TOO MUCH ROCK FOR ONE HAND

Word by: Jonathan Juliano

Umphrey's McGee :: 10.07.06 :: Electric Factory :: Philadelphia, PA

Ryan Stasik - UM by Dave Vann
The devil-horned hand signal is a giant mystery in the metal genre. Its origins are a part of many rumors that date back to not only what band started doing it first but centuries beyond that. What is known is that since the 1980s, index fingers and pinkies have been shooting up into the air for bands such as Metallica, Judas Priest, and most recently The Deftones. Knowing this, I was bewildered to see fans at the Umphrey's McGee concert not only putting up said hand sign, but they seemed to have "too much rock for one hand" as they put both hands in the air to form a super satanic devil horn.

As Umphrey's played through their first set at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia, the super devil horns just seemed to fit. While watching the band under the pink and blue cotton candy lights, I realized that Umphrey's McGee is heavier than the security guards frisking the long-haired kids at the door. Umphrey's is the edgiest and heaviest band in the scene. As the guitar solos wailed, I could hear the band's outside (meaning non-jam) influences intertwined with the music being played, which according to Wikipedia are bands such as Yes, Dream Theater, and Iron Maiden. This makes sense then as to why Lucifer possessed not only one but two hands of many of the fans, and why the band is so different than any other in the genre but still seem to be the new sharks of a jam band ocean no longer inhabited by Phish.

Jake Cinninger - UM by Susan J. Weiand
Armies of tie-dyed troops showed up to the gig uniformed in the most obscure jam band shirts they could find. Before the concert these soldiers were sitting in circles, talking, doing yoga, and waiting loyally for the six band members to take the stage while a screen showed them the upcoming Electric Factory concerts. Electric Factory must have a jam band quota to fill because in addition to a weekend including Yonder Mountain String Band one night and Umphrey's the next, they were also featuring a weekend of Medeski, Martin, and Wood with John Scofield on one night, and Michael Franti and Spearhead the very next.

The vibe in the Electric Factory that Yonder Mountain had left on Friday was picked up again after fans got up and immediately started dancing to the first song Umphrey's played, "Smell the Mitten," followed by "Plunger." "Plunger" is one of their heaviest guitar-driven songs, and if I didn't look at the crowd or know anything about the group, I would have sworn they were a new progressive rock band on their way to stardom. The combination of Ryan Stasik's intricate bass lines, and the depth of drummer Kris Myers is a large part of what gives the band their unique sound; but it's really the technically-proficient breakdowns and guitar solos that allow the Umph to rise above the majority of the bands on tour.

Umphrey's McGee by Susan J. Weiand
Following a number of remarkable exchanges, the band jumped into "Jimmy Stewart." For non Umphrey's connoisseurs, this is when the band just starts jamming on stage. I'm assuming other bands do this too, but it's quite possible that Umphrey's McGee do it best. The band is so close knit that the "song" sounded great. After years of relentless touring it should come as little surprise that the band is able to communicate at such a high level, yet every face in the crowd was clearly still surprised as fans were eating up every note and screaming for more.

The fans threw up the one-handed, and even two-handed heavy metal gestures as they danced to every song of the first set. However, Umphrey's isn't all hard; Joel Cummins' keyboard gives them an element of funk. The second set was more or less typical jam band fair, played well, but somewhat predictable. The set was all linked together and included "Wife Soup" into "E.T.I." back into "Jimmy Stewart." The hard "Jimmy Stewart" sounded excellent mixed in with the jazz overtones and funk-esque keyboard.

Coming back for the encore, Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger appeared with acoustic guitars in hand, performing "The Triple Wide" into "Can't Find My Way Home."

Although the jam ocean is no longer an environment for Phish, fans are getting by just fine with the explosion of bands that have followed. One of the bands at the forefront of this scene is Umphrey's McGee.

