THE FLAMING LIPS: BEST SHOW EVER?

Words by Jonathan Zwickel :: Images by Dave Vann

The Flaming Lips & Ween :: 07.22.06 :: Greek Theatre :: Berkeley, CA

I knew from the first note of the first song that this was gonna be the best show I had ever seen. And from there it only got better.

The Flaming Lips :: 07.22
Years of show-going and hundreds of concerts have given me the degree of experience to assuredly say something I've never said before. The Flaming Lips are the best thing going in live music right now – the most inspired, most inspiring, most ridiculous, most profound, most musical, most theatrical. And their Greek Theatre show found them at their best.

You want examples? Like any moment of transcendence, it's tough to enumerate just what made the whole thing so freakin' wonderful. It was far more than just music, I can tell you that. But I'll start by talking about Ween.

Gene Ween :: 07.22
Still don't get 'em. So much talent, so little to say. Some would argue they possess a Zen-like quality inherent to any totally shamelessly goofball display of virtuosity. There's another potpourri four-piece who for years noodled goofily across genres and gained a rabid following doing so. People say it's all about the music, or the meaning is in the meaninglessness - to "surrender to the flow," which is fine, if that's all you're after. But there's more to life than music.

Halfway through Ween's opening set at the Greek, my friend Fi keeled over, a victim of too much heat and not enough water. We hauled her to the clinic at the side of the stage where medics immediately took care of her. She came to and was fine moments later, but there we were backstage while Ween was raging and lead Lip Wayne Coyne was watching from the wings. Another friend walked over to him and mentioned that Fi was so excited to see the Lips that she straight passed out. "Really?" he said, and then he went to where she was laying on the clinic's cot. He knelt beside her attentively, and they spoke for a few moments until she convinced him she was fine. He left telling her to "always have fun" while Fi was astounded at how lucky she was.

The Flaming Lips :: 07.22
Wayne Coyne gets it. Thanks to our encounter with him, it was obvious he gets it before he even stepped on stage. He's a musician who's concerned with more than just music. He's a humble entertainer who orchestrates epic experiences – a celebration of music and art and life and death – so that you and I can have a singular, day-glo memory to carry around with us.

"When you go home tonight, I want you to tell your friends that I descended from the sky above the crowd in this space bubble," Coyne said from center stage, his band behind him waiting to start the show. "It's ok, you can lie." It had just gotten dark and the Lips hadn't even begun, but already Coyne was arranging the post-show story of seven thousand people at the Greek. He squeezed inside his inflated, clear plastic beach ball and wafted out over the crowd's outstretched arms. The audience went wild as Coyne stumbled and rolled over their heads, making it back to the stage just in time for the first notes of the first song – the triumphant "Race for the Prize." Surrounded by 25 or so of my closest friends, San Francisco lights twinkling across the Bay, perfectly cool night air wrapping it all together, I was totally sure after mere seconds: Best. Show. Eva.

The Flaming Lips :: 07.22
Sure, the space bubble is a gimmick, like the confetti cannons, dancing Santas, smoke machines, balloons, and hand puppets. Just for a minute, you'd think maybe that would get old, watching the same set and seeing the same toys every show. Which is funny, because only music fans who (like me) have heard 50 versions of "Piper" or can articulately critique the guitar solo of "Chilly Water" – who are basically spoiled by their total immersion into musical variety – could ever think of getting bored by the Technicolor spectacle that is the Flaming Lips.

And sure, Coyne didn't have the best singing voice and Steve Drozd didn't take 10-minute solos, but man, their baroque wacko-pop electro-rock sounded amazing. The music incorporates a palette of sonics heard nowhere else – altered guitars, subsonic bass, gorgeous melodies. From songs about career-driven scientists, kung-fu robot killers, and alternative breakfast condiments arose the unifying themes of life overcoming death, love beating complacency, going out and doing something instead of staying home and not. The Lips sang of humanity versus larger, ambiguous menaces – a powerfully resonant modern message – and made the case that our humanity is ultimately our greatest power. "Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?" Yeah, I'm looking around at all my friends and thousands more who do realize, right now, that this is all we have, and we realize just how good it is. And we're all that much stronger because we do.

