COMES A TIME: CELEBRATING GARCIA AT GREEK

Tuesday, August 9:

The Jerry Garcia Estate presents an extraordinary night at the Greek Theatre...

Comes a Time – A Celebration of the Music and Spirit of Jerry Garcia and Benefit for the Rex Foundation

Grateful Dead at Greek Theatre by Jay Blakesberg
SAUSALITO, CALIF - Ten years have passed since the untimely death of Jerry Garcia, founding member of the Grateful Dead. To celebrate Jerry Garcia's life, spirit, and music, the Jerry Garcia Estate in association with Another Planet presents an extraordinary evening of music at the Greek Theatre on Saturday, September 24, 2005. Musicians from far and wide are gathering to pay tribute to all that Jerry Garcia has contributed to the world of music. The evening of jamming and celebration will include Trey Anastasio, Hmza el Din, Mickey Hart, Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring, Bruce Hornsby, Gloria Jones, Bill Kreutzmann, Jackie LaBranch, Donna Jean McKay, David Nelson, Sandy Rothman, Melvin Seals, The String Cheese Incident members Jason Hann, Michael Kang, Keith Moseley, and Billy Nershi, Bob Weir and Ratdog members Kenny Brooks, Jeff Chimenti, Mark Karan, Jay Lane and Robin Sylvester.

Jerry's family sees this celebration as a special opportunity to bring together musicians and fans to not only savor the beauty of the music created by Jerry Garcia and his colleagues over the last 40 years, but also to renew and carry forward this spirit for generations to come. "We are so excited that the time has finally come to join together in the spirit and the music my dad spent his life exploring; he was on a spiritual pursuit of communication through music, an open-ended conversation that anyone can join and that conversation will never end as long as the music plays" said a smiling Annabelle Garcia.

Bob Weir has also expressed his thoughts on September 24th. "I shared the stage with Jerry for 35 years and think about him every time I pick up my guitar. This special coming together is one way to celebrate all that Jerry has given us - to feel alive and good with Jerry's spirit and smile."

The concert is a benefit for the Rex Foundation, the public charitable organization established by the Grateful Dead and friends in 1984. The Rex Foundation has, since December 2001, been on a renewal path to build the funding necessary to carry out its mission in the absence of direct Grateful Dead concert funding, continuing to embody the spirit of generosity and concern that evolved in the culture surrounding Grateful Dead concerts. Since 1984, the Rex Foundation has granted $7.7 million to some 1,000 grassroots programs across the U.S. and around the world in support of the environment, the arts, education, social and economic justice. Jerry Garcia's legacy goes beyond music as the Foundation furthers its long-standing tradition of grassroots giving.

General Admission tickets are $50. Also available are special reserved and front-of-pit seats for $100 and $250, where all but $50 are charitable contributions. General Admission tickets are available through TicketMaster – www.ticketmaster.com, and GDTS TOO - www.gdtstoo.com / Hotline (415) 457-6388. Reserved seats are available through the Rex Foundation – www.rexfoundation.org / 415-561-3135. Doors open at 4:30 p.m. The concert is 6:00 – 11:00. For more information contact the Rex Foundation at 415-561-3134.

[Published on: 8/9/05]

Comments

M0Er0N Tue 8/9/2005 07:00PM

what about Phil and friends...... I find it hard to belive Phil will miss this one...

Weyistrilson Tue 8/9/2005 07:55PM

Weyistrilson

Vince Welnick can't be too busy either...

tom21779 Tue 8/9/2005 08:51PM

how about vince welnick, tom constanten, steven stills, carlos santana, steve winwood, pete townshend, etta james and bob dylan?

bbqribs starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/9/2005 09:46PM

bbqribs

put that in your pipe and smoke it!! Yea!! The Greek!!

mulehill2003 Wed 8/10/2005 03:56AM

mulehill2003

Where the hell is Phil's name? That would be a sin if he's not there!

Joosee starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/10/2005 06:45AM

Celebration Time, C'mon!!!!
Maybe this should of been a whole week at the Greek!!!!
I bet there are some surprises dead ahead!

SLC_Library_Boy starstarstarstarstar Wed 8/10/2005 02:18PM

Phil & Friends? We have the Friends...we just need the Phil. And I liked the Etta James suggestion.

jakeh Wed 8/10/2005 10:19PM

(From the Philzone)
A message from Phil:
"When my son Grahame was born eighteen years ago,
I made a solemn vow to myself that my children would
always come first in my life. I am very proud that I have
honored that vow, and as a result, I have a very close
relationship with my two wonderful sons. I will be unable
to participate in the Rex Foundation's benefit concert
honoring Jerry in September, as that is the week that we
help Grahame move out from our home and into a dorm
at his university. I know that with all of the fine musicians participating a wonderful day of music will be enjoyed by all."

