Spearhead: All Rebel Rockers

NEW ALBUM FROM MICHAEL FRANTI AND CREW
ARRIVES SEPTEMBER 9

Spearhead
One of the most moving and politically charged writers today, Spearhead and his band Spearhead return with their eagerly awaited new album, All Rebel Rockers, on September 9 via Anti-Records. Recorded in SF, LA but mostly Kingston, Jamaica, with reggae's most prolific production team, Sly & Robbie, this new release deviates from Franti’s previous sound and comprises a hybrid dub-infused soul flavor with some hard-hitting dub rock production. Alongside Dave Shul (guitars), Manas Itene (drums), Carl Young (bass) and Raleigh Neal (keyboards), the album also features Zap Mama founder Marie Daulne and Jamaican soul/dancehall star Cherine Anderson.

The band will be in announcing festival and UK tour dates in August. Franti and the band are currently back in Jamaica shooting videos for the upcoming album.

All Rebel Rockers track listing

1. Rude Boys Back in Town
2. A Little Bit of Riddim (feat. Cherine Anderson)
3. Life in the City
4. Remote Control
5. All I Want is You
6. Say Hey (I Love You)
7. I Got Love For You
8. Sound System (feat. Cherine Anderson)
9. Hey World
10. The Future
11. High Low (Feat. Zap Mama)
12. Nobody Right Nobody Wrong
13. Have a Little Faith

[Published on: 5/18/08]

Comments

Marcsmall Sun 5/18/2008 12:52PM
happydestiny Sun 5/18/2008 01:13PM

happydestiny

Damn marc, did somebody wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

salsalasa Sun 5/18/2008 02:01PM

Awsome..Spearhead is such a real vibration...Can't Wait!

Mark Price former NBA star Sun 5/18/2008 02:52PM

Mark Price former NBA star

Spearhead's the shit.

nickMACd starstarstar Sun 5/18/2008 03:05PM

nickMACd

his live show gimmicks bother me - always the same set + lame covers of what I got and sesame street, and I'm not to keen on being told to jump up and down... but he always seems to make each CD a little better than the next. If this one is all reggae and groove, i must admit i'm kinda stoked to hear it... plus I don't know of any other musician around today that has had the balls to traverse a war zone and try to help people in america really understand whats going on - his movie explained the big picture of the conflict in the middle east better than its ever been explained to me by the news or anyone else so far. keep getting better Michael and please don't play your cheesy shit at all good.

FreshFlavor starstarstarstarstar Sun 5/18/2008 03:21PM

FreshFlavor

Yeah I agree his shows need a bit of an overhaul...but his message is powerful and for first time listeners his shows are a blast. No one can deny Spearhead is a savage beast on the base guitar as well. Curious to see how this album turns out...hopefully more slanted toward reggae/dub, which is what he does best. He absolutely has to change up his set at All Good this year...people that go to that fest always return, so if he's gonna play the same old stuff than his reception definitely won't be as warm as last year. That lighter scene when he played Nobody Right, Nobody Wrong last year was absolutely unreal though. Keep it positive, keep it new, and then keep it coming Franti.

CSchneids929 starstarstarstarstar Sun 5/18/2008 06:03PM

give me that heavy dub sound spearhead. sounds like this album is gonna rock

Suave Sun 5/18/2008 07:55PM

Suave

We are all praying for you Michael... you can get through this! (((((GOOD VIBRATIONS)))))

1048 star Sun 5/18/2008 09:01PM

1048

^^^ What?

MarkZee Sun 5/18/2008 09:12PM

I'm excited to hear this album. I fully agree with some of you that said his show is the same thing every time. I've been to All Good the past 4 years and I'm pretty sure I've seen the exact same show every time he has been there. Pretty much Mike, I know you'd like to see everyone jumping, I'm a little tired from jumping through your first four songs, and god dammit I know you can hear us without asking to do so. I hope this album is pure reggae and digresses from his disgust with W. He'll be gone in a few months, then what is he going to talk about? I guess we shall wait and see.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Sun 5/18/2008 09:13PM

HoodooVoodoo

Call me crazy, but it seems like Michael Franti is just trying to be Bob Marley. And I also hate being told to "put your hands in the air." Although Franti has good intentions, he is just way to much of a tryhard/

Grateful Dread Sun 5/18/2008 10:38PM

Grateful Dread

Michael Franti is "trying to be Bob Marley"? Although I don't agree with that statement, I do think that this world might be a slightly better place if more musicians acted like or tried to be Bob Marley. I'd support that.

OrganicRhythm Mon 5/19/2008 12:39AM

Yeah, if only all musicians raped their faithful wives like Bob Marley did when Rita got fed up with his extramarital affairs and refused to sleep with him, then this world would be a better place indeed...

FreshFlavor Mon 5/19/2008 05:53AM

FreshFlavor

^^^ What the hell you talkin bout Willis?

breckenridgejam Mon 5/19/2008 07:40AM

breckenridgejam

How yall feeling? - Like a broken record!