JamBase | Philadelphia
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 10/16/06]

Comments

The Glick Mon 10/16/2006 04:01PM

The Glick

i love this band!

mreezal Mon 10/16/2006 04:03PM

mreezal

i love umphreys but this is the gayest article ive read in a long time. must every writer talk about how phish is gone, even if phish was still around people would still love umphreys. its a completely different sound. ROCK HARD in the jam ocean umphreys, rock till the break of dawn for satan....

memphish starstar Mon 10/16/2006 05:30PM

memphish

hummmm.....if you've watched the VH1 metal month you would know the origins of the rawk hands. Also, they used the acoustics @ the end of the Triple wide. Callin the 2nd set "predictable," when the last time they played E.T.I was 04/13/06, is alittle weaksauce on your part. Also, "yet every face in the crowd was clearly still surprised as fans were eating up every note and screaming for more" does not show this predictability that you speak of.

You also do some sterotyping. "if I didn't look at the crowd or know anything about the group, I would have sworn they were a new progressive rock band on their way to stardom." So by lookin at the crowd the bands music suddenly changes and now their a jamband?

You don't need to put Phish in your article to make a point and gane credability. UM can do it on their own.

great band, weak review

jimmystewart starstarstarstar Mon 10/16/2006 05:38PM

The set II closer "Divisions" has to be a highlight of the show and there is no mention of it? I like it when UM goes heavy but like the writer says "UM isn't all hard" and Divisions is the best example I can think of to back that up. Just my opinion. See you umphreaks at the Tabby.

DigDug1810 Mon 10/16/2006 05:45PM

If you click on the persons name in the article it links to a LaSalle email address, so this person is a college student. Im sure he is working on becoming a better writer so lets cut the man some slack. Jonathan Juliano, do you have a brother Joe Juliano or are you from the south jersey region?

Anyway, Umph is a great band. I like their approach on music but feel that sometimes they could do with less jam, they are so strong on their compositions that it seems like sometimes they jam b/c the fans expect them too. there is nothing wrong with playing it as you wrote it. I think Ump is more of a prog rock band than Jam, but thats just me

chronic1 starstarstar Mon 10/16/2006 07:23PM

It was a t shirt that a fan made for red rocks lot this summer.

Erik2 starstarstar Mon 10/16/2006 07:51PM

Phish is a different band so is UM so is everyone else. There's no need to mention other bands in a review. But none the less nice comments for the boys, but I think the article is poorly written. I was also hoping that jambase would have written an article on the Filmore show instead.

The "too much rock" is from a movie, not a t shirt, I do believe, because Stasik is a perve like that:). Personally I like to use two middle fingers instead of the two outside fingers (depending if you cross the hands or not). But, oh well, I'll see ya at the Barrymore!!!

ambrosiajam starstarstarstar Mon 10/16/2006 08:45PM

i was at some umph show a long time ago and a friend said after the show "phish sucks" hahaha. but actually i saw a very hardcore 'divisions' at the rave a couple years back. it was the shit.

umph is one of my favorite bands, i love their wisconsin shows, seen like 10 of them.

spaceface7 starstarstar Mon 10/16/2006 08:46PM

73 DAYS... THE COUNTDOWN TO NEW YEARS CONTINUES. WOOHOOO!!! THE GREATEST BAND AROUND NOWADAYS!!!

umphreak911 Mon 10/16/2006 09:33PM

73 days till the throwdown of the century

Rebacreates Mon 10/16/2006 10:30PM

Chicago Represent!! Umphreys = prog rock to the max! Geddy Lee would be proud of you guys. I've seen 50+ shows and cant wait to catch 50+ more.

landoflizards Mon 10/16/2006 11:13PM

landoflizards

I will have to agree that the Umph shows in Wisco I have caught have all been exceptional performances. I also think that Phish not only has nothing to do with Umphrey's much less this review...I agree that we should keep bands seperate and not constantly be weighing them against one another. This article did not go in to too much detail about the show or the songs they played...kinda weak...

Matthew Jaworski starstar Tue 10/17/2006 06:19AM

Matthew Jaworski

Ok, we get it. Umph is the new Phish. Enough already. Like everyone else, I'm sick of seeing Phish mentioned in Umph articles. I'd expect it in newspapers or magazines, but anyone reading jambase knows the score.

And I'm still pissed that I couldn't make this show cuz none of my wussy Philly friends could make it. Can't wait for NYC, though.

Umph is the truth.

blower star Tue 10/17/2006 09:30AM

Man I could hardly make it past the first sentence of this article. That devel-horned hand signal is from Angus Young of AC/DC. Go check out the cover to "Highway to Hell" or the back of "Let there be Rock". Do a little research before you spend half the article with your foot in your mouth. Keep on track man!

