Phil & Friends to Co-Headline NYE with Weir & RatDog

Phil Lesh & Friends to Co-Headline NYE Shows with Bob Weir & RatDog
Jackie Greene Band To Open Both Shows at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco

Phil Lesh
On December 30 and 31 (New Year's Eve) Phil Lesh & Friends and Bob Weir and RatDog will celebrate the turning of the year with a co-bill at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, with the Jackie Greene Band opening both nights.

Which band will open which night will be determined by a coin toss.

Pre-sales: GDTS Too and Musictoday will start accepting postmarks for GDTS Too and be initialized for internet sales via Musictoday starting on Thursday, October 16. Musictoday to start at Noon EST as normal. Pre-sales for GDTS and Musictoday shall conclude on Friday, October 31 at 6:00 p.m. EST.

Public OnSale is confirmed for Sunday, November 2 at 10:00 a.m. PST.

Check out our recent coverage of Phil & Friends Sweetwater Sessions here.

[Published on: 10/14/08]

Comments

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:07AM

RothburyWithCheese

Telling you guys: Dead Tour 2009!!! 2009 is gonna be one hell of a year....

Jimmy P starstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:11AM

Jimmy P

yea, 09 will be good for touring musically acts maybe...the rest of the world will be slowly but surely crumbling

MostlyDead starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:11AM

MostlyDead

sick. what i've been waiting for.

biged starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:13AM

biged

^^^^

I agree.....A Dead reunion and Phish end of Hiatus....Hell maybe even a Led Zepplin reunion.....

I will have to pass on all of that mess for the upcoming Celine Dion tour that is about to start up. That bitch made me buy my tickets 2 years ago for all of her show that start in January.

damn you celine dion

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:21AM

HoodooVoodoo

I knew it... I called this a while ago. Too bad they couldn't wait until Saturday so I know if I am going to Phish before I shell out the $$$.

t8keme2phunkytown Tue 10/14/2008 09:23AM
moephishH2O starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:28AM

moephishH2O

Good lord there's a lot going on in San Fran for NYE! This show plus George Clinton w/ Greyboy Allstars, Les Claypool and Zappa Plays Zappa, ALO, Tea Leaf Green, The Radiators....

phisherman81 Tue 10/14/2008 09:36AM

Yawn...

...I think instead of seeing these rehashed acts this summer I am going to load my iPod up with 68-71 Dead and 95-99 Phish and walk around Europe. Something tells me this will be a better way to spend money and time

briank67 starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 09:41AM

briank67

phisherman81 that's not a bad idea....

but this looks really really cool, and i applaud them for keeping the ticket prices relatively low and bullshit fee-free.

phisherman81 Tue 10/14/2008 09:54AM

Ticket prices are low if you get them at face...if a ticket is $50 face then double that when these idiots decide to play sheds or 18,000 people venues or stage a comeback show for 13800 (ahem)...

Deflating value of US Dollar > scalped Phish tickets

the101 Tue 10/14/2008 09:57AM

The Dead will be touring in 2009...and look for all or portions of the tour to be with the Allmans. Trust me...it's a done deal. I was talking with the guy that handles their amps over this past weekend while dropping our daughters off for a girl scouts activity. Seriously. He had just spoken with Bobby a few days ago gearing them up for the Obama gig. Dead & Allmans summer '09!

theragman starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:02AM

damn, that's gonna be sick. Wish i was still out west.

GB3K-Poops starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:24AM

GB3K-Poops

I live in Chi-town...last year my new years consisted of me going to see Umph at the Aaragon. it was an amazing show!! and i told myself i would definetly be back next year....now i dont know anymore, i might have to make the trip to San Fran! Either way I will see you all in all of the midwest stops that THE DEAD make on their 09 spring tour!!!!

GB3K-Poops Tue 10/14/2008 10:28AM

GB3K-Poops

I also don't know what to go to....this saturday mickey hart global drum project is playing in chicago, but so is yonder. I've seen Yonder once and it blew my mind and i've seen Mickey hart band but not his global drum project.....anyone got any advice on what show i should go?

trini. starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:42AM

trini.

SF has crazy NYE choces this year. My goodness. Ohhhh. What to do? What to do?

overall Tue 10/14/2008 10:45AM

overall

The Dead already have a commitment for 15 dates in the spring with a chance at adding more. I hadn't heard anything about the ABB joining in, but it would make sense as one of their guitarists has already been asked (and has agreed) to play lead for the Dead tour. Bobby only wants two guitars, so there's no use in speculating about Herring, Campbell, Greene or anyone else being invited to tour. No word on keys. Still waiting to hear who they grab for that.

sleewell Tue 10/14/2008 10:49AM
the101 Tue 10/14/2008 10:58AM

It is interesting...hearing other's points-of-view. Seeing some negative Bobby comments on here today regarding past "Dead" and the upcoming spring and/or summer tours. I've had a completely different experience...Bobby and Ratdog have literally thrilled me and left me wanting more walking out of their shows these past 5-10 years and the Phil shows that I've seen...although good/great at times...mostly haven't excited me like Bobby & Ratdog consistently has. In fairness I've seen probably 20 RD shows and maybe 6 or 7 Phil & Friends. I'm not complaining about either one of these guys or picking favs...I simply love the Grateful Dead and adore that these guys are still shining that love light on us with their live music...I just can't agree with the Bobby bashing. My $.02 for today...and probably for the year as I'm not much for contributing to the comment threads. Mostly wanted to share the tour news (above) that I was involved in over this past weekend. Peace.

