DSO KEYBOARDIST & CO-FOUNDER PASSES

From DarkStarOrchestra.net:

PEACE BE WITH YOU, SCOTT Our bandmate, our brother, our friend

Dark Star Orchestra keyboardist and co-founder Scott Larned passed away of heart failure Sunday afternoon. This is quite a sudden shock for all of us and will take some time for us to process.

Scott was a leader, co-founder and, for years, the band's manager helping guide this thing through some tricky waters in the early goings. His swirling Hammond organ and glassy piano trills captured the eighties-era sound backed up by a most effective growling Mydland-esque voice. He will be missed both on and off the stage.

The Larned family has asked us to thank all of you for the outpouring of emotions you have shown. The family's service will be private but they will bring with them the love, memories and thoughts you have expressed. It is comforting for them to know that so many kind people were a part of Scott's life. We thank them for sharing him with us.

As mentioned above, we are still in shock and need to take some time to get our bearings. For now, we are canceling the remaining dates of the Spring tour with our deepest apologies. Please check back at the website for information on a memorial as well as donations in Scott's name in lieu of flowers.

On a more personal note: When I first started working on this website for the band, Scott was the one with whom I collaborated. He would have been proud of the fact that I didn't end that last sentence with a preposition, for instance. In a previous but simultaneous life, he had been a teacher and the site became another student's paper to grade. One time in the early years he said to me, "I can trust you to write what I would and not have to proofread every word." And so I tried to live up to that compliment. I now knew at least part of my audience and spent many hours just trying to make Scott smile when he would check in. It had been a cinch... a silly photo, a casual inside joke... it wasn't hard to find something to say. Until this Sunday. The first thing that I thought was "what would he want me to say?" followed by the realization that without him I had no grade, no teacher and, worst of all, no friend to make smile. If the site seems not up to its usual caliber in the coming weeks, I apologize in advance for I have lost one hell of a creative mind to work with. (Sorry for that last preposition, Scott...)

-Webmaster Ed

JamBase | Rest In Peace

[Published on: 4/25/05]

Comments

cosmicbrian Mon 4/25/2005 01:11PM

Scott was a great anchor for DSO..he played each note with the skill of a mason and the emotion of a poet. We spoke shortly after a show in Madison's Barrymore and I was amazed by how calm and centered he was in the middle of an epic tour sitting in the back of a bus. It was the music..he carried the torch, and he was surley enjoying the ride. Rawk on brother man.

The Glick Mon 4/25/2005 01:56PM

The Glick

We'll all miss Scott.

thunder65 Mon 4/25/2005 04:02PM

your playing in the band with jerry now turn on your lovelight and let it shine peace be with you always a dso fan from florida

Tripps86 Mon 4/25/2005 05:16PM

This is extremely sad news. I heard this morning, and I still really don't know what to say. Another young, talented musician taken away from us when he still had a lifetime more to give.
I know you're rockin' up in Heaven with Jerry. Fare you well, Scott!

bewofthe Mon 4/25/2005 05:29PM

all the good ones go early.

oldmanclemins starstarstarstarstar Mon 4/25/2005 06:48PM

such a long long time to be gone,and a short time to be there.you rocked.i hope the rest of you are doing ok and i hope to see you on the road again in the future

chevman Tue 4/26/2005 09:18AM

peace be with you...thanks for the great gift of music you have shared with those of us you know and those of us you don.t know!! mike s

Snatcher Tue 4/26/2005 11:23AM

Man, it makes me angry how bad of luck the keyboard seat has had over the years in the grateful dead world. I love DSO and sincerely feel that they, at times, can sound better than the survivng members do. I hope they find a replacement immediately, because I need my dead fix!

coffeemanchris Tue 4/26/2005 04:36PM

Melisiciousness starstarstarstarstar Tue 4/26/2005 11:51PM

Melisiciousness

You take for granted those people in your life,
Thinking they'll always be there.
You'll regret not giving that last good-bye,
And letting them know how much you care.
Why do these things happen so sudden,
And bringing along such pain.
Oh how we'll miss those magic keys,
Without you, Scott, it won't be the same.
Thanks for your kindness and I'll be thinking of you when I paint my next masterpiece. melissa b

spestagus Thu 4/28/2005 07:59AM

your spirit will live on.
Thanks for so many good shows your energy will be felt
just another bright star in a dark sky, Anyone who sings a song that sweet is passing by. We love You!

ledcheesehead86 starstarstarstarstar Thu 4/28/2005 07:31PM

I remember my first real show of the music i love today and that was a DSO show, i can honestly say that show and the music in it changed my life, and all for the better. I would like to take a moment to thank you for everything you have done for not only me but all of us here. continue to play your sweet songs in the next world

hobarttaz Fri 4/29/2005 11:14PM

Scott,

You helped us to channel our favorite music, our life soundtrack. Thank you for expressing yourself and for always being so humble and positive there behind the keys of the darkstar orchestra. We love, and we will miss you

JJT Sat 4/30/2005 11:21AM

Thanks for all the magical times you gave us!! Fare You Well..

darkstar_420 starstarstarstarstar Sat 4/30/2005 04:57PM

an incredible muscian and a wonderful person, we will miss you Scott