UMPH DOUBLE DISC & TOUR

LOOK FOR THE BAND ON TOUR THIS SPRING INCLUDING
A HEADLINING GREEN APPLE FESTIVAL PERFORMANCE
IN THEIR HOMETOWN OF CHICAGO

THE BAND WILL PERFORM THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
AT WHITE SOX'S HOME OPENER ON APRIL 2

Umphrey's McGee
On April 3, 2007 Umphrey's McGee releases a double disc album – a spontaneous and intriguing follow-up to their highly touted spring 2006 studio release Safety In Numbers. Titled The Bottom Half, disc one features ten songs that did not make it onto Safety In Numbers, while disc two offers outtakes, alternative versions of songs, a cappella recordings, and other bits from the band's 2005 studio sessions. As with Safety In Numbers, famed album artist Storm Thorgerson has designed the artwork for The Bottom Half.

Safety In Numbers attracted mountains of attention for Chicago's rising stars during 2006. The highly anticipated album charted on Billboard's Top 200 and on the coveted "Heatseekers" chart, and received a "4 Star" review in Blender magazine. Also in 2006, Umphrey's McGee sold out shows in theaters coast to coast, appeared at Lollapalooza and Bonnaroo, and made their late night TV debut on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live. In addition, Guitar Player Magazine recently featured the band's guitarists – Jake Cinninger and Brendan Bayliss – on their list of "Best Unsung Guitar Heroes."

Umphrey's McGee will tour this spring/summer in support of their new release. The list of stops includes a few very special appearances in their hometown of Chicago. The band will perform the National Anthem at U.S. Cellular Field for the Chicago White Sox home opener on April 2. This marks the third time Umphrey's McGee has sung the National Anthem at U.S. Cellular Field. Later in April, look for the band to headline the city's inaugural Green Apple Festival. Umphrey's performed this Earth Day festival last year in New York City, and is honored to now bring the earth-friendly event to their hometown. Umphrey's will headline the festivities at the Lincoln Park Zoo on April 22, in addition to a very special intimate Vic Theatre performance on April 21. A portion of the proceeds for the show, and 100% of the sales from an exclusive show poster, will be donated to a Chicago environmental organization to be determined.

Tour dates available here.

[Published on: 4/2/07]

Comments

Maestro starstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:23AM

Maestro

I know this isn't going to be a good first thread....BUT maybe somebody can help me out. I'm from the Chicagoland and always hear the hype about UM. Everything I have heard so far doesn't amount to anything better than shit music for ME. SO, can anybody give me a ragin show I can download off ARCHIVE that might sway my decision of this band? THANKS.

hambone Mon 4/2/2007 10:36AM

I agree 100% w/ palo024. My first UM experience was @ Big Summer Classic 2 years ago. I was really there to see cheese. I saw UM's set, but was not really drawn in. I want to get into UM but everything I've heard has been kinda humdrum. Not trying to hate on them at all. They must be doing something right, with the loyal fan base they have developed. I just dont get it.

bensall Mon 4/2/2007 10:38AM

palo024...go see them in concert a few times. Get familiar with the songs. UM is one of the best live bands out there.

kevinp17 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:40AM

um is musicians music. if you like jam, heavy-metal alternative music, you'll love this band. if not, stay away from it. it's not for you. don't go to their concerts and talk sh*t about 'em.
I can't wait for the new album and their concert soon!

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:44AM

they tore it up at 1st ave 2 weeks ago. 2nd nite was one of the best shows ive ever seen, from any band...

Maestro starstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:45AM

Maestro

I have seen them live, twice (once at Big Summer). Hence, why I asked for a recommendation for a phantastic show I can download. HAMBONE and I are NOT hatin...I hear so many people hypin them up (mostly teens) and would love to get alot more into them, so help me out.

beadiamondsomday starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:51AM

beadiamondsomday

JUST LISTEN TO A COUPLE OF SHOWS they are VERY diverse and sometimes almost jam too much it just depends on the show.
I WOULD RECOMEND 2/24/07 FROM CHARLOTTE OR THE SECOND SET FROM 2/23/07 CHARLESTON. AND IF ANYONE HERE HAS NOT HEARD THE IMMAGRINT SONG 10/28/05 VEGOOSE W/ WARREN GET THAT!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE UM

moephishH2O Mon 4/2/2007 10:54AM

moephishH2O

I've seen them about 10 times and each time, there better than the previous show. They are one of the "tightest" bands I've ever seen. i.e. they can stop on a dime and go in a different direction so fast and EVERYONE is on the same page. I just don't see much of that at live shows anymore...

