Joe Russo’s Almost Dead Shares Philadelphia & Washington DC Live Recordings
Joe Russo’s Almost Dead closed out their headlining activity for 2019 with a two-night run at The Met Philly in Philadelphia on September 26 and 27 and a show at The Anthem in Washington D.C. on September 28. The latest installment of the quintet’s “Taper Thursdays” series features official recordings of all three concerts.
The first night in Philly began with a jam that gave way to a “Let It Grow” featuring “Crazy Fingers” within. Next up was the return of “Till The Morning Comes,” an early GD song last played by JRAD on December 30, 2016. A pairing of “My Brother Esau” and “Here Comes Sunshine” ended the weekend’s opening frame. Guitarist Tom Hamilton led a cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “Atlantic City” that kicked off the second set on September 26. The band included GD song suites “Lost Sailor”/”Saint Of Circumstance” and “Help On The Way”/”Slipknot!”/”Franklin’s Tower” within the closing stanza. Joe Russo’s Almost Dead hadn’t performed the run of “Help”/”Slip”/”Franklin’s” since December 31, 2016. The 148-show gap was celebrated with a trophy drummer Joe Russo gave fan Stevie Pancoast, who had spent years trying to convince Joe to include the sequence in a JRAD show.
JRAD’s second night in the City Of Brotherly Love got underway with a bit of improv the band used to launch into “Magnificent Sanctuary Band.” The first set was also highlighted by the group’s first “Dark Star” in 88 shows and first “Looks Like Rain” in 162 shows. Night Two in Philly also saw JRAD split “Cats Under The Stars” as they fit “I Know You Rider” and “Casey Jones” within the Jerry Garcia Band favorite. The end of “Cats” led into a brief “Mountain Jam” excursion before Almost Dead closed the second set with a run of “Bertha” > “Throwing Stones” > the “Terrapin Station” suite and returned for a “Sugar Magnolia” encore complete with “Sunshine Daydream.
The finale in Washington D.C. was also filled with highlights. Among them was the JRAD debut of “Black Muddy River,” the band’s first “Turn On Your Love Light” in 106 shows and a “Cream Puff War” that gave way to The Band’s “Ophelia.” For the encore, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead busted out “The Weight” after a gap of 78 shows, performed the “Sunday Sermon” of “Samson & Delilah” and said farewell with a cover of Spacehog’s “In The Meantime.”
Setlists & Audio (Thanks to Peter Costello & Eric McRoberts)
September 26 @ The Met Philly – Philadelphia
Set One: Jam -> Let It Grow -> Crazy Fingers @ -> Let It Grow Jam -> Til The Morning Comes # > My Brother Esau $, Here Comes Sunshine %
Set Two: Atlantic City $$ > Lost Sailor -> Saint Of Circumstance ^ > Tennessee Jed &, The Last Time * > Help On The Way -> Slipknot! ** -> Franklin’s Tower @@
Encore: It’s All Over Now Baby Blue ##
- @ – With a Let It Grow Tease (TH)
- # – Not Played By Almost Dead since 2016-12-30 Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, a gap of 114 shows
- $ – With a “Low Rider” (War) Tease (MB)
- $$ – Not Played By Almost Dead since 2019-01-19, The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, a gap of 32 shows
- % – With a Let It Grow Tease (TH)
- ^ – With a Terrapin Tease (MB)
- & – With a Dancing Tease (TH), a Good Lovin’ Tease (Band), a “Love Supreme” (John Coltrane) Tease (SM) and a MB Solo
- * – Not Played By Almost Dead since 2018–03-10 Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY, a gap of 63 shows
- ** – With a Feel Like A Stranger Tease (TH)
- @@ – With “Jessica” (Allman Brothers Band) Teases (SM & MB), with confetti cannons and CryoJets. The last Help -> Slip -> Franklin’s in that order was played by Almost Dead 1364 days prior, on 2016-01-01, Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, a gap of 148 shows. Joe gave Stevie Pancoast a trophy to commemorate that fact after the set.
September 27 @ The Met Philly – Philadelphia
Set One: Jam -> Magnificent Sanctuary Band ## -> Good Lovin’ > Hell In A Bucket, New Speedway Boogie -> Dark Star @ -> Winter War Games Jam # -> Looks Like Rain $ > Touch Of Grey
Set Two: Jam -> Mama Tried > Cats Under The Stars % -> I Know You Rider ^ -> Cats Under The Stars & -> Casey Jones -> Cats Under The Stars Reprise * -> Mountain Jam -> Bertha > Throwing Stones > Lady With A Fan + -> Terrapin Station ++ -> Marco Solo -> Terrapin -> Terrapin Transit -> At a Siding -> Terrapin Flyer -> Refrain
Encore: Sugar Magnolia/Sunshine Daydream@@
- ## – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2018-10-20 The Anthem, Washington, DC, a gap of 40 Shows
- @ – With a Let It Grow Tease (Band), Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2017-10-05 Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY, a gap of 88 Shows
- # – Incomplete, instrumental Version of an American Babies Song, first time played by Almost Dead
- $ – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2015-10-03 Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY, a gap of 162 Shows
- % – With a “Walk Like An Egyptian” (The Bangles) Tease (MB) and a China>Rider Transition Jam
- ^ – With a “National Anthem” (Radiohead) Tease (TH)
- & – With Casey Jones & Tennessee Jed Teases (SM)
- * – With a Good Lovin’ Tease (MB), First split Cats
- + – With “Fearless” (Pink Floyd) Teases (MB & Band)
- ++ – With a Tennessee Jed Tease (TH), an Other One-esque Jam and a Throwing Stones Jam
- @@ – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2019-01-20, The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, a gap of 32 shows
September 28 @ The Anthem – Washington D.C.
Set One: Jam -> Easy Wind, Feel Like A Stranger@, Cumberland Blues, Jam – > Jack Straw, Box Of Rain, MB Solo -> (Turn On Your) Lovelight#
Set Two: Alligator$ -> Me & My Uncle, Scarlet Begonias -> Cream Puff War% > Ophelia^ > Fire On The Mountain&, Black Muddy River*
Encore: The Weight+, Samson & Delilah, In The Meantime
- @ – With a China Cat Tease (Band) and a Viola Lee Tease (TH)
- # – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2017-03-17 Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn, NY, a gap of 106 shows, Marco on vocals.
- $ – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2019-03-03 State Theatre, Portland, ME, a gap of 26 shows
- % – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2019-01-20 The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, a gap of 33 shows
- ^ – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2019-02-14 Tabernacle Atlanta, Atlanta, GA, a gap of 32 shows
- & – With China Cat Teases (SM & TH), Good Lovin’ Teases (SM & TH) and a “Tequila” (The Champs) Tease (SM)
- * – First Time Played By Almost Dead
- + – Not Played By Almost Dead Since 2017-11-25 Fillmore Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, a gap of 78 shows, proceeded by a Tennessee Jed Tease (MB) and including Tennessee Jed Teases (SM & MB)
Tour Dates for
Joe Russo’s Almost Dead
- Atlanta, GA
- 3 days • Apr 24 - 26, 2020
Joe Russo’s Almost Dead at SweetWater 420 FestOysterheadTrey Anastasio BandGary Clark Jr.
Exact performance date not yet confirmed.