Parsonsgoggles Thu 8/11/2005 11:00AM

Parsonsgoggles

$$$$ for Deborah, no thanks...

Greenjah starstarstarstarstar Thu 8/11/2005 11:15AM

Greenjah

Phil's apparently moving his son into a dorm that weekend, his statement is on his website....The point being it's not who won't be there, it's who WILL be there and the reason behind this incredible night.

bbqribs has it right -"put that in your pipe and smoke it". It's going to be incredible, no matter who is or isn't there.....

breilly Thu 8/11/2005 01:26PM

I remember being in the will-call line at the Greek in '87 hoping to score one from someone when the box office miraculously opened and we jumped into that line and got tickets the easy way for once, sooo cool. They did Watchtower for the first time (w/o Dylan) after Dylan left the tour, amazing. A guy was naked, stuck upsidedown in a garbage can by the stage that night, and the clouds over the UCB quad grassy area on campus that day were very kelidoscopic!!! Have a great time at the show, worth every penny, call in sick! Brian in Minnesota

rpmills Thu 8/11/2005 05:02PM

Has anyone bought tix yet? I sent a payment through paypal to Rex Foundation for 2 of the premium reserved seats but I have not got a response yet from them. Anyone know what the deal is?
P.S. The show is going to rock Trey/Jimmy/Bob/Warren these guys will bring down the house!!!...and I also wish Phil and his son a safe and fun time during the move.

buckdancer starstarstarstar Thu 8/11/2005 09:40PM

Hey, Phil I hope you can wrap yourself around this milestone of your son's life and as a mother who has to make similar choices every day....hey you can't make everybody happy everyday.....family is number one....blood as well as the greater....I respect your decision and applaud it !! I miss Jerry dearly.... I am sure you will be there in spirit and join any "extras" asap......nothing left to do but :-)..........

Stagerli Fri 8/12/2005 10:26AM

read the posts ahead Phil will be moving his son that day and will not be there.

Franklintower Sat 8/13/2005 07:11AM

I read phils book cover to cover. I understand he's moving his son. But if he truly loved Jerry and Jerry impacted his life as much as he stated in writting he will work fast and in the eve plug in that base. Don't understand how he can let his friends and fans down. This is the life you chose, Come on with the," Father knows best." Have you forgot us Uncle Phil?

Melian Sun 8/14/2005 07:32AM

I think we should all respect Phil's decision to make his family his top pririty. And, anyone who whines about Phil ignoring what they selfishly believe to be his first family -- Deadheads -- should remember that Phil has dedicated four decades to pleasing the likes of us. Who are we to question his decision to accompany his son as he embarks on one of the most important trips of his lifetime: college?

That being said, sure, I wish he was going to be there! But, his family, which helped him to change his life for the better, is his priority --and that's the way it should be. For those who don't get that: read his book. For those who claim to have read his book and still don't get it: read it again.

It still will be an awesome show!

waayxer Sun 8/14/2005 03:38PM

c'mon Phil...how are Trey, Warren, Jimmy going to channel Jerry without you?

fetal7 Tue 8/16/2005 09:55AM

i wish we could all know what was going on in Phils head this past august 9th (as well as the last ten years of that day)it is probably an extremely hard day for him as well as others that are close with jerry. they celebrate his life everytime they step on stage so the fact that he is going to be with his son that day is ok. there is life beyond the shows remember. also don't you think jerry might be a wee bit embarrasses by a show just for him...think about it, he would hate it.

phunkhead starstarstarstarstar Tue 8/16/2005 10:50AM

"$$$$ for Deborah, no thanks..."

Obviously you missed something here....."The concert is a benefit for the Rex Foundation, the public charitable organization established by the Grateful Dead and friends in 1984."

I'll be there with rings on my fingers and bells on my shoes!

foodiemon starstarstar Fri 8/26/2005 07:26PM

Lighten up on Phil...give the man a break! He will be there in spirit.We will smoke one for Jerry and rock out no matter what!

creekman starstarstarstar Sun 8/28/2005 11:34AM

Shit man,some of you folks out there still need to get a life and a frickin job to go with it.Yes it was a great time and a great run way back then.I think that Phil would say the same. There is a big ol'world out there beyond the Dead.You need to get with it before it passes you by.Or are some of you still the type that walk around with one finger in the air hoping for that"Miracle Ticket",that someone was suppose to give to you.I think not.Get off your ass and get a job and buy your ticket like the rest of us.I don't mean this to come off as to crass but it just seems to me that the same old dreg's are still whining about how selfish Phil is being because he want's to be with his son on what is probably his,Jill's and his son's biggest day's of thier lives.Many won't understand because they have not had to deal with your childs departure from home for the first time.It's quite a thing.But as usual thier will be some who never will understand because they are caught up in the "how could he miss such an event,he's just being selfish" B.S..I guess all I can say is there is life beyond the Grateful Dead!Jerry would probably be wondering what all the fuss is about.Look what he did when the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame.Cardboard cut out please!

