DJ LOGIC & DAN LEBOWITZ

DJ Logic meets Dan Lebowitz Group at Tribal Summit VI
Renowned jazz-rock turntablist squares off against local psych allstars Lebowitz (ALO), Steve Adams (ALO), Inx (Hamza Lila), Jordan Feinstein (the Ritual) plus Motion Potion & the Fringe DJs

WHAT: Tribal Summit 6 feat DJ Logic, Dan Lebowitz Group & Motion Potion
WHO: DJ Logic (www.djlogic.com), Dan Lebowitz Group (www.alomusic.com), (www.motionpotion.com)
LIVE SUPPORT: Ted Schram (tedschram.com- the Fringe)
DJ SUPPORT: Motion Potion (the Mutaytor – www.motionpotion.com), Victor Vega, Tim Dietz, Mycho Cocoa, Big Dolla (the Fringe)
WHEN: Saturday, March 10, 2007 | Doors at 10 p.m. till 4 a.m.
WHERE: Mighty | 119 Utah St @ Alameda | 415.626.7001 GENERAL INFO: www.sunsetpromotions.net
TICKETS: $15 adv. at www.sunsettickets.com

DJ Logic
DETAILS: Sunset and the Fringe bust the barriers between live and electronic music once again with Tribal Summit VI. DJ Logic one of the men most clearly responsible for the inclusion of DJs in the world of live music headlines with a two hours DJ set. He'll be joined on the bill by the Dan Lebowitz Group, Motion Potion and the Fringe Collective DJs, painters and dancers.

From hip-hop and R&B to dancehall, from the underground to the radio and back, DJ Logic spins a wide range of styles within these genres of music in a versatility relatively seen at the table. The maestro is widely credited for helping to bring jazz into hip-hop's sphere of influence. Hailing from the Bronx, he kicked off his adventures on the decks in the 1980s by playing at local community events. The next decade, however, saw him growing rapidly in stature as a pro musician. First he joined the group Eye & I, performing with such bands as Living Color and Body Count. He then hooked up with talented jazz trio MMW which laid the groundwork and subsequent fanbase for his solo career. Logic released three seminal records in a four year span - Project Logic, Anomaly, and Zen of Logic - all three garnering acclaim in the hip-hop world and beyond. Shortly thereafter, Logic surfaced alongside guitarist Vernon Reid for Front End Lifter, a fun, adventurous album the two recorded as Yohimbe Brothers. Not one to rest or stay still he continued moving forward, where he teamed up with Blues Traveler John Popper for the much celebrated John Popper Project.

Guitarist Dan Lebowitz and bassist Steve Adams have been playing together since middle school, forming a variety of groups culminating in San Francisco's own ALO. As ALO's popularity has risen to new heights, touring with Jack Johnson, and Toots & the Maytals, and selling out the Fillmore repeatedly, so has the appreciation for Steve and Dan's unique individual styles and collective chemistry. When ALO is not on tour, the two often join forces with explosive local world-funk drummer Inx (Hamsa Lila) and keyboardist Jordan Feinstein (the Ritual). Together, the four have crafted a project to stretch their conceptions of dance music; from funk to breakbeat to disco to old-fashioned rock & roll.

Singer songwriter Ted Schram is all about the fun. Concocting wacky tales of horny animals, despotic landlords and carnivorous poolsharks comes easily to a man who has been called "the Bay Area's Bob Rivers" Ted will open the evening with an hour of his signature sounds. Motion Potion has been blurring the lines of genre, audience and good taste for more than 10 years, appearing with artists as diverse as the Mutaytor, Maceo Parker, Parliament-Funkadelic and Galactic. A recent focus on merging psych funk and rock with nuschool tech breaks has seen him break new ground at places like 1015 Folsom, Mighty and the HipGenesis Parties in L.A. The Fringe Arts Collective was formed to "bring culture to the counterculture." An assemblage of Bay Area DJs, bands, live painters, visual artists and dancers, they've been seen in all the wrong places doing all the right things. The Fringe will be represented by DJs Victor Vega (electro), Tim Dietz (breaks), Mycho Cocoa (dubstep/breaks), and painters Travis Kohler, Jayme Bertolusi, and Nicole Andris.

