Flaming Lips Halloween: March of 1000 Flaming Skeletons

THE FLAMING LIPS CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN IN OKLAHOMA CITY
WITH 2ND ANNUAL "MARCH OF 1000 FLAMING SKELETONS"
VOTE FOR THE FLAMING LIPS TO WIN OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA STATE ROCK SONG

The Flaming Lips
As we gently fall into Mother Earth's Autumnal embrace, The Flaming Lips naturally turn their darker thoughts to Halloween, their second favorite holiday. As expected, The Lips will once again host their annual March of 1000 Flaming Skeletons parade on October 25, in downtown Oklahoma City's Bricktown district, just a stones' throw away from Flaming Lips Alley.

Last year's inaugural Ghouls Gone Wild event was a huge success that drew Lips fans from around the globe. This year's Supernatural procession will be even more incendiary as festive floats, (in)appropriately adorned cars, walking groups, and plenty of surprises along with 1,000-strong undead snaking through the streets of Oklahoma City. Wayne Coyne will lead the evening's proceedings as Master of Ceremonies Extraordinaire.

In order to participate in this year's event, fans must register via the Lips website. Special registration packages are on sale now and include a reserved spot in the "March of 1000 Flaming Skeletons" parade along with a exclusive Death March branded Skeleton costume, a Torch (participants must be at least 18 years of age, in sound/stable mental faculty, and agree to participate in a safe, responsible manner as we're talking about actual hot flaming fire here), and a super limited-edition event t-shirt only available to participants. It's going to be an unholy blast!

In other Lips related activities, The Official Oklahoma Rock Song Advisory Panel has selected ten finalist songs to represent the great State of Oklahoma. Naturally, The Flaming Lips and their song "Do You Realize??," from the gold-certified album Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots, is one of the contenders for Official Rock Song of Oklahoma. Other finalists include J.J. Cale, Hoyt Axton, All American Rejects, Leon Russell, and many more cool Okies. For a complete list of finalists and to cast your vote, go to: www.oklahomarocksong.org. Voting has already begun, so log in and do the right thing America!

As previously announced, The Flaming Lips will release their long-awaited Sci-Fi fantasy film, CHRISTMAS ON MARS on November 11, 2008.

[Published on: 10/14/08]

Comments

C00lmike Tue 10/14/2008 05:05PM
uhoh Tue 10/14/2008 05:27PM
DirtyRice starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 05:39PM

DirtyRice

i strongly disagree with the mediocre at best comment. The Soft Bulletin is a definite masterpiece and even though their studio efforts havent topped that one they are still worthy of purchase, especially if its a used copy. Live, i havent seen the Lips (minus Austin City Limits, and an old school Reverb) but i was lucky enough to catch them as Beck's backing band quite a few years back which was a special treat for fans of either band. Why dont the Flaming Lips tour anymore?? It'd sell out fo sho. Halloween on Mars in OKC!!

Trojan88 Tue 10/14/2008 05:42PM

this is going to be fuckin amazing

granola Tue 10/14/2008 05:42PM
fishbone1 starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 05:45PM

fishbone1

oh my they're doing it again! wow. i wish i lived closer. The video from last year is crazy. I would be afraid of some crazed skeleton burning my dreadlocks off, though. I can't wait for Christmas on Mars to come out on DVD. The movie is a monumental mind-fuck, and I hope it translates well from their custom tent theater to the home theater. The Flaming Lips make me smile from ear to ear. : D

RichardHaley starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 06:04PM

Curiously, have you naysayers ever spent any time with their albums, especially "The Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi"? Those are two of the more impressive albums of the past decade and they were both hugely influential on so much that's come after. Of course this is all personal opinion/taste, and everyone has their own vibe, but to call visionaries like this "mediocre" is sorta ridiculous. It actually sorta makes you sound uneducated on the matter. i'd def be interested in seeing a list of a dozen artists or so who have been more influential or interesting over the past the decade. So how about we back up these claims of the Lips being so lame with some examples of bands that are better. (And i'm not even tryin to claim the Lips as "the greatest" or "my favorite band" b/c they are neither, but man, they are damn good songwriters who make amazing albums and put on incredible shows.)

C00lmike Tue 10/14/2008 06:07PM

C00lmike

Yeah, I guess I haven't really listened to their albums. But I've seen them live a couple of times (where it matters in my book), and they've done nothing to get me going whatsoever. I've talked to many people who happen to agree with me. However, I realize that many people don't. Like you said, it's all personal opinion/taste.

moonsafari starstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 06:31PM

moonsafari

The lips have a great stage show and can put together a hell of an album,At War w/ the Mystics was the best of its year, although their attention to their music's complexity and detail at times plays a second fiddle to the stage antics. A lot of what makes their music great is the little bells and whistles they add in post, that may get left out when Wayne is walking on your face.

