PHIX TURNS 5 ON HALLOWEEN

Phix
Acclaimed Phish tribute band, Phix, will once again break out of its Colorado base for a small run of shows throughout the Southeast, highlighted by two nights at Charlotte, North Carolina's Visulite Theatre for a Halloween Costume Celebration. On Monday, October 30th, Phix will be playing their 5-year Anniversary show – 5 years to the day since the first Phix show back in 2001. On Halloween night, Tuesday, October 31st, the band will play three sets, the second of which they will be donning their version of the musical costume – something Phish made famous at their Halloween shows. That's right – you'll see a tribute band paying tribute to a band by playing a third band's music. Of course there will still be two sets of Phish favorites and fans can submit their Phantasy Setlist (which the band may play) for that night and all other upcoming shows on the tour dates page at www.phixband.com.

Upcoming Phix dates:
10.26 | George's Majestic Lounge | Fayetteville, AR
10.27 | Newbys | Memphis, TN
10.28 | Midtown Music Hall | Chattanooga, TN
10.30 | Visulite Theatre | Charlotte, NC
10.31 | Visulite Theatre | Charlotte, NC
11.02 | Smith's Olde Bar | Atlanta, GA
11.03 | Base Camp | Birmingham, AL
11.04 | Private Event | MS
11.22 | RIBCO | Rock Island, IL
11.24 | Club Infinity | Buffalo, NY
11.25 | Private Event | NY
11.26 | Milestones | Rochester, NY (Last Northeast show until April ''07)

More about Phix:
Although the jamband Phish has officially broken up, they are clearly still a hot topic with their fans. More than two years after their farewell concert (to which 70,000 fans traveled to northern Vermont to be a part of), Phish-related websites and internet forums still bustle with activity. The rumor mill regularly churns out talk of an impending reunion tour, but so far the breakup seems permanent. Meanwhile, the jamband scene flourishes with many talented and diverse bands, but none whose popularity even approaches that of Phish.

In a music scene where creativity and originality are of the highest value to the fans, a tribute band might seem out of place. But the Boulder, Colorado-based Phix has proven to be an exception to the rule. Formed in the summer of 2001, while Phish was on "hiatus," Phix started off small but quickly developed a good reputation among Phish fans. They were "discovered" by the management at Boulder's Fox Theater, and by the summer of 2002 were touring the U.S. to bigger and bigger crowds. Although Phish returned from their hiatus in 2003, they announced their official breakup in the summer of 2004, and Phix has continued to grow ever since.

The key, ironically, was to not try to be Phish. "It was obvious to us that we couldn't mirror the talents of the guys in Phish," says Phix guitarist Paul Murin. "But we could play the compositions, and we all had our own musical backgrounds to draw from. After playing together for a while, we started building our own chemistry. I think we share a lot of the same influences as the guys in Phish, which is why we are able to achieve that 'Phishy feel,' but we definitely have our own sound and unique take on the jams."

"I think that's why it works," adds Phix drummer Chris Sheldon. "The fans expect the songs to be fresh every night, and they want to see the band take chances and take songs in new directions. That has always been important to us as a band, too, and it's what makes it fun for us - there's space built into the music for our own creativity."

Breaking through to Phish's fanbase has been a tough nut to crack. People who love Phish love the unbridled creativity that the band exudes. Many of them consider the idea of a tribute band as the antithesis of what Phish stood for. "That's the paradox of the situation we are in," says Phix bassist, Brian Adams. "From our standpoint, as musicians, it's an easy decision – it's amazing music that is open to our interpretation, and a lot of people seem to get it and understand what we are doing. We don't dress up as them and act like them as is the case with a typical tribute act - this is a true tribute to the actual music and the guys who wrote it. The fact that Phish fans will come out and see what we can do with it is a tribute to how great it is."

The word is getting out - Phish bassist Mike Gordon and Phish keyboardist Page McConnell have attended Phix shows and talked with the band about the project, both expressing flattery. JamBase.com founder and former Phish fan site operator, Andy Gadiel, had this to say about Phix on his blog (gadiel.com) after catching the band in San Francisco earlier this year: "Appropriately, the evening allowed me to appreciate how special of a band Phish truly was, and I'm pretty sure that was the whole point. Phix doesn't hide their intentions. They are there to honor the legacy and give people a taste of the vibe of what those songs are all about. And they do it well. I've never heard a band cover Phish before and for the most part - these guys nail it. I especially appreciated when they improvised, took a song out there in their own special way, but with that looptidy bouncity Phish flavor."