Umphreek87 Mon 4/2/2007 10:57AM

Umphreek87

yea um is the fuckin shit. Best um shows ive been to is this last new years show and then the second night of the 05 big summer classic in shaumburg. Best songs... Triple wide, Front Porch, Slacker. UM Forever.

acomma starstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:00AM

acomma

I am in complete agreement with palo. I hear the hype, but have listened to a few of their shows and have really been unimpressed. I'll admit, I have yet to see them (that might change on 4/20 in Columbus), and am always down for new bands. A good sounding show just might change that, however. To the Umph fans, give me your favorite show, and I'll gladly check it out.

iamkickinit Mon 4/2/2007 11:01AM

iamkickinit

There are two sides to UM... Dark side, which tends to be what UM is moving towards now-a-days, and the older Brighter, Happier side. Personally I love the older UM more than the newer side. I just get sick of their heavy beats sometimes, almost gives me a headache. EX: First set of the Grand Rapids show two weeks ago.

I do love UM though. They have a very eclectic mix of songs, and are all insanely amazing musicians.

Sizlunt starstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:01AM

Sizlunt

Palo, if you have itunes, you can download some podcasts. Some of them are decent. They are ok for me, I'd go to a show if they were playing nearby. Not a big fan of their vocals, but I like what they do instrumentally sometimes.

Suppose they way I feel about them is that I want to get into them, but just can't that much. Don't dislike them, just not my favorite. One man's opinion.

voltard Mon 4/2/2007 11:03AM
EVILFUNK starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:04AM

EVILFUNK

I love these guys! If 2007 had a band that could entertain the masses while keeping the interest of musicians it would be UM!

IF THE JAM SCENE HAS A THRONE ITS TIME TO GIVE IT UP TO UM!!!

gmoo starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:08AM

gmoo

How can you even compare volta to um? These bands are miles apart with their live sound. I'm pretty sure the members of MV do not listen to each other on stage. But boy their singer can dance for the kids.

JakeCinningerisgod Mon 4/2/2007 11:10AM

if u really want to get into the band i would recommend the new years dvd it rawks hard. This band is not for everyone you have to be into all kinds of music they will rock ur ass off with some almost heavy metal songs then bust it into a phish sounding sound and then play a straight blues song, as the band proclaims themselves they really are rock n roll on ADD and i cant get enought of it! New CD is gonna be great. The way moephishH2O described them is perfect they are the most musically
"tight" band out there right now, u neever no what direction they r going to go in. 2/07/04 from the fox is good, 2-25-06 from Murat is really good, bonnaroo 04 is prolly my favorite and 4/29/06 in new orleans is good too, those r just some recomindations. Hope all you people tryin to get into the band enjoy!

voodoochili12 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:17AM

Umphreys's songwriting talent, studio work, spontaneity, and creative juices on stage make them one of the best bands around. I am a moe.ron first and foremost, but I love the "prog" element of Umphrey's. Those six fellas are talented as hell, and I would recommend 2-7-04, New Year's '02, the podcasts on their website, and of course Safety in Numbers and Anchor Drops. These guys deserve every last drop of fame and love they get. And yes, JAKE CINNIGER IS GOD

Maestro starstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:26AM

Maestro

Good lookin out, thanks. See, now that's the FEEDBACK I WANTED. As soon as I get off work I shall start the search for some of those shows. Thanks again, it's appreciated!

Dizon311 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:27AM

Dizon311

You have to remember out of all the Venues a band tour visits how many shows might not be the best? I have tried to convince people to see shows i totally dig.. and half the time it isnt that great. Umphreys pulls it off when they do.. if your lucky; your there and it will change your life. I cant convince anyone to like anything unless it touches them where it matters (hehe). Umphreys cant be liked from a cd or download; you have to be there and feal it. Ive seen them 30 times. and not all have been there best. But 03-06-07 Boulder Colorado recently made me cry it was so sick! They are the most important thing in my life. I hope others feal the same one day. but then again I hoped they stay that band I used to see in Chicago for $5 on the street. Which is gone and past. So get out to a small club and see them you'll see what they're made of.

