Glazed architectural terra cotta is found in abundance throughout the Louisville area, especially in the downtown Central Business district. Nowhere are its qualities of adaptability to distinct architectural styles, modular rhythms, quality and variety of color more apparent than in the Wright-Taylor building. This building was constructed in 1928 as office space for Wright & Taylor, Inc. , distributers of Old Charter Bourbon Whiskey. The Old Charter Distillery was located across the street on the northwest corner of 4th and Chestnut St. During the prohibition era and through the late 1960s, the building housed a variety of small commercial businesses and has been vacant for nearly three decades. This historic building, added to the National Register of Historic places in 1984, has a bright new future as the Mercury Ballroom opening in the Spring of 2014.
The significance of the Wright-Taylor Building lies in its beautifully crafted use of architectural terra cotta in the Tudor-Gothic motif. Strategically located in the Louisville Historic Theatre District, the Wright-Taylor building was a marvel in its day for its imaginative use of stylistic motifs and variety of color, and remains a rare local example of Tudor-Gothic architecture.