WiloowRose Wed 9/7/2005 08:55PM

I've seen the the grateful dead/ the dead /ratdog/jerry band/ the other ones/phil and phriends/ crusader rabbit/ and I had my finger in the air and recieved a lot of choice free tickets...i also handed out many miracles ..i've been traveling and my wings are weathered but bobby has been fabulous this past summer and phil was phantastic in coloradothis july but ryan adams...well nevermind.
rex foundation benifit is truly going to miss phil.. i will be sad to see bobby micky and bill without phil..but hey we have melvin!...and the cheese...
last time I saw a show at the greek it was bobby and Keller or wait was it phil and les..well i saw both one was the last...anyway Phil will be in Vegas and then he is hitting the road right?
and to that fuckin' creekman weir here and your gone
family love and peace and light to all
till then
I'll keep on truckin' down that golden road with rings on my fingers and bells on my shoes enjoying the experieence of the heart of gold band

WiloowRose Wed 9/7/2005 09:02PM

vince wouldn't be invited.....tc was at the vibes but who needs them we have melvin seals!
steve winwood would be nice saw him with the dead in 03..but we have bruce hornsby on accordian....
suprises hmmmmhow about some members of the band or nrps...

torn&treyed starstarstarstarstar Fri 9/9/2005 06:36PM

We may need someone crazy on the bass and kieth rules but yknow.. I hate ryan adams he messed up one of my favorite bands. Does anyone think members of cheese might actually be on the same stage as trey. that will be weird. ...really weird oh and its cool if phil wants to sit it out.

LazyLightninLiz starstarstarstar Mon 9/26/2005 08:03PM

LazyLightninLiz

re: Phil missing this one
The last few Dead etal shows I have been to or heard,Phil has had a rebirth. Never mind the old days of yelling "Let Phil Sing" Ha Ha.. make Phil stop .. not that he isn't brilliant as a composer and bass player,but shit the Rsharps and the organ donor testimonials can get to ya. He has had more than his fair of fueds,as do we all but ,Hell,This sho was about a joyous tribute to Jer as wellas the Rex Foundation..both near and dear.

P.S. Anyone out there have the days' Set Lists?
Peace

kat101 Wed 9/28/2005 10:04AM

Heres the setlist for ya it was an awesome night.

This is not "official" but it's a start. Oddly amusing that the power went out when Trey hit the stage.

David Nelson, Sandy Rothman, & Brian Godchaux
7 songs, 30 minutes

String Cheese members w/Scott Law on guitar:
5 songs, 30 minutes

Friend of the Devil
Catfish John
Casey Jones (also w/Jeff Chimenti)
Goin'Down the Road Feelin' Bad
Ripple

The "Jerry" Band
5 songs, 30 minutes

Cats Down Under The Stars
Rhapsody In Red
That Lucky Old Sun
My Sisters & My Brothers
Deal (also w/Warren Haynes) ***Also with Merle Saunders joining Melvin Seals on keys***

Ratdog
4 songs, 30 minutes

Mississippi 1/2 Step
Bird Song
Lazy River Road
Big Railroad Blues

Rex Foundation speakers
Annabelle Garcia, and family speak briefly

8:10pm to 11:00pm The Jerry Garcia Tribute Band

Olin Arageed (Hamza El Din)
Help on The Way (Trey) *Power failure, house sound goes completely out for a minute or two.*
Slipknot!
Sugaree (Warren)
Loser (Bruce)
Brown Eyed Woman (Michael Kang)
Dark Star (Bobby)
Bertha (Warren)
Eyes of The World (Trey)
(Bobby intros a few folks)
Standing on The Moon (Bruce)
Scarlet Begonias (Bruce)
Fire on The Mountain (Mickey)
Stella Blue (Warren)
The Wheel (Bobby)
Uncle John's Band (All)
He's Gone (Bobby)
Franklin's Tower (Trey)

Encores:

Brokedown Palace (Bobby)
Dark Star v.2 (Bobby)
Touch of Grey

Group bow
Mickey: "Take this spirit home with you..."