Stevie_t starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:28AM

"mars volta> umph"

as a fan of both i can say this equation is false.

been seeing umphreys mcgee for a couple years now, and i just caught two shows last month and let me tell you they are totally on top of their game. this band is hot hot hot. i'll definetly be making the trek from detroit to chicago for green apple fest this year.

3-15-07 is a recent show that i caught that was smokin. or yeah, check out podcasts on their website.

ryan621 Mon 4/2/2007 11:30AM

Hey palo, try downloading off archive.org 10/31/2002 at the Fillmore. This show is a soundboard, great early umphs, and they throw it down, opening for Leftover Salmon. Another good soundboard show that demonstrates their skill with covers is the 2/07/2004 at the Fox Theatre. Other good shows are pretty much any new years show you can get a hold of and also 10/10/2003 @ Mad Frog; 4/14/2004 @ Cervantes; 9/21/2004 @ The Minnesota Zoo. This is obviously just for starters, but I think some of their best shows were in 2004, also check out the podcasts as they are better sound quality and give you a good variety of all the genres that UM crosses on any given day. Hope that helps!

ch217203 Mon 4/2/2007 11:35AM
Jidi Mon 4/2/2007 11:38AM

Jidi

This is the best band on the scene. No one can do it like these guys. Get ready for Tracegression cause thats gonna be outof control

Sizlunt Mon 4/2/2007 11:38AM

Sizlunt

Ummm Umphreys is hardly emo music dude, sorry. Personally I don't think they sound a whole lot like bisco either.

JakeCinningerisgod Mon 4/2/2007 11:40AM

Ur weclome Palo i hope u enjoy man, i STRONGLY recommened watching the new years DVD u get a huge feel for the bands attitude and diversity. This is what turned my friends onto Umphreys they were huge haters, actually haters, and now the are hardcore Umphreaks. But like i said the band is definetly not for everyone.

YEMolly Mon 4/2/2007 11:40AM

YEMolly

You never know what you're getting with UM. I've seen them twice. One time they were spectacular; the other time I felt like I was listening to Mega Death. :) A good show to listen to is 12/31/04 (or is it '05...). They are definitely the best prog rock band out there, IMO. You just have to catch them on the right day.

ryan621 Mon 4/2/2007 11:41AM

See you at Copper Jidi!

ddunlap Mon 4/2/2007 11:43AM

I saw them last year at the Jam in the Dam. Freaking fantastic. Also at Nokia Theater the weekend before. I like it!

ryan621 Mon 4/2/2007 11:45AM

See you at Copper Jidi!

Bradly Bifulco Mon 4/2/2007 11:47AM

Bradly Bifulco

please. please please please keep any comparative comments in regards to umphrey's mcleeroy and the mars volta to an absolute minimum (read as: try not to do it at all). These bands are so many worlds apart... in inspiration, intention and delivery... in virtually every aspect! to state that the band (TMV) doesn't listen to one another, or to reduce cedric's participation and performance to "dancing for the kiddies"... well, you're just not paying attention at all and assuredly do not get what the mars volta is doing and why it is significant ... please keep going to see umphreys.

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:52AM

BGsteveBG

mars volta < anybody < Umphrey's

Claypooldrums starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:54AM

ill gladly oblige, for me the pivotal show to win me over was from summercamp 04, BUT my new show that i listen to NONSTOP is 2-17-06 at nokia theater in NYC, they raged the hell outta my face, i had to glue my face back on, BUT THEN THEY RAGED IT OFF AGAIN!

2-17-06, if the 40's theme doesnt getcha, nothin will.

pgrizzle Mon 4/2/2007 11:55AM

pgrizzle

miss tinkle's overture>mulches odyssey

okalrightic starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 12:03PM

Umphrey's is king. these guys are all hard-core musicians, band geeks for sure. if you havent seen them live you have to check it out...seeing is believing. Check out the Bonnaroo 2004 show, one of the best ever. period.

