KELLER ON SIRIUS TODAY

Keller Williams Gets "Freeky" on Jam_ON

Keller Williams
Today AT 2:00 p.m. ET Keller Williams will be featured on SIRIUS radio's Jam_ON show.

On Keller Williams' new record, Dream, almost every song features an amazing guest musician from the jamband world. Listen as he comes up to the SIRIUS Studios and performs exclusive, solo acoustic versions of these tunes! He'll also talk with his old pal Stef Scamardo about his days as a "little hippie kid with no shoes," and what the future holds for Keller and his guitar!

[Published on: 1/12/07]

Comments

NickBoeka Fri 1/12/2007 10:10AM

NickBoeka

Long live Jam-uary on Sirius. Love Jam On since I've signed on to sat radio. Bet you a hundred bucks though that Keller plays "Life", which has been getting almost a nauseating amount of playtime.

My only gripe with Sirius is the playlists....especially for Jam On. With a HUGE library of artists, live shows, and in-studio performance, I would expect to hear more songs than the same cuts from RAQ, 56 Hope Road, Keller, Duo and of'course the once-an-hour GD track. With years of growth ahead of them though, the future is bright for Jam On!! plus, Wavy crack's me up....

ufitzi Fri 1/12/2007 10:25AM

I'll ECHO that!
I'm completely w/ you, man.
JAM_ON is the reason we have 2 CIRIUS receivers, besides some time on Planet JAzz, Bluegrass stations I'm almost exclusively tuned to 17.
7PM finds me in the car sometimes at home, just sittin in the driveway and chillin!
As for the playlists, in my opinion we shouldn't here the same track more than once a week. You'e completely right. Reminds me of ""traditional" radio and the repetitiveness that could sometimes ruin a station. They have COMPLETE freedom over there song selection, so let's here some off the wall stuff, right?!
Of course, you have to wonder if part of the issue is requests, and if they're catering to them. That could explain the Keller "Life" situation. Of course, the other thing to consider is the fact that there probably is no other station that has Keller's album, so maybe in a way they're flauting it! Hope not....
In ANY case, JAM_ON BABY!!!!!
(eagerly awaiting Trey Day 3)

nfenne starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/12/2007 10:57AM

nfenne

You don't think that they play a song to death because it's in their better financial interest? As much as terrestrial radio and Sirius differ I'm sure the interworkings are very similar. Especially when it comes to inside compensation.

NickBoeka Fri 1/12/2007 11:06AM

NickBoeka

Yeah, im definitely going to agree with that statement, in some sense. I don't think that the compensation comes into play as much, compared to say Sirius 1 (pop central), but I definitely feel that there is a little "payola" type operating going on. And internal revenue has to come from somewhere, right?

What I would LOVE to see on Jam On is extended sets from OTHER artists, not just Phish. Hour of Live Phish is nice and all, but the same LIVEPHISH recordings over and over, gets a little boring (plus I've already heard all these shows). Pick an UMph's show, or a Moe set, or something else, something NEW, and spin the whole set. I'm willing to bet that the core audience listners on Sirius, and more specifically on Jam ON 17, are serious musicphiles and have a great appreciation about the music coming out of their radio, than the traditional radio listener. I still love it, I just want to see if let itself go a little bit and open it up more with the playlists.

NickBoeka Fri 1/12/2007 11:41AM

NickBoeka

Alright, show's over. here's the recap for all ya non-Sirius Listeners

Play This, Life, Freaker by the Speaker, Ninja of Love

In between songs, Keller talked a lot about making the new album and his time with Franti and Bela and getting them to take time to lay down some tracks. He commented on how he came into the scene, as a "little hippie kid" and how just getting to play a 15min set with the likes of BFFT and SCI. he also spoke extremely highly of Xavier Rudd.

I think the most interesting comments though, was his revealing that a Keller Band may be in the works, and for this summer!! He said that he would "like to enter the world of band-life" and that though he would love to talk about his (hopeful) new bandmates, he couldn't comment. (does anyone else smell a possible keller williams incident in the brew here?)

ufitzi Fri 1/12/2007 12:28PM

Wondered about additional live sets myself. Wonder if they're trying to guage the listener response to the Gone Phishin sets before they branch out and play some additional bands.

kaiserbun Fri 1/12/2007 12:38PM

I agree with the comment about the playlists on Sirius. The Jam station on there leaves the same songs in the player for weeks sometimes months at a time. When I first got Sirius I probably listened Jam On for about an hour a day. I heard the Biscuits song Pat & Dex every time. I don't really like the song anymore because of that. That's just one example, its the same with other songs. Does anyone agree with me on this? Its a jam station, someone tell Stef to change it up more. The live phish hour is pretty cool though.

overall Fri 1/12/2007 12:39PM

overall

Keller IS forming a band, and it WILL include one member of String Cheese (most likely Moseley), but it's not going to be a full-on Keller Williams Incident. Looks like Gib Droll will join, as well.

As for the hints of Sirius payola in the comments below, I doubt it happens. That said, the DJ's have a greater amount of say in the programming on Jam-On than they do on regular radio, and that could possibly create some conflict of interest problems.

Personally, I love Sirius' service. And I've found each Jam-On DJ I've met to be very friendly, kind, and sincerely interested in supporting all artists in the genre.

And I'm VERY interested in traveling to see the Keller Williams Band this summer.

phunkle starstarstarstarstar Fri 1/12/2007 01:00PM

phunkle

Thanks NickBoeka for the Keller update from the show. Def sounds like there may a Keller Incident band coming our way this summer. Think of how good those guys could be together if they played together all the time.

theorb419 Fri 1/12/2007 04:41PM

theorb419

I got an XM radio for Christmas, and, to make a long story short, it just didn't work. I'm gonna return it to Best Buy this weekend, and I was wondering if I should get a Sirius. Whaddayathink?

jerryskid315 Sat 1/13/2007 05:15AM

jerryskid315

I am going in to my third year and my reciever rarely leaves Jam On. I agree with the playlist complaints. It has gotten a whole lot better in the three years.
As far as the Live Phish goes it has been that way since I first signed on. I would love to hear them mix that up with a different band every night of the week and change that monthly maybe. It isn't like there isn't enough material out there to do it. The thing that bothers me most of all is when they play Phish in the hour before the live hour of Phish.
I hope Stef has Warren in for Valentines Day again this year.

Jam On!

stellarrstarr Mon 1/22/2007 01:15PM

stellarrstarr

Hey NickBoeka - thanks for the Keller Sirius Interview recap! Sometimes I wish I had Sirius or XM or something ... but internet radio has always been my golden ticket!

Speaking of fun things on the internet, I found this ecard on Keller's site today:

www.kellerwiliams.net/dream

and thought I'd pass it along to any other Keller fans! Yes, it has a preview of "Life" (which we've all heard a billion times), BUT ALSO has "Cadillac" - the song that Keller recorded with String Cheese. It makes my day, hope it makes your too!

peter4shizzle Fri 1/26/2007 12:16PM

peter4shizzle

get sirius because jam on 17 is the best radio station ever made. especially "gone Phishin'"

Related Goods