Paul Simon Announces Muhammad Ali’s Death During ‘The Boxer’ Performance
Last night at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, California singer-songwriter Paul Simon paused his performance of “The Boxer” to announce Muhammad Ali’s death. News of the passing of the 74-year-old legendary former heavyweight boxing champion broke during Simon’s concert at the famed outdoor venue.
Simon was nearing the final verse of the Simon & Garfunkel original when he paused to address the audience. “I’m sorry to tell you this in this way, but Muhammad Ali passed away,” Simon said and then launched into the ending of the song composed of these poignant lyrics:
- In the clearing stands a boxer
- And a fighter by his trade
- And he carries the reminders
- Of ev’ry glove that laid him down
- And cut him till he cried out
- In his anger and his shame
- “I am leaving, I am leaving”
- But the fighter still remains
Paul’s tribute to Ali was captured and posted to YouTube by Bad Goalie and Up3rd, watch their respective videos below:
[Hat Tip – Deadheadland]
Tour Dates for
We don’t currently have any upcoming shows for Paul Simon.
Pro Tip: Click “Add to My Bands” above and we’ll notify you when Paul Simon announces shows in your area.