Dizon311 star Tue 10/17/2006 11:10AM

Dizon311

Bullshit.
I been there from the beginning of Umphreys.. empty shows all around Chicago at the start and now they sell out shows around the county. They are children of the 80's, influences of rock is obvious in the songs. By no means are they concidered metal or hard. Phish opened alot to children of the "dead parents" who pushed there musical lifestyle on the young. We didnt have the dead, we had phish. Phish is gone, but it will be back. QUIT COMPARING THE YOUNG TO THE DEAD! we are completely different. Umphreys is a JAM BAND because... just listen! Umphreys, Moe., Cheese, Panic, Younder are all different but all have an influence of everything before them. SHIT!
this story is frustrating cause they are phish fans. they used to play after there shows at Deer Creek back in the day. But by no means can we compare them to Phish. I see all differnt music to get everything I need. EMOTIONS! Music is amazing.. who ever wrote this knows nothing about the jam band sceen cause you cant compare one to another. its just crazy...

fsu420 starstar Tue 10/17/2006 11:59AM

theyve got a lot of work to do before they need to be compared to phish.... while i dont think that was really done too much here, i still hate to see the two names appearing in the same article

okalrightic star Tue 10/17/2006 12:30PM

this review is awful. i was at the show, second set was far from predictable (it actually kicked the shit out of the first set). Umphrey's is the best band in the world, no questions at all about that. I agree, i love phish, but keep them out of my umph

Flyingbird73 Tue 10/17/2006 12:45PM

Flyingbird73

I'm just shocked Ronnie James to-the Dio hasn't logged in to make his (more than occasional) claim to being the originator of the "devil horn" phenomenon. UM rocks, fuck yeah.....

blower starstar Tue 10/17/2006 01:35PM

Flyingturd-It was not Dio, and it was not a phenomenom, but a marketing gimmick, by AC/DC in 1976. Dio was not even in fucking Black Sabbath,yet. I have never heard anybody even talk about something so stupid other than you and the author of this crappy article. If you don't know shit about the history of rock and roll, STFU and talk about UM instead. I certainly would not go see UM based on this review. UM does rock and deserves better than this article.

It is amazing that the idol worshipping teenagers compare everything to Phish, but then get pissed when someone else does.

Lemagnifique66 star Tue 10/17/2006 01:37PM

Umphrey's is not even compariible to Phish and is not even the best band on the scene. I'd take either Panic or Bisco over Umphrey's in a second.

mjmatthe Tue 10/17/2006 02:28PM

"dominate" is not the right word to describe their popularity, they do not, whatsoever, dominate the jam band scene right now

Rebacreates Tue 10/17/2006 02:50PM

All in favor that think Lemangnifique is a douch, say "I".

Bencident starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/17/2006 03:00PM

I

Bencident starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/17/2006 03:13PM

Gene Simmons claims that invented the devil horns. He said that he would hold his hand up to the crowd while holding his bass pick in his hand with his thumb and two middle fingers. I don't care one way or the other that's just what he says.

Also.....Um is definitely a "progressive rock band" that happens to fall under a "Jam band" label because of the bands they cite as influences and the people who dig their music. But if the term Jam Band didn't exist (which it shouldn't) then they would be a Progressive band by label.

Jambands: String Cheese, Panic, Umphrey's, Galactic. They sound nothing alike why should we use the same term to describe all of them.

barrett Tue 10/17/2006 03:25PM

barrett

um mgee has grown on me , they kill it...

( and there a jam band because they jam .. improv)
who ever said that...

okalrightic Tue 10/17/2006 04:14PM

I...Bisco sucks major balls

dgoegan starstarstarstar Tue 10/17/2006 04:21PM

dgoegan

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

honeypile starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/17/2006 04:35PM

gotta say this show changed my unresearched biased views on the band.... ill see them any time there around from now on....

this article forgot to mention the sweet boys to men motown philly homage

anyway i was one of the yoga dudes as well as the dollar sunglasses guy in the lot if that chick that was doin yoga with me reads this ... thanks for the stretch.

matp starstar Tue 10/17/2006 04:41PM

matp

UM is by far the best in the jamscene rite now, no doubt abt it. I was there and this article wasnt even close to what went down. ive seen them abt a dozen times and they are never predictable, thats what i luv.