It's a lot to take away from a 90-minute show, but the Lips pack in way more joy than your average band. It was nice seeing bassist Michael Ivins getting to play with some of Coyne's toys; he donned rubber hands the size of boogie boards for the finale. I could tell you the set list, but it's sorta irrelevant. I think the Lips would be the first ones to tell you that it was more than the music that made the night so spectacular. It was all of us in it together making a memory that's still as bright as it was three weeks ago. I keep meeting people who were there, and we keep agreeing. If there is a modern rock 'n' roll hero, it's Wayne Coyne, and if there's gonna be a B.S.E., this is it.

JamBase | Berkeley
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 8/9/06]

Comments

toestothenose starstarstarstar Wed 8/9/2006 03:29PM

toestothenose

Zwickel - I dug your take on the Lips. I agree along w/ Ween, The Black Crowes, My Morning Jacket - The lips are giving one of the best live performances going.

Ween for me is like dirty sex with my GF. After were done we lay back all sweaty, stinking of sex, but really f'in satisfied. After I've seen Ween rock I feel the same way -sweaty, stinky and satisfied. Ween is hot, sweaty, nuts rock!

fiveb4funk star Wed 8/9/2006 04:15PM

I disagree (read: my opinion). I knew from the 1st three sentences that I was not going to agree with this review - at all.

I saw the Lips (w/Theivery Corp - who outshined the Lips by a million) at the Hollywood Bowl on 7/23. The set was really short and plagued with Wayne basically begging for everyone to make noise - afterall, they were filming a DVD. My main issue was that the show was one of the most stunning visual concerts I have ever been to. Which is fine. But with me, personally, I go to shows for the music first and the theatrics much, much later. The Flaming Lips live show is all visuals, confetti, santas & aliens, and theatrics - but that's pretty much it. I don't think their music is anything extraordinary and I don't think I would ever go see them again. I wasn't looking for the most remarkable set of music ever out of them, but I thought they were mediocre at best. Remember, this is my personal opinion.

mchealey starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/9/2006 05:14PM

The show was good but did you get hit in the head by that space bubble? This is however the best coverage of a pretty good show EVER!

paxe23 star Wed 8/9/2006 06:57PM

I THOUGHT WEEN BLEW THE LIPS OFF THE STAGE PURE ENERGY
WHERE AS THE LIPS ARE BORING BORING BORING THE ONLY TIME I STOOD WAS DURING "SHE DON'T USE JELLY" THEY SIMPLY DON'T ROCK AT ALL JUST A BUNCH OF SPECIAL EFFECTS AND TRICKS HAD THE FEELING OF AN IMPERSONAL SHED SHOW IS IT LIVE OR ARE WE WATCHING THE DVD ? GOOD RECORDS VERY OVERATED LIVE SHOW
I CONSIDERED WALKING OUT SEVERAL TIMES I WAS SO BORED
IF I HADN'T GOTTEN A FREE TICKET I WOULD HAVE BEEN REALLY LET DOWN BUT S IT IS WEEN IS THE BEST BAND I'VE SEEN ALL YEAR !! BEST SHOW EVER ? MARS VOLTA LAST JUNE AT THE GREEK
A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THAT PHONY WAYNE COYNE
JONATHAN YOU NEED TO GO TO MORE SHOWS, THIS WASN'T EVEN THE BEST SHOW AT THE GREEK IN JULY
I'D RANK IT THIRD BEHIND MANU CHAU AND WIDESPREAD PANIC LET ALONE ALL THE GREAT DEAD ,PETER GABRIEL,TALKING
HEADS,RAMONES SHOWS HELD AT TTHE GREEK OVER THE YEARS .
BEST SHOW EVER JONATHAN ?YOU MUST HAVE BEEN BORN YESTERDAY
AND STILL BE IN DIAPERS OR MAYBEE A PAID EMPLOYEE
GOD WEEN SATAN !!! FUCK THE FLAMING LIPS

bbcfm Wed 8/9/2006 08:03PM

I like the Lips, but if you've seen em' once you seen em'. It's the EXACT same show night in and night out. Ween on the other hand changes things up every night. No gimmicks, just all out fuckin' rawk.

G$Love Wed 8/9/2006 09:14PM

G$Love

Greatest JamBase comment ever?:

"Ween for me is like dirty sex with my GF. After were done we lay back all sweaty, stinking of sex, but really f'in satisfied."