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire star Tue 10/14/2008 11:12AM

BlowsAgainsttheEmpire

If theyre intelligent theyll bring some new tunes to the gig, figure a way to steal Baracco from DSO, and rehearse A LOT because musically they all need it. while i dont think he is the best keyboardist(id take chimenti, mookie, hornsby, or others first) hes certainly not bad at all. the fact that he brings extra vocal help which they will sorely need is why i would pick him. after 15 gigs it will fall apart.

r0llingst0ned starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 11:45AM

r0llingst0ned

You know, the last few times I have seen Ratdog I have been somewhat disappointed. But to hear people saying that Bobby should stay home for Dead tour is completely disrespectful of the band, regardless of his performance in recent years. Jesus, they've been around since the mid 60s, cut the guy some slack. With all of them together, it should be a good tour!!

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 11:46AM

Conjugal Burning

damn there are a lot of naysayers. A climax for myself would be a Dead tour with Medeski on keys and Kimock on lead axe. im a dreamer

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 12:19PM

goddamn after reading the review of those phil shows this looks like the place to be for new years.... phil it up !

breckenridgejam starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 12:30PM

breckenridgejam

Phil should choose Heads and hopefully they don't have any NFL officals calling the toss!

schofizzl Tue 10/14/2008 01:27PM

schofizzl

breckenridge eh? that near sawatch?

weenhead420 starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 02:33PM

weenhead420

Good to see Phil and Bobby teaming up again, especially for such a huge occasion.

kingphish Tue 10/14/2008 03:48PM

kingphish

I am sure Jerry must be saddened to see so many Heads split over Bobby & Phil. I have seen both Phil & Friends (10-4-08) & Ratdog (4-11-08) this year and both have been great shows. In all fairness I think the Ratdog show was better, but as someone else pointed out on here...these guys are much older now than when I attended Grateful Dead shows from 89-94. I am just grateful that these guys are STILL touring and NOT kickin' back in a rockin' chair somewhere spinning tales of yesterday.

I am just hoping that they play a 3-27-2009 show somewhere....I will be there! 20 years to the day of my 1st Grateful Dead show and I've never got off 'the bus'!!

..."nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!"

OaksterDan Tue 10/14/2008 04:24PM

OaksterDan

If your city has lame shows on NYE then get your ass to San Francisco. ALO, Tea Leaf Green, Ratdog/Phil & Friends all playing two night runs plus Les Claypool & George Clinton. 12 Galaxies (closed) after hours party would have been nice like after Outside Lands. As sir David Brogan once said "I'm down for whatever"

Detroit Funk starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 05:23PM

Detroit Funk

I kind of understand the split between bobby and phil fans. I've seen bobby twice in the last year and phil 5 times. Both bobby shows were awesome, and 3 out of 5 phil shows were awesome from start to finish, but 2 shows had some glitches and some questionable song selections. I saw you just have to know what you're getting into when you go to see one or the other. Phil is more progressive lately. He is playing with some young musicians and is more experimental, as he always has been if you've read his book. Bobby shows are more traditional and rockin and straight forward. But I've seen him just bring the heat both times I saw him. I personally can't wait for dead tour and to see them play together, and it's gonna get started in Dec with this run, hopefully I'll be able to afford it after the Philathon.

granola Tue 10/14/2008 05:44PM

im glad to see that theyre getting along

brooklynite84 Tue 10/14/2008 06:50PM

I'm excited for this tour...i've been waiting 4yrs and granted during this wait, i've seen so many shows that i probably wouldn't be seeing if it wasn't for a hiatus, but i'm ready for it. I don't care to complain about who's better between Bobby and Phil, they're both great in different ways, I always tell people to just have fun and stop bitchin. I'm glad to know though that Jackie Greene isn't in this line-up, i'm sorry, but we need someone who at least can bring the thunder on guitar and Haynes is the man. 08 has been my year of concerts and i can't even imagine what 09 will bring, DEAD and PHISH, shit maybe they should just do one show together for a gathering of the tribes:) But Dead and Allmans, damn, this will be yet another wonderful year of music!

phish_420 Tue 10/14/2008 07:12PM

phish_420

I would have to say Medeski on keys, and scofield on guitar. Sco and phil is HOT!!!

