SANDBOX BY MICHAEL HOUSER

From www.honesttune.com:

On Jan 24, 2006, John Keane's Supercat Records will release Sandbox, a new solo album from the late Michael Houser of Widespread Panic. The album will include many Houser favorites, including "Sandbox" as well as several tunes written shortly before his death in 2002. The album was produced by John Keane.

Sandbox is Widespread Panic guitarist/vocalist Michael Houser's second and final solo effort. It is a collection of original songs recorded in his home studio between the Fall of 2001 and Spring of 2002. While a few of the tunes have been knocking around for years, most have never been performed live, and none have appeared on any previous releases. Sadly, Houser was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer during the latter part of this recording process, and he succumbed to the disease on August 10 of that year. Shortly before he passed away, Michael handed the recordings over to longtime friend and Widespread Panic producer John Keane asking him to finish the project for a posthumous follow up to Door Harp, his instrumental solo effort recorded earlier that year.

Says Keane, "I knew that Mikey had been recording material for a solo record at his home studio, but I didn't realize how much he had accomplished until he called me over to his house to play them for me. I was stunned, to say the least. It was clear that I was listening to some of his best lyrics and melodies, and the guitar and mandolin parts were breathtaking in their beauty and simplicity. Mikey asked me to flesh out the songs with additional instrumentation, and he expressed a desire to have bandmate John Bell contribute some vocals. I felt honored to be entrusted with the task of polishing these rough diamonds into a finished record. That was the last time Mikey and I spoke—a week later he was gone. Sandbox is classic Mikey at his best, despite his struggles with failing health. His wry sense of humor and generous spirit prevail throughout. It's a very intimate and personal musical statement, and a wonderful parting gift for those of us who knew him, and those who have yet to discover his legacy."

Track List:
1 No Matter What - 6:33
2 Goodbye My Love - 4:36
3 Sandbox - 5:14
4 Can't Change the Past - 2:59
5 Low Country - 5:30
6 Where Does it Go - 5:21
7 Nacoochee Queen - 3:23
8 Country Sex Song - 4:51
9 Solitude - 4:59
10 Bull Run - 5:09
11 No Cryin Now - 4:15
12 She Drives Me to Drink - 5:28

[Published on: 11/2/05]

Comments

rpmills starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/2/2005 05:14PM

R.I.P. HOUSER...can't wait to hear your farewell album!!!

alltimepanic Wed 11/2/2005 05:40PM

mikey lives on ...

TWhitt420 starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/2/2005 06:50PM

Can't wait..

wildwillie starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/2/2005 07:06PM

You know it takes a long long time. peace of mind. mikey will be in the hearts of every spread freak this Holiday season as we anxiously await the release of this archive we never heard before, but sounds so familiar ONE LOVE MIKEY!!

southernhippie starstarstarstarstar Wed 11/2/2005 08:49PM

Right On! Mickey will ALWAYS be loved and missed! Can't wait for this to come out!

keeponkeepingon starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/3/2005 08:03AM

God bless Michael Houser. Can't wait for this CD! WP will never be the same without 'Panic.'

idigmusic Thu 11/3/2005 10:31AM

Panic has been one of my favorite bands since before Mikey passed. I never saw them live with him, but I feel like I was a part of the community befor he was gone and there is still so much love for the Houser name. This album is going to be one of the best things I have heard for a long time.

Marc1971 starstarstarstar Tue 11/8/2005 10:04AM

Marc1971

Although, I've never been a huge Panic fan, I did get a chance to see them with and without Mikey. They are different but that's OK. I think this album will be a fitting piece of closure for a lot of people who knew this was out there. RIP Mikey

Chummerone Wed 11/9/2005 03:57PM

Looking Forward to Hearing it - Miss You Bro!

threef starstarstarstarstar Thu 11/10/2005 12:54PM

Nice One! I can't wait to hear the sweet sound of Mikey

Greenjah starstarstarstarstar Fri 11/11/2005 05:44AM

Greenjah

I can still hear his guitar solos dancing in my head...RIP Micahel -we truly miss you.

blugurl starstarstarstarstar Tue 11/15/2005 02:50AM

What a treat! Can't wait to hear it!!

tferlisi starstarstarstar Wed 12/14/2005 04:24PM

If this one is anything like Door Harp, it should be awesome!

dedhed6111 starstarstarstarstar Thu 12/22/2005 10:19AM

dedhed6111

i think i'm actually crying

schools1 starstarstarstar Tue 1/3/2006 03:38PM

hey i can't wait for this, panic isn't the same nor will they ever be the same. but mikey wanted them to carry on and god bless him they granted his request. george is still a great guitarist and panic a great band, just different.
mikey will always live in our hearts and in the music

bobbyace Thu 1/12/2006 11:12AM

.....as previously posted, i too have not stop crying...the man on the moon will always be a musician.....

brantleyrogers starstarstarstarstar Sat 1/21/2006 07:45PM

Mikey, We miss you brother..