Great quote.

mackaka starstar Wed 8/9/2006 09:17PM

I agree that the Lips put on one of the most creative, unique shows out of any bands playing today, but best show ever????? Sure, the spectacle is fun, but tons of other bands are more musically talented than FL, and that's what I look for in a show.

Also, in my opinion, Wayne Coyne's voice really brings down the band's live performance. After editing in the studio it sounds allright, but hearing him sing live is almost painful.

BryanWalk starstar Wed 8/9/2006 10:21PM

While I respect your take on the Lips show, I think it's clear that you were still under the influence of the brown paper you ingested that night when you wrote this.

While The Lips put on a multi-media mind bender, it was not much more than that, in my opinion. It goes without saying that they're a talented band musically. I felt that the streamers, puppets, hamster balls, finger puppets, Gila Monsters, & obvious planning and pre-planning took away from the overall experience for me. Somtimes too much is...well...too much.

I would pay big bucks to see Ween in a small, intimate venue, like The Independent, but Wayne couldn't fit inside his hamster ball in that joint.

I'd see the Lips again, don't get me wrong but the novelty wore off about 30 minutes into that show. If you want a bunch of fireworks, exotic animals, balloons, and aliens then come check out the Marin County Fair next year. It's only ten bucks and you can get a mean corn-dog to dig on while you watch.

If you want pure, unadulterated rock and f'n roll, go see Ween. You'll get it, even if Johnny Brown Paper didn't.

wookiesgonewild starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/9/2006 10:33PM

I agree with Zwickel...the hamster space ball in 7/2/06 was super spacey as opposed to the hamster space ball on 4/5/05 which was more straight up your arse arena rock. The Lips mix is up which makes the live exerience creative and genuine.

fatsean Wed 8/9/2006 11:06PM

might be taking shit a little to seriously...

Stevie_t starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/9/2006 11:43PM

for starters, i need to fucking see Ween. secondly...having seen flaming lips a few times, one time being less then a week ago i must say wow. what a bunch of bitter, loveless, depressing people to hate flaming lips so much. that's like saying "wow, i really hate joy!" people saying the music of flaming lips isn't as impressive as the theatrics is outta their minds. i know sometimes they just get down to simple pop music, but so does ween. i think they make more memorable songs then ween, and as for arrangement, i love ween, but ween certainly doesn't have someone as brilliant as steven drozd. michael ivins is also such an interesting bass player, i love his style. and if yer not inspired by wayne coyne you must not have a heart, or a soul, or something that makes one human.

also wayne encourages fans to let loose at every show, urging people that this is a time to get out and have fun, and feel better and not take everything so seriously (which sounds like what some people posting on this thread cant do). and everytime i've ever seen them, he hasn't needed to becuz everyone is having the time of their life. i absolutely agree that there is nothing like a flaming lips show.

ps. paxe chill out.

shainhouse starstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 06:39AM

The comment in caps lock above me is probably the most immature drivel I have read in a long time. Might win 'most immature drivel ever' award... But I digress. If you dislike the article or the band, why not articulate it in some sort of conversational, mature manner, instead of harking on like a illerate, screaming hooligan? Why post at all, if you post this way?

Anyway, on to the article. I dug the piece and I appreciate the writer's ardor in describing a show that meant a lot to him. It is not for me to judge because I wasn't there, but I dug reading the piece and felt a part of the night, which is all I ask for in review writing.

Timberrrr Thu 8/10/2006 07:01AM

Timberrrr

"But there's more to life than music..."

for some of us there is not. music is what keeps us going. yes there may be more in life than music, but without it I don't know how happy I would be with my life.

NickBoeka Thu 8/10/2006 07:09AM

NickBoeka

good words in this review, but the direction is misguided. I know its easy to get excited when writing a review on a show, but I have to agree with a previous commenter, you need to go see more shows in general. All of the *great* moments that you were captivated with, im sorry to tell you, are repeated every show. Especially with the Lips. Since their whole show is also up there on screen behind them too, you're talking about a well executed (planned) concert, each night, with little to no room for improvisation. I too have had Wayne (who has the biggest head in the scene right now) tell me that he "descended from the heavens and that we caught him, and no seriously, tell your friends"....blah blah blah. Its a great rock concert, yes. It is not even close to the best show ever, not even close.