Leistr Mon 4/2/2007 12:03PM

saw em' with adrian belew in michigan, fuckin sick, also there summer camp sets last year were pretty damn cool.

Shwompy starstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 12:03PM

Shwompy

Just picked up 2 of these shows mentioned The Fillmore and the Fox, and I have to admit it is very good. I have seen my fare share of Um.. maybe 5-6 times, all i cant get past is the Vocals, everything else is great.. The last Umphreys show i Saw was at the Barrymore in Madison, it was a great show, but the vocals got to me hard.. Not trying to bash, even know it sounds like I am. Peace and Love

bigfro Mon 4/2/2007 12:25PM

bigfro

11/18/05 Irving Plaza, New York, NY

UmphMe Mon 4/2/2007 12:25PM

UM, does it for me just about everytime. Sure sometimes there shows arent as good as one I saw a year, month, week ago. . .but hell that goes for everyband out there. Personally Umphrey's is the only band at the moment I really travel for ie longer than 4 hours. Some people I think just dont like the more rocking metal side of UM and would rather have the "happy" jams. Its all on what you taste in music is.

Some good recent shows:
11/02/06
12/30/06 - or really any from the run but this gets my vote
3/16/07 - w/ belew , my favorite show of the run
3/22/06 - This show is just sick, begining to end sick
3/23-24/06 - Both of these were good, these two shows may be for a little more die-hard fans but

dfreshvt Mon 4/2/2007 12:25PM

Strongly recommend 10/07/06 from the Electric Factory. My 9th show I think, but The sets really encompass alot of the songs that highlight thier musical diversity/ability/ and phenominal jams...I love alot of the bands on the scene these days but i have to put UM,Bisco,Sound Tribe on the top for each having thier unique traits and for putting on kick ass shows.. UM might not be for you, but dont knock em till you see a show... well worth the 20 bucks

bigfro Mon 4/2/2007 12:29PM

bigfro

I lve Umprey's. Their addicting. They have unusual time signatures. Once you get used to them, it's all you want to hear. very much the way Phish sounded like no one when they started. I LOVE THE VOCALS. 3 guys can sing.

ZRipper Mon 4/2/2007 12:33PM

All I gotta say is 7-16-05 at The All Good Festival...this show was tripped out, its ridonkulous...I still havent Umphrey's bring this side out of them since

theivywall Mon 4/2/2007 12:33PM

theivywall

Umphrey's is definately one of the most talented bands I've ever seen, and the songs\Brennan Bayliss' voice, which didn't do it for me at first, have definately grown on me. Bayliss writes really great, down-to-earth lyrics that didn't grab me at first because they're so straightfrward. They're written so they could apply to\connect to a myriad of people and not just a heavy-pschedelic using jamband phanatic. the best umph shows I've ever seen were:

2\24\06 at the Pageant in St. Louis
Friday NIght at Summercam last year
12\29\06 of their New Years run

All of those shows are on archive and all are really sick, also got to see them in South Bend on St. Patty's day and that was a real treat, really great homecoming.

JoeyTheFoot starstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 12:57PM

JoeyTheFoot

Have to agree with Palo on this one. I've seen them a couple of times and honestly I just don't get it. I'm not hatin at all, as from what I hear they are wonderful musicians, but their set at All Good last summer put me to sleep. Don't know if it was the 3 hits of acid the night before for G.R.A.B and Ween, but they just didn't do it for me. I think I"ll check out some of the shows you guys suggested and hopefully turn me around. That's my whole thing is that everyone hypes them up and loves this band..I would just like to get on the same page. Again not hatin on UM at all so nothing personal against anyone or the musicians themselves. I mean lets think about it folks some dont' like Phish, some love Phish. Some hate Panic others love Panic...all in all we're all here for good tunes, good times, and funky herb...

lvcheese Mon 4/2/2007 01:16PM

lvcheese

I also agree with palo024....I need to download a show that is off the hook, I just can't get into UM that much. Any advice???

