The Mars Volta Add Dates

THE MARS VOLTA ADD DATES TO 2008 WORLD TOUR

"Perhaps the most musically adventurous act currently signed to a major label" -THE NEW YORKER

The Mars Volta
The Mars Volta, who kicked off their spring 2008 headline tour last week in Florida, have confirmed that they will be bringing their "thrilling Zeppelin-esque mojo" (INTERVIEW) to additional cities from Denver to the Pacific Rim.

Hailed by TIME OUT NEW YORK as "a fantastically talented band capable of stunning feats of psych-pop grandeur," The Mars Volta was formed in 2001 by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler-Zavala. The band has released four albums to date: The gold-certified De-Loused In The Comatorium (2003) and Frances The Mute (2005), Amputechture (2006) and the just-released The Bedlam In Goliath, which entered the U.S. album chart at a career high of #3.

The new album and tour have been generating the most enthusiastic reviews of the band's career, with THE NEW YORK TIMES describing a recent New York City performance as "a mixture of rigorous virtuosity, psychedelic euphoria and punk intensity" and praising them as "rock's finest avatar of excess."

The Mars Volta Tour Dates:

07/12/08 Sat Les Ardentes Liege, BEL
07/19/08 Sat Latitude Festival Suffolk, UK
07/23/08 Wed Arena Vienna, AUS
07/25/08 Fri Stodola Warsaw, PL
08/02/08 Sat Paredes de Coura Festival Lisbon, POR

[Published on: 4/8/08]

Comments

Govindaze starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 10:18AM

These guys blow my dome off every time! Such incredible energy! They seem to defy all traditional ideas of rhythm structure. Love it!

KCReb Tue 4/8/2008 10:22AM

KCReb

Good lord - I am counting down the hours until this Thrusday!!

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 10:36AM

RothburyWithCheese

Screw all the naysyares----these guys and everything they've ever done is GENIUS!!!

BRabbit Tue 4/8/2008 10:37AM

BRabbit

i need some help. i love music and i think i have a good taste in music but i cant get into these guys. is there a live video i should watch? are they better than 2 years ago and three years ago? because maybe i was out of my element but they were just loud nosies to me. not trying to start negative comments. maybe ill go to cleveland to see them again.

uhoh Tue 4/8/2008 11:04AM
mhalper Tue 4/8/2008 11:15AM

mhalper

bnaylor - TMV has probably required the most careful dissection of what I really think of as 'music' per se, and forced me to reconsider what I find auditorily mindblowing or aversive. But that is part of the beauty, as the uphill struggle makes me appreciate them much more. If you have not listened to Frances the Mute, I think it is one of the most elegant pieces of music every put on plastic (as well as vinyl just to lay a little sugar). In terms of contextual framework, it might help to listen to John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra (Inner mountain flame or Birds of Fire) and pretty much any Hendrix and Led Zeppelin and perhaps some Frusciante (Chili Peppers much more so than solo), because Omar Rodriguez is, in my opinion, a new incarnation of style stemming alot from these influences as well as the free studio jams of Miles Davis (with Mclaughlin). If you can appreciate these, I would say that TMV will certainly begin to fulfill your wildest dreams.

moejoerisin Tue 4/8/2008 11:27AM

moejoerisin

well put, halper.. just to add: they have an unbelievable drummer. also, i can't believe you dig these guys lib'ruhls2008, that just baffles me.

funkedup Tue 4/8/2008 11:33AM

funkedup

its been rumored they are going to play Rothbury...any1 else hear this?

MusicPhiend Tue 4/8/2008 11:47AM

MusicPhiend

Looks like no Rothbury as they will be in the UK and the Australia. Bummer

MusicPhiend Tue 4/8/2008 11:48AM

MusicPhiend

Take that back, was looking at the dates for Mile High Festival. I guess TMV could come back to the states for Rothbury after New Zealand and before Belgium. Looks like they have enough time off in there.

daveapaug Tue 4/8/2008 11:49AM

daveapaug

Wow, I didnt think LiberalsforMikeSavage actually liked any music.... Baffling to be sure.

deftone984 Tue 4/8/2008 11:54AM

deftone984

just saw them in myrtle on friday. fantastic show. pretty much the same setlist i saw up in vermont in january, but different improv stuff and amazing onstage chemistry. bnaylor, i couldnt get into them at first either. in fact, i hated them. one of my good friends (whose musical opinions i respect highly) told me that i had to work at it. he bought me deloused at the comatorium and told me to listen to it until i got it. eventually i did. now i think that its one of the most brilliant cohesive pieces of art i have ever heard. thats where i would start if i were you, although frances might be a good place too. .02

seanc719 Tue 4/8/2008 12:01PM

does anyone need tickets to the 4.18 show in columbus? i can't make it and i have 2 tickets i need to get rid of

RothburyWithCheese starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 12:03PM

RothburyWithCheese

What are you guys talking about? I have praised these guys on every article. They're one of the great groups of the last 35 years.