thraner starstar Tue 10/17/2006 04:58PM

Does anyone but me notice that the double-fisted devil deal or whatever looks a lot like a giant U? As in Umphrey's? That's what I think the deal is.

jonwhoas Tue 10/17/2006 05:41PM

for the record i am the writer of this article and i didn't say that the second set was predictable, the editor threw that in, what i said was it was more like a jam band type of set than a progressive rock set, i loved the second set, and i was only comparing um to phish b'c theres only two bands phish and the dead, everyone else are gonna be compared to them, phish was compared to the dead and i firmly believe umphreys along with keller and string cheese and michael franti are the new generation of jam and they will be compared to phish

i know its elitist and pretentious to comment on my own article but there i said it

Adam T.s. Tue 10/17/2006 06:19PM

Adam T.s.

Why is everyone such an expert when it comes to criticizing articles? Who cares if someone compares UM to phish, or Jesus Christ, or satan, or the Damn Easter bunny! It's just someone's thoughts on a show and band. Umphrey's rules!

mandobird starstarstar Tue 10/17/2006 08:12PM

mandobird

UM will melt your face off again and again, see you all in madd-town
Peace

Hotchkiss Wed 10/18/2006 01:01AM

Hotchkiss

i

hatfieldsbro star Wed 10/18/2006 06:54AM

when it all comes down to it......we all know JIMMY HERRING is taking panic to the top again!!!!!widespreadmothafuckinpanic

eddieeast starstarstarstar Wed 10/18/2006 08:52AM

Umphrey's is awesome. The Philly show was a good show to catch. Where's the love for Andy Farag in this article??? ;) Best percussionist out there!!

sammay Wed 10/18/2006 09:33AM

i cant stand umphreys. comparing them to phish or even relating their style to them is an insult.

HOPEFULPHAN starstar Wed 10/18/2006 09:48AM

um is hands down the best band out there rite now!!

umphrick starstar Wed 10/18/2006 10:01AM

As a first time poster, I hope people don't take this the wrong way. First let me say that Umph is the shit. period. since the first show I saw (library,oxford,MS 9-14-04)they had me. There has not been one day that has gone by since then that I have not listened. I cannot figure out why they still have not exploded yet. which leads me to my post question- with sooo much talent and creativity and drive and humility, and with all the growing legions of fans across the country and around the world, and after reading all the articles of positive comment about how they bring it EVERY night, how com they are only at the level that they're at? I'm wondering if mainstream media will EVER LET them explode!

Rainking04 Wed 10/18/2006 10:36AM

wow i can't believe people are buying into this
"There were only two bands" what the hell does that mean???Of course I know what you mean but that doesn't make it any less rediculous. And where are bands like tDB and Sound Tribe in this conversation who obviously have just as big of followings and who explore just as much new musical territory than UM and definitely more than Michael Franti or Keller Williams. As a journalist I would say you might want to think about looking at things a little more objectively or else your going to get bashed or deserve to get bashed for every article you write. seriously

mushhead starstar Wed 10/18/2006 11:09AM

Ihave to ask this reviewer if this is the first jamband he has ever seen? I've been to hundreds of shows(dead phish abb sci moe etc...) but to read this jerks comments about the dancing lightshow and jamming at UM shows is pathetic!!! iwas at the worcester show a couple nights later - no one was dancing the lights sucked, the setlist was weak (no surprises for a real fan.)is there any show yet this year they dont play jimmy stewart. wake up people this is not a new jamband !10+ yeARS TOGETHER and not getting any better. Don't compare 4-piece bands to 6-piece bands. but if you like prepie mid-westerners and making devil signs and playing air guitars and 80's rock or repetitive noodling enjoy!

hambone Wed 10/18/2006 11:19AM

UM is good, and getting better. Until they can attract a crowd of 70,000+ to Northern Maine, Florida, NY with no other bands playing there is no comparison. I'm into moe, cheese, keller, UM, Bisco, ect. It takes all of those bands together, plus many more to attract an audience of that size. Imagine if the hiatus ended at Bonaroo 02' instaed of NYE @ MSG. There would have been well over 100K The place would have been out of control. I always found it pretty impressive that 4 dudes from VT could attract that many people for a weekend of music, by themselves. Is there anyone in the mainstream that could pull that off? Probably not. I got to expreience the end of the Dead 90-95. Highgate 95 drew close to 80K. That being said there is NO one in this generation of music, that will ever compare to Phish. Period. Not just an opinion but a fact. To be honest I hope I'm wrong. I hope someone can gain the "stuff" that Phish had. It would be great to be part of something like that again. I'm not holding my breath......

