SUMMER CAMP STAYS PUT

Summer Camp 2006 by Brett Saul
After an enormous show of support from the City of Chillicothe and the surrounding area, Three Sisters Park reversed course and has invited the Summer Camp Music Festival back for 2007. And now Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment is pleased to announce that the Summer Camp Music Festival will be back in Chillicothe, Illinois for, at least, the next five years!

Soon after Three Sisters Park made the decision to no longer host the Summer Camp Music Festival, a grassroots effort began in the Central Illinois area amongst citizens and business-owners alike. Three Sisters Park and the City of Chillicothe received over 60 letters written on behalf of area businesses and citizens, asking them to reconsider their decision and continue to host the festival. They also received a petition in support of the Summer Camp Music Festival signed by over 600 residents of Chillicothe whose population is under 6000.

In addition to the many letters from the business community, Three Sisters Park was also contacted by an official of the OSF St. Francis Medical Center informing them that the initial letter (which caused the initial confusion) was written by a doctor and it did not officially represent the views of the hospital or its employees.

"We were so excited to see how the city of Chillicothe rallied around the festival and spoke up to keep us at Three Sisters Park," stated promoter Jay Goldberg. "Where else have you heard of a community actually rallying to 'Save' a music festival?" We have all worked so hard to develop the festival at this park, and it would have been a shame to be forced to take it somewhere else." Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment is pleased to accept a 5-year contract from Three Sisters Park and a 5-year nod from the city of Chillicothe on sound ordinance provisions.

The Summer Camp Music Festival was started in 2001 at Three Sisters Park in Chillicothe, IL. The first year's attendance was around 1,000 people and hosted around 20 bands on 2 stages over the course of two days. Since that first year, the Summer Camp Music Festival has grown to more than 9,000 attendees, hosting more than 45 bands on 3 stages over 4 days. Almost doubling the population of Chillicothe, IL, for the weekend, the concert attendees also greatly impact the local business economy of Chillicothe.

Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment is an event production and promotion company established in 1971. Producing small club-level concerts, arena level concerts, multiple-day music festivals and trade shows, Jay Goldberg Events & Entertainment truly strives to provide events and entertainment for all walks of life.

[Published on: 10/18/06]

Comments

umphreak911 Thu 10/19/2006 03:21PM

nice

slowfunk Thu 10/19/2006 05:00PM

What about all the cops??? Isn't that the real issue?

spaceface7 starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/19/2006 07:28PM

Get rid of that damn barn... Are cops the real issue?? I didn't hear any problems like wakarusa or high sierra had. Although I think cop free is the way to be, it seems as though times are changing and authority is getting paranoid about our massive parties... They don't understand that not everyone is a drug dealer, and that we are a peaceful bunch. Cops are better off keepin the peace in the real world. This should be a good time though, can't go wrong with Umphreys Keller and moe.

paulcrognale Thu 10/19/2006 08:16PM

there was no cop threat by annnnnnnnnnny means at all : ) very relaxed pure vibe

OzzieSmith starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/19/2006 10:45PM

I live in Peoria, am a big fan of Summer Camp. First of all thankyou for bringing the best thing that happens around here all year, back for another 5 years. Secondly, cops are definatley not an issue if you don't do two things. 1. Don't drive drunk, speed, or NOT WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. 2. Don't sell drugs at the festival. If you don't do those two things then you have absolutly nothing to worry about. It is a great festival, and am proud it is in my community.

toeknee420 starstarstarstarstar Fri 10/20/2006 07:32AM

toeknee420

This is the way things should be :)
Everyone benefits. We get to have fun, and the gracious hosts of areas we gather also reap the benefits. It's messed up how you have things fucked up at Wakarusa, and then things cool this. I'm just happy that someone somewhere gets it :) At the very least, we got $$$ on our side. That's kind of crazy when you think about. Heads with economic influence! If I lived in a town of 6000, and I made 75% of my yearly income in 4 days from really cool people, I'd be extremely pissed to if some burecratic shit cut me off. I know I'd bounce, fuck that :)

nanatod Fri 10/20/2006 07:37AM

"a grassroots effort began in the Central Illinois area amongst...business-owners..."

Money talks, bullshit walks. Those local motels, restaurants, etc., didn't want to lose the $ that the people who go to Summer Camp spend.

I only went once to Summer Camp, but the vibe was great, and the setting can't be beat -- the Park is beautiful, yet you're just a short drive from the City of Peoria, and a couple hours from Chicago.

Jamayka Fri 10/20/2006 08:38AM

more late nite house music djs!!!!

Lespaulman starstarstarstarstar Fri 10/20/2006 08:48AM

Lespaulman

"What about all the cops??? Isn't that the real issue?"

here's a thought. DON'T PARTICIPATE IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES!
Jesus Christ, you people sit there and bitch about cops like they have some sort of vendetta against you. Well I would too if my job was to uphold the law and you're breaking it.

oogieBwoogie Fri 10/20/2006 09:35AM

yay!! very good news! Summer camp woudn't be the same anywhere else.