RambleOnShelbyRose starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 06:53PM

RambleOnShelbyRose

Yoshimi battles the pink robots is one of my most favorite albums, on my itunes most listened section the entire album is on their, it's a great concept album and it really explores feelings and things that aren't always talked about, it's a modern day sgt peppers is how i think of it.

AintNoFreedom starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 07:00PM

AintNoFreedom

I'm surprised at the lack of love for the Flips from most of y'all... and for the album At War With the Mystics. I love these guys, wish I could go. It'd make for one hell of a Halloween.

acomma Tue 10/14/2008 07:37PM

acomma

Why don't they just get some actors and a playwright and call it a dramatic production?

nickMACd Tue 10/14/2008 07:50PM

nickMACd

yea the flaming lips are kind of like a broadway show. but its a f*cking awesome broadway show. Why do so many people discuss music on here like its a competition? sure, the lips will NOT take you on a long mystical jam journey like the great bands we know and love, but they DO make incredible and beautiful art and they should be respected in their own right. I especially did not like them upon first impression, but I am glad that they exist and I have grown more fond of them the more I listen. Don't hate on someone else's LOVE

Recreational Chemist starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 07:55PM

Recreational Chemist

I remember waiting for mule at roo in 07 when I saw the space ship land...The flaming lips have created a way to make wonderful sounds, doesnt even seem like there are people making the music, epic performance, I think all of roo was there. pretty fun in 03 too, or was it 04

jesposito starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 07:58PM

jesposito

I've never met anyone who didn't have fun at a Flips show and quite frankly I don't ever want to.

Jukebox Hero Tue 10/14/2008 08:02PM

Jukebox Hero

I wouldn't call a Lips show a dramatic production, but it is certainly theatric. And what's wrong with that? Have you ever seen "Rust Never Sleeps" or "Stop Making Sense"? Or the fucking Wall?!? Those are pretty damn dramatic if you ask me. Do they make Neil Young, David Byrn, or Floyd any less of musicians? I sure as hell don't think so.

Remember that the Dead were kind of revolutionary in that they just wore t-shirts and stood around, instead of actually putting on a "show." That is not the norm for a concert. Anytime a band's stage show does not conform to the example set by the Dead (i.e. 2 sets and an encore, long jams, segues between songs, etc.), people on this site get all huffy-puffy. I know this website is called Jambase, but if folks haven't figured out that Jambase has expanded beyond the (in my opinion rather stale) jam scene, well then they just haven't been paying attention.

I will admit that the Lips have trouble recreating the incredible sonic landscapes in the live setting, but I don't think it's because of the stage show. I think their albums are just very highly produced (in a good way) and are very difficult to recreate.

berba1 Tue 10/14/2008 09:19PM
berba1 Tue 10/14/2008 09:20PM
traffic starstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:19PM

traffic

Way to go Lips. I live out in San Diego but grew up in OKC and have seen that town grow and is embracing it's strong influence over music throughout the years. sure this will be a blast. Lips put on a great show and write good music. I would be a skeleton with you Wayne if back in OKC, most likely dosing everyone. Will be in Chi-town watching Umph., but congrats and all who are thinking about going will have a great time. Cheers all.

traffic starstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:21PM

traffic

But J.J Cale should win the Oklahoma Rock Song competition.

C00lmike Tue 10/14/2008 10:28PM

C00lmike

Are these boards not for expressing your opinion about the article in question? I don't like the bands music, and I'm really really sorry about that, but I admitted the Halloween show will probably be cool because their stage antics are crazy over the top. Everyone relax. I guess I've learned for next time to make sure to add "I think" before I make any statement about any band covered on this website.

C00lmike Tue 10/14/2008 10:33PM

C00lmike

And yes berba, "I do think" that Widespread Panic kicks the shit out of the Lips. Just my two cents.

nickname starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:41PM

This event was a total let down last year. The police in my hometown, Oklahoma City are total assholes. Also, The Lips do not perform a single song on Hallow's Eve. We all got excited last year and it could have been great, but it just wasn't. The Lips are great and hopefully, this year will be better, but you will have to let me know.

nickname starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:43PM

Also, I cannot stress enough: THE LIPS DO NOT PERFORM A SINGLE SONG ON HALLOWEEN IN OKLAHOMA CITY.

bigchris Wed 10/15/2008 12:10AM

comparing the Lips to great bands like Floyd, Neil Young & Crazy Horse and the Talking Heads is a joke. Wayne can't sing a lick, period. He's not a dynamic songwriter either,IMO. They use lots of pre-recorded tape loops just to pull off their live "perfomance", which is weaksauce. Most of the music lacks balls anyway, its so sappy and gay. I think of them as a theatrical troupe rather than an rock band. If that's what you're into, no biggy. Just don't compare them to great rock bands, which they aren't even close too.