The samples, the loops, the visual sync'd to the music, its all very fun and enjoyable, but it always leaves me going "wow, good show, the band sucks musically, but the show is really fun to watch" and thats about it. Lets get something straight here, The Lips are performers first, and then musicians. The abundance of distractions on stage, being shot out to the audience, etc. is meant to do just that, distract you. distract you from really listening to the band, cause you would hear they are lacking in the *tightness* department. or wayne's really pitchy/cracky voice. nevertheless, it is a good show to see. I put it level with shows like Mutaytor or Ka'naal. I just would be apprehensive about calling it the *Best Show Ever*

I am a little dissapointed again with another Dual Bill show review only being reviewed on one of the acts. I understand your friend took a spill during the set, and you're apparent lack of interest in Ween, but one paragraph for Ween and another 6 or 7 for the Lips doesn't make this review all that balanced. Maybe find some studio recordings (there are more than a handful to choose from) and do some follow up research as to what Gene and Dean are *saying*. If you listen, I bet you'll be surprised and tickled.

JoshDrew star Thu 8/10/2006 08:46AM

What you don't know about Ween could fill a book. I disagree with your take on Ween. Yes it was Red Rocks....but the brownest shows are inside a small sweaty drunken room. The Flaming Lips show seems too planned and try everything in the world to distract you from the music.

But I have a bias towards The Flaming Lips. I lost my wallet in 1994 at the second stage during Lalapolooza...crowd surfing blows.

God, Ween, Satan.

LukeDogg13 starstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 08:56AM

Saw the Lips/Ween show at Red Rocks 7/29. Great performances by both bands and the Lips killed War Pigs as their encore! I also saw the Lips set at Wakarusa back in June and that was a great show as well. The stage theatrics during their shows may be a little over the top, but I don't think it takes away from the music in any way. Wayne Coyne is one of the most entertaining front men I've ever seen and one can tell that he is having just as much fun, if not a hell of a lot more than you. This is why I will keep seeing the Lips every chance I get. Ween rocks it too.

Luthur starstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 09:05AM

"But with me, personally, I go to shows for the music first and the theatrics much, much later." Fivebfunk.

Yep. My take as well. Saw the Lips at Waka this year. It was interesting. But, if you've seen them once, you've pretty much know the deal.

toejamfball Thu 8/10/2006 09:19AM

Music is Music, theatre is theatre, The Flaming Lips are Muscial Theatre... GYHOOYA... Broadway has made a mint off the same show 6 nights a week... and the Lyrics of the lips are much, much better. Plus musical visuals decrease the need for performance enhancers (if you know what I mean).

but enter the My music is better than your music crowd to disagree

thill starstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 09:41AM

thill

i've heard flaming lips=B.S.E. from 3 credible friends this summer. my first live lips experience was a disappointing short show in daytime slot at lollapalooza, i'm sure its a better show at night. i'm glad they didn't have time to play bohemian rhapsody. my first time, but it really seemed like i'd seen it all before. would have much rather caught ween the day before. god ween satan > martians flaming lips santas

Chaloupka Thu 8/10/2006 09:44AM

Chaloupka

Each to his own, but . . .

Years of show-going and hundreds of concerts have given me the degree of experience to assuredly say that the Flaming Lips show I saw @ Wakarusa was a huge disappointment. It was just more of a spectical than anything else.

KSHAFFER Thu 8/10/2006 10:07AM

so basically what you are saying is that the band kinda sucks but since they had balloons and confetti and stage props, they rocked??? hmmm - I thought you were talking about a concert or live MUSIC!!! if you want gimmicks you can go see the flips... if you want to ROCK... GO SEE WEEN!!!

highplains starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 10:20AM

highplains

Best show ever may be a stretch but every time I see the Lips I have a fuckin blast. But I go to the show knowing what to expect, If you know what they are about and you are not in to it then why would you go to a Lips show? Anyone who is not about them could have walked out after Ween. Yes a lot of their show is theatrics but thats what makes them the Lips. I go to a lot of shows and am usually only worried about the music but sometimes I am looking for something extra and the Lips always fill that need.

frankm star Thu 8/10/2006 10:32AM

Just putting jambase on high alert, everytime goofball is used in a description of Ween's music a bunny will be destroyed.
Thank you in advance for your co-operation.