"Well I would too if my job was to uphold the law and you're breaking it."

some laws are rediculus, many cops are on power trips. But yeah, as long as you keep certain things to yourself you should be fine.Just be smart about what you do and how you do it. The cops weren't a problem when I went...except I did see them beat some guy down, which was totally not cool. He really just didn't know what was going on when 2 seemingly normal guys start to put him in handcuffs (undercover cops :/ )

see ya guys at summer camp 2007!! :D

SaveTheRobots Fri 10/20/2006 10:04AM

SaveTheRobots

thats so sweet. im overwhelmed with glee! three sisters park is a great place to have summercamp. thats the most exciting thing i have heard today. Everyone just needs to watch there backs and be smart about things and they wont get caught. just have a good time FORGET YOUR TROUBLES AND DANCE.

greenheath Fri 10/20/2006 10:42AM

i have to say i hate when people say "dont participate in illegal activities" its just not the most appropriate thing to say about a friggin festival. bottom line i dont like seeing kids go down, i dont like places where government and police exploit a situation to make money, at the same time people know what they are gettin themselves into, festivals have been notorious for being on lockdown the past few years. les paulman sorry i dont mean to be rude but whose side are you on buddy??? have some love, i mean you are saying that you are a completly 100% upstanding citizen...you do nothing that might be against the law... i have to say i have a hard time believing that and if its the case good for you, you might be the first person i have ever met with that kind respect for the law!!! the past two years of summer camp i have heard a decent amount of horror stories...my friend got tasered....is that really neccessary?? plus there are tons of undercovers, who are basicly trying to trap people which i think sucks! it is a sweet spot, if you go have fun and be safe!!

ditkasdogg starstarstar Fri 10/20/2006 11:05AM

I was there in 2002 I think...the tornado/rain storm? everything was very chill that year. there were not that many cops there. umphreys barn show was free for those who didn't leave. I am glad it is staying and I hope to make it back soon.

insignia starstarstarstarstar Fri 10/20/2006 11:56AM

YESSSS!!! i was pissed it was moving away but now it stays
they place is prime for a festi, especially the main stage areana moemoemoe

Lespaulman Fri 10/20/2006 01:40PM

Lespaulman

"les paulman sorry i dont mean to be rude but whose side are you on buddy???"

For the most part I don't participate in many illegal activities and if I do and get caught, I get whats coming to me. If you choose to use drugs, drink underage, etc. then you have to hold yourself accountable if and when you get busted (God knows I did a few times). It's a known fact that festivals, whether or not it's a bike rally or mardi gras or a music festival, are overrun by people looking to party. Thats great and I'm all for that but guess what? That also means there will be police there to make sure everyone is safe. Just because it's a party doesn't mean certain laws don't apply. The police are doing their jobs. They don't make the laws, they're just paid to uphold them.
and btw, I'm not on anyone's "side" I'm just trying to prove a point.

shanky95 starstarstarstarstar Fri 10/20/2006 02:49PM

I think the point is that I expect and want the cops to keep us safe, but when that "duty" crosses the line and they harrass anyone who looks messed up and are wandering around campsites searching for the auroma of pot instead of looking for actual drug dealers and violent drunks the police officers become assholes. Horray for Summercamp tho.

beadiamondsomday Sun 10/22/2006 03:30PM

beadiamondsomday

whoever was talking about wakarusa, it too had a huge issue w/ cops seting people up. i know the law is the law but think about the type of people that are at a fest, no matter what is happenig it is a peaceful crowd, police that exploit teh siutation are bad people. if somebody gets killed or murdered a higher level comes in local and small law enforcement for the most part are bad people who love the power and probably couldn't get through college, think about it there base pay is not much. that being said the music is teh first and foremost, and there are PLENTY of shows you can party and not worry for ones you cant sacrifice a couple sets w/o partying, just drink, it will be okay, but i hear ya that police suck, fireman that is a real hero for you, but hell ya for summer camp

tayUMtay starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/21/2006 11:03AM

tayUMtay

I am so excited to hear of the Return of Summercamp 2007! Being such an intimate festival, it was wonderful to see so many familiar faces. The previous years seemed to be nothing short of successful for the festival itself and the town of Chillicothe. Despite the negative aspects, where ever people are crazy situations are bound to happen! Thanks Jay and everyone else who supported the comeback of summercamp!

barefootbeauty Wed 2/21/2007 02:32PM

Whoever made that comment about "not to participate in illegal activies" I have to say that is poor. Why do you think festivals like this exist??? GOOD MUSIC AND GOOD DRUGS!!!