Where's that day-glo Santa suit?

bigfro Wed 10/15/2008 04:04AM

bigfro

It's a good thing they have all these tricks or someone might listen to their music

farflantz Wed 10/15/2008 04:12AM

I have met hundreds of people who think the Flaming Lips are a bunch of posers. I must've talked to 50 just at the first Vegoose alone. EVen with the costume contest and all they were awful. The lips more belong at Coachella with the rest of the posers who can't play. Or Sundance for that matter then on a stage for music. SO forget being polite. Those of you who have never met someone who didn't like a Lips show must not have many friends. This band is awful and boring. I watched them 4 or 5 times enjoying the stage show while HATING the music. It's like a moive with a great actor and great effects, but no story.

jolanaopava Wed 10/15/2008 04:19AM

They put zero thought into their music and too much thought into their stage it's like someone who remakes an old movie and changes the name because they can't think of anything new to write. Yea they are happy guys, but this sounds like bad Europop. Widespread Panic and their coked out fans are much better than the Lips and they aren't even that good.

acidfilms Wed 10/15/2008 04:30AM
giggler5 Wed 10/15/2008 04:41AM

the flaming lips are original, artistic, and entertaining. that's what they are: entertainers. just cuz they don't jam, they still put on one hell of a show.

berba1 Wed 10/15/2008 05:41AM
berba1 Wed 10/15/2008 05:44AM

ohyeah and farflantz has obviously never taken acid, and no story there is a story to the UFO show so obviously it just flew over your head I really cant believe poeple are actually calling the lips posers and shit and then stating that bands like widespread and sts9 whoop their ass

kayaker247 starstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 06:01AM

kayaker247

Yoshimi is genius!

granola Wed 10/15/2008 06:26AM

Berba you are such a fucking dumbass. Youre actually saying that a Panic show is boring and a Flaming Lips show is not. Ive seen them 3 times and it was the same stupid shitty show and I walked away from it saying how much it fucking SUCKED. Damn your stupid berba, so fucking stupid.

jordonimo Wed 10/15/2008 06:32AM

jordonimo

wow, folks are really divided on this one like black and white. i love their shows and think they are the most unique band out there

theivywall starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 06:49AM

theivywall

I dig the lips. At summercamp this year Wayne Coyne got the security staff to give thier solemnb vow to not detain or harm anyone walking around naked so long as they weren't hurting anyone. Too bad it was like 50 degrees outside. That comparison above between Panic and the Lips is hilarious. I too love the Sex Pistols but one must consider the more dark, ominous, exploratory style of Beethoven's 4, 5, 6 symphonies as a considerable improvement upon the style first developed by those boys from Britain in "Never Mind the Bullocks, Here's the Sex Pistols". Hmmm....Sex Pistols, Beethoven...Liips, Panic...it's hard to figure which one I like better. Different groups do different things with music and have different approaches to achieve different ends of creative expression. There's comonalities but comparing an improvisational Southern Rock-Funk-Blues-Psychedelic Group like Panic to a just plain Psychedelic-Pop-Rock group like the Lips is like comparing Beethoven to the Sex Pistols. I'm pretty sure Johnny Rotten was aware who Beethoven was and wasn't trying to "one-up" him.

djacoustic Wed 10/15/2008 07:19AM

djacoustic

If you think the Lips are unimpressive I have one word for you: ZURIKA!

cUB_nAsTY starstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 07:25AM

cUB_nAsTY

seriously though, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi, and some of War of the Mystics is good stuff. But live they need some work

RainbowSerpent Wed 10/15/2008 07:36AM

RainbowSerpent

Thank you theivywall, well said! People need to get back to the fact that music is subjective and a matter of taste. Let's stop making negative comments all together on this website. We are losing sight of the main point of our scene. It is embracing diversity and progressive music/art. Quarreling has never been a ideal to strive towards. All it is does is make outsiders believe that we're naive, self-centered and self-righteous.

msudtg Wed 10/15/2008 07:54AM

msudtg

Just a curious question, do the people who think the lips are mediocre know how to play a musical insturment, or more importantly do they know how to write and compose a song? Then they could realize the skill of the lips, the composition of some of their songs is simply amazing, they have done a lot to alter the music scene and I imagine they will continue to do so. Yes there shows are fun and visual spectacular, and I wish sometimes that they would play a show with more music, but I wouldn't say they are mediocre. Phish, they are mediocre, no lyrical talent and usually using basic progressions and nothing too original.

