WEAR YOUR MUSIC CAMPAIGN

Wear Your Music
Relix, the magazine for music, announced the “Wear Your Music” campaign—a new way for music lovers who wear their favorite bands on their sleeves—to now wear them on their wrists. Created by noted designer Hannah Gasner of Azu Studio and Relix President/Publisher Steve Bernstein, the Relix Band is a fashionable accessory created by the previously played strings from top artists. The bracelets are available at www.relix.com/wearyourmusic.

Participating artists currently include Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Ben Harper, Buddy Guy, Dave Schools, Death Cab for Cutie, Disco Biscuits, John Bell, Keller Williams, Les Claypool, Dickey Betts, Goo Goo Dolls, Michael Franti, Ziggy Marley, David Grisman, moe., Bela Fleck, Umphrey's McGee, Slightly Stoopid, Little Feat, Baaba Maal, Warren Haynes and more. Additional artists will be announced.

All profits go to charities personally selected by the donating artists, or to the following music-related charities: voter-registration organization Headcount; Grateful Dead charity The Rex Foundation; SEVA, which works to reduce avoidable blindness; and Rock ‘n’ Wrap It Up, which delivers leftover backstage catering to people in need.

Gasner remembers how she began making guitar string bracelets, "I came up with the idea years ago as gifts for my musician friends and their families." The sentimental accessories struck a chord with Steve Bernstein, and the two became partners in the Wear Your Music charity campaign.

“To me, this is the perfect piece of memorabilia for the passionate music fan,” says Bernstein. “What better way to get close to your favorite artists than to wear their strings.”

Bernstein added, “This is an exciting initiative for us and it was extremely important to us and the artists that the profits from the sale of the bracelets go to charity.”

JamBase | New York
Go See Live Music!

[Published on: 7/7/06]

Comments

JoelsEnergyGuide Sat 7/8/2006 12:35AM

$150 for a guitar string? and I thought my local music shop was a rip off

thesaxophonist starstarstarstarstar Sun 7/9/2006 06:46AM

thesaxophonist

lets get some new monsoon love here.

I_Drink_It_Up Sun 7/9/2006 11:44AM

I_Drink_It_Up

These are REALLY expensive

EVILFUNK Mon 7/10/2006 09:41AM

EVILFUNK

thats funny, most of us would settle for Bela Fleck's used undies.

thesaxophonist starstarstarstarstar Mon 7/10/2006 12:48PM

thesaxophonist

wheres the love people? its for charity. support someyone else, i know you can do it. think about it as replacing all the pennies you have used from the gas stations take-a-penny-leave-a-penny trays.

EVILFUNK Mon 7/10/2006 01:59PM

EVILFUNK

this is pretty hip in the realm of rock and roll charity stuff. if i had alot of money i would support it.

Death Cube K Tue 7/11/2006 07:16AM

Death Cube K

hats off to whomever came up with this clever idea. I think they would make a great gift.

craikes13 starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 08:54AM

craikes13

This is a great idea, but a little impractical from a financial standpoint. i mean, that is an awefully large amount of money to pay, regardless of charity, for something as in expensive as a piece of paper and a guitar string. For this amount of money, I could become a gold level member of my local playhouse, and I would get free tickets w/ that.
I love the idea, but I think it would be a little bit more accessible if the bracelets weren't costing the the same price as admission to Bonnaroo (Buddy Guy's strings are $200).

shacklefordwantsapizza starstarstarstarstar Tue 7/11/2006 03:49PM

Come on folks, its not what you get (a priceless piece of memoribilia from living legends who we all love and respect) - its what you give (support to worthy causes). Im so glad you all know how much you 'could' get for the price, but never take the moment to support someone other than your own lazy goldbrickin' butts! THEY AREN'T BEING SOLD! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though...just disappointed. Either way, im saving up for mine - just a couple fewer rounds of beer a week.

CrazyBrandon starstarstarstarstar Sat 12/2/2006 08:16PM

CrazyBrandon

I think its great what there doing it for but the price is a little up there for me. Dont get me wrong though if I had the extra cash I wouldn't hesitate to get John Mayers strings