[Published on: 10/24/06]

Comments

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/24/2006 12:39PM

Thank Goodness they are coming to Chattanooga Tennessee.
Seems we get SKIPPED by wayyyy too many bands traveling from nashville to atlanta.. Why the hell dont more stop here on the way thru?? YES we are a Class C Market, Yes, they will get paid less, but would u rather make a little money and be on stage than make no money and be in a hotel room?? Come on... Peace Ya'll

theorb419 starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/24/2006 01:48PM

theorb419

im seein em friday for my brother's birthday, and then im seeing trey the next thursday.

rhumbatumba starstarstar Tue 10/24/2006 01:58PM

Phix should use the musical costume to play their own original music.

willm1 Tue 10/24/2006 03:35PM

willm1

im interested in what these guys do ive never seen them . . .id like to go to the memphis show but its 18 and older. same reason i missed particle in memphis. boo. oh well drive by truckers play here the same night ill be there. by the way i agree with rhumbatumba they should play oringinal music for the 2nd set. will they play one of the albums phish covered or a new one??

Alex.Anastas starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/24/2006 07:32PM

Alex.Anastas

rhumbatumba :: 10/24/2006 1:58 PM ::
Phix should use the musical costume to play their own original music."

Good freakin' idea!

DJ Saturday Baxter Tue 10/24/2006 08:51PM

DJ Saturday Baxter

ive seen these guys 2 x's . they are fucking really good! sick funk for sure with some dirty clav keys and nasty rhodes. also...they are really cool guys. they totally dig phish.

the420cloud star Wed 10/25/2006 10:40AM

SPAM!

the420cloud star Wed 10/25/2006 11:25AM

pretty convienient for these guys that Phish broke up?(100% oppertunisim - a shure sign that these guys CAN NOT create) "trey has been my life for a few years" Mr. Murin told me once, about four years ago....well, Paul, if that were true you would boldly do as trey has and get your own bag! nobody liked phish music untill phish took to the road and worked hard to create interest in thier weird origional sound. it would be hard for newcomers like Phix to understand this but there was a time before you could play phish music and havea crowd show up!it was the first bunch of years of PHISHs life as a touring act! a real band! with thier own ideas! having to work for recogintion! try it, phix!

if you ask me Phish is all about the attitude that hard work can actually change the way people listen to music...the idea that it is worth taking a paycut for a matter of years while you defy all of the rules. i guess phix would not understand...if you actually have somthing to say in your music that has not been said before it is worth working hard and starting with a blank page.nothing frightens the anti-creative like having to start from scracth like Phish did.

bklynheadies Wed 10/25/2006 01:15PM

This band is an absolute joke and the people who go see them are likewise

Donald_Larf Wed 10/25/2006 01:54PM

Donald_Larf

Oh my god! A Phish tribute band? Send in the national guard! I have not been able to sleep since I have learned about these guys! I am the chief of the Jamband police! I am with you 420cloud. Such a disservice to the world huh? Would you like to join my jamband police force? You can start by licking the bottom of my shoes...then we'll see about a promotion. Where would this world be without haters?

breadloaf Wed 10/25/2006 04:27PM

While the entry by bklynheadies appears to be just a tough guy stealing some of our time (need attention much?), I admire the conviction of 420cloud (if not the actual message) and hope that I can add to the discussion by asserting that I think some suppositions have been made that need rigorous examination: First, I am amazed at the myth that these guys are making real dough; it just is not true, period. That and the fact that they have been playing Phish for longer than the Phish break kind of weakens the "Opportunist" tag. Your indication that they lack creativity is an interesting notion. Are you a musician? Do you ever play covers? Blues and jazz players of the highest order cover songs all night; Jerry not only covered songs, he collected them as gems, breathed new life into them, and shared them with us. I know for a fact that these guys have other projects; perhaps they prefer to keep their original stuff separate, personal, who knows? If we could all write such powerful music, we would probably not be posting and reading, but leading our bands to greatness. I think that one can enjoy Phix, or not, see them, or boycott; but is does not need to be personal, and assumptions can often be wrong. I'm pretty sure they do not take it nearly as seriously as some folks posting do.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/26/2006 06:08AM

crap. its good to see good bands play music some people were TOO YOUNG to experience.. Dark Star and Phix...
peace ya'll

jimcard Thu 10/26/2006 11:38AM

Breadloaf (awesome moniker),

I believe Phix started their career right in the middle of the first Phish "hiatus". So opportunity does play a part.

But at the same time, "what the hell is wrong with grabbing an opportunity when it presents itself?” Isn't this what freedom is all about?

I just flat-out love music, any and all kinds. Oh know I must be an opportunist! I will probably burn in hell but I will groove hard all the way, original or otherwise.

MIKESWIFT starstarstarstar Sat 10/28/2006 11:34AM

iT took me awhile but i came around. ITs not so bad good even. Good setlists good jams good energy good fun. Plus fuck it i need my phix

EVILFUNK star Sat 10/28/2006 03:45PM

EVILFUNK

IM THE JAMBAND POLICE! PHIX IS A JOKE! BUT NOT FUNNY...JUST A JOKE!