Anitya Wed 10/15/2008 08:17AM

Anitya

Their music might leave something to be desired but the community and positive vibe they create at a show is amazing. I never fell closer to my fellow festival goers then at a Lips show. Besides hot naked chicks are always a good thing, even if it's at every show.

OBPhunkE Wed 10/15/2008 08:22AM

OBPhunkE

Berbe is the new Bluntsnbisco, what a fucking tool! somebody must have put nails in your kix this morning! oh and you you spelled "write" wrong up there which really emphasizes the abysmal state of your intelligence since you can't just typo that shit. That said. I've seen the Flips 3 times never once has it lived up to my expectations musically. The crowds suck. Panic and Tribe blow the lips outta the water when it comes to vibe, atmosphere, music and that all around feeling that you are at THHHE party going on that night! flips studios are ok...i've wanted to put a plastic jesus on my the dashboard of my car for a while

Andy Wed 10/15/2008 09:29AM

Andy

My complaint about the Lips is not that they suck, even though I don't think they are very good, but that they do the exact same set every time. I saw them 3 times this summer through I-clips and each set was exactly the same. Even the jokes between songs were almost exactly the same. To me that is not what a good band is about, I want to hear some improvosation!

granola Wed 10/15/2008 09:29AM

Thats funny, berba1 as the new bluntsnbisco. I think berba might be dumber though.

gmoo Wed 10/15/2008 10:03AM

gmoo

I heard John Bell is going to be there.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 12:22PM

Lord-K.

Seen the lips 3 times or so. Show at red rocks was pretty sweet but little to be desired after that as far as set lists are concerned along with waynes voice live (blah) However I do see floyd/beatles (sgt peppers) comparisons making sense. Listen to Zureka (all 4 discs) the variety of sound and layering that can be heard is amazing, Soft Bulletin and Yoshima are also excellent albums with a spacey floating feel throughout the most part. At war with the mystics is not quite as good but it is still pretty damn good. The lyrics are also there but they happen to be a bit more scientifically/socially/metaphysically driven than a majority of bands which you should respect at least somewhat. Even if their live shows are a crock I still have much respect for their studio stuff. Not every band is going to blow you away live nor is every band going to blow you away with a studio album they find their niche and then go. Respect for all bands keeping it real with their niche and continuing to progress.

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 12:50PM

hating on the lips is like hating on happy

and to bring wsp into it ?????? huh?

i guess some people just prefer a simpler kind of entertainment - which is just fine but don't even try that....

fsu420 star Wed 10/15/2008 01:20PM

a simpler kind of entertainment kizzy? whats more simple-minded than a bunch of elves shooting confetti everywhere during a democratic rally? see the lips once=fine. make the same mistake twice and go see them again=KYS

irtimed starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 01:27PM

irtimed

if the Flaming Lips played on a normal stage like everyone else, nobody would think they're nearly as good.

Bowlegged Texan Wed 10/15/2008 01:39PM

Bowlegged Texan

Wakarusa 05. Lips vs Mule. Mule wins.

Bowlegged Texan Wed 10/15/2008 01:45PM

Bowlegged Texan

Sorry, make that 06. I remember thinking that the lips would be cool if their music could back up their acid carnival.

granola Wed 10/15/2008 02:04PM

kizzy1 you fucking moron. the Lips are as simple as it gets. playing the same songs every night the same exact way and Wayne talking for half the show about some stupid shit in what way is that complex and how the hell is that entertaining.

Gwood starstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 04:06PM

i rarely post comments on jambase, but after reading most of this thread i felt like pointing out how ridiculous the discussion on here sounds. if you don't like the lips or their stage show or their sound and it doesn't get you going, that's fine and understandable. but why be a hater? nobody on earth has ever been FORCED to sit through a lips show or buy an album. or post a comment on jambase for that matter. so, to all the haters on this thread, go ENJOY something you like instead of dragging others tastes down by ragging on something they like. if you have a comment about your dissenting tastes make it constructive, not destructive. music, art, and culture is meant to bring those who consume it together, not divide them. anybody see any parallels to what's going on in our political culture right now?

mrknowitall starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 07:28PM

mrknowitall

It is the official Rock song and not the official state song so that makes this valid

Im for it!

nuke_ticketbastard Thu 10/16/2008 07:24AM

oh okay tribefrk your right i am a fucking moron

i am so glad you pointed that out , i am on my way to trade all my lips albums in for something less moronic - could you please tell me what music is good so i don't make the same mistake again!

thanks again!

mesaxi Thu 10/16/2008 09:11AM

I have a problem with them Lips. I remember digging Yoshimi, and was really excited about seeing them at Roo 07, but when I did I was dismayed to find out their songs were mostly pre-recorded. If you don't play the songs live you're not a band. Sorry.

