Between 2003 and 2007, Jazz At Lincoln Center in New York City hosted a series of galas that found Jazz At Lincoln Center Managing & Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis (a nine-time Grammy winner himself) and his Septet joined by an unbelievable roster of talented musicians that collectively boasts 94 Grammy wins. On March 23, Blue Engine Records will issue United We Swing featuring previously-unreleased live performances from the aforementioned series at Jazz At Lincoln Center.
The array of talent found on the record is eye-popping. Not only do you have the late Ray Charles leading the Wynton Marsalis Septet on “I’m Gonna Move To The Outskirts,” but there’s also Bob Dylan on “It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry,” John Mayer on “I’m Gonna Find Another You,” Eric Clapton on “I’m Not Rough” and Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks teaming for a stirring, infectious take on Civil Rights anthem “I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free.” Also among the 16 tracks is Willie Nelson fronting “Milk Cow Blues,” Jimmy Buffett belting out “Fool’s Paradise” and a NOLA-infused arrangement composed by Marsalis of Lenny Kravitz’s “Are You Gonna Go My Way” featuring Kravitz himself.
Check out a trailer for the album:
United We Swing is available for pre-order here. Proceeds benefit Jazz At Lincoln Center’s educational programs.
United We Swing Tracklist
- 1. The Last Time feat. Blind Boys of Alabama
- 2. It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry feat. Bob Dylan
- 3. I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town feat. Ray Charles
- 4. I’m Not Rough feat. Eric Clapton
- 5. Creole Love Call feat. Audra McDonald
- 6. Milk Cow Blues feat. Willie Nelson
- 7. I’m Gonna Find Another You feat. John Mayer
- 8. My Baby Don’t Tolerate feat. Lyle Lovett
- 9. The Worst Thing feat. Natalie Merchant
- 10. Please Baby Don’t feat. John Legend
- 11. Mean Old Man feat. James Taylor
- 12. Are You Gonna Go My Way feat. Lenny Kravitz
- 13. Fool’s Paradise feat. Jimmy Buffett
- 14. Empty Bed Blues feat. Carrie Smith
- 15. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free feat. Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks
- 16. What Have You Done?