Music>Theatrics

PS- You're friend is a lite-weight.

Jamon starstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 10:35AM

The Lips blew me away on Xingolati. Then I saw them at Vegoose and they played the EXACT SAME SET!
I still llove them but don't really need to see them again.

phreakyJew starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 10:58AM

phreakyJew

The Flaming Lips turned me into Mr. T

bigchris star Thu 8/10/2006 11:56AM

one of worse reviews I've read here. Looks like Jonny took some bunk acid like his friend.
The Lips cover up some uninspired music with tape loops and silly props and boring lights. Waynes voice sounds like a cat in a blender, high and srieking. The costumes, props, etc. got old after a few songs. Best show ever? please. get out more, mang!

Ween is a 5 peice in case you didn't notice jonny. They are all about rock, great songwritting and music. Art school shoegazers like you wouldn't know that if it hit you between the eyes. I thought Ween performance was excellent, especially Puerto Rican Power and the Buenos encore. They bring the ROCK, pure as mudbog after a hurricane. If you were at the Independent show the night before, you guys know what I mean.

Dean Ween>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steve Drozd

taste the waste!!!!

Greatwaves Thu 8/10/2006 12:18PM

Greatwaves

i thought this was the show of the summer, having seen grab, phil and a whole bunch more, allgood, etc. first time seeing the lips, sont care if they do the same set over and over, so did the Talking Heads stop making sense. that is exactly who thissbband reminds me of, the heads. Wayne has the same charisma and stamina and entertaining values that David Byrne has. i loved it would see it again, and liked the change of crowd, not the typical hippie wooks slangin crack, some indy tight jeaned kids who were more than friendly, way way cooler than the X rudd crowd.peace From CLeveland

tubbss starstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 01:07PM

Never really dug the new Lips. I liked Tangerine back in the 90's but, the whole new hoopla seems like a gimmick, then again I've never seen them live and haven't eating acid since the 90s either... my 2 cents. Nice story though

id rather be phishing star Thu 8/10/2006 01:27PM

id rather be phishing

were you at Phish MSG 1995? than we'll talk...

yankee Thu 8/10/2006 01:39PM

Zwickel!! I don't know if you are reading these responses, but anyway I thought I'd give you a shout. It's your old friend Jesse B. from Jersey. Good article. Best show ever? we all have our opinions. You da man.

Harmonium starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 02:29PM

Harmonium

I wasn't at this particular show, but I was able to catch the Lips twice this summer: Wakarusa and Lollapalooza. What all you naysayers have to understand is that there is a message that the Lips are trying to evoke: the meaninglessness of life, and how we should all try to have the best possible time with the little time we have left. The Flaming Lips are not attempting to break serious ground in their performances. They try to make a jaw-dropping spectacle, which includes everyone in the audience. Wayne wants everyone to sing along to "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Do You Realize???" because it's part of the underlining theme: let's have a fucking blast. The group doesn't try to replicate the actual music on the albums because the production is too technical. However, the message remains. Kudos to Zwickel for understanding why the Lips' stage show is brilliant.

threef starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/10/2006 09:25PM

I don't know about the lips. Rally good show and entertaining but Ween riped them a new one at red rock. Ween put on one of the best concerts of my life. So rocking it just blew me away. I can't wait to see Ween Again. Wow is all I can say.

JohnVoss star Thu 8/10/2006 10:25PM

JohnVoss

I dont mean to kill your buzz, but doesnt acid make every show the best show ever? I mean come on, nothing against FL but if they play the same set every night, I would expect it to be a little better than what I have seen. Phish MSG 95, Big Cypress, Panic's come back at the Fox in '05, The Grateful Dead at the Pyramids, Bob Dylan at The Fillmore in '73, all can't be beat by an average Lips show. Next time your having a good trip, dont write about it being the best time ever again. Maybe just write, "i had a good trip, and the music was fun."

