Drummer Joe Russo will front an incredible collection of his musical friends for a performance dubbed “Joe Russo’s Friends With Benefit” to coincide with the auction of Jerry Garcia’s iconic Wolf guitar at Brooklyn Bowl in New York City on Wednesday, May 31. As reported the current owner of Wolf is putting the guitar up for sale with proceeds to benefit the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Joe Russo will perform with John Scofield, Nels Cline, Neal Casal, Billy Martin, Cass McCombs, Dave Dreiwitz, Dave Harrington, Tom Hamilton, Delicate Steve, Scott Metzger, Jon Shaw, Erik Deutsch, Alecia Chakour, Eric D. Johnson, Jonathan Goldberger and Cochemea Gastelum at the Bowl on the 31st. Tickets go on sale Monday, May 8 at 10 a.m. ET via Ticketfly. Proceeds from ticket sales will also be donated to Southern Poverty Law Center.
The current owner of Wolf bought the guitar through a 2002 Guernsey’s auction for $700K. “Every penny of the amount bid on this extraordinary instrument will go to SPLC.” The current owner said, “I’ve been a fan of The Dead since I was a kid, and playing this iconic guitar over the past 15 years has been a privilege. But the time is right for Wolf to do some good. My wife and I have long supported the efforts of the Southern Poverty Law Center, and if ever we needed the SPLC, we sure do need them now.”
Jerry Garcia first used Wolf on September 5, 1973 as part of a Garcia & Saunders gig at a private party held for the Hell’s Angels. Garcia used the guitar through the first half of 1975 and then again full-time in the fall of 1977 through the summer of 1979 as per Relix. Wolf came out of retirement in 1989 when Garcia started to experiment with MIDI synthesizers and was last thought to be played by Jerry with the Dead on February 23, 1993. Since his passing, the guitar has been used by a number of musicians in a number of settings over the years including by Warren Haynes for many Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration performances.
Joe Russo’s Friends With Benefits Guests
- – John Scofield
- – Nels Cline (Wilco)
- – Neal Casal (Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Circles Around The Sun)
- – Billy Martin (Medeski Martin & Wood)
- – Joe Russo
- – Cass McCombs
- – Dave Dreiwitz (Ween, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead)
- – Dave Harrington (Darkside, Hooteroll? + Plus)
- – Tom Hamilton (Joe Russo’s Almost Dead)
- – Delicate Steve
- – Scott Metzger (Joe Russo’s Almost Dead)
- – Jon Shaw (Bob Weir, Shakey Graves)
- – Erik Deutsch (Charlie Hunter, Hooteroll? + Plus)
- – Alecia Chakour (Tedeschi Trucks Band)
- – Eric D Johnson (Fruit Bats)
- – Jonathan Goldberger (Red Baraat, Hooteroll? + Plus)
- – Cochemea Gastelum (Dap-Kings)