Hear Kurt Vile & The Violators Cover The Velvet Underground’s ‘Run Run Run’
The forthcoming 'I'll Be Your Mirror' compilation features covers of all 11 tracks from 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' by an impressive roster of artists.
Kurt Vile & The Violators, St. Vincent, Courtney Barnett, Sharon Van Etten and Michael Stipe are among contributors to I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute To The Velvet Underground & Nico, an 11-track compilation set for release through Verve on September 24. Vile and his band took on “Run Run Run” from The Velvet Underground & Nico’s self-titled 1967 debut album and today the cover is the first single out from the complete reimagination of the legendary LP.
The late Hall Willner, a close friend of Lou Reed, oversaw and served as executive producer of I’ll Be Your Mirror. Other contributions besides Vile’s “Run Run Run” include Van Etten’s “Femme Fatale” with Angel Olsen on backing vocals, Stipe’s “Sunday Morning,” Andrew Bird and Lucius teaming up for “Venus In Furs,” Barnett covering “I’ll Be Your Mirror” and St. Vincent (Annie Clark) pairing with longtime collaborator Thomas Bartlett for “All Tomorrow’s Parties.” Additional tracks come from Matt Berninger, Thurston Moore, King Princess, Fontaines D.C. and Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney.
“I literally covered ‘Run Run Run’ when I was a kid. In my late teens with my band at the time. So it was pretty cosmic, let’s say. There is a direct connection to certain indie bands and beyond w/ the Velvets,” Vile said of his contribution. “That’s why the Velvets are a classic. You know it can have doo-wop in there and things like that, but it can also have this jagged noisy thing, and it immediately let me feel like I could do anything. The possibilities are endless.”
Kurt Vile & The Violators’ “Run Run Run” cover arrived with an accompanying video. Check it out below:
I’ll Be Your Mirror: A Tribute To The Velvet Underground & Nico Tracklist
- Sunday Morning – Michael Stipe (3:50)
- I’m Waiting For The Man – Matt Berninger (3:44)
- Femme Fatale – Sharon Van Etten (w/ Angel Olsen on backing vocals) (4:43)
- Venus In Furs – Andrew Bird & Lucius (6:55)
- Run Run Run – Kurt Vile & The Violators (6:59)
- All Tomorrow’s Parties – St. Vincent & Thomas Bartlett (4:52)
- Heroin – Thurston Moore feat. Bobby Gillespie (7:24)
- There She Goes Again – King Princess (3:29)
- I’ll Be Your Mirror – Courtney Barnett (2:27)
- The Black Angel’s Death Song – Fontaines D.C. (3:12)
- European Son – Iggy Pop & Matt Sweeney (7:45)