbow Fri 12/12/2008 12:01PM

the only artist on this line-up that i've even heard of is Ra Ra Riot and i've never actually heard them.

i'm in Ohio so I def won't be at this, but I hope for those who attend that the music is great and good times are had by all.

Andy Fri 12/12/2008 12:07PM

Andy

Malkmus :)

crazyleggedelbow Fri 12/12/2008 01:17PM

why the hell do I get two thumbs down? i merely stated that i've never heard any of this music, i won't be there, but I hope it's a blast... should I have said: "fuck this fest, shitty line-up, where's my panic at?"

elephantghost Fri 12/12/2008 02:58PM

St. Vincent is absolutly amazing!

Malkmus will also be a good time.

Jukebox Hero Fri 12/12/2008 06:39PM

Jukebox Hero

Everyone should know who Malkmus is: One of the best guitar players on the planet, not to mention his songwriting skills. This should be good, but $150? This lineup pales in comparison to Northwest Music Fest in Portland, which cost only $50 for a four-day wristband. I'm sure they'll announce more artists, but for a club-based festival where you're not even guaranteed entry to every show, this seems expensive. Oh, well. I'm sure everyone who goes will have a blast. Don't miss Malkmus!

Jack Straw Berry starstarstar Fri 12/12/2008 08:05PM

Jack Straw Berry

Malkmus is great...lyrically and as a guitar player...but he's a uneven/lazy sob sometimes on stage (that is when he isn't blowing you away with his indie- cum- hippy rock stylings )...he's also very caught up in how clever he thinks he is (and sometimes he even is that clever)...Martha Wainright is pretty good too...

gkwoodward starstarstarstarstar Sat 12/13/2008 12:02AM

gkwoodward

Crazyleggedelbow- I must say, although you have had somewhat valid points....how can you say you don't know any of the musicians except Ra Ra Riot? If you don't (seriously) know who Stephen Malkmus is, then you shouldn't be able to comment on Jambase threads...I know it's harsh, but com'on, if you don't know Pavement, you either slept through the 1990s or are a 14 year old girl...hate to say I told you so.

"And if yah don't know, then now you know..."

peace and love nonetheless my brothers and sistas.

Cola21 Sat 12/13/2008 12:12AM

Cola21

That was the dumbest comment I've ever read, gkwoodward. But I'm sure you're a lovely person.

curtbraski starstarstar Sat 12/13/2008 11:02AM

curtbraski

i like that one guy who was in that band asphalt... i mean pavement

curtbraski Sat 12/13/2008 11:03AM

curtbraski

btw crazyleg you sound like an asshole

curtbraski Sat 12/13/2008 11:04AM

curtbraski

you probably listen to GirlTalk nuff said

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Sat 12/13/2008 10:33PM

HoodooVoodoo

Personally, I find Pavement highly overrated. They have a few decent tunes but nothing is mindblowing that I've heard. I'd love to have my mind changed though. Any recommendations?

crazyleggedelbow Sun 12/14/2008 12:02AM

fuck you curtbraski. i've never listened to girl talk but I'd give him a chance. it's dance music right? all remixes and samples right? i've heard of him. if I liked his music what would that say about me? what you are trying to say by assuming i'm a fan? that I have bad taste in music? ok i'm done with the sarcasm.

by the way, i'm 24 and I've heard barely any pavement in my lifetime. some people I used to be friends with liked pavement, but none of my close friends like them or ever tried to turn me on to them. sorry for this crime against humanity. sorry to the gods of music that I never checked pavement out on my own. sorry for being a failure to mankind.

however I'm familiar with the pavement, i thought they were industrial sounding... weren't they on the crow motion picture soundtrack? weren't they actually in the movie? I think I know ONE song by that band... what the fuck type elitist comment is "you shouldn't be allowed to comment here" because I don't know their fucking guitarist's name? you gotta be fucking kidding me... i was unaware that pavement was an musical amazing entity, who were creative geniuses who had such a VAST influence and their catalog was a must-have for ANY MUSIC FAN...

mark my words: I WILL definitely check out Pavement NOW since you speak so highly of them...

but now I have a bad taste in my mouth because of their fans. you guys need to chill out.

and curtbraski, I sound like an asshole? just because I've never heard of any of these dudes? fuck off. sorry they are all your favorite bands and I shat right on all of them(even tho i've never heard them).

check out my band http://www.myspace.com/crazylegs513 we don't suck and I don't care what you think about us

gkwoodward Sun 12/14/2008 10:39AM

gkwoodward

Hey All,

I apologize for the misintent in my earlier comment...writing on these threads is like text messaging or instant messaging- you never truly know the emotion/intent of the sender...damn you technology...anyways, I was just messin' around...no real hard feelings obviously to anyone.

But besides the point Pavement is an amazing group if ya'll give them a chance...Wowee Zowee....Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain...Brighten the Corners...are all great time capsules of the 1990s...

Again, I apologize if anyone felt I was an "asshole" here...the last thing I want to do is come across like other members of the community who I detest in their douchebag comments that are of actual malice...

Happy Holidays!

gkwoodward Sun 12/14/2008 10:41AM

gkwoodward

p.s.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks......his new group, is a treat as well...

Ned8 starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/15/2008 08:38AM

I was going to say this fest is about seeing artists you have not seen before or in Stephen Malkmus's case have not seen in a while.Hope I don't get lambasted

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Mon 12/15/2008 03:41PM

HoodooVoodoo

I listened to a couple of Malkmus's solo albums. I like them better than pavement. Cleaner and more psychedelic sound.

desert_drifter Mon 12/15/2008 06:21PM

desert_drifter

1st off, i'm a huge pavement fan. i was one of the few people at the starlake phish show in 99 who freaked out when they played gold soundz, but i have to say that august west summed up my feelings about malkmus. thanks august! pavement and malkmus are both awesome, but malkmus is a pompous asshole on stage. when pavement broke up i preferred preston school of industry because spiral stairs never acted like a jerk at shows. that said, when malkmus plays with the jicks, his girlfriend (the bassist) keeps him in check with even smarter ass comments. malkmus solo could be interesting. and crazyleggedelbow, chill out and listen to crooked rain, crooked rain.