Flyingbird73 starstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 01:19PM

Flyingbird73

For what it's worth, if palo024 and hambone are still reading...those podcasts are free and each is roughly 75 minutes long, basically a set each....and they rock and shapeshift as only UM can. As has been stated, I agree, they are not for everyone, especially if you don't have that metal-chromosome still looming in your system somewhere. But if you do, this band is for you. They somehow seem to mesh all that in us which somehow loves the Dead, Yes, Santana, Led Zep and Iron Maiden...what a f'n cocktail...LONG MAY YOU RAWK, U M !!!

owu47 Mon 4/2/2007 01:38PM

Yo UM is dank. I say if anyone wants to get to know them check out the 4/20 show in C-bus. IT's gonna be off the hook

phishluvr Mon 4/2/2007 01:39PM

phishluvr

Okay, who planned this tour? These guys are bouncing all over the Northeast...that's gonna make it tough for ppl on tour.

JakeCinningerisgod Mon 4/2/2007 02:20PM

JoeyTheFoot u fucking rock dude, seriously. The Cbus show is gonna be the shit owu, newport is 2 blocks from my house on 4/20!!!! i think ill just float there.

paulygparty Mon 4/2/2007 02:47PM

Anyone have UM Main Stage at High Sierra last year?

That show blew me and my friends away and sadly I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Would love to trade,

paulglaser@gmail.com

shacklefordwantsapizza starstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 02:57PM

im glad to see that MOST of you are keeping an open mind when i comes to this. It you do have an open mind, check out any of the above mentioned shows also the jamcruise set from 04 (very interesting) and the nye from 06 (12-31-06) its a sbd and very very tight, especially with the horns. Definately don't judge this band on one, two or even three expreinces. they are very flixible musically speaking and sometimes its just not what you are looking for...wait and try again, they'll hit the spot. and if they don't, don't hate, it just wasn't meant to be. enjoy, see you all at the murat!!!!

Maestro starstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 03:28PM

Maestro

thanks peeps for the continued suggestions...like I mentioned before I am not hatin. I grew up on the Dead, and saw about 80 Phish shows. I love music, it's simply my HIGHER POWER. To me, NOTHING can even touch the inner bliss I felt listening to Phish. Be it live, or on track. STS9 has been the only thing I have been turned on to in the last 5 years that even comes close to replicating that feeling...FOR ME.

I am about to kick back, roll a Marley of Kush and zone out and give this a try. Wish me luck you UM fans...I may be next to you with some amazing flavors to share if this goes good!!!

Peace, Love, and much Respect.

peaton Mon 4/2/2007 03:39PM

peaton

I love Umphrey's live, but lets not overlook their studio work. Anchor Drops and Safety in Numbers are both good and even Local Band Does OK (however Kris wasn't in the group at that point.) If you want to slowly get to know their style a little better, I'd reccomend picking up these albums. Also, see Umphrey's play a club show, they rock the house.

This is an open question: What is ur favorite umphreys live cover?

Personally I dig their version of Panama

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 03:46PM

BGsteveBG

Heart and Soul played at summerfest in '05, i believe
Also they did a mean version of 'hot for teacher' at alexian field in '04 i think

gmoo starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 04:01PM

gmoo

Making Flippy Floppy. UM melts my face.

JakeCinningerisgod Mon 4/2/2007 04:15PM

Let Me Go Home Whiskey or Fool in the Rain both great covers

PhillyG Mon 4/2/2007 04:23PM

I heard UM a long time ago and I was not impressed. I also have a lot of friends who always bagged on them and said that they were not a great band.
Boy am I glad that I gave UM another chance. Kick ass show, especially if you catch them on the right night. Peaton is right too - I think Kris gave them a lot more depth in their sound. He is great drummer.
I really look forward to this record. Safety In Numbers & Anchor Drops have been playing on my stereo icessantly. Umprey's can bring it hard, soft, funky, heavy and even electronic like STS9. Truly the best and most diverse band on the scene. Look out for these guys, I think it is just starting.

cam0083 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 05:00PM

cam0083

Anyone know if Umphrey's are a headliner at 10k? They're listed third from the top right now on the bands website but no schedule set.