BRabbit Tue 4/8/2008 12:04PM

BRabbit

thank you halper thank you. Deftone i am the same way you were. I saw these guys late night bonnaroo and i saw them open for chilli peppers, both shows were starnge and couldnt figure out what the hell was going on. but i will check out each suggestion thanks for everything pepps.

kandrokitis Tue 4/8/2008 12:06PM

kandrokitis

Wow, they're good Savage. but i wouldnt go that far.

HoodooVoodoo starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 12:09PM
Cosmicsailor Tue 4/8/2008 12:33PM

Cosmicsailor

Savage, I believe they are referring to the smack you have been talking lately on the other articles.

That is all.

Oh, almost forgot, TMV is incredible.

desert_drifter Tue 4/8/2008 12:46PM

desert_drifter

check out omar rodriguez-lopez quintet. their latest - apocalypse inside an orange - is great. it is loud, sometimes chaotic, jaming that seems to always come back full circle. i have not actually heard mars volta and i picked up the omar album on a whim as the staff pick description at ameoba music sounded like something i would like. i'm inspired to pick up some mars volta and omar's other solo stuff...

-d

KCReb Tue 4/8/2008 12:56PM

KCReb

I have one of Omar's earlier solo records and that shit is insane. If you think the Volta takes you on a head-spinning journey, wait until you get a taste of it. It's longer, crazier instrumental jams with not as much structure. Good stuff to get lost in.

Detroit Funk starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 01:15PM

Detroit Funk

word, a manual dexterity is awesome. I love volta.

gratefuled starstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 02:16PM

gratefuled

Cool

Ryan Tue 4/8/2008 02:25PM

Ryan

Yo seanc719...I'll take those tix off your hands. Been dyin' to see these guys since they opened for SOAD. No hate on System, I just think that lineup should have been reversed.

21mmer Tue 4/8/2008 02:38PM

21mmer

naylor, i'm with you. i've tried to figure these guys out, or figure out why i can't get into them, and so far i don't really have any answers. i moved out of musical-puberty long ago and regularly worship at the altars of mclaughlin and davis, as well as all the other free-jazz and fusion heavyweights (return to forever, weather report, shorter, ponty, etc.). that being said, i don't really see the comparison with tmv. it seems to me that while miles and john would write open-ended compositions and explore different themes within the context of a "song", there was still direction to the music and ultimately all of the different elements were unified. when i hear tmv i don't get that sense. it does come off as sounding very noisy and frantic to my ears. i suppose that if i were to draw a comparison, it would be to surrender to the air, which, while amusing in a novelty sense, is fairly unlistenable on a regular basis.

one man's opinion.

QuantumTubaMan starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 02:50PM

QuantumTubaMan

For those who are trying to "get it", here is a video to start with.

Can't wait to see them at the Roy Wilkins!

nealbook Tue 4/8/2008 04:03PM

First, I like TMV on cd and dig the textures and layers of their music, but that brings me to a question for all of you. I have seen them once, indoors, and they played so loud I could not make out most of what they played, let alone those textures and layers. It was near impossible to hear the vocals and when they had instruments suchs a sax being played, you could not hear it at all. TMV was opening for the Chili Peppers, which had great sound. Do they always play this way or did I just have a bad experience? I was so psyched to see them and really disappointed.

ReaganSector9 Tue 4/8/2008 04:23PM

ReaganSector9

Frances the Mute is where its at! Wish they still had Jon Theodore. Haven't seen they're new drummer. I'll be get my dome split at the Pageant.

SmashySmashy Tue 4/8/2008 04:24PM

SmashySmashy

Ya their music is really complex and really loud so they tend to sound awful in unaccommodating venues. I saw them at an outside venue and at a medium size club show... the outside venue was much better without all of those walls to bounce noise off of. It sucks because a lot of people get turned off by them if they happen to catch them at a shitty venue. Well hopefully that helps anyone unsure about seeing them... and goddamnit I can't wait for them to come by the boston area. Bank of America pavillion would be incredible

QuantumTubaMan starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 04:32PM

QuantumTubaMan

Has anyone seen TMV at the Roy Wilkins before. What could I expect on acoustics?

The Grand Wazoo Tue 4/8/2008 04:41PM

The Grand Wazoo

All the talk of acoustics makes me wish they were playing somewhere else in Chicago other then, to put it a nice way, "cavernous" Aragon Ballroom....

ChrisChuck1 starstarstar Tue 4/8/2008 05:18PM

never disapointed with these guys, except that they haven't come to vegas except to play vegoose, and that they bought a pipe at my smoke shop while i was not working. anyone new to them should check out all of the above mentioned material, and also check out omar's other album Se Dice Bisonte, No B├╣falo.

deftone984 Tue 4/8/2008 05:56PM

deftone984

dude, that bonnaroo 05 show was weird. dont take that as your solo volta experience. i love the mars volta and i had to leave to go see sound tribe bc that shit was driving me crazy.

dmbfan21 Tue 4/8/2008 07:19PM

When are they ever going to come to virginia or anywhere near me????

mhalper Tue 4/8/2008 09:48PM

mhalper

21mmer - assuming you were responding to my comparison of Omar to John, I should specify that this is displayed moreso in Omar's self-tilted solo album rather than TMV, which was also mentioned somewhere else in the thread. The first time I heard it, I thought "Go Ahead John," and I guess the comparison just stuck. However, I also felt this type of sound is emanated, especially with sax, in much of the Cassandra Gemini movement off Frances the mute. Then again, all such associations could purely stem out of my need to believe in the next McLaughlin-esque prodigy and willingness to let Omar fit the bill. In addition to purely his 'sound,' I am overwhelmingly impressed with his compositional skills and orchestration of large fucking number of people and corresponding parts.

