KD3: KARL DENSON TRIO

Karl Denson
Begin Phase Four! Karl Denson has come full circle. In 1992 he began his recording career with Blackened Red Snapper, the first of four traditional jazz quintet albums. In 1994 he became an essential part in the formation of the now highly regarded acid-jazz pioneer Greyboy Allstars. In 1998 he constructed yet another successful recording and touring entity, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe. Now, while The Tiny Universe is taking time off to record, Karl is returning to the vicinity of where it all started with KD3, the Karl Denson Trio.

Featuring Anthony Smith (Global Funk and Giant People) on keys and Brett Sanders (older brother of KDTU drummer John Staten) on drums; KD3 is a bold statement about jazz, past, present and future. Staying true to Karl's vision of jazz as dance music, he manages to find the funky side of things in some very unexpected places. "It's something I've been anxious to do for the last couple of years" says Denson. "I felt the need for a musical challenge and to kind of clear my head in the process of finishing the Tiny Universe record. Playing jazz is always a wake up call, but even more so in a small group setting. You have to be a lot more steady as a player and as an artist. There is also a lot of music I've written that I really want the chance to perform that's not really suited for KDTU."

KD3 will satisfy the needs of the jazz aficionados and funksters alike while challenging both to listen, dance and evolve simultaneously.

TOURDATES
7.26.06 | Higher Ground | Burlington, VT
7.27.06 | Monument Square | Portland, ME
7.29.06 | Rams Head | Annapolis, MD
7.30.06 | 8x10 Club | Baltimore, MD
More dates to come...

[Published on: 6/6/06]

Comments

simpleman95 Tue 6/6/2006 02:25PM

So pumped that Karl is going to be experimenting in my backyard!
Winstons is the place to be this month. Long live OB.

danpfunk Tue 6/6/2006 02:48PM

Man a regular gig every Wed. for the whole month. And no driving to Solana Beach to see it. I miss SD bad right about now.

moephan4420 Tue 6/6/2006 07:15PM

I wonder if that show in Portland is free

Leatherface starstarstar Tue 6/6/2006 08:58PM

whats up with the greyboy allstars at high sierra? karls playing 2 shows in CO the 29th and the 30th then flying into reno to play high sierra, and then flying back to CO on the 1st? no karl in the greyboy allstars, or is karl nuts.

spaceface7 starstarstarstar Tue 6/6/2006 09:35PM

It would be sick to see some opening dates for galactic or widespread or ya could get me really goin and play Nugroove Fest july 28 in Ny

Jogging Naked Tue 6/6/2006 11:08PM

Jogging Naked

The next four wednesdays for me will consist of surfing avalanche, drying off, and getting down to business with none other than the sax player for sexual chocolate at Winston's. Damn skippy.

pronice starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/7/2006 06:23AM

ho-lee-crap! the monument square in P-town is a FREE show on 7/27 if anyone is interested. it is an ongoing series of musical events that the city puts on each summer. we had moe. a few years ago (the night before IT in Limestone) and it was amazing!

Death Cube K starstarstarstar Wed 6/7/2006 11:07AM

Death Cube K

K-Denson is the man. I made this imaginary clip in my mind where he plays the wrong note, then breaks the tenor saxophone over his knee. Too Bad K-Denson doesn't play the wrong note... and chuck norris never cries.

migus00 starstarstarstarstar Wed 6/7/2006 02:39PM

migus00

Winstons is my favorite place on earth. Its going to be packed!!

Leupey Thu 6/8/2006 05:51PM

Leupey

Can someone post a brief review? I would love to know how Karl and the boys sounded...

WooWoo Fri 6/9/2006 02:24PM

I'd bet that Karl will be at the GBA show at HSMF.

Karl is nuts, will travel and thinks sleep is the enemy.

This trio sounds hot...T-money rip up those keys and John's older brother taught him how to play those drums...and is John is the student, how good is the master?

Patjcostell starstarstarstarstar Mon 6/12/2006 01:56PM

I'll be at the Higher Ground show, can't wait to listen to this guy play in a smaller group. The funk coming out of GBA and KDTU is nasty but I'd like to hear himn rip it on his own a little more.

misterkrull Mon 9/25/2006 12:10PM

If this trio rolls into your town stop what you're doing and go get your mind blown. Last night's Atlanta gig was filled with great energy and mind-blowing music. Make a point to go support Karl D + crew in a smaller setting with some of the most creative music you'll see for a long time.

- I Understand.....