SPF9 Mon 4/2/2007 05:04PM

SPF9

no one can roll like jake

example1 Mon 4/2/2007 05:49PM

example1

cam0083- umphreys is a "headliner" but all that means is they play the big stage, im sure they will be in the 6:00pm slot.

summercamp 04 is a great listen, the second set is crazy but mainly wieghs on the prog/heavy side.

if you wanna hear a good recent show check out 3-22-07 in madison. solid rock show. best great american ever!

spaceface7 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 06:38PM

Can't wait for nyc,dc,rocity,and b-town next weekend!! See all you phreaks out there!

Sizlunt Mon 4/2/2007 06:50PM

Sizlunt

Been listening to em all day long now. Fantastic instrumentals. I wish they had better singers.

yemmw Mon 4/2/2007 07:14PM

yemmw

"IF THE JAM SCENE HAS A THRONE ITS TIME TO GIVE IT UP TO UM!!!"

What a load of shit. They don't even jam. There is no improv. Just heavy riffage over and over and over.

beekerzoid starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 07:29PM

beekerzoid

IF you want to get into the band/understand them sure you can download their music, sure you can watch the dvd and sure you can listen to their cd's but you will never really get it until you have seen maybe a handful of shows, (and dont say you saw them at a festival((see them as they are the headliner at venue)) and then you might grow to love. You cannot sit there and compare them to Phish because Umphrey's is making music that is completely original. Also reccomend picking up the album Local Band Does O.K...... That is all

GingerDressing Mon 4/2/2007 07:49PM

GingerDressing

Polyester Pimpstrap.

ShyStoner Mon 4/2/2007 07:57PM

Who was the chick at History Museum show that was saying they'd be playing the Riverview Fest again this summer? Both nights? Way cool if that be the case.

Jazzgtrl4 Mon 4/2/2007 08:08PM

Fire the percussion player.

suripper starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 08:51PM

I would say see them in an indoor venue, their is alot to their music and I found I enjoyed them better indoors than outdoors. Something is lost when music is played in a large open feild.

Borealis Fir starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 10:03PM

can't wait to see them back at 10KLF, anyone looking for a good show of UM would appreciate their show last year at 10K. Get the shows from UMlive.net with superb soundboard quality. I think they put on a great live show and love to have a good time, they play so well together with that perfect tight, precise, yet loose sound with their brilliance.

BGsteveBG starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:22PM

BGsteveBG

jazzgrl... they have such a deep percussion sound, its just as mind blowing as their double guitar sound....

i say keep 'em both, and kris should be hailed as a god.

unclewally2 starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:34PM

AFRICA! couldnt read all the posts umphreys is still up and coming.too drunk at last years show. true story my buddy taps me on the show and says "theres the guy from string" i say before turning around "who mike kang" sure enough it was him with a sexy biddy on his arm . too messed up to say whats up. umphreys 10klf mainstage is the rumor?

unclewally2 starstarstarstar Mon 4/2/2007 11:36PM

minnesota zoo great show 03 or 04? ended their tour hear 2 awesome shows.

bobertjohnson starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/3/2007 01:49AM

Minnesota Zoo is 8/21/04, great show. The best one to get, in my opinion, is 12/11/04 @ The 9:30 Club in Washington DC. Highlights are the 20 minute HBB to kick it off, The Triple Wide, Making Flippy Floppy> Bright Lights, Big City.....well it's all good.

ShyStoner Tue 4/3/2007 06:08AM

Fire Farag? Back to your game of gay naked Twister!

wjeremy26 starstarstarstar Tue 4/3/2007 07:03AM

Check out the Umphreys Podcast. #20 is good, and I like #5 and #32. Podcasts are great way to hear different bands, for free and with good sound quality.

hnkscrpio Tue 4/3/2007 09:46AM

hnkscrpio

I agree with bobert on the Minnesota Zoo show, the sound quality is great and also great setlist. But honestly, just because a band is awesome, doesn't mean that they are for everyone. If everyone in the world liked Umphrey's, than people would start calling them bullshit pop rock. Ha, did everyone else laugh at that comment up at the top about Umphrey's being an emo version of the Biscuits. That was one ridiculously terrible comparison. I got a great laugh off that one, thanks buddy.

