Listen To A Supercut Of Grateful Dead Performing ‘Row Jimmy’ Between 1973 & 1995
Hear the Dead staple throughout the decades.
The Grateful Dead shared a Good Ol’ Grateful Deadcast supercut of “Row Jimmy” featuring 25 versions of the song spanning 1973 to 1995. The 22-year mashup of the Dead staple comes as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations of Wake Of The Flood, the album the tune appears on.
The “Row Jimmy” supercut begins with a Wake Of The Flood demo version from guitarist Jerry Garcia’s Sans Souci home studio in Stinson Beach, California. From their the song emerges from the studio — save for a snippet from the Record Plant in Sausalito, California on August 7, 1973 — and into the wild, with the first live version fittingly the song’s debut on February 9, 1973 at Maples Pavilion on the Stanford University campus in Palo Alto, California where the band formed in 1965.
Some history on the song accompanying the video noted that while the form of “Row Jimmy” stayed the same, the band playing it changed. Read the full note below:
The alluring not-quite-reggae of “Row Jimmy” remained a central part of the Grateful Dead’s live repertoire from when is was introduced in 1973 to the end of the band’s touring in 1995. Through those two decades, the form of the song stayed the same, but the band playing it continued to change. The “Row Jimmy” supercut highlights changes in the band’s lineups, instrumentation, voices, and more, moving chronologically and seamlessly through 25 versions of the song.
The “Row Jimmy” supercut ends with the song’s penultimate performance on May 28, 1995 in Portland, Oregon. Listen to “Row Jimmy” played throughout the years and check out the list of performances below:
“Row Jimmy” Supercut Performances
- Demo version, Sans Souci home studio, Stinson Beach, CA
- February 9, 1973 Maples Pavilion, Palo Alto, CA
- June 10, 1973 RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
- August 7, 1973 Record Plant, Sausalito, CA
- June 28, 1974 Boston Garden, Boston, MA
- June 10, 1976 Boston Music Hall, Boston, MA
- June 8, 1977 Winterland, San Francisco, CA
- January 22, 1978 McArthur Court, Eugene, OR
- December 28, 1979 Oakland Auditorium Arena, Oakland, CA
- May 16, 1980 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
- May 11, 1981 New Haven Coliseum, New Haven, CT
- September 20, 1982 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
- October 20, 1983 Worcester Centrum, Worcester, MA
- April 17, 1984 Niagara Falls Convention Center, Niagara Falls, NY
- June 25, 1985 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY
- December 16, 1986 Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA
- March 26, 1987 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT
- July 2, 1988 Oxford Plains Motor Speedway, Oxford, ME
- July 4, 1989 Rich Stadium, Buffalo, NY
- March 26, 1990 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
- June 14, 1991 RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
- December 16, 1992 Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA
- September 20, 1993 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
- March 23, 1994 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
- May 28, 1995 Portland Meadows, Portland, OR