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/16/2008 11:40AM

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks

Love the Lips, they are great to see once a year or so. but, Man you people act like these bands are your home town sports teams or something. Its not the Yankees vs the Red Sox folks. Grow up.

nickname starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/16/2008 01:19PM

Hahahaha.... I could not help myself from making one last comment on this subject which has been beaten into the ground enough... Perhaps the only shows I have seen that were more boring than the Lips, were STS9. I am sorry, but both of these bands are just glorified and over promoted by their own groups of blind followers who love confetti, megaphones, politcal stump speeches, sing-a-longs, and bad costume designs (The Lips), or mindless, endless, 20 minute jams that loop for like 4 hours, while they hypnotize drugged out or otherwise exhausted crowds with (admittedly) very intense and impressive L.E.D. light shows (STS9). I am sure that some will disagree, challenge my judgement or even intelligence and maybe call me some nasty names. But the funny thing is, they are the same people you will be camping next to at next summer's music festival. Can we not just get along all 12 months of the year, and not just when we reach our temporary utopia? Wrap your mind around that.

berba1 starstar Fri 10/17/2008 06:52AM

Well who the hell do you like nickname so what bands with a good dramtaic concert stage show and it better be Tool or else you are gay!!

berba1 Fri 10/17/2008 06:54AM

so cmon who wants to hate on gay ass widespread panic with me

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks Fri 10/17/2008 07:50AM

MyFavBandIsTheBestYoursSucks

"gay ass" Are you 12 or what? If not your an idiot.

mikemac9317 Fri 10/17/2008 10:50AM

mikemac9317

Everyone talks shit about Flaming Lips on here. Odds are, the people who put up negative comments did'nt even bother to read the article. I think Sound Tribe is lame as shit, but when a newswire feed for them comes up, I don't bother to comment. If you hate this band, why waste your time commenting?

rollamcnut starstarstarstarstar Fri 10/17/2008 03:54PM

rollamcnut

It is pretty damn fun. I was 1 of about 300 that were in the 1st march last year. Wayne is the coolest MoFo that I know. He keeps his shit local but on a very huge scale. If you like the Lips this is worth the time and $.

gregboyer Sat 10/18/2008 05:34AM

Berba1 appears to be obsessed with gayness, which can only mean one thing...

phish_420 Sun 10/19/2008 08:59AM

phish_420

Everyone hates on WSP, they obviously can't see the perspective of a hillbilly drunk on moonshine who doesn't know shit about real music, because if you could, you could see how great they really are! But in all seriousness WSP put on the 4 worst shows I have ever seen, they make me want to puke in my hand and eat it. They really could not be less interesting. They are one of the least hip bands ever. Again maybe hip to a stupid drunken redneck smoking meth.

phish_420 Sun 10/19/2008 09:04AM

phish_420

Sorry for the hate, jam on just won't stop playing WSP. They are the Lynard Skynard for our generation. White power, huh, WSP

Rollin' Rosemary! Mon 10/20/2008 05:13AM

Rollin' Rosemary!

please forgive me i neverr meanntt to hurtt youu.

Recreational Chemist Mon 10/20/2008 02:07PM

Recreational Chemist

never kiss a flaming lip

gavinsthehydro420 starstarstarstar Tue 10/21/2008 08:27AM

gavinsthehydro420

im Sorry but StS9 is not suck if u think they suck then why hate keep them to yourself why to have to broadcast it your so caught up in such a bad life that you want to bring other people Down as a matter of fact i dig Sts9 theyr new shits not as good old shit was way better but its still sts9 the people they are mostly good people and i guess you have not seen Disco Biscuits live What a show better be ready to dance ..WsP has had some bad shows but overall they are damn good band.. flaming lips are ok not kind of music im into but thats what you are into jam it music has diffrent taste like for foods you are not going to like all the same food same as like all the same music so if somethings good and you dont like it you need to keep your mouth shut all these people that wanna talk trash stay at home leave the trash talking at home let the HAPPY GOOD VIBE people come to the shows negative energy should stay at home and whoever was to hate on PHISH epic band light show amazing you need do something else with your life ha all this trash talking over bands wow stop it have a good time listen to music stop hating if u dont like it dont comment Have a GReat Day

Recreational Chemist Wed 10/22/2008 05:24PM