JakeCinningerisgod Tue 4/3/2007 11:41AM

fire farag!!!! andy farag is awesome and always lookin sexy as hell in the suit, hes a lady killer.

badfish420 Tue 4/3/2007 01:59PM

badfish420

Hell yea ill be there on 4/20 in cbus. All you Umphreys haters must be wearin earplugs during their set or something cuz ive seen em 5 times now and have tons of live sets downloaded plus all of their studio albums and ive never heard a single piece of music by them that i didnt absolutely love. LONG LIVE UM!!

tate79 Tue 4/3/2007 02:08PM

what are some of ya'll umphreek's favorite songs of theirs? Someone gave me a disk once, it was pretty good. After that I saw Brendon Bayless guest appear at a cheese show, and he absolutley ripped it up on "hey pocky way". I was super impressed with his jam abilities & was totally stoked to see their show. When they actually came to town I was very disappointed and the girl i took was annoyed so much that she talked me into leaving halfway through the second set. It seemed liked everytime they got into a semi groove all of a sudden it just stopped or changed directions. I can see the potential & I think some of Brendon shredding is top notch. Was it maybe just a off night? What songs are must have's? let me know. Oh and dont write back to talk shit, I'm just stating my experience and trying to get some constructive feedback.

tate79 Tue 4/3/2007 03:59PM

thanks h.b. I always go for the soundboards. I'll check out a more recent show, one that has been suggested to others above. Maybe I'll finmd a good recent home town show in chi town. I can see the great deal of talent that umph's has. It just didnt happen to transelate into a good show on that particular night. I see the huge and ever growing number of devoted umphreek's so I know they deserve more than that one chance.

astroworms Tue 4/3/2007 08:29PM

astroworms

2003-10-10
2004-07-04
2005-03-11
2006-02-24

that's a good little sample of the progression of their music, and i believe it can all be found on archive

hajimemashite Wed 4/4/2007 02:43AM

hajimemashite

One of the band's favorite nights was 4/15/06 @ the Fillmore. It was the best show, by any band, any venue, ever.

spacephunkmdma starstar Wed 4/4/2007 09:30AM

Very talented but very boring YAWN

ekoostik-nation starstarstar Wed 4/4/2007 09:36AM

ekoostik-nation

Although Umphrey sets at any festival i've seen them at, the true way to see their amazing abilities at a single live show... They did a new years eve show in Chicago and it was without a dought one of their most epic performances, atleast from the five other times that i had seen them perform.. come to columbus on 4/20 for what should obviously be a great show and only $15..

unclewally2 Wed 4/4/2007 12:45PM

minnesita zoo show i'll say it again buut the 1st ave show were awesome H.B. you da man i liked 1st night better personally cause i wansnt so fucked up maybe you remeber me at 2nd night telling everyone i could " i like your style" or " i like your moves".

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Wed 4/4/2007 12:45PM

Divisions on disc one of The Bottom Half, is the best song on the whole disc. It took me three times of seeing them before I heard the inner ping. yes, there are songs I dont care for, but at least 80% of it is pretty cool. my last show was a private show at a highschool, they did partyin peeps>in the kitchen>in the flesh>another brick in the wall.
I was quite impressed at this show.. peas.....

unclewally2 Wed 4/4/2007 12:47PM

theres a few typos you ger the point

j-bizzle starstarstarstarstar Wed 4/4/2007 03:19PM

j-bizzle

hajimemashite - hell yes, 4/15 was off the hook! One of my top 5 umph shows that i've seen.

bBlack starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/5/2007 12:51PM

Can't wait to see these guys again. It is very interesting to see everyone on here being intrigued by the UM. I didn't like them at first either because of the vocals and because of the quick changes, but I could see the talent (especially in Jake from the beginning) and it intrigued me as well. Jake is who made me want to see them again and now I love their changes and think their vocals are top notch (need to show them off more). Long live UM.