The "Tribal Summit" series was founded by Sunset Promotions in 2001 to bring together the disparate communities that encompass the dance music scene. Past events have featured groups as varied as the New Deal, the Mutaytor, DubTribe Soundsystem, the Motet, KJ Sawka, and DJ Wolfie.

[Published on: 2/9/07]

Comments

torn&treyed Thu 2/8/2007 01:13PM

anyone know when project logic is coming back... they were sick

cuttyfives Thu 2/8/2007 01:23PM

LOGIC IS THE SHIT

JambandsSuck Thu 2/8/2007 01:26PM

nathann Thu 2/8/2007 01:49PM

JambandsSuck, your a meathead! do you really think that your comment is any way accurate?? its retarded? yes i would pay more than 30 to see plenty of dj's spin and do there thing... i'm sure the mixes and samples that logic puts together are well worth 30 dollars, weak response

JambandsSuck Thu 2/8/2007 02:07PM

I played a CD in my car today. I guess that must make me a mucic artist.

Jamayka Thu 2/8/2007 02:53PM

there is an art to dj'ing, that's for sure. www.jamayka.com ;)

theorb419 starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/8/2007 03:16PM

theorb419

JambandsSuck-
You are a tool.

JambandsSuck Thu 2/8/2007 03:27PM

TOOL ROCKS!!!

phunkle Thu 2/8/2007 03:52PM

phunkle

I have no doubt that Logic is very talented, and yes dj'ing is a form of artwork. Got to see Logic twice w/ Popper Project and it was hard to pick his sound out of the mix both times. I think a dj adds more to a jamband sound in studio more than seeing them live, but maybe that's just me. Of course, the flip is that jambands are much better live.

freekfreely Thu 2/8/2007 04:12PM

Jordan Feinstein is a douch bag

ganjjjj starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/8/2007 05:56PM

ganjjjj

Logic did some cool stuff with MMW, check out Combustication. In those cases you could say he's playing an instrument, where is the line really? Although I think a straight DJ set is kind of a waste of money. Yes it's a talent but not neccessarily one that I'd pay to see when I could be spending the money seeing Chick Corea or Bill Frissel. This looks like a little more than just a straight DJ set at least.

joshmillerphoto Thu 2/8/2007 07:20PM

joshmillerphoto

freekfreely,
You spelled "douche" wrong, you douche bag.

Chris starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/8/2007 07:28PM

Chris

for anyone who thinks being a turntablist isn't an art form: try to bust it out like logic, and you'll see EXACTLY how much talent it takes to do what he does. much respect to him and any others in his ART FORM that keep it as real as he does. later days.

jalew Thu 2/8/2007 07:34PM

jalew

yeah...point taken but..

#1 - I actually appreciate Logic's work. From MMW to Popper to Christian Mcbride to his last solo album (Zen of Logic) on Ropeadope. It's all good. I mean come on...it CAN'T be easy making music on stage with such unique and accomplished musicians like Popper and MMW; all who have extremely unique sounds. Especially with a needle and a record.

With ALL that said, I don't think ANYONE, including Logic, would compare his music or accomplishments with those of Corea or Frisell. Come on bro.

#2 - Dude, I can find a DJ set going down most nights of the week within miles from my pad. Most of those are $5 or less.

I see Frisell, Corea, Metheney, Branford, Rollins and the rest of them EVERY TIME I get a chance.

Those shows are rarelyless than $50.

#3 - This is not a "straight DJ set". This is a gathering of musicians dedicated to improvisational f'in goodness for the head. It's a cosmafunkindoosoup for the soul.

This aint your mama's Tribal Summit VI!

jalew Thu 2/8/2007 08:28PM

jalew

nice. cactus licking cactus!