EVILFUNK star Sat 10/28/2006 04:10PM

EVILFUNK

breadloaf - jerry took the jazz approach to performance - the songs were vehicles for improvisation- the gravy - the meat was the improvisation. all of what jerry did was bassed on the idea that his band could play ANY peice of meterial and make it thier own - thanks for bringing JGB into the discussion they were a perfect example of a band that plays mostly covers but maintains an origional sound true to all of its members individual style - at least they did when thay had Jerry in the band!

my jazz concept - while giving a jazz performance to a seroius jazz crowd the last thing anyone wants to do is go around sounding like anyone else! if you can work a quote from another artist into your solo that is cool but find your own way to do it or you are a hack! jazz people are more uptight about this than jam people for shure.

overall - we have a gross perversion of what makes music cool as opposed to what sells! dont try to compare what this silly little money maker tribute act does to any part of jazz...thats just ignant!

these guys are clearly too lazy, uninspired, and untalented to be real artists so they take the easy road...most of the bands on this site do make less money than you think...way less...you would be suprised! its wortyh taking a paycut when you choose your intetegrity...thats why we have heard of PHISH!

if you think cover bands dont make bank you are kidding yourself!

vwphan starstarstarstar Sat 10/28/2006 04:12PM

Quit whining people. These guys are just having fun playing music. They are not Phish, nor do they claim to be. I've seen em' a few times and will try to see them anytime they are close. Keep rockin' guys....

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Tue 10/31/2006 09:33AM

well. after a 15 minute Bathtub Gin. and a 10 minute possum. and seeing my DIE hard phish phan buddies lose their marbles over PHIX, I can say that they are worth 5-10 bucks to see. they jam fresh, the vocals are solid, and every single person there was thrilled with the show.
Not one person I talked to was in any way dissappointed in PHIX. so shut up, go to a show or two, and if u dont like it, then I guess u can hear any live phish music anymore.
too bad for u.. I Liked PHIX.. peace ya,ll

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› {¬¿¬} starstarstarstar Tue 10/31/2006 09:34AM

Not one person I talked to was in any way dissappointed in PHIX. so shut up, go to a show or two, and if u dont like it, then I guess u can't hear any live phish music anymore.
too bad for u.. I Liked PHIX.. peace ya,ll

cliftonhanger420 starstarstar Wed 11/1/2006 10:58AM

if you're gonna hate than don't go see them. does all the haters feel this way about the dark star orchestra. i know they rock and every time that i've seen them, they've put on great shows. i've never seen phix, but the stuff on archive.org rocks. i say good for them. maybe they don't have original stuff and it would be a lot harder to make name for themselves as well. there are a lot of great bands out there that no one knows about, just like a lot of crap that everybody knows about. there is no real phish right now, so what better way to ease the pain by seeing a cover band. they're not selling out huge arenas, they are playing bars. i would love to go pay $10 to see a killer show.i say good for them and keep it up, especially if they got the green light from mike and page. by the way, there are people that cover phish songs as well as their own material, his name is trey anastasio, whoever compared this to JGB. This is a phish cover band, Jerry was not a Dead cover band, so that comment doesn't make sense. The Grateful Dead was one of the biggest cover bands ever, with Phish following in their footsteps.
Side note, anyone who's seen the dark star orchestra, isn't it ironic that the guys that play jerry and bob, really look and sound like jerry and bob. it would be hard to play someone else everyday, could lead to an identity crisis. i'm glad Phix doesn't go as far as trying to be dress and act like Phish. my $.02

breadloaf starstarstarstar Fri 11/3/2006 10:30AM

While it is neither my place nor my wish to defend Phix's right to exist as a tribute band (perhaps only the members of Phish have the vested authority to truly render that judgement), with more than three decades safely in the woodshed, I believe I can credibly vouchsafe for their musicianship. They are in fact quite capable, individually and as a unit. I would like to think that those who most vociferously condemn Phix for their lack of originality have a large and well-developed body of original work. Are you walking the walk, or are these visceral reactions more of the "armchair general" variety? It is a natural and observable phenomenon that the development of a musician often includes a period of emulation of a master. Perhaps Phix will ultimately use their tenure as a cover band to evelove into something different and original. Thank you to those who have contributed unique and intelligent perspective to this discussion.

breadloaf Mon 11/6/2006 05:23AM

Hey 420, in reptrospect, you are right; my comment about Garcia and covers did not really make sense. I think I was muddling covers with cover bands. Maybe I just wanted to throw some props to Jerry. Anyway, thanks for keeping me honest.

EVILFUNK Fri 11/10/2006 06:40PM

EVILFUNK

hey breadloaf - 1 (one) origional composition is all it takes to top phix! CLOWNSHOES!