RECORD STORE DAY IN-STORES ANNOUNCED FOR 4/19!
METALLICA, JACKIE GREENE, WILL OLDHAM, STEVE EARLE, REGINA SPEKTOR, BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB ARE AMONG THOSE PARTICIPATING
BJORK'S 3-D VIDEO "WANDERLUST" TO BE PREMIERED
As reported yesterday (see below), on Saturday, April 19, 2008, independent record stores will simultaneously link and act as one with the purpose of celebrating the culture and unique place that they occupy both in their local communities and nationally.
Many of the stores will be hosting in-store performances and appearances from top names on Record Store Day, including Metallica at Rasputin's in Mountain View, CA (Bay Area); Panic At The Disco at Waterloo in Austin, TX; Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls at Newbury Comics in Boston, MA; Regina Spektor at Sound Fix in Brooklyn, NY; Manchester Orchestra at Criminal Records in Atlanta, GA; and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at CD Central in Lexington, KY, among many others. S ee below for a list of some of the confirmed appearances.
Also, as a special Record Store Day event, 300 stores will distribute special 3D glasses printed with a secret URL associated with Record Store Day, on which the premier of the 3D version of Bjork's "Wanderlust" video will be shown on April 19. BJORK.COM will have a list of the stores who will have the limited edition glasses. Shot by Encyclopedia Pictura, "Wanderlust" is the latest groundbreaking video from Bjork's Grammy-nominated release, Volta.
In addition, a handful of UK-based indie music retailers have signed on to participate in Record Store Day. Most significantly, Rough Trade, the legendary outlet off Portobello Road will be hosting a whole day of events including live acts such as a performance by Billy Bragg and DJ sets making it INTERNATIONAL Record Store Day! (Check out http://www.roughtrade.com/site/instore.lasso for more information.)
SOME CONFIRMED RECORD STORE DAY IN-STORE APPEARANCES:
• Metallica will hang out with their fans at Rasputin's in Mountain View, CA.
• Peanut Butter Wolf will spin his favorite records at Amoeba in Los Angeles, CA.
• Jackie Greene will perform at Twist & Shout in Denver, CO.
• Thrice will perform at Zia Records in Phoenix, AZ.
• Soundtree Records will showcase their bands with a BBQ at Stinkweeds in Tempe, AZ.
• Graywhale in Salt Lake City, UT, will host an indie film fest with performances by Gaza and Royal Bliss.
• Panic at the Disco will meet their fans at Waterloo in Austin, TX.
• Amanda Palmer (from the Dresden Dolls) will paint in her underwear at Newbury Comics in Boston, MA.
• Sam Fogarino (of Interpol) will appear at Other Music in NYC to spin his favorite records.
• Regina Spektor will perform for fans in her Brooklyn, NY, neighborhood at Sound Fix.
• Nada Surf, Article A, Ben Taylor (son of James Taylor and Carly Simon), and David Saw will perform at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ.
• Parlor Mob will perform at Jack's Music Shoppe in Red Bank, NJ.
• Luna Music in Indianapolis, IN, will host a veggie burger grill-out with Doge of My Old Kentucky Blog doing a live remote for Sirius radio.
• Sick Puppies and Saving Evil will perform at Plan 9 in Richmond, VA.
• Marshall Crenshaw will perform at Plan 9 in Charlottesville, VA.
• Steve Earle and Allison Moorer will meet their fans at Manifest in Charlotte, NC.
• Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise will perform at Monster in Charleston, SC.
• Tim O'Brien and De Novo Dahl will perform, plus booths for meet and greet with fans will be manned by David Berman (Silver Jews/Drag City), Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy, Palace/Drag City), Kurt Wagner (Lambchop/Merge), Wooden Wand (Kill Rock Stars), Infinity Cat (indie label home of Be Your Own Pet), The Mattoid, Cake Bake Betty, at Grimey's in Nashville, TN.
• Dead Confederate, Manchester Orchestra, Anna Kramer & the Lost Cause, the Coathangers, and Janelle Monae among others will perform at Criminal Records in Atlanta, GA.
• Algebra will perform at North Georgia Compact Disc in Norcross, GA.
• Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Duke Spirit, and Tight Leather will perform at CD Central in Lexington, KY.
* Kate Nash performing at Mainstreet Music in Philadephia, PA
* Pat Monahan (lead dude from Train) will perform at Silver Platters in Seattle, WA.
* Lupe Fiasco will do in-store signing at Rasputin's in San Francisco.
* Billy Bragg will perform at Rough Trade Records in London.
"There's nothing as glamorous to me as a record store. When I recently
played Amoeba in L.A., I realised what fantastic memories such a
collection of music brings back when you see it all in one place. This
is why I'm more than happy to support Record Store Day and I hope that
these kinds of stores will be there for us all for many years to come.
Cheers!" –PAUL McCARTNEY
Record Store Day :: 04.19.08
The countdown is underway to the first-ever Record Store Day on Saturday, April 19. It's going to be an unprecedented event when hundreds of independent stores across the country join forces to celebrate the essential cultural and economic roles they play, both in their local communities and nationally. During these tumultuous times, it's been so encouraging to hear of the widespread support this initiative has garnered from fans, artists and the industry.
Each and every day, independent stores of all shapes and sizes (and the people who own, manage and work in them) bring not only their heart and soul, but also their creativity and their financial investment in the success of the music business. Artist development... customer service... innovative marketing and promotion... the list goes on and on. They have more than earned this chance to step into the spotlight and take their well-deserved applause from an enthusiastic and appreciative audience.
To honor Record Store Day, On April 19 a plethora of local record stores across the country will hold special events and offer the release of exclusive limited edition 10" and 7" singles by various artists including Built to Spill, R.E.M., Stephen Malkmus, Death Cab for Cutie, Vampire Weekend and The Black Keys to name a few.
1 Supernatural Superserious
2 Airliner [non-LP B-side]
The Black Keys:
1 Strange Times
2 Something on Your Mind [previously unreleased]
Built to Spill:
1 Don't Try [live, previously unreleased]
2 The Source [live, previously unreleased]
Death Cab for Cutie:
1 I Will Possess Your Heart (10" Mix)
2 I Will Possess Your Heart (7" Mix)
2 Oxford Comma (rehearsal version)