Randolphish Mon 5/19/2008 02:26PM

Not sure why some many people are hating on Michael Franti? I have seen hundreds of live shows and without a doubt he always puts on a great performance. Just saw him at Sunfest in West Palm Beach, and it was great. It was not the "same set" and he did 5 or 6 of the new songs from All Rebel Rockers. So what if he says how you feelin every show...His lyrics and music are uplifting and after every show he jumps in the crowd to meet the fans. What other artist do that? Franti is amazing artist and I will purchase his new CD first day out. His first three studio cds with Spearhead are solid, and after hearing most of the new songs on All Rebel Rockers this CD should be right up there with his other work!

PooDolla Mon 5/19/2008 03:25PM
cuttyfives Mon 5/19/2008 04:55PM

organicrythm...to borrow a quote Bunz (DMX in Belly) "Bitch is lying!)

RedHeaven starstarstarstarstar Mon 5/19/2008 07:06PM

RedHeaven

Spearhead has never put out a bad album! I cant wait to hear this. Any live music fan knows you dont go on Spearhead tour and expect different sets every night. And thats OK. Indie rock bands do that too....oh wait! Indie rock is cool now, so thats OK if they play the same set every night! Its soo cool to hate on Franti in this on line "jam band" circle. Get over it. Go take a shower when theyre on stage at a festival or something.

Im a huge fan but I only see Spearhead once a year or so.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Tue 5/20/2008 05:26AM

I saw him once at allgood 2004 and I loved it. I can agree with jump up and down being stupid, and hands in the air being old, it takes talent to work a crowd in a different way every time you play, and not everyone can do that well. (sharon jones is an expert at working crowds like a pro)

I like his music, just shut up and quit preaching and begging people to jump and crap like that. His last album was really good, and Yell Fire is a fantastic song, totally awesome really. I am looking forward to this release, its almost better to listen to the album with out the prompting to jump and wave your hands in the air, than it is to see a show and be annoyed.

philipnavarre starstarstar Tue 5/27/2008 02:54PM

philipnavarre

New songs were awesome in Eugene.

Little Bit of Riddim, All I want is you, Hey World, Rude Boys Back in Town, Remote Control, and Say Hey (I Love You) were all played.

funkytool Fri 5/30/2008 10:59AM

funkytool

His Jazzfest set was a completely new set people. Stop drinking the haterade.

guyutepa Sat 5/31/2008 06:18PM

Haterade, lol, thats good. Just watched his set at Mtn Jam on Iclips and he played new songs and they were excellent. Going to see him back to back nights in end of June(opening for DMB in MA, then in RI) and I'm totally stoked, he's my summer vacation!!

DougieFresh1 Sat 5/31/2008 06:51PM

This is not about hating. I've never seen Franti before and I know nothing about him, but I'm watching Mountain Jam right now, and the guy cannot carry a tune. It's painful listening to him. He needs to take singing lessons. My first first impression of him is that he is trying to create some kind of a Bob Marley persona so that he can be recognized as someone who is bringing people together. Marley was authentic and wasn't trying to do anything or be anyone. He was just being himself. That is what made him so great.

Norway Sun 6/8/2008 02:33AM

Why are some of you wasting your time looking up bands you don't like? I'm jealous you get to see Spearhead so often that you can get tired of them! Wish I had that problem. Why not just walk to the next stage and watch someone else?

jcmcilwaine Tue 7/15/2008 11:11AM

jcmcilwaine

Why do people read posts just to post negative comments? We need less of that shit, not more. If you agree with Franti's politics, then I feel you should support him in whatever fashion he's trying to make a change. You don't have to go to the shows if you're tired of them, or even buy the album. But give the man some room to breathe. He's out there everyday busting his ass and giving his all to walk his talk. More of us, myself included, need to learn from that example. None of us are perfect, and he's no exception, but he's doing what he can. I await every new Spearhead album with anticipation, and go to every show I can, because the band's music and the shows open my heart up and make me feel human. At the end of the day that's good enough for me.

jcmcilwaine Tue 7/15/2008 11:12AM

jcmcilwaine

And the whole Bob Marley strain is ridiculous...

blazeabago24 Fri 7/25/2008 02:04PM

hahah i love you mike and the spearhead fam. I've only seen spearhead twice, once at bonnaroo and once at rothbury, both sets we're so much fun, dancing and jumping and going nuts. It's whack that everyone on here is comparing mike to bob marley, c'mon man Mike is out there doing his thing and making important social issues heard. We need more musicians and actors and athletes to encourage voting and political participation amongst are snoozing zombie generation. Keep it up MIKE, come back to MIchigan asap.

blazeabago24 Fri 7/25/2008 02:05PM

also, i like jumping up and down. are y'all too out of shape or something? i dunno.

Spacecadetina starstarstarstarstar Tue 9/2/2008 04:03PM

I think Franti kicks ass...Jumping up waving your hands and "HOw yooou feeeeelin!!!" WILL NEVER GET OLD. Sesame street and Sublime Medley's? BRILLIANT!!! WOOOT WOOT!!!!