Additionally, my first (and only time) seeing TMV was this past tour in a small theater in Ann Arbor, where on the whole, the sound was fantastic, except, Marcel's horn was pretty much drowned out, although I was on the other side of the venue from him. Also not to be overlooked is the fact that several tapers' recordings that I have heard from the TMV, Cedric often sounds as if he is singing from inside a bucket, placed over the top of his head (so he could still dance wildly, whip his mic, and throw other odd and sundry items at members of the crowd).

Grand Wazoo - I was like, please, please, play the Chicago Theater, anywhere but the goddam Aragon again. It is the worst. But c'est la vie. Moments like this often remind that beggars cannot be choosers.

Gary starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 07:21AM

Gary

I really wish more bands would make the trek just three hours away from Chicago to Indianapolis. We could really use the help in getting the scene to grow!

Gary

Conjugal Burning starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/9/2008 07:49AM

Conjugal Burning

TMV= Most epic band touring today, hands down. oh, and to mhalper- Marcel plays percussion and a little keys from now and then, Adrian is the mad man on the woodwinds. And to all who saw Volta open for the chilipeppers, they were in between drummers, hence the loudness. And for the record, Thomas Pridgen shreds like no other human; a perfect match for the Volta

msd413886669 Wed 4/9/2008 08:48AM

msd413886669

This has been one of the best group of responses I have read on jambase. I love TMV. They are by far the best new group. 4 albums in 6/7 years, is just mind blowing. Every album they have released has been phenomenal. While most think Frances is their master piece, and it may be. I have to say that De-Loused was a great start and it was very awesome to have Meccaputecture, take off into new directions. As for Bedlam, I had a very hard time for the first listen. I was really missing Jon theodore and thomas Pridgen was very notey at first experience. Jon had a way of giving TMV songs birth into a very new sense of jam life. He could take the music and just start to paint with the different sounds. This is very evident on Frances. But I have fallen in love with Bedlam and have to say that Thomas Pridgen definitely fits the group very well. they are very abrasive in their sound and Pridgen adds the much needed energy stamina that was reserved by Jon theodore. I love Jon, and will miss him dearly. Something died when he left the group, but Thomas Pridgen is letting the haunting swirls rein fiercely and I am enjoying it immensely. We'll just have to wait and see how the next album ( supposed to be their slowest and dubbed their acoustic record) turns out. this will definitely allow me to have a better understanding of what Thomas Pridgen is capable of. But knowing Omar, I wont have to wait more than a year or 18 months tops. Gotta love this band. they are raping the industry and it's amazing because you never know where they will go next. Very exciting. I thank Omar very much. He is a true gem in an industry run by greed, and he definitely gives back to the audience more than any producer I have ever met. If you can't get into Volta, then don't. I don't need this group getting too trendy. They have already picked up more fans then I thought they would. But I guess you can't deny greatness. And this band has plenty of it.

Conjugal Burning Wed 4/9/2008 02:59PM

Conjugal Burning

msd413886669- I agree with pretty much all your comments (except callin "Amputechture" Meccamputechture, but that song is ill). I too went through a little post-Theo depression, for he had a cetain level of dynamics during the jams that T.P. is a little too choppy to fully accomplish, but the man is a prodigy. "Thomas Pridgen is letting the haunting swirls rein fiercely and I am enjoying it immensely"- haha, me too bro!

MatthewAtienza Wed 4/9/2008 09:44PM

MatthewAtienza

pridgen is perect, what an amazing band.

I think they are way ahead of the general populations taste and will turn into almost a pink floyd thing in the sense that PF was not as popular of a band as they are today. I predict the same thing is going to happen to the mars volta.

msd413886669 Thu 4/10/2008 08:08AM

msd413886669

I call it Mecca because its a journey and I like how it sounds. but you're right the name of the record is Amputechture. Glad you liked the quote. I spit a good one every now and then. But I'm not sure about MattAtienza's statement because I really don't see Omar and Cedric not working together, as long as they are both alive. And if you mean their popularity is only gonna increase, I'm also not sure about that. I think as these guys get older, they'll play much more mellow jazz/salsa vibe music. But I really hope not. They are the best band in the world beside Tool, and I put them at the first place position because of longevity. But I'm excited to see The Mars Volta era last as long as it does. I've loved everything from at-the-drive-in thru de facto til now. And I don't think these amazing musicians could do anything to stop me from loving their music, even if it is slower jazzy/salsa. But only time will tell. Peace

kmfetterly starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/15/2008 02:45PM

Does anyone have tickets for the show on Thursday? My boyfriend wants to see them, I'm broke, and we just got back together, plus, his birthday is Friday. email kmfetterly at yahoo dot com. Peace! Kate