TOM PETTY SETS LEG THREE

Tom Petty
With sold-out concerts - including New York's Madison Square Garden and the 80,000-strong Bonnaroo - house records set, and accolades like the Boston Globe's "one of the finest, most enduring outfits in rock'n'roll," Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers announce dates and support acts for Leg Three of their 2006 U.S. Summer Tour. The third leg, which includes headlining this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival and a return to the band's Gainesville, FL hometown, kicks off in Chicago on September 14 and will feature The Strokes on their first of several dates as support act. John Mayer and Frank Black will support on other selected dates.

The Highway Companion Tour, which celebrates the band's 30th anniversary, has already featured a star-studded list of special guests and opening acts. Phish frontman Trey Anastasio opened the entire first leg and will be back on some Leg Two dates, and the Allman Brothers Band are also set to support on select second leg dates. In addition, Petty and the Heartbreakers have just completed an historic run of dates with Pearl Jam during which Eddie Vedder took the stage and sang lead with Tom and the Heartbreakers on "The Waiting" and "American Girl."

It is also announced that Stevie Nicks, who was a "surprise" guest on the first eight shows of the tour, will return in that capacity for Leg Two and Leg Three dates. Nicks will join Petty and the Heartbreakers during their set for a handful of songs, including the Petty/Nicks Number One hit, "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around."

JamBase | Gainesville
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 7/10/06]

Comments

knockkneedman starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/10/2006 11:33AM

if anyone has not seen tom petty live, for godsakes get of your butt and go see him before you can't!

EVILFUNK Mon 7/10/2006 11:43AM

EVILFUNK

Tom was cool before jambands were cool. i respect him endlessly as an artist. i do need to pause and ask; is he mentioned here because;

A. he makes awesome music and we as readers need to finally learn of this guy we have never heard of before.

B. his people are in bed with boneroo, boneroo says "cover petty" to jambase and jambase rolls over and puts out.

C. who cares? the pressies i bought in front of the x box tent are kicking in and i dont really care as long as im having fun! who needs to understand art and culture?

america, you decide....oh and i do plan to turn on mtv and look for toms new stuff... that alice in wonderland video was awesome!

Schweizappa starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/10/2006 01:43PM

I'd love to smoke with Petty, Trey, Gordon and duh Benevento Russo Duo cruo.

tomjsci Mon 7/10/2006 02:43PM

I had the opportunity to see Petty and Pearl Jam at St. Paul's Xcel Energy Center in one of their two shows in early June. A euphoric event. Petty was a showman throughout, brandishing maracas one moment and slowly easing into "Free Fallin'" under a single spotlight the next. Opening his encore with "Don't Come Around Here No More" was memorable, but it was equaled two songs later when Petty had Eddie Vedder come out to help close with "American Girl."

The Allmans w/ Petty? Goodness. If you have yourself a nice seat for one of these shows you're a fortunate being. Enjoy it.

charlton. starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/10/2006 03:07PM

charlton.

petty was my first show as a child... it's been kind of eerie to see him all over the jam scene... but who cares..

Tom Petty is a legend.

Aiko420 Mon 7/10/2006 04:53PM

I caught TP a few years ago when he was doing a big run at the Fillmore in SF. Bo Diddley opened and it was a hell of a show. Definitely recommend checking him out. However, some of this tour just does not sit right with me. The Allman Brothers OPENING for Tom Petty???? Give me a break, that should be the other way around. I have no idea why ABB would sign on for an opening slot (money I guess). And I have to agree with another comment up there about why exactly Tom Petty gets a mention on Jambase. Most of his songs are 3 minutes long. About as far away from a jamband as you can get. Somebody is pullin some strings around here....

cocheese Tue 7/11/2006 06:01AM

cocheese

The Allman Bros. are opening for Petty?!? And the Derek Trucks Band!!! WOW! If it were up to me it would be Petty, the Derek, and then the Brothers would headline, but this ain't Burger King. That is still a freakin' killer lineup. Wish they were coming to the Music City.

Death Cube K starstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 07:15AM

Death Cube K

"all over the jam scene"

what a combination, some good movin>classic rock and roll! party in hartford with allman brothers. Yippee!

smokinfloyd Tue 7/11/2006 09:16PM

Too bad he pussed out at bonnaroo, lost total respect for him then

monhoman starstarstar Wed 7/12/2006 01:28PM

I thought Tom rocked at Bonnaroo, but that just my opinion man but at least it's not negative.

gvn2fly starstarstarstarstar Wed 7/12/2006 01:40PM

I don't know what everybody's beef is with petty...

a) being on jambase
b) other acts, like ABB, opening for him
c) "pussing out" of his 4 HOUR SLOT at bonnaroo

who cares...he freakin' rocks, i mean did you even see his show at bonnaroo...it was one of the top acts BY FAR!

mattwest Thu 7/13/2006 01:10PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that he "pussed out at Bonnaroo". I just think that people are upset with the pure and simple fact that he started 45 minutes late and he finished his performance at 11:00 p.m.. His advertised show time was 8:30 - 12:00. Compare that to Radiohead who started promptly at 8:30 took only a 5 minute set break, and played till their allotted time of 11:00. Even the other Headliner Phil Lesh & Friends started between 8:30 - 8:45 and still played till Midnight. He played great, but it was still a downer for me because of his apparent "to hell with the fans I'm a friggen Rock Star I'll start and finish whenever I feel like it attitude". I'm just glad I paid for a festival and not one of his solo headliner shows. Even Bob Dylan started on time at Bonnaroo two years ago and he's much more ancient (and a bigger rock star).

Alex.Anastas starstarstarstarstar Sun 7/16/2006 05:38PM

Alex.Anastas

I saw Tom Petty after finishing high school and it was by far and away one of the best shows I have ever seen, hands down - he rocked an 11-12 minute Refugee, and everyone should know that it is always a classic rock greatest hits tour with someone like him, we should just appreciate the fact that we are getting to see him with openers like Trey, ABB, PJ, the Storkes, and so on...

Quit bitching and open your eyes and ears people!

mattwest Tue 7/18/2006 02:06PM

Whatever....As I said he played great, and he damn well should he's been doing this for 30+ years. Plus I've been fan since I was a kid, hence my comments.
Peace be to all