Ben80 starstarstarstar Thu 4/5/2007 02:46PM

Ben80

I didn't like Safety In Numbers much but I saw them live and holy shit it was the best show of my life

mackadocious Fri 4/6/2007 06:16AM

mackadocious

UM is my favorite group right now. For the past couple of years I've been collecting a HUGE Phish catolog and I'll always listen to those tunes. UM is fresh and they give you plenty of opportunities to see 'em. Bottom half is alright but I wish they could record an album as good as Anchor Drops(studio Plunger is the best!)or Local Band. They're totally a group to see live and they have the same kind of spirit and humor that Phish used to have. I think of their sound as kind of a cross between Dream Theatre and Phish. Who doesn't love the dual guitar antics of BB and JC?

mackadocious Fri 4/6/2007 06:54AM

mackadocious

I'm sorry. I just read the comment from yemmw. Buddy, I don't hate you (which is what separates me from your parents)but you obviously don't know a whole hell of a lot about playing music or listening to it for that matter. True there is heavy riffing, but when a band is "Tight" like UM you don't even realize that they ARE improvising and extending their songs by 5 or 10 minutes. Most events aren't planned!

Makisupa_McGee starstarstarstarstar Fri 4/6/2007 05:38PM

Makisupa_McGee

huge fan but havnt had a chance to pick up the album yet (birthday in a week, so im holdin out for that). Would like some album reviews/first impressions from FANS. If you dont like UM, then your opinions are about as useful as a dookie flavoured popsicle

ambrosiajam Sun 4/8/2007 11:14AM

new years eve this year was fucking insane. so was the eagles ballroom in milwaukee last november. the last show i saw in the orpheum, madison, wi was alright, but i'm just spoiled from new years and the rave.... so it didnt impress me as much as normal. i guess its just cuz they played 4 songs that i dont care for ... twice.

haha anyways... sometimes umphreys is lazy, but usually they are out of control. they're way better live, as headliners, than in the daytime or as some opener, or even just to listen to. you just gotta be there. i've been to like 20 umph shows, since 2003...and i've seen them evolve so much. its funny how people either love them or hate em.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Mon 4/9/2007 09:32AM

hehe. I was indifferent after smilefest 2003, then at the variety I hated it, then the private show at a high school I saw the first set was Fantastic!! hmmmm.. guess its hit or miss, till I catch more of an UM bug, and no hum bug. peas...

Maestro Mon 4/9/2007 09:54AM

Maestro

I'd just like to point out Makisupa_McGee's picture. For those of you who don't know what a 'hog' really is.....take a good look my friends, that 1979 Urban Express Moped is one serious ride. I'm telling you, hold on because topping out at 35 mph has never been so crazy...seriously

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/9/2007 03:11PM

picked up this cd saturday and i like it alot. um is imo the best band out there right now. if anyone is a umphreys fan get this new cd.

terrarium_fusilage starstarstar Mon 4/9/2007 11:37PM

terrarium_fusilage

i picked up their album a few months ago. They seemed to be a Zappa-induced left hook of Phish, which I think is a little refreshing, but I wasn't impressed. They seem to have very good songwriting, and musically I think to be impressed I'd have to see them live. Personally, I found Bisco to be much more appealing to me, personally, because they're much more spacey and their jams seem to just take me in un-heard-of dimensions which I can relish in almost as much as Moe. They have that space-rock aesthetic. Umphrey's, I can sense their creative vibes and they're strong to me, but they lack that uniqueness. Again, this is coming from a mind which is still ignorant to their live excursions, so that's just my opinion from their album.

radioioJAM starstarstarstar Tue 4/10/2007 07:20PM

radioioJAM

listen to the bottom half on ioJAM.

atmosfarag, bright lights, red room, intentions clear alt version, etc.

davidholton1 Fri 4/20/2007 09:55PM

lack uniqueness? dont improvise?wtf?funny that people r gonna comment on a band they have no clue about.best rock band goin.true alot of their stuff is highly arranged however every show they play has sick improvs that they had never played b 4 and will never play agin that blow away all the other so called jambands.although i have 2 say the bottom half is extremely weak from a fans perspective. um dominates though. trangression babbbbbaaay!!see u there

O1Roggae Wed 5/2/2007 07:31AM

O1Roggae

Umprey's is the shit and anyone who is going to be in S. FL go see UM and Bisco at the Pompano Beach Amphitheatre on 7/01 its sure to be one of the better shows thats comin to FL this summer. I urge anyone who loves these bands to go and rage out.