EVILFUNKS starstarstarstarstar Thu 2/8/2007 08:59PM

EVILFUNKS

Yeigh! Very Fierce !!!

carphishhead starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/9/2007 10:54AM

carphishhead

I'd give my right arm to see a full MMW & Logic show again.

Seeing him in the Silent Disco tent at roo was great

vanreever1 starstarstar Fri 2/9/2007 11:41AM

DJ'ing versus playing instrument. Quite an interesting debate. Both take skills no doubt. However, after messing with turntables for 4 yrs or so and playing a bass for one I would have to say that a musical instrument such as a guitar takes more overall skill. Don't get me wrong, as a DJ you must possess a vast knowledge of music in order to play a new set every gig. You definitely need good ears to sync up beats as well. An Art Form? - No doubt. I went to the 2001 Electronic music festival in Detroit and it was incredible to see the talent there. Additionally, a DJ element brought to a band that actually adds something incredible is almost unknown except for a small few who bring it. Now with that being said, I am not dissing DJ's in general, they do what they do and I think thats cool. Would I spend thirty to see just a DJ, probably not unless it included other instruments. I saw Logic with soulive in 02 and it was awesome.

Instruments are different than DJ'ing in this way. With records you already have a pre-arranged set of beats. Your real skill is to know those beats to produce a pleasant uplifting sound which people groove to. Some scratch, some beat mix with other tones from other records. Getting good at both of these skills is truly difficult by the way. With an instrument you make up the rhythm and the tones while also using your brain to find those notes and tones on a fretboard or piano or drums. So while a DJ may create wonderful music and get a crowd movin I think that the skill set required to produce it is greater in band type settings. Think about this, if your creative juices stop flowing on a record while your beat mixing, you can just let it spin for a while. If you stop playing guitar or drums, the music comes to a screeching halt. Again I am not saying that DJ's have no skills, because I know they do. Just think that bands who can play in harmony with one another is much harder than playing records.

EVILFUNK Fri 2/9/2007 12:18PM

EVILFUNK

who is 'EVILFUNKS' ????

not me...im EVILFUNK (and sometimes custiechump)

...you can fuck with my screen name all day but it only proves my theory that ideas you use NEVER origonate in your skull...the Donald Larf thing was better...proving that nobody on your end can put anything into the world that doesn not start with another persons idea.....www.phixband.com.....Im sorry america and her mighty dollar voted your band into extinction! why bring DJ Logic into it?

jambandssuck....it took me a long time to understand the DJ thing. i bet if you checked out turntablists like Q-bert you would see the high level of musicianship it takes to rip on tables. Logic is cool!

(spelling is for skoolchildren)

harryhood8 starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/9/2007 01:34PM

harryhood8

"DJ Logic doesn't even play an instrument!!!! If you want I'll charge you $30.00 to watch me play records!"

i pity you

assafjaffe starstarstarstarstar Fri 2/9/2007 03:40PM

assafjaffe

Posers suck. Don't worry E.F. someone will have to say something intelligent to pretend to be you.

Whoever posted negativity about Jordan is a real tool. He's a great player and has been nothing but kind to me and my peoples. Just one question, do you play better than him? I didn't think so, so shut the hell up.

kevinp17 Mon 2/12/2007 10:47AM

wicky wicky wicky scratch, put a needle on a record, put put put a needle on a record, wicky wicky scratch.
i'm djing

cmontymon starstarstar Tue 2/13/2007 07:31AM

Once upon a time I was quite skeptical of the DJ and his(her) purpose in music other than hip-hop. Eventually I heard a MMW show with Mr. Logic sitting in, and to my suprise, this man is a true artist. He oozes Jazz and funk from his veins. I started looking for more logic material and finally stumbled across some live Project Logic...Blown away! I love jazz and improv, Logic is all about it! So before passing judgment, give Logic a whirl - you might be pleasantly suprised...If not, you're entitled to your own opinion.
~monty~

All Loving Liberal White Guy Tue 2/13/2007 01:32PM

All Loving Liberal White Guy

when is dj logic gonna get the yohimbe brothers touring again? that album was pure sweetness.