Deadphishbiscuits Tue 10/14/2008 08:37PM

Deadphishbiscuits

cant really go wrong with this for new years. '09 is already lookin splendid especially with what andn who are ringing in the new year. enjoy this folks out west should be a great couplel of nights. a early Happy New year everyone and a good show to one and all enjoy

traffic starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 10:10PM

traffic

This is great news. Bobby's the man, Phil's lineup is as good as it's been in years and all you people bashing Bobby just stay home. Don't complain, just don't go...don't want you anyway. Bobby will strike you down with lightning bolts. Congrats boys... makin' me think twice about buying those 3 day Umphrey's tixs and flying to Chi-town, 'cause I already live out west. Good stuff happening everywhere. Have to catch Phil, Bob, and whomever they chose to accompany them. Chimenti keys, Mickey, Billy, Bobby, Phil, and Karan.... Herring...Greene... we'll see, just lay off Bobby.

androckguitar starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/14/2008 11:18PM

androckguitar

Sweet. I'll be there NYE... but I don't understand why they don't combine the two bands and have The Dead. Phil and Friends are hella tight, and Rat Dog always disappoints me ...

SF has SOO many good show NYE now. I'll Probably go see Tea Leaf Green play the day before NYE

Ashefly starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 05:43AM

Phisherman I live in Europe and I would travel Back to the states just to see Phish and Or the Dead, I unfortunately live in Italy! anyways im excited for both bands

Mutilated Trips Wed 10/15/2008 06:33AM

Mutilated Trips

there are two choices for new years.... STS9 east coast and George Clinton w/ GbA west coast.

RainbowSerpent Wed 10/15/2008 07:46AM

RainbowSerpent

It does not make sense that people who claim to be such die-hard Grateful Dead fans, could hate on any members of the original band. This NYE show and hopefully Dead Tour '09 is a reason to celebrate. Way too much competition on this website, not enough true community.

canoftunapudding Wed 10/15/2008 08:18AM

At least the Allmans are bringing some fresh music, Derek and Warren bring alot more to the table than either of the Dead spinoffs.

2Heavy starstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 09:48AM

2Heavy

This is great to see, and I find it funny reading the Bobby vs Phil debate. You can't be hating on either of the two founding members of one the greatest groups of all time. I will say that Bobby did lose some credibility several years ago promoting and playing with Hanson, not to mention yanking all the SBD shows off archive. I am not sure if that was all his doings or not, but I know Phil disagreed with that decision. With that aside it is great to see them collaborating once again.

Rollin' Rosemary! Wed 10/15/2008 10:43AM

Rollin' Rosemary!

Phil is the fucking man. Can't wait for this shit.

nuke_ticketbastard starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/15/2008 12:43PM

you bastards !

yeah way to much trash talk on this site sometimes !

yeah traffic bobby WILL strike down the non believers with lightning bolts!

it is great that these guys are sharing a bill and soon to be sharing the same stage again....

canoftuna - really ? granted warren is bad ass , derrick nnot so much , but the last two times i saw the allmans i had to prop myself up from almost falling asleep , they just didn't make it happen... of course both those shows where opened by ratdog and they left me just wanting to hear more , imo allmans should have opened for them....

Kaleidoscope Eyes Thu 10/16/2008 05:29AM

Maybe Bobby will take a shower, sober up and get rid of that fuckin' ratty ass I wanna be Jerry Beard.

Cause he is not Jerry, he should get back into biking and being the somewhat healthy guy he was in the 80's and before instead of emulating the look and habits of THE LATE GREAT GARCIA. He died young for a reason, unfortunately.

willydog Thu 10/16/2008 10:23AM

willydog

I got my tickets....let the haters hate. All I know is that midnight on NYE will be face melting. Garcia is gone. That is how it is. If you are not down with a good old fashioned sing along, seeing old friends, listening to good music, (stop comparing it to Jerry Dead)and loosing your shoes and getting in the groove then stay the hell away.

No time to hate

oysteria starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/16/2008 11:42AM

oysteria

kizzy your crazy derek is the smoothest nigger with a six string. Watch him play the guitar.

Matis starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/16/2008 02:20PM

Matis

I've been waiting since 1/1/06 for the return of Phil NYE in the Bay!! mail order love! see you there!

Kaleidoscope Eyes Thu 10/16/2008 03:46PM

Breckenridge is near The Sawatch just on the other side of the peaks

yankeesoutherner starstarstarstar Sat 10/18/2008 09:51PM

Would Larry Campbell play with Phil Lesh and friends or Levon Helm in NY for NYE?

Dire46daysWolf Mon 10/20/2008 08:35AM

Dire46daysWolf

the dead touring together again would be a dream come true. what if they hit the road with Phish? can you imagine the crowds? I'm a big fan of both Ratdog and Phil and friends. great acts that are a must see live.

Elemley Fri 10/24/2008 01:06PM

be real, bobby should open both.

Related Goods