Death Cube K star Fri 8/11/2006 05:46AM

Death Cube K

I've done things to myself and thought the same thing you have.

nfenne starstarstarstar Fri 8/11/2006 08:41AM

nfenne

Good review. I saw the Lips for the first time at All Good last year and they blew my mind! I wasn't familiar with any of their music so I had no idea what to expect. Their show was a mindbending circus that was the culmination of the right thing at the right time. Afterwards I bought their last 4 albums and I couldn't believe that they had been making great music for so long and I wasn't into to them. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of their earlier work but I think Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi and At War w/ the Mystics are musical masterpieces. Not only do they write meaningful songs that evoke emotion from a listener they create sonic layers and textures that I haven't heard ANY band do before. Flaming Lips is one of the few bands I enjoy seeing that doesn't base their live show on improvistion. That being said I wouldn't want to go on tour with the Lips but I'll be very happy to see them once a year.

I saw Ween for the first time this year and I still don't get it. I don't want to get it. I'll see them once more this summer and I'm really hoping that my opinion will change.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/11/2006 09:47AM

Lord-K.

I thought this was going to be about the red rocks show. Two screens there one of Wayne's mic and the other of some of the most amazing visuals I have ever seen at a show in my entire life. Ween wasn't bad either....lol who am I f'in kiddin I'm ready to board the poopship anyday ROCK

Thestalwartone star Fri 8/11/2006 10:00AM

My Opinion,

Went to the Red Rocks Ween/Lips show and also caught a portion of Lips set at Wakarusa earlier this summer. I showed up late to the Lips at Waka and was at the back of the massive crowd. I enjoyed watching the theatrics for a while but was not impressed with the actual music. I decided that I didn't give them a good enough listen. However I did get an earfull at Red Rocks sitting near the sound board for both the Lips and Ween. Lips were fun at times with their sing alongs, costumes, confetti, and balloons(which quickly blew into the trees on the north side of Red Rocks.) Musically I felt they were lacking. Ween was incredible.

Going into the show having seen relatively little from Lips and having never seen ween I had an open mind for both bands. I thought that as far as musical talent goes Ween made the Lips look like a high school talent show act. I'm glad that I saw the Flamming Lips but I probably wouldn't pay to see them again. I'm sold on Ween.

mindyfromlawrence starstar Fri 8/11/2006 01:00PM

Wayne Coyne = David Byrne?????!

Yeah, and George W Bush = John F Kennedy too.

Most. Absurd. Comparison. Ever.

Greatwaves Fri 8/11/2006 02:47PM

Greatwaves

first of all mindy from kans ass... ididnt say they were the same, just out of all the lead men out there he is the most charimatic and like david byrne, if you cant connect the two then its your problem.

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Fri 8/11/2006 03:17PM

Lord-K.

mindyfromlawrence may I remind you that you could probably compare any other president to G-Dub and it would be absurd....God I hate that guy

japhams Fri 8/11/2006 03:52PM

Flaming Lips- Dead to me!

Ween- Will get better once Gene takes his first sip of the Jack.

This review- Worst Evs...

id rather be phishing star Sat 8/12/2006 01:21PM

id rather be phishing

a Phish soundcheck is a better show than a flaming lips one

marcmonbo starstarstar Sat 8/12/2006 03:33PM

marcmonbo

I caught the Lips at Wakarusa, and it was probably the coolest concert "spectacle" I've ever seen with the most theatrics. But, those only go so far. The Lips' songs are good too, but there's no way in hell that they top Ween.

When you go to a Ween show, you don't need to spend the whole time trying to "figure it out" or whatever. Just listen to the music, realize that they are rocking the shit out of the place and enjoy yourself. Then, you will understand that Ween is one of the best bands out there.

Also, there is no comparison between David Byrne and Wayne Coyne. Byrne is amongst the greatest rock performers all time.

Bencident starstar Sat 8/12/2006 04:58PM

I'll start by saying that Phish is sick and are my favorite band of all time. But I could not be more sick of hearing Phish fans hate on EVERYTHING. It's like when Phish broke up all the Phish heads got pissed and have to hate on every band that isn't Phish to try to convince everyone how awesome Phish is. Stop the hate.

Cottell Sat 8/12/2006 08:20PM

This was the worst reveiw ever. All the balloons and that whining got old. I'm not 12 yrs old. Ween is by far the best band out there. They don't need that crapt to look good.