Erik2 star Wed 10/18/2006 11:25AM

hahahahahahahahahaha. I don't know which is worse at this point, the article or all the reviewers?? Most of you people are full of it. I'm going back to the bort to listen to more stupid people talk about how cool they're favorite band is. Bottom line if you don't like it, don't go, if you do, go. I'm going, so the hell with everyone else.

panicattack2 starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/18/2006 12:04PM

Jerrys dead/ Phish is out of the bowl Umphreys rock! dont you people have anything else to do like swim in a pool full of raw puppy, bunny, kitten, chipmunk meat! Hippies suck

kvoelkel Wed 10/18/2006 12:27PM

kvoelkel

all who yonder are not lost!

guinnesspower500 starstar Wed 10/18/2006 12:29PM

UM + NYE = ROCK OUT. I think the article fails to describe the real vibe, the real energy that UM has and continues to provide night after night.

kellerisafeller Wed 10/18/2006 12:47PM

kellerisafeller

UM rocks i agree with jimmystewart Divisions = "The Shit"

tzolkin13 starstarstarstar Wed 10/18/2006 02:42PM

Sorry but if we're talking about comparison and the passing of torches then it has to go...

Dead > Phish > STS9

Um's music does not really have the soul that the others do.
Don't get me wrong though I love Umphrey's.

funkis star Wed 10/18/2006 03:14PM

First off Jambase i really think you need to get some new people writing for you. The last 5 storys i've read are al opinionated bullshit. It's like theses people know nothing about the bands there writing about. All of these bnds are different in there own way. some are good some flat out suck and are getting worse as the years go bye. UM though is getting better I just saw the Fox and The Fillmore shows and they were truly amazing best UM shows i've seen in 5 years. as to Phish the dead and all that other bullshit, there done who cares no one can compare to either one of them. MOE. has been together for almost 20 years and they've been playing the same setlist for the last 10, if i ever hear another plane crash i might have to pray i'm in one sometime. As for th Biscuits, your slackers this is the first U.S. tour since 2003 playing 5 or 6 shows a year isn't gonna get you anywhere, and all it is anymore is repetative trance shit, what ever happened to songwriting like Jamilia, or betty boop, repetative trance will get you know where. as for STS9 theres just other people out there doing the same thing ONLY BETTER, Lotus and The New Deal, tear STS9 apart. the fact is theres nobody out there who is on top right now it's been up for grabs since Aug. 15 2004 and no one has yet stepped up to the challenge. My moneys on Umphrey's though!

fordaj starstarstarstarstar Wed 10/18/2006 03:34PM

I would rather shit nails out my ass for twenty hours then have to listen to umphreys mcgee.

mr2bits Wed 10/18/2006 04:14PM

You guys sound like a bunch of old men debating "Who is the greatest boxer of all-time" at a barbershop. Seriously, if your idea of a good time is making sure everyone knows your guys are "the best", you'd make better use of your time by attending sporting events. Its sad for me to admit this, and I dare not mention names for fear of starting a flame war, but there are groups I have decided never to see based on the smugness of their fans. In short, if a group is so "sick" that you feel the need to compare everything else you hear to them (or put other bands down), you can have them all to yourself as far as I'm concerned.

jimmystewart Wed 10/18/2006 07:00PM

mushhead, if you don't know what your talking about I suggest you don't talk because your comments are ignorant and foolish. If no one in the band is over 30 that means they are young (and they have not been together 10 years anyway, Jake joined in 2000). A dumbed down definition for a "Jimmy Stewart", is a jam (different each time), thats why it is on all the setlist. Also, UM is not a noodle band.