Greatwaves Mon 8/14/2006 08:02AM

Greatwaves

i saw Ween at allgood and the lips in cleveland, thought that the lips were way more entertaining, but thats me. not many will agree maybe just the music i grew up to influenced me a different way... by the way Ween would not be as popular if Phish wouldnt have covered them Roses are free

onehoop Mon 8/14/2006 12:35PM

These comments really belie how I was massively disappointed by the Red Rocks show. I thought that it would be one of the best shows of the summer with three of my favorite bands (The Go Team! rocks!). Unfortunately, I was too distracted by all the noses in the air. It really felt like two separate shows with the Ween fans snubbing the FLips and many of the FLips fans leaving before Ween. And, I think that I *might* have been the only person there who loves the Go Team! On the bright side, I was able to find room to dance all over the venue with people coming in late and leaving early.

I thought that all three bands were about having Fun, but it seems that a lot of people can only have fun if they are sure that they are having more or better fun than everyone else. Sad.

Oh well, some folks you just can't reach...

M@

nouser starstar Mon 8/14/2006 02:42PM

i have seen the lips and i put there performance far from the best show i have ever seen. If you want a spectacle go see muytator. I do like there performances but again it is far from the best out there. I saw them multiple times at festies in 2006 and they were all extremely alike. with the exception of the dancers having different costumes. High ppoint of a lips show.....Group sing along of Bohimian Rapsody (waka). Such strong opinions as yours about this band make me wounder how much live musci you have even seen, check some essentials please.

manjotar star Mon 8/14/2006 09:58PM

manjotar

the soft bulletin,
yoshimi were both fun, but
BOW DOWN TO BOOGNISH

sethius Tue 8/15/2006 08:05AM

I've seen the flaming lips... and while they have some crazy antics... he plays the same songs at every show... and while seeing him at all good it was a horrible experience... people were leaving with looks of "wtf" on their face... the stage antics and what not are cool... but sorry definitely NOT the best show

Lord-K. starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/15/2006 08:15AM

Lord-K.

BTY Ween wouldn;t be as poplular if Phish hadn't covered Roses are Free.......I know that is the only reason I listen to Ween.....get a life

jimcard starstar Tue 8/15/2006 09:33AM

"Best ever" discussions are so lame. So let me get this straight, you saw a show last night and it was the best ever? I guess every show you attend from now on will be either the "new best ever" or "it sucked"? Would there ever be a reason to go to another show again? I just want to groove, people!

Lastly, you want to see a great "show"? Check-out Tom Waits if you ever get a chance. Unfortunately, your chances are slim. He only plays about 8 shows every 4 or 5 years BUT he will move you. The guy is a throw back to Vaudville with mistrel, song and dance, intelligence, and humor. He puts the HOW in SHOW.

srosner starstarstar Tue 8/15/2006 02:13PM

Cool pics, Ween and lips are probably 2 of the most original bands out there, would be nice to know some of the songs they both played.

seemeREGEA Wed 8/16/2006 05:02AM

Its a Play, not a show........See them once for sure. but the next time you pay you will see the same fuckin thing. Great show the first time. I like music more than lectures. Thats just me though.

froghead Wed 8/16/2006 06:39AM

mocoblast, why must you be ignant? I was listening to Ween way before Phish. Who cares if Phish played a Ween cover song, it's a great song. Get your mind out of the garbage, it's starting to grow maggots.

FestyDyke starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/16/2006 10:46AM

I love the lips! From mind blowing music to the most entertaining spectacle of color and imagination, they do it for me in every way. Like the best acid trip ever without the acid. . . my cheeks hurt from smiling so much. :)

Lord-K. starstarstar Thu 8/17/2006 08:31AM

Lord-K.

Actually froghead my comment was a smart ass remark in response to dparris1......I would never devalue ween in such a way jsut wanted to straighten things up

trippybillie starstar Thu 8/17/2006 11:14AM

Here's my take on the "Best Show Ever"

While yes, the Flaming Lips know how to put on a spectacle of lights, colors, and giants balls, I did not think this was the best show ever, nor in the past month....The thing I didn't like about this show was that it feels like the Flaming Lips are forcing you to have a great time, instead of allowing you to find that fun on your own. Its like eating cake (totally stole this anology from Victor Wooten, btw) sure, the frosting is great, but you can't eat just frosting, you gotta have a little cake underneath as a foundation for the sweetness of the frosting. Flaming Lips are all frosting and no cake. The musical aspect of their show was marginal at best, while the spectacle aspect was so overwhelming and in your face that a few times i had to focus my attention to the crowd or beyond the stage just so i wouldn't start convulsing from a strobelight induced seizure.