Johnnycobba starstarstarstar Thu 10/19/2006 04:01AM

Why is there so much bashing going on, its peoples own prefernce of what music gets them groovin. I agree that the satanic symbol just stands for a U for Umphrey's i dont think people are trying to say this band is a dark metal band. For me personally i love everything they bring to the table...growing up listening to punk and other hardcore music ive refined my taste in music and started to find the talent in bands and appreciate that more, phish, GD, WSP, cheese, ect but Umphreys brings something else to the table, ROCK. I want a band to span genres and keep things fresh. and thats what they do, from acoustic songs to hardcore wailing of there inturments they keep you wanting more. Them and Ween are two of the best bands out there and thats my opinion b/c those are the two bands that get me moving. I let my body tell me what i like and dont like and thats how im gonna continue to do it.

Dnugget Thu 10/19/2006 07:30AM

HEY KNUCKLEHEADS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was I the only person to see, chat & chill with

MIKE GORDON ! The bass player from PHISH.

after the show he was standing in the sloted wall by the

bar steps comming down. A friend pointed it out to me and I

was pretty buzzed, no one else seemed to notice, or know

who he was so I just walked up and leaned up against the
wall next to him and said what's up Mike !

Then I realized I couldn't let my boy JIMMY D. miss this

so I told Mike I had to grab my friend, and to wait right

there. Star struck I backed away slowly, looking at him

not wanting to take my eyes off him, and I'm like

wait right there. And he said OK I'll be "right here"

and I'll be dammed he was right there when I got back, a

girl was getting a picture with him, and she seemed to be

the only one who noticed who he was. He was shorter then me

at 5'9. He said he just came in time to catch the encore,

but it was good. I asked him waht he was doing in town,

and he said practicing, and I said with who, and he smirked

and I cracked a smile, and just said what are you doing

tonight, he said where's the party, then I offered to bring

him back to Schwenksville ???

Then as I said I was a little buzzed, I shook his hand

and gave hima masculine half hug & a pat on the back!

THAT WAS THE HIT !!! An Awesome ending to an awesome

show , that everybody should be able to enjoy, and just

know if you are an opionated, snobby music listener,

you will probably miss out on HEADY stuff like this,

just because your musical paths , DARE NOT CROSS !

to quote the timeless Ghostbusters, " Whatever you do

don't cross streams "

Peace Love & Big Spliffs

Dnugget

I swear this is an accurate account !!!!!!!!

barnylee Thu 10/19/2006 09:48AM

barnylee

Saw Umphrey's twice this year, with the Bridge opening up for them. They got a great thing going. Awesome musicians...doing all the right things to make it big...For those that keep saying they're "the best," watch out for the Bridge!

HOPEFULPHAN starstarstarstarstar Thu 10/19/2006 10:39AM

so dnugget where was this mike encounter? at the um show last nite or the trey show????

jackiesoup Thu 10/19/2006 10:56AM

Thank you for the Umph. Drove down to Buffalo to see them from TO. If I didn't have a career, I would see more. Love their music,their albums and feel they deserve the recognition that they are getting.I'm just as thrilled to have discovered them as I was as a little kid discovering Zeppelin, Beatles, Dylan, the Dead, Floyd, Zappa, Marley, etc.
Thanks UMies.
(Please no more panic ;b )

Bencident starstar Thu 10/19/2006 04:51PM

Johnwhoas: It isn't elitist to comment on your own article it's amateur.

UMPHREY'S is by far the Hottest thing around and I don't think anyone can stop them. They may hit the main stream before you know it. Whether it is the antithesis of what "Jam Bands" are all about or not, they fuckin' deserve it.

tnfreaker starstar Thu 10/19/2006 05:11PM

Its pretty commonly known that Ronnie James Dio came up with the devil sign/heavy metal hand, dumbass.

spaceface7 Thu 10/19/2006 08:09PM

Why are phish fans so snobby? My first and last phish shows were aug.14 & 15 and I'm kinda glad I missed the boat cuz you guys sound like 4th graders. **FUCK MAINSTREAM MEDIA**
Umphrey's has to stay on the underground. Keep building that loyal fanbase that they already have.

Dnugget Fri 10/20/2006 06:48AM

The Mike encounter was at the Umphree's Show !

HOLLAR AT MIKE !!!!! It was the HIT !

Happy Hollarween !

nfenne Fri 10/20/2006 01:23PM

nfenne

Why does there have to be a KING of the jamband world? I think the diversity is what makes it cool. UM brings the hottness and it's in such a different way than everyone else on the scene. LONG LIVE ROCK!

amazingbobby Sat 10/21/2006 10:21AM

amazingbobby

Saw UM last night in Chico. Good show. As a Dead/Phish/SCI fan, I'm not going to make comparisons. IMO, the show had some awesome moments, and some of the jamming was great. UM is a bit quirky for me. Definetely worth seeing, my third UM show, and I would go again. Have they been watching a bit of Metal Mania?

toomuchmetalfred Sun 10/22/2006 12:52AM

toomuchmetalfred

I Love it. These guys ROCK. But here's the real story about too much rock for one hand. The t shirt, the stickers and the dude who made it his passion. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=58031

JakeMarfoglia Sun 10/22/2006 08:26PM

Who the FUCK is comparing Sound Tribe to the New Deal?
Sector 9 builds very harmonic, melodic layering and gets into tripped out glitchy jams. New Deal is more house/techno based and wayyyy more minimalist. The only similarities are that they play "electronica" live.

hambone Tue 10/24/2006 05:09PM

Hey Spaceface7 "Why are phish fans so snobby? My first and last phish shows were aug.14 & 15 and I'm kinda glad I missed the boat cuz you guys sound like 4th graders" You said it perfectly, but probably not the way you intended..... It's people like you that make all the hurt of 8/14-8/15 04 come flodding back. I missed the show. Wasnt gonna ditch the RV and walk. After 60+ shows that started when you were in 4 grade. You made it and I didn't, but to then talk the kind of shit that you are...........You need to suffer. You have called upon BAD KARMA! You know nothing

dplourde19 starstarstarstar Tue 10/24/2006 05:32PM

dplourde19

If you're heading to Madison for the Nov. 2, 3rd shows, don't miss the after-party with Run Side Down at Mr. Robert's, only 100 feet from the doors of the Barrymore. See you there!

DaveT Fri 10/27/2006 10:22AM

DaveT

I agree, how can you possibly compare Umphrey's to the fish? They actually practice...That's like comparing the fish and the dead, or the dead and the fish. I guess I am just saying the phish is dead. Remember when phish practiced... wow! Let it go. It was hella fun. It will NEVER be the same...practice or not. Go to Umphrey's site for free podcasts...che, che, che, che, che, che...check'em OUT! Wha, wha, wha, wha, wha..what'sit ABOUT! The future is now. BTW- Mike who?

kwsciwpymsb starstarstarstarstar Sun 10/29/2006 08:27PM

kwsciwpymsb

schmidt420 starstarstarstarstar Tue 10/31/2006 12:16PM

are the after parties of the barrymore shows 21+? and are they both nights or what?

DANKind Wed 11/1/2006 06:14PM

DANKind

umphrey's went of hard as fuck at the avalon in l.a. such a sick show and then a couple of days later fucken raged it hard at the house of blues in anahiem.

rmbray Wed 11/1/2006 09:20PM

The best band in the world is definitely Young Jeezy. He is like the next Phish, but with Jerry's soulful voice. He can flow like Michael Kangs fingers on a mandolin. I mean, who listens to UM anyway? If they had Dr. Dre up on stage with them, they would be like Gods of music. Then all of you would worship them. But don't take my word for it. Rumor has it that Jeezy and Dre AND EVEN ELVIS will be performing with them on NYE. NO F#CKING WAY DUDES. I think Umphrey's is the best band in the world and if i had the chance i would give them all head and give them my firstborn child becuase they can play their instruments soo well. I mean, it only makes sense to give your children to who we worship. I was an atheist, but i changed my religion to UMPHISM after I saw them in concert. I now know who created the universe...UMPHREYS MCGEE!! O'DOYLE RULES!!!!

traffic starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/7/2006 08:55PM

traffic

Umphreys is the best in the biz. Love the fact that the whiners and kids who spin in the back can't take the intensity. Leaves more dancing space for the true music fans. The songs they cover are an example of the wide range of genres they pull from. Talking Heads, Fugazi, King Crimson, fucking Flock of Seagulls! They are the the most technical band out there as well, and never put on a bad show. No place I'd rather be then an Umphreys show. West coast run kicked ass boys, see you at New Years.