I totally appreciate their angle of spreading joy and love and happiness, but for me to enjoy them live, they need to focus on their musical aspect and spend less time worrying about playing with all their toys on stage. Unless I get a free ticket, I'm pretty sure I won't be seeing the Flaming Lips anytime soon.

Oh ya, Ween rocked! and all they had were massive amounts of smoke to pick up the lights (since the majority of their show was in daylight).

kilidank Fri 8/18/2006 07:05AM

The flaming lips are for kids. I want more than bells and whistles. You will all bow down and worship at the alter of WEEN! The Flaming Lips are a decade late. The first two times I saw the lips I thought they were great. The third time I realized its the exact same show. NOT WORTH YOUR TIME! Why does this web-site not give time to the best band since Jerry Garcia was alive?? WEEN!!!!!!!!!!

POLLIN8 starstarstarstarstar Mon 8/21/2006 01:07AM

The problem with all you people comparing Ween to the Lips is that you miss the fundamental truth that they are two separate, different bands who are not dualing each other, but respect each other enough to tour and share a stage together. You JAMHEADS all remind me of the fucks who talked shit about Phish after Jerry died and vice versa. The Lips put on an amazing show, ween put on an amazing show. TWO DIFFERENT SHOWS> TWO DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES! ALL you JAM band freaks are just CHASING THE DRAGON, looking for your fix in your pornomusico masterbatory celebrations, and when YOUR EXPECTATIONS are not met, enter the judgement. NONE OF YOU COULD DO WHAT THE LIPS OR WEEEN OR PHISH OR THE DEAD COULD DO BECAUSE ALL YOU HAVE IS NEGATIVITY AND JUDGEMENT! I'll see you at the front, dancing all over your slow ass.

seflamini starstarstar Mon 8/21/2006 02:42PM

I totally agree with the guy who posted about the cake analogy. The show that I saw was great....EXCEPT....they forgot to play music. Don't get me wrong, I think the Lips have great potential, but every time the music gets to a place where they can transcend...the theatrics, and not the music, takes over. Let's hope they figure that part out soon....

hellyeah Mon 8/21/2006 11:39PM

i love when people complain about negativity in a virulently negative, judgmental way pollin8.

kilidank Tue 8/22/2006 08:55AM

The article that we are posting on compares Ween To the Flaming lips. Depicting Ween in a rather UN- brown light, "Shameless goofballs",and the like. I expect more from a music review. This chode even says there is "more to life than music". At a rock show? Get bent jambase I expect more from you guys. And to all yopu peopl posting crap about people being negative with their comments they should read the article.It is a negative piece of garbage.

FEELGOOD starstarstar Tue 8/22/2006 01:07PM

"BTY Ween wouldn;t be as poplular if Phish hadn't covered Roses are Free"

That has to be the most ignorant statement I've read in a long time. Ween is big because they're WEEN douche bag.

gOdWesSaTaN Mon 9/4/2006 11:13PM

gOdWesSaTaN

"BTY Ween wouldn;t be as poplular if Phish hadn't covered Roses are Free"
alright ween didnt get famous because your beloved phish cover a few of there songs (dont get me wrong phish was a great band and it makes me sad i will never get to see them)but to trash ween thats a low blow people ween is popular because they are the most musically diverse band ever and they can play any type of music and there good at all of them. not one ween cd is the same and to say they got famous because phish cover there song is even an insult to phish cause why would phish cover a few songs if they didnt have the upmost respect from the band come on whoever said that comment.phish is not the only good band out there get a life. And dont compare the lips and ween there both great nd there not trying to be the same

ween11 starstar Tue 9/5/2006 12:14AM

i agree with manjotar
ween is a holy band which deserves to be praised in all ways. no one is allowed to talk bad about them unless they have listened closely to every cd. they are so deep and so original and so addictive that i believe any single person could grow into a ween head. dont disagree until you listen to all, so yes, bow down to the fucking boognish.
flaming lips were decent in concert but ehh, it was too fake and glittery. i realized they arent deep people like dean and gene and that the main guy is kind of a corny bastard. gene and